Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gophers Football thread

Home for Gopher football topics
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Re: Gophers Football thread

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Bateman is going to break out this season.

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:51 pm Bateman is going to break out this season.

Agreed. The physical difference in him could be massively impactful because he definitely has the "it" factor in my opinion. This offense could be the real deal for a change!
Style

Post by Style »

And so it begins. Annexstad out indefinitely with a foot injury.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Style wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:55 pm And so it begins. Annexstad out indefinitely with a foot injury.
I'd normally be pretty concerned, but I think Morgan showed he can handle the starting duties. Let's hope Annexstad's injury isn't a season long thing.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

I thought Morgan was the better QB last season but you hate to see him take the job like this. Hopefully it’s not super long term for Zach.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:51 pm Bateman is going to break out this season.

I'd say he already did with 700 something yards and 6 TDs as a freshman.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:40 am I thought Morgan was the better QB last season but you hate to see him take the job like this. Hopefully it’s not super long term for Zach.
Yeah, it sucks that Anexstad got hurt, but let’s be honest, none of the gopher qb’s are really good.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Bob Wiley wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:08 am
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:40 am I thought Morgan was the better QB last season but you hate to see him take the job like this. Hopefully it’s not super long term for Zach.
Yeah, it sucks that Anexstad got hurt, but let’s be honest, none of the gopher qb’s are really good.
More hate comin from Bob..... :roll:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
hategreenticemase

If the OL is as good as advertised, and we know are above avg or better at both RB and WR, then whoever is qb needs only be decent to have a good season. This offense could be fun to watch if we get adequate qb play.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Annexstad didn't play in their wins vs. Purdue, Wisconsin or in the Bowl Game, nor was he an integral part in their overall late season resurgence.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

That was the best QB play the Gophers have had in a long time granted, not saying much), and it came from a pair of freshmen. Expecting actual competency there this season, which could lead to a very fun offense.
Let's get Tropical
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

jffl_commish wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:54 am That was the best QB play the Gophers have had in a long time granted, not saying much), and it came from a pair of freshmen. Expecting actual competency there this season, which could lead to a very fun offense.
It was bizarre actually seeing guys who could throw last year, and a coaching staff that wasn't afraid to try plays down the field. Havent seen this kind of competency in the passing game since Cupito.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Hornets wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:24 am
More hate comin from Bob..... :roll:
That’s hate to you? Who, in your opinion, is really good?
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Striggow from Orono committed.
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

JPM wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:50 pm Striggow from Orono committed.
WHO??
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Hornets wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:35 pm
JPM wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:50 pm Striggow from Orono committed.
WHO??
It's always "Who" with this club.

Imagine if they have had a QB worth a shit.

Webber and Cuputo are their two best in recent memory. Lol.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

y'all said the same thing about walk on Cashman.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

JUST IN: TSU quarterback Demry Croft charged with multiple counts of rape and sexual battery. He's already bonded out of jail: bit.ly/2KWAWaF
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

JPM wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:24 pm JUST IN: TSU quarterback Demry Croft charged with multiple counts of rape and sexual battery. He's already bonded out of jail: bit.ly/2KWAWaF
6 counts... jaysus!
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
NutCupGuy

Post by NutCupGuy »

The goofs will play in a bowl game this year.

Also, Demry Croft made Mitch Leidner look like John Elway.
2016 Masters Pool Champion*

*Indicates award won on a now deceased MDSTMB
hategreenticemase

NutCupGuy wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:20 pm The goofs will play in a bowl game this year.

Also, Demry Croft made Mitch Leidner look like John Elway.
:lol:

Checkout the "Demry Croft is a superstar" thread. It's a classic.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

WHAT A TD BY BATEMAN!
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I was really excited for this season. I'm not any more. The play from both lines was awful at best. The special teams, ugh. First game jitters and the little school that could aside, that was a pretty bad performance. Hopefully they wake up next week.
Let's get Tropical
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:07 am I was really excited for this season. I'm not any more. The play from both lines was awful at best. The special teams, ugh. First game jitters and the little school that could aside, that was a pretty bad performance. Hopefully they wake up next week.
First game of the year is a gong show very often. Look at 2011. Kill's first game with a horrible roster, they went to LA and damn near beat USC. Trojans finished 10-2 that year. We'll have a much better idea what this team actually is in a month.
JigglyPuff

Post by JigglyPuff »

Gophers barely beat an FCS team. They're fucked, guys!
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

JigglyPuff wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:12 pm Gophers barely beat an FCS team. They're fucked, guys!
THANKS!!
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:18 am
jffl_commish wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:07 am I was really excited for this season. I'm not any more. The play from both lines was awful at best. The special teams, ugh. First game jitters and the little school that could aside, that was a pretty bad performance. Hopefully they wake up next week.
First game of the year is a gong show very often. Look at 2011. Kill's first game with a horrible roster, they went to LA and damn near beat USC. Trojans finished 10-2 that year. We'll have a much better idea what this team actually is in a month.
I tend to agree with this, and note I only saw last quarter and was only able to listen on radio for first 3 quarters, but one thing that surprised me was we didn't dominate in trenches. First game, "little engine that could vs big brother", young team etc - none of that means jack shit for not dominating them at Los. Baffling
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

To further hammer my "stop playing regional FCS schools because no good can come from it" point home, #21 Iowa State needed to recover their own fumble at the one-yard line in the 3rd OT in order to beat Northern Iowa.
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:11 pm To further hammer my "stop playing regional FCS schools because no good can come from it" point home, #21 Iowa State needed to recover their own fumble at the one-yard line in the 3rd OT in order to beat Northern Iowa.
Not a lot to gain and a lot to lose. That said, here, where we have to beg people to go to games, it can be a good attendance boost.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Did the Gophers recruit Trey Lance from Marshall? He’s a redshirt freshman QB for NDSU and he is going to be another stud when all is said and done. Granted they played a pretty bad Butler team at Target Field yesterday but he showed accuracy and he’s got some wheels. If the Gophers didn’t recruit him they missed out big time