Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gophers Football thread

Home for Gopher football topics
jffl_commish

Re: Gophers Football thread

Post by jffl_commish »

What a crock of shit call.
Let's get Tropical
bri

Post by bri »

What are these refs smoking
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

There, fuck you refs.
Let's get Tropical
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

at least they didnt call it an incomplete pass, but what the fuck?
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

okay, good. Would have hated for that BS call to linger all game.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Ibrahim is possessed. Wow what a game for that dude.
Let's get Tropical
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Over 200 yards rushing today.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Straight Edge Raven

Post by Straight Edge Raven »

I've been Comcasted! LOL
Slava Ukraini
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
bri

Post by bri »

Straight Edge Raven wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:15 pm I've been Comcasted! LOL
Thought it was just me
Straight Edge Raven

bri wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:18 pm
Thought it was just me
Sounds like a National issue on Comcast. ESPN2, Fox Sports North, NBC Sports Network, have also heard NBC Sports Chicago are all doing it. Just sports channels..........I think the game is over I see people walking on the field giving pixelated hugs
Slava Ukraini
bri

Post by bri »

Straight Edge Raven wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:20 pm
Thought it was just me
Sounds like a National issue on Comcast. ESPN2, Fox Sports North, NBC Sports Network, have also heard NBC Sports Chicago are all doing it. Just sports channels..........I think the game is over I see people walking on the field giving pixelated hugs
How does comcast suck so bad
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Just think about this: next year they have Smith, Brooks, and Ibrahim. Yikes.
Let's get Tropical
Straight Edge Raven

bri wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:24 pm

Thought it was just me
Just think of it as the 90's....when you tried to watched the naughty channels or HBO and the hope you might catch a tit in all the pixilation!
Slava Ukraini
bri

Post by bri »

Straight Edge Raven wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:31 pm
bri wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:24 pm

Just think of it as the 90's....when you tried to watched the naughty channels or HBO and the hope you might catch a tit in all the pixilation!
Good ol skinemax
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

jffl_commish wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:28 pm Just think about this: next year they have Smith, Brooks, and Ibrahim. Yikes.
Don't forget Bryce Williams, who showed plenty his freshman year too. If Brooks or Smith are grad transfer eligible, I could definitely see one of them moving on.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

GT seemed completely disinterested in being at the game, like it was beneath them. PJ had his guys fighting and ready. A complete ass whooping.
Drizzay

Post by Drizzay »

That was fun. The defense is going to be spectacular in the years to come.
Tell your story walkin'!
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

That Faalele kid is going to be the highest drafted Gopher since Laurence Maroney.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Wonderful win for Fleck & Co!

ROW
THE
BOAT
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:25 pm That Faalele kid is going to be the highest drafted Gopher since Laurence Maroney.
This is his second year of football. Damn, he's going to be incredible as he grows and gets some experience. Him and Dunlap next to each other is going to be ridiculous.
Let's get Tropical
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

Nice dominant win. Gophers will be even better next year. Nice finish to the season after Rossi took over. Wish they had him in there for a couple other winnable games. 👍
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
Ski

Post by Ski »

full force five

Post by full force five »

Smith, Brooks and Ibrahim is one hell of a 3 headed monster. Williams might redshirt or have to wait his turn. Smith and Brooks have a bad history of staying healthy so all 3 will help. Out O-Line will be awesome next year, we started 3 freshman in that game: Dunlap, Andries and Faalele. Andries and Faalele have serious NFL potential both were just rag-dolling whoever they blocked. Our D is young as well!
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Do people still want Fleck fired? Lol
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Ski

Post by Ski »

full force five wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:32 am Smith, Brooks and Ibrahim is one hell of a 3 headed monster. Williams might redshirt or have to wait his turn. Smith and Brooks have a bad history of staying healthy so all 3 will help. Out O-Line will be awesome next year, we started 3 freshman in that game: Dunlap, Andries and Faalele. Andries and Faalele have serious NFL potential both were just rag-dolling whoever they blocked. Our D is young as well!
That was my biggest question after the game. Been really impressed with Ibrahim this year. That's a lot of RB's for next year. Hate to lose any of the due to playing time.

Fun to end the season on a high note, finally beating Becky and nice but kicking in an oil change bowl. Looking forward to next year!

As a Gopher fan, hell MN fan, I am used to saying wait till next year, but really mean it for this team and been saying it all year. Make or break year to see if PJ is the real deal or not.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:53 am Do people still want Fleck fired? Lol
Nice finish to the season, but let's not gloss over how they got here. Had he not finally wised up and got rid of a guy that many fans were highly skeptical of from day one yeah, plenty of people would want him fired.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

feekdogg wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:39 am
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:53 am Do people still want Fleck fired? Lol
Nice finish to the season, but let's not gloss over how they got here. Had he not finally wised up and got rid of a guy that many fans were highly skeptical of from day one yeah, plenty of people would want him fired.
Happens in the pros a lot where players don't give a full effort to get a coach fired, sounds like there were some major issues on defense. Either way, all signs pointed to the team on the rise over the next couple of years. I didn't care about the record this year necessarily but now with winning 7 and guys have a lot more experience heading into next year, the expectations begin to go up. Things are trending to the right direction and people wanted Fleck out during this year... I don't get it.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Nice end to the season for sure. Really excited about the right side of our line and our run game. Wow, could be impressive.
full force five

Post by full force five »

They are really stacking along the O-line and D-line. You needs studs here to consistently beat Iowa, Wisconsin and Nebraska the Gophers are doing that with the last two classes. Augment with some nice WR's and RB's and you have a winning formula.
Style

Post by Style »

Fun game. I kept waiting for the "Minnesota Thing" to happen, but it just never did. Kudos to the team for putting away GT and sealing the win!

