Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gopher Gameday!

A place to discuss Gopher Spots
Sid Hartman

Re: Gopher Gameday!

Post by Sid Hartman »

When does Gopher basketball start?
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

They are in deep shit.
Let's get Tropical
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Lol. SDSU looks like the better team. This would be a route if the Jackrabbits hadn't shot themselves in the foot.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

The defense is playing very poorly and the offensive line is extremely disappointing.
Let's get Tropical
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Oh my
A Kickass Offense

Post by A Kickass Offense »

I don't follow this shit that closely but figured they were in deep shit for this 1 when I heard both the KFAN and SKOR North guys saying this team could start the season 8-0.
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Can't wait for the Gopher bobo's to make excuses for this game win or lose.

They should be DESTROYING SDSU.
A Kickass Offense

DC4MVP wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:22 pm Can't wait for the Gopher bobo's to make excuses for this game win or lose.

Like I said, I was lead to believe this team had a legitimate chance to be 8-0
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

A Kickass Offense wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:26 pm
DC4MVP wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:22 pm Can't wait for the Gopher bobo's to make excuses for this game win or lose.

I'm not shocked local media drank the PJ Fleck Kool-Aid.

Snake oil salesman.
bri

Post by bri »

Morgan is a bad QB
SDSU killing the defense too
A Kickass Offense

DC4MVP wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:27 pm
A Kickass Offense wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:26 pm

I'm not shocked local media drank the PJ Fleck Kool-Aid.

Snake oil salesman.
The media should know better.

Fleck is just doing his job.
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

Gophers are going to lose this game
A Kickass Offense

SKOLMN wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:38 pm Gophers are going to lose this game
Impossible.

They can't start 8-0 if they lose.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

bri wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:27 pm Morgan is a bad QB
How the fuck is this Morgan's fault? The OL has been bad and the DL is a fucking embarrassment.
bri

Post by bri »

feekdogg wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:42 pm
bri wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:27 pm Morgan is a bad QB
How the fuck is this Morgan's fault? The OL has been bad and the DL is a fucking embarrassment.
Is he not allowed to change plays ? The lines have been bad, but so has he with making adjustments
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

TD Gophers

Squib kick the kickoff
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

Slim Shady wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:51 pm TD Gophers

Squib kick the kickoff
Fuck
bri

Post by bri »

Shaky 1-0 start
Style

Post by Style »

Never a doubt!
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

They got that one gift wrapped to them.

This defense is shit and the QB sucks but we already knew they didn't have a QB.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

Anyone surprised about the crowd size?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Slim Shady wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:05 pm Anyone surprised about the crowd size?
Why? Was it small or big?
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

SDSU is a solid team. These top tier FCS teams get so hyped to play these power 5 teams, they want to prove so much. I'm not surprised in the least about what happened tonight. When these kind of games are scheduled, you often get the power 5 team overlooking their matchup, and the FCS team being focused on the game since it was scheduled. Winning against a P5 for these FCS teams is a close 2nd to winning a championship at their level. Glad the Gophers escaped with a W. This is why you don't schedule teams like this...nothing to gain, so much to lose.
BigInflateable

Post by BigInflateable »

Disappointed to say the least. Was shocked to hear the halftime score 13-7. Thought, wow, the Gophers have probably had trouble getting started. Then tuned in, the score was 20-7, thought ok, they're going to start rolling now. Then, uh oh. As ubbu stated, the SD team is very talented. Ranked #3 in the country in FCS is no slouch. I was thinking about Michigan being beat by Appalachian State about 10 years ago. The whole country was shocked. Relieved that MN managed to wrap it up. The O line on the final scoring drive finally started pushing the tired out D line of SD around and off the ball. Still not impressed.
"You can tweet that."
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

I only caught the 4th quarter. Our offensive line is massive. Couldn't figure out how they couldn't dominate the jack rabbit's up front. Glad they got lucky on the fumble. Saw the Bateman TD highlight. That was fricken awesome!!
A Kickass Offense

Poor Berrario.

This must have been crushing after it looked like his precious Jackrabbits might leave town with the win.....
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

10 Takeaways:
1. Carter Coughlin. Thanks for showing up, bud. For a guy with NFL aspirations, that was a putrid performance.
2. Big Dan did not impress. I wonder if all the attention he's been getting has gone to his head.
3. Kamal Martin. I hope it was worth it.
4. Bateman. 132 yards in the first half. 0 in the second. Kirk Iaococa has some explaining to do. And don't tell me SDSU was good enough to take him out of the game.
5. Morgan. Terrible interception, but just fine after that. Every coach in the world will take a 72% completion rate all season long.
6. OL misses Jerad Weyler. The center is the glue that holds everything together.
7. Special teams were not good. At all. Kick coverage got bailed out by a (correctly called) holding penalty. Kill made special teams a strong point. Don't think Fleck values them as much.
8. He was big down the stretch, but I don't think Rodney is fully back. Ibrahim runs harder, but the line didn't do either guy any favors last night.
9. Stop trying to make that stupid bubble screen work. That's the kind of play that works against the Gophers; not for them.
10. 3-3 vs. the Dakotas in recent games, with the 3 wins all being nailbiters. STOP FUCKING SCHEDULING THEM. It's a no-win situation.
Last edited by feekdogg on Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:36 am SDSU is a solid team. These top tier FCS teams get so hyped to play these power 5 teams, they want to prove so much. I'm not surprised in the least about what happened tonight. When these kind of games are scheduled, you often get the power 5 team overlooking their matchup, and the FCS team being focused on the game since it was scheduled. Winning against a P5 for these FCS teams is a close 2nd to winning a championship at their level. Glad the Gophers escaped with a W. This is why you don't schedule teams like this...nothing to gain, so much to lose.
Gophers knew damn well what they were getting in SDSU. Of course they were going to be jacked up just like any other FCS team when playing a P5 school. The Gophers should of come into the game telling themselves let’s put the hurt to this FCS team and leave no doubt why they are the superior team. But it was basically the same type of game they have had in the past with a lower division team. Came down to the wire. Personally I think the better team lost. Going to be a good one when they play the Bizon.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

That was scary. Morgan didn’t look like a Big10 starter. Both lines looked shaky. The receiver and running backs were good.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Style

Post by Style »

feekdogg wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:17 am 10 Takeways:
1. Carter Coughlin. Thanks for showing up, bud. For a guy with NFL aspirations, that was a putrid performance.
2. Big Dan did not impress. I wonder if all the attention he's been getting has gone to his head.
3. Kamal Martin. I hope it was worth it.
4. Bateman. 132 yards in the first half. 0 in the second. Kirk Iaococa has some explaining to do. And don't tell me SDSU was good enough to take him out of the game.
5. Morgan. Terrible interception, but just fine after that. Every coach in the world will take a 72% completion rate all season long.
6. OL misses Jerad Weyler. The center is the glue that holds everything together.
7. Special teams were not good. At all. Kick coverage got bailed out by a (correctly called) holding penalty. Kill made special teams a strong point. Don't think Fleck values them as much.
8. He was big down the stretch, but I don't think Rodney is fully back. Ibrahim runs harder, but the line didn't do either guy any favors last night.
9. Stop trying to make that stupid bubble screen work. That's the kind of play that works against the Gophers; not for them.
10. 3-3 vs. the Dakotas in recent games, with the 3 wins all being nailbiters. STOP FUCKING SCHEDULING THEM. It's a no-win situation.
Nice write up.

I was most disappointed in the line play on both sides of the ball. I wrote earlier in the thread that I was hoping the game would be a total domination in the trenches. It looked like SDSU was superior on the line on both sides of the ball. That's alarming and will need to get cleaned up quickly. If we can't push around SDSU, who can we? The inexperience on OL could result in Morgan getting hurt. He took way too many hits last night for the type of opponent we played. If those hits continue, I don't see him lasting long this year.

All this talk all offseason about Spann-Ford the TE and... did he even play?! If SDSU is doubling Johnson, focusing on Bateman in the second half, AND playing 8 in the box, something is amiss. I'm not even asking for the most advanced plays in the playbook to be used against SDSU, but goodness, a simple TE toss over the long-haired LBers head could've been a play at some point. I'm not trying to be a coach here, but there seems to be some different weapons on the team that could be more/better utilized.

About the only two positives from this game were Bateman and getting a W. Most everything else leaves a lot to be desired and cause for concern going forward.

BTW - FS1 getting Urban Meyer as an analyst is a great get. Him talking at halftime about the type of team he had would dictate his responses was pretty cool. Fragile team = coddle, mentally tough team = break something. This might be a coddle team. I think Urban is the ultimate cop out, but listening to him as an analyst is great.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald