Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

How many more years do you give Pitino?

Home for Gopher Basketball
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: How many more years do you give Pitino?

Post by HeHateMe »

Eric Musselman has done really well, read about him earlier saying most of his guys are back next year? Just looked at the roster... Stephens and Cooke are seniors.. rest are junior and freshman. I'd be surprised if he leaves after this season... after next year, maybe...
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:29 pm Eric Musselman has done really well, read about him earlier saying most of his guys are back next year? Just looked at the roster... Stephens and Cooke are seniors.. rest are junior and freshman. I'd be surprised if he leaves after this season... after next year, maybe...
Money talks. I do think Pitino will be back one more year. I don't think the buyout means as much since this AD didn't hire him but they will probably give him another year.

I would say 70% chance he is back. Problem I have is I don't think this team is anything special next year but will look a lot better than this year obviously. So what do you do? I guess you have to let it play out but I think it's delaying the inevitable. They have to make the NCAA Tourney next year. I don't care if they look better etc.. It's time for results. Even if it's a bubble team that gets throttled first round, I'm still moving on.

Do you really think next year's team is capable of more? I don't see it.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:10 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:29 pm Eric Musselman has done really well, read about him earlier saying most of his guys are back next year? Just looked at the roster... Stephens and Cooke are seniors.. rest are junior and freshman. I'd be surprised if he leaves after this season... after next year, maybe...
Money talks. I do think Pitino will be back one more year. I don't think the buyout means as much since this AD didn't hire him but they will probably give him another year.

I would say 70% chance he is back. Problem I have is I don't think this team is anything special next year but will look a lot better than this year obviously. So what do you do? I guess you have to let it play out but I think it's delaying the inevitable. They have to make the NCAA Tourney next year. I don't care if they look better etc.. It's time for results. Even if it's a bubble team that gets throttled first round, I'm still moving on.

This program has had like 5 winning big ten seasons in the last 25-30 years, maybe it's even more years total. I remember counting it up a couple years ago when people act like this is as perennial tourney team or it has been, it might be like one in every 5 years. Pretty bad. money talks? Yeah well look at the numbers they bring in as an athletic department when ticket prices are way up.. it's like 10th or 11th in the big ten. Hockey doesn't produce... they've spent a lot on Fleck to beef up that program because at the end of the day, that's the biggest money maker.

I don't know what to expect next year in terms of how far they go, I think they need a grad transfer guard to come in and stablize the backcourt like Springs was able to do. Up front they will be really good if Coffey/Murphy return, Curry + Oturu... Oturu is going to be a really good player. Top 50 recruit who plays hard all the time.. my baseline expectations are a tournament berth next year or I'd fire Pitino. Lots of local talent coming up in the 19 and 20 classes too... something to monitor going forward if they are going to make a change.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:58 pm
Rubetube wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:10 pm

This program has had like 5 winning big ten seasons in the last 25-30 years, maybe it's even more years total. I remember counting it up a couple years ago when people act like this is as perennial tourney team or it has been, it might be like one in every 5 years. Pretty bad. money talks? Yeah well look at the numbers they bring in as an athletic department when ticket prices are way up.. it's like 10th or 11th in the big ten. Hockey doesn't produce... they've spent a lot on Fleck to beef up that program because at the end of the day, that's the biggest money maker.

I don't know what to expect next year in terms of how far they go, I think they need a grad transfer guard to come in and stablize the backcourt like Springs was able to do. Up front they will be really good if Coffey/Murphy return, Curry + Oturu... Oturu is going to be a really good player. Top 50 recruit who plays hard all the time.. my baseline expectations are a tournament berth next year or I'd fire Pitino. Lots of local talent coming up in the 19 and 20 classes too... something to monitor going forward if they are going to make a change.
Yes it will be interesting. We will see what happens down the final stretch here. I hope we at least beat Wisconsin.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

This season is lost, they can lose out for all I care.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

They just keep turning in gutless performances. It’s sad really.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Pitino buyout after this season: $4.05 mil
Buyout after 18-19 $2.7 mil

translation, I think he's pretty safe this offseason.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:15 pm Pitino buyout after this season: $4.05 mil

Pathetic if they are worried over less than 1 and a half mill. No wonder they are such a joke when it comes to the major sports. If he's not the guy, you do it now. Don't waste Murphy's last year etc..

This is a good situation for a new coach to come to next year. You wait a year and it becomes what Pitino stepped into when Tubby was fired.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:22 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:15 pm Pitino buyout after this season: $4.05 mil

Pathetic if they are worried over less than 1 and a half mill. No wonder they are such a joke when it comes to the major sports. If he's not the guy, you do it now. Don't waste Murphy's last year etc..

This is a good situation for a new coach to come to next year. You wait a year and it becomes what Pitino stepped into when Tubby was fired.
A year from now they'll have Coffey, Curry, Oturu, Washington, Kalscheur, Thomas, Hurt, Harris all back. That's not a losing situation.

Doogie confirmed there's no way they pay the buyout right now. Do you really think firing Pitino right now, with one open scholarship for next season is going to make a huge difference?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:28 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:22 pm

A year from now they'll have Coffey, Curry, Oturu, Washington, Kalscheur, Thomas, Hurt, Harris all back. That's not a losing situation.

Doogie confirmed there's no way they pay the buyout right now. Do you really think firing Pitino right now, with one open scholarship for next season is going to make a huge difference?
I'm not that hell bent on firing him right now. I'm ready to move on but I can deal with another year. I just don't think anything is going to change and I worry they are mediocre next year and they say it is enough of an improvement.

Like I said before, if someone they like becomes available you make that move now. If not, wait until next year.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

If they don't (at minimum) do what they did last year, I'd fire him a year from now too. You can't do it right now though... I think you convince Murphy the team will be built around him with help coming in Oturu, Curry and Coffey both healthy.... I am curious what they do with the last scholarship, by all accounts they're swinging for the fences with the best guards remaining. Besides Simons and another guard whose name escapes me, they're after 4 star combo guard Trey McGowens.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Style wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:36 pm I give him all of next season for sure. This year was a disaster from the get-go with Curry’s injury and everything else that happened. Still, this is disappointing as we still have 4 starters from a projected Sweet-16ish team playing.

Next year’s team should win at least one tournament game.

Washington
McBrayer/Harris/Gabe
Coffey/Hurt/Jarvis
Murphy/Curry
Oturu/Stockman

3 returning starters. All-Conference Murphy and a highly recruited Oturu. Get it done, Pitino!
:clap: