Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gophers Football thread

Home for Gopher football topics
feekdogg

Re: Gophers Football thread

Post by feekdogg »

Mandatory wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:18 am I know this is a pipe dream but if Maryland can get Jalen Hurts to look their way why aren't we going after any of these transfer QBs?
They had backdoor conversations with Kalil Tate (no homo), but he decided to return to Arizona.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:52 am
Mandatory wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:18 am I know this is a pipe dream but if Maryland can get Jalen Hurts to look their way why aren't we going after any of these transfer QBs?
They had backdoor conversations with Kalil Tate (no homo), but he decided to return to Arizona.
Did they even try homo? Fleck got outworked. Sad.
Ketchup can be nuancy
milquetoast

Post by milquetoast »

milquetoast wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:46 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:52 am
feekdogg wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:17 pm
Of course they do. But it's usually guys who weren't good enough who go elsewhere looking for playing time. DB is about as thin as it can be. Two guys, one with a burned red shirt going elsewhere when PT is guaranteed? Huge red flag. It's not like Claeys recruited those two. These are 2 highly touted PJ recruits in a position of need bolting after a year.
And yeah, the Vic issue is unique. First, Fleck states how much he doesn't like Jucos, because that isn't the right way to build a program. But he's able to pull this guy and nobody bats an eye. But it turns out that he's just a bigger dude who ran over talentless JC scrubs. And he quits before Fleck runs him out. Never even makes day 1 of official practice. And now they enter the year with one QB on scholarship. Idiotic.
Vic has a long history of bolting teams, and he still has three years of eligibility...maybe that should have been a red flag for PJ. However, he had to try to hit a homerun...he just simply wasnt left with anything at QB. As far as him saying JUCO isnt the way to build a program...he never said he won't recruit JUCO. JUCO can help patch some holes in recruiting, and it would be dumb to not use it. For these lower tier Power 5 programs with new coaches, you have to do some patching in the first few years.

Further on Vic...he clearly isnt who PJ thought he was. For the transfer back to JUCO, maybe it had something to do with grades? Rumor is he is switching positions...he could have just done that while staying with the Gophers. He also could have went to FCS ala Streveler, and ran over some less talented players there. Going back to JUCO very well could be a sign of academic eligibility.
I see he made the Winnipeg Blue Bombers roster. Know who didn't ....... Philip Nelson.
He's back ...........

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
When fact is fiction and TV reality
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Blake Cashman ran a 4.5 40.

Well, alright then. Never really considered him a real draft prospect, more like a 6/7th-UDFA guy, but now with his athleticism being validated with the almighty 40, who knows how high he can go. 4th round maybe?
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Cash is one the son of one of my best friends growing up. He's moving up the board in a big way.
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

JPM wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:56 am Cash is one the son of one of my best friends growing up. He's moving up the board in a big way.
Wanna try that again?! :lol:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:47 pm Blake Cashman ran a 4.5 40.

Well, alright then. Never really considered him a real draft prospect, more like a 6/7th-UDFA guy, but now with his athleticism being validated with the almighty 40, who knows how high he can go. 4th round maybe?
Was watchin FOX 9 Sports extra last night with Mrs Munger and they showed his 40 yard dash.....she says "yeah, he's fast"!
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Gophers got some 3/4 star RB commit. Has offers from Iowa, Kansas and Kansas State.

Here is a gopherholer's assessment of him after watching his youtube videos.
Super excited about this kid! He has some great moves. He uses hesitation and jump-cuts really well. He is getting his yards after contact. So many Hudl videos of running backs show guys running through big holes. Not this one. He reminds me of Barry Sanders in his moves and running style. Love this commitment!
Barry Sanders yo!!!
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Fire Fleck?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

HeHateMe wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:59 amFire Fleck?
Yes Please!
Jack Hoff

Post by Jack Hoff »

JPM wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:35 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:59 amFire Fleck?
Yes Please!
Why the fuck would you care cheesehead :lol:
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

gpg!
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Sounds like they've already found their QB from the 2021 class. Some Greek kid from Illinois.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

feekdogg wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:15 am Sounds like they've already found their QB from the 2021 class. Some Greek kid from Illinois.
Got a name? I’d like to find out more.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Bob Wiley wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:29 am
feekdogg wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:15 am Sounds like they've already found their QB from the 2021 class. Some Greek kid from Illinois.
Didn't want to say anything until the kid made it official, but here you go:

https://twitter.com/aajk_23?lang=en

His brother is also committed.

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota ... 130551286/
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

feekdogg wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:55 am

They are only sophomores in high school.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Bob Wiley wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:59 pm

Correct. And obviously kids change their minds all the time, but to have already decided to offer these guys (I assume the brother only got an offer if the QB was coming too) shows that this staff has learned not to make the same mistakes with QBs that Kill and Co. did.
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

feekdogg wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:08 pm
Bob Wiley wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:59 pm

Correct. And obviously kids change their minds all the time, but to have already decided to offer these guys (I assume the brother only got an offer if the QB was coming too) shows that this staff has learned not to make the same mistakes with QBs that Kill and Co. did.
Awesome! Fun to read their tweets. Welcome to MN!
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Nice gets. People seem high on that Athan kid. He may or may not be a great QB for this team, but you keep bringing in solid recruits like him year in and year out, youre gonna start finding some good QBs, and it seems PJ and co are getting some solid recruits in year in and year out at that position.

From the article posted...
Athan chose Minnesota over offers from Iowa State, Iowa, Syracuse, Tennessee, Virginia Tech and others
Some very solid offers for a kid who's still got two more years at the highschool level. Inevitably, some more offers will come in, lets hope he stays committed.
full force five

Post by full force five »

Some are saying Athan could eventually become a 5 star recruit, if nothing else he offer list is impressive. Look at what schools PJ is beating out now compared to Jerry Kill. Fleck is building a great program.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

full force five wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:14 am Fleck is building a great program.
That would be fun. Even competing for the Big 10 title every couple of years would be huge.
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

Anybody have 2019 Spring Game thoughts besides what was reported?
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

INSIJS wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:54 pm Anybody have 2019 Spring Game thoughts besides what was reported?
Well, I like the idea of givin that 400lb youngster the ball once in awhile!
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

Hornets wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:49 pm
INSIJS wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:54 pm Anybody have 2019 Spring Game thoughts besides what was reported?
As long as some tackler doesn’t take out his knee. Probably more risk of concussions too. Not even close to worth the risk given their stable of RBs.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

That freshman QB seemed to have a pretty solid arm. I wonder if he'll push the incumbents for PT?
Let's get Tropical
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

INSIJS wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:32 pm
As long as some tackler doesn’t take out his knee. Probably more risk of concussions too. Not even close to worth the risk given their stable of RBs.
When I watched the video of him with the ball that's the first thing I thought.....what if someone hit him low and he blew his knee out....IN A SPRING GAME! Guessin PJ told the defenders to not touch him below the waist!
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

Hornets wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:20 pm
INSIJS wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:32 pm

When I watched the video of him with the ball that's the first thing I thought.....what if someone hit him low and he blew his knee out....IN A SPRING GAME! Guessin PJ told the defenders to not touch him below the waist!
Except when PJ was asked if he would use him in that role this season he said something like we’d like to give him the ball as much as we can. Whether my memory is off is not the point. Anything more than zero carries is dumb.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

INSIJS wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:14 pm
You did the original rube chat kickball back in the day? So did I!
Let's get Tropical
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

jffl_commish wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:46 pm
INSIJS wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:14 pm
You did the original rube chat kickball back in the day? So did I!
Team Triple Nipple I think it was called. Fun times.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I was on Turd Burglars, or Butt Pirates, something like that. Ah to be young and dumb again. Now I'm just old and dumb.
Let's get Tropical