Coaching:

I was in the very skeptical club midway through the season when teams like Nebraska and Illinois were blowing us out. It appears that most of the issue was with Robb Smith who I wanted fired very early in the season. I'm not sure how he even came to be our DC in the first place, everything I seemed to read about the guy prior to his arrival here was negative. Regardless, he's gone now and Rossi seems to be pretty solid. He was able to contain Taylor from Wisconsin and the triple option in the bowl game. This was after the team looked completely incapable of stopping the run (especially on the edge) versus the Illini. Good on PJ to have the 'difficult conversation' with Robb and to get the team defense moving in the right direction.

I think PJ Fleck is a good HC for our program. I still have my reservations about his XO ability, but as long as he has quality coordinators in that area, it's less of a concern. I believe the more Fleck gets involved in the day-to-day gameplanning, the more in trouble the program becomes as a result. I believe Fleck is at his best when he can let his OC/DC and support staff do the 'nitty gritty' while Fleck goes on camera and says fancy things like RTB and FAMILY. Fleck drives the interest and the players here, they get coached up by someone else. I think that's a decent plan for a Minnesota football program. I see he recently brought some early 30s coach into the program. I get leery when he brings in younger coaches that seem to have goals bigger than assistant coaches for UM. I don't want an open door Brewster-like coaching staff to develop. The only coach I can think of that has left has been that DB coach who went to A&M so maybe the problem isn't really a problem, but it's something I'm watching closely.

Offense:

Again I admit I was wrong about Faalele. I was moaning and groaning when they burned his redshirt. The coaching staff was right and I was wrong. He played a huge role in the improvement of the offense. His future is very bright. I believe he has NFL potential. It seemed like Dunlap and Andries were rotating at RG last night. I was with the in-laws so I wasn't watching extremely close, but I was looking for Dunlap and at times would see those pasty white arms of Andries. Were they doing some type of LT/RG rotation with Dunlap and Schlueter with Andries always in the game? As noted above, 3 FR played last night on the OL. One will still be a FR next season. The return of Olson makes just the center position to fill. With the number of OL Fleck took last year, I assume one of those RS FR will be ready to step in and contribute. Very young, very promising OL and I believe the key to this season's ending success. Win in the trenches came to fruition against the Badgers and Yellow Jackets.

There seems to be a bit of a QB controversy heading into next season. This time, unlike the Rhoda/Croft or Leidner/Anyone With A Pulse eras, this controversy seems to involve two quality candidates. I believe Morgan has the leg up due to his season ending success, but again I believe Annexstad has a higher ceiling with better arm talent. We're in pretty good shape with both of those two hopefully continuing to progress into next year being just sophomores. The Clark kid they brought in seems to be the most talented of all the QBs on the roster, but I'd ideally RS him to keep him two years behind Morgan/Annexstad. I think that should be doable with still getting four games to maintain his RS. I love Green on this team. He's such a weapon in short yardage situations that I'd consider looking for a specific player to recruit to fill his role upon his graduation. I like what we have in the QB room and that doesn't seem to be changing for a few more years.

Skill position players are probably the best I've seen at MN in many years. Obviously WR and RB is looking good. The critique would be a TE that can stretch the field and make a play in the passing game. That's an element that has been missing since Maxx Williams left. We have Schlueter to be an OT/TE swing player for obvious running situations, yet seem to lack that vertical threat in the passing game to keep defenses honest from eventually doubling up on both Johnson and Bateman.

This group as a whole is in really good shape.

Defense:

I'm concerned about this unit as a whole despite the last two games of showing great improvement. I'm afraid Claeys' poor recruiting efforts could lead to a dip in performance next year. I shouldn't put it all on Claeys as the expulsions obviously also played a role in the depleted depth.

I'm most concerned about the DL. This is probably why Fleck recruited numerous DL. I'm hopeful his recruiting efforts along the DL will yield similar results to that of his recruiting of OL last year. I'd like to see Coughlin moved around a bit more next season. He's so athletically gifted that it seems he could thrive so much more if he were given more freedom in the defense. He wasn't able to do that this year due to attrition and the need for DE help, but I think with the recruits coming aboard we could maybe get him in different positions to make plays all over the field.

LB/DB has some high end talent with Barber/Winfield. That Rush guy I think he was #8 looked really good in the moments he played during scrub times. That guy was all over the field. I have high hopes for him. It seems like next year might be a year where defensive players have to step up and contribute as true FR more than I'd ideally like to see.

With what appears to be a lack of depth going into next year on the defensive side of the ball and a new, fairly unproven DC, I think this unit is going to 'make or break' next season's success. If some of the FR are the real deal similar to Bateman/Faalele on O, we could be in for a really fun season.

All in all it was a good season. Fun start, bad middle, fun ending.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald