Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gophers Football thread

Home for Gopher football topics
bubu dubu.

Re: Gophers Football thread

Post by bubu dubu. »

feekdogg wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:16 pm Apparently Seth Green got moved from TE to WR because he gave the staff no choice. He caught everything thrown at him and they felt they were wasting his athletic ability if they kept him at TE.
Interesting to hear. I've been hearing mumblings that he's been pretty impressive. Just wonder why they'd move him out of TE, he'd be used mainly as a pass catching TE, and with how football is played now, the difference between TE and WR (with size) is not much. I wonder if this could possibly be an insight into poor WR depth?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:37 pm
feekdogg wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:16 pm Apparently Seth Green got moved from TE to WR because he gave the staff no choice. He caught everything thrown at him and they felt they were wasting his athletic ability if they kept him at TE.
Interesting to hear. I've been hearing mumblings that he's been pretty impressive. Just wonder why they'd move him out of TE, he'd be used mainly as a pass catching TE, and with how football is played now, the difference between TE and WR (with size) is not much. I wonder if this could possibly be an insight into poor WR depth?
I asked that same question and was told absolutely not. It has zero to do with a need for more WRs.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

feekdogg wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:56 am
I asked that same question and was told absolutely not. It has zero to do with a need for more WRs.
Feek, are you saying he may be in top 3-5 receivers possibly? He isnt that fast is he?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:08 am
feekdogg wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:56 am

Feek, are you saying he may be in top 3-5 receivers possibly? He isnt that fast is he?
I'm as skeptical as anyone, but the guy who told me this is extremely plugged in (He knew about the Viramontes disaster days before it came out). He told me that he is basically getting separation and catching everything they throw at him, no matter who covers him. I'm guessing there are many more opportunities to make plays for a WR in Fleck's offense. We'll see. It's certainly worth keeping an eye on.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Annexstad is going to start against NMSU.
It's what I expected, but that is still really interesting.
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:31 pm Annexstad is going to start against NMSU.
It's what I expected, but that is still really interesting.
Liking what I hear so far. Beating out the higher rated QB at IMG. Turning down scholarships to walk-on at MN. Family ties. Gotta love the confidence. Exciting to see some new blood out there. Hope he does well.
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

Annexstad's senior game tape looks pretty decent... looks like he's got some deceptive speed too...

I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
full force five

Post by full force five »

Folks keep bringing up the fact Annexstad is a walk on and it somehow speaks to his ability or status. Zack had offers from: Cincy, Illinois, Pitt, Southern Miss . . . a high 3 star recruit coming from IMG in Florida. He is could be really good.
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

full force five wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:49 am Folks keep bringing up the fact Annexstad is a walk on and it somehow speaks to his ability or status. Zack had offers from: Cincy, Illinois, Pitt, Southern Miss . . . a high 3 star recruit coming from IMG in Florida. He is could be really good.
I know he was set on excelling here, but for a QB depleted team, you’d think we would’ve offered a scholarship even before he won he job. Still no mention of a scholarship. Gotta ready the cameras, pomp and circumstance I suppose.

Gophers seem to have lucked into getting this kid.
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
milquetoast

Post by milquetoast »

INSIJS wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:39 pm
full force five wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:49 am Folks keep bringing up the fact Annexstad is a walk on and it somehow speaks to his ability or status. Zack had offers from: Cincy, Illinois, Pitt, Southern Miss . . . a high 3 star recruit coming from IMG in Florida. He is could be really good.
I know he was set on excelling here, but for a QB depleted team, you’d think we would’ve offered a scholarship even before he won he job. Still no mention of a scholarship. Gotta ready the cameras, pomp and circumstance I suppose.

Gophers seem to have lucked into getting this kid.
They grabbed his brother first (who just received a scholarship this year). Family has ties to the U of M. They are from Norseland (near St Peter) - and the kids opened enrolled to MWHS until they transferred to IMG in FLA.
Last edited by milquetoast on Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When fact is fiction and TV reality
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

I'm just guessing money isn't a huge issue at the Annexstad household... but he'll be on scholarship come January.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

What they should be talking about is that he's from Norseland, an unincorporated town in southern Minnesota that boasted a remarkable general store until it recently closed.
My dad used to bring home angel food candy from that store, Fact.
They sold candy the old fashioned way - weighing it on a brass scale, Fact.

Go Scott Annexstad's kid!
Go General Stores!
Go angel food candy!
Gone but not forgotten - my old man!
Ketchup can be nuancy
milquetoast

Post by milquetoast »

Ask Not wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:52 am
What they should be talking about is that he's from Norseland, an unincorporated town in southern Minnesota that boasted a remarkable general store until it recently closed.

Go General Stores!
Go angel food candy!
Let's not forget the Boy Scout camp!!
When fact is fiction and TV reality
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

milquetoast wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:24 pm
Nancy wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:52 am

Go General Stores!
Go angel food candy!
Let's not forget the Boy Scout camp!!
I threw rocks at a massive snapping turtle there. I'm not proud of the fact, but I'm not running from it either.
Ketchup can be nuancy
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Ask Not wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:52 am

Go General Stores!
Go angel food candy!
Question - didnt there used to be a whole separate board for college football? Are we seriously limited to one fucking thread?

I'm excited to see Annexstad. Hopefully we can finally get some decent QB play.

Ask not, you are pretty plugged in - what are you hearing regarding our rodents? You optimistic for the season.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Mitch "don't know what you got til it's gone" Leidner makes every QB since look pathetic so far.
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:29 pm

Go General Stores!
Go angel food candy!
Question - didnt there used to be a whole separate board for college football? Are we seriously limited to one fucking thread?

Nancy, you are pretty plugged in - what are you hearing regarding our rodents? You optimistic for the season.
Fleck is already qualifying expectations for this season the way he started referring to last year as 'year 0' midway through the year. I think he's hoping next year is the coming out party for the squad.

If Fleck isn't showing unbridled optimism in the face of declining ticket sales, I think we might be in for a long autumn.
Ketchup can be nuancy
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

My guess is this is a 6-6 team. I elevated them from 5-7, assuming Maryland's issues effect them on the field.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Ask Not wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:37 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:29 pm

Go General Stores!
Go angel food candy!

Nancy, you are pretty plugged in - what are you hearing regarding our rodents? You optimistic for the season.
Fleck is already qualifying expectations for this season the way he started referring to last year as 'year 0' midway through the year. I think he's hoping next year is the coming out party for the squad.

If Fleck isn't showing unbridled optimism in the face of declining ticket sales, I think we might be in for a long autumn.
I hate this shit.. and I'm not talking about Fleck's excuses.. I'm talking about unreasonable whiny fucking fans. What do you expect him to say? Do you really expect a 10 win team after year one when he was starting from the bottom? I'll accept these takes in year 3 when they are struggling to make a bowl game.

You assholes don't deserve this team or any other for that matter.

#BaltimoreStrong
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Gopher football fans are some of the bitchiest most petty people I've ever seen. The big fucking joke of the situation is you have no reason to be. I could understand if this was Michigan during the down years but get a fucking grip, Gophers have been garbage for half a century. One or two decent seasons a decade is a blessing and should be appreciated for what they are.

Fucking babys.

#BaltimoreStrong
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Mandatory wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:19 pm Gopher football fans are some of the bitchiest most petty people I've ever seen. The big fucking joke of the situation is you have no reason to be. I could understand if this was Michigan during the down years but get a fucking grip, Gophers have been garbage for half a century. One or two decent seasons a decade is a blessing and should be appreciated for what they are.

Fucking babys.
Basketball and football fans should "change their face" .... mediocre at best........ Fleck might have the team in a good spot in 2020.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Mandatory wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:19 pm Gopher football fans are some of the bitchiest most petty people I've ever seen. The big fucking joke of the situation is you have no reason to be. I could understand if this was Michigan during the down years but get a fucking grip, Gophers have been garbage for half a century. One or two decent seasons a decade is a blessing and should be appreciated for what they are.

Fucking babys.
I'll kill you.
Just give me a reason.
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

Fucking babys.
This is a spectacularly accurate post.
Lampin'
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:54 pm

Fucking babys.
I'll kill you.
Just give me a reason.

#BaltimoreStrong
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Flecknocchio
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

The oldsters are going to lose their shit when the team kicks off the season wearing all white unis at home.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Do they sell booze at the stadium? Gave my tickets up about 5 years ago and can't remember.

#BaltimoreStrong
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Mandatory wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:31 am Do they sell booze at the stadium? Gave my tickets up about 5 years ago and can't remember.
Beer and wine. If you want the hard stuff, you have to sneak it in.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

feekdogg wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:25 am
Mandatory wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:31 am Do they sell booze at the stadium? Gave my tickets up about 5 years ago and can't remember.
Beer and wine. If you want the hard stuff, you have to sneak it in.
Ahh yes.. I remember all the little booze bottles stacked up around the toilets.

#BaltimoreStrong
tbgh

Post by tbgh »

Gave up our seats, too, when they fucking doubled the price of a season ticket. That was pretty damn stupid.
Put 'er in the ole vise.