Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Opinions on Gopher football this fall?

A place to discuss Gopher Spots
hategreenticemase

Opinions on Gopher football this fall?

Post by hategreenticemase »

Seems like there just hasnt been much buzz in general. The way last year ended on a high note, I guess I am surprised there isnt more optimism and talk on our rodents? Thoughts?

Feek, you seem to have connections to the program - whats the inside scoop?
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: Opinions on Gopher football this fall?

Post by HeHateMe »

8 wins .. that should be the goal!

Got tickets for the opener.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Do you have to ask?

Philip John is leading this ship.

Bowl Bound.

10 wins.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

I've got opinions... it's going to be the same shit as the last 5+ decades of goopher foolball.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
bri

Post by bri »

9 Wins should be the goal
Hopefully we keep the Axe
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

Looking forward to Brooks and Smith coming back.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Anything less than 8 wins is a total failure. If you don't build on the momentum that the team had at the end of last year, that becomes pointless. The schedule is never going to be as friendly as it is this year.
Biggest problems I see are the questions about depth in the LBs and the QB battle right now. Fleck would like to name a starter yesterday, but no one is separating themselves. OL is going to be rock solid and that's going to make things easier on whoever wins the QB job.
Last edited by feekdogg on Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

feekdogg wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:48 pm Anything less than 8 wins is a total failure. If you don't build on the momentum that the team had at the end of last year, that becomes pointless. The schedule is never going to be as friendly as it is this year.
Biggest problems I see are the questions about depth in the LBs and the QB battle right now. Fleck would like to name a starter yesyerday, but no one is separating themselves. OL is going to be rock solid and that's going to make things easier on whoever wins the QB job.
Good take here.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Like many, I was also thinking 8 wins. However, where the Gophers are right now, its not just about the wins. Could have 6 or 7 wins, but if one or two of those are against Wisconsin or Iowa, then I wouldnt be disappointed in 6 or 7 wins. Making these rivalry games relevant is important in bringing interest back.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

It'd be really swell if they could put it all together and win the West. Nebraska fans are convinced it's about to be the mid 90s all over again. Beat them and nip that in the bud right now.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Cautiously optimistic. The WR's should be great, hopefully the QB's can take the step forward to utilize them. The RB's will be flat out ridiculous. The mammoth OL is a year older and hopefully better. The offense should be fun. The defense made incredible strides after the DC switch last year, let's hope that continues.
Let's get Tropical
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

This team can win more than 8 games if one of the quarterbacks steps up and is above average.

We all know the offense is pretty loaded, but I'm also liking the defense this season. Coughlin, Barber, and Martin are all proven, experienced guys. You also have the Notre Dame transfer at DT, Mica Dew-Treadway and the really talented JUCO DT, Keonte Schad who had offers from Oklahoma, Tennessee, Mississippi State, etc. Add in the super talented sophmore cornerback Terell Smith and a healthy Antoine Winfield Jr. and you have a pretty talented defense.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:48 pm Anything less than 8 wins is a total failure. If you don't build on the momentum that the team had at the end of last year, that becomes pointless. The schedule is never going to be as friendly as it is this year.
Biggest problems I see are the questions about depth in the LBs and the QB battle right now. Fleck would like to name a starter yesterday, but no one is separating themselves. OL is going to be rock solid and that's going to make things easier on whoever wins the QB job.
Feek,

Good stuff. Was hoping you would weigh in. Love your takes on Gopher football.

Let me ask you this - what's the deal at QB? Is it both have disappointed? They aren't progressing as expected? Not grasping off? Here is my point - when is the last time we have had what appears to be a GOOD OL and elite backs? Probably all the way back to MB/Maroney? The HUGE difference being, now ask when we have had that and above avg or maybe better than that WR corps???

Which bring me to my main point - how the F can we not be getting quality QB given those facts???? Are both just not good enough plain and simple or what? I would think even Demry Croft could have ascended to average with this supporting cast.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

hategreenticemase wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:05 pm
Feek,

Let me ask you this - what's the deal at QB? Is it both have disappointed? They aren't progressing as expected? Not grasping off? Here is my point - when is the last time we have had what appears to be a GOOD OL and elite backs? Probably all the way back to MB/Maroney? The HUGE difference being, now ask when we have had that and above avg or maybe better than that WR corps???

Which bring me to my main point - how the F can we not be getting quality QB given those facts???? Are both just not good enough plain and simple or what? I would think even Demry Croft could have ascended to average with this supporting cast.
Exactly right, Tice.

Demry is better than what we have now.

Pretty good read here.

I really look forward to what he will do in Brother Reeds offense that is setup for athletes to "Excel" in.

https://www.mystateline.com/sports/crof ... see-state/
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Feek,

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I wasn't saying QB play or talent was an issue. They have 2 very capable Big 10 starters right now (the kid from Texas has a better arm than both of them, but that's something to look at next year). The old saying in college football is that if you have 2 QBs, you have 0 QBs. Fleck has stated that he wants someone to grab the bull by the horns and wrestle the starting job away from the other guy. That hasn't happened yet. It's not that one both guys aren't capable. They're both good, but it's too close to say one guy is head and shoulders above.

The case for Morgan is he's a little older, more mobile and more composed under pressure. Plus, he was under center when they got rolling at the end of last year.

The case for Annexstad is that he showed a lot of poise as a true freshman, throws a much better deep ball and is more of a natural leader. People kind of forget that he played hurt last year, and that really affected his mobility.

I honestly have no idea what's going to happen. If it's too close to call, I'd hand the job to Morgan to start. Another thing to keep in mind is that Annexstad can still technically redshirt this year, which would mean he's a redshirt soph. next year, giving the QB position better balance in classes.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Pj Caruso. Blech.
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
hategreenticemase

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:13 pm
Feek,

Exactly right, Tice.

Demry is better than what we have now.

Pretty good read here.

I really look forward to what he will do in Brother Reeds offense that is setup for athletes to "Excel" in.

https://www.mystateline.com/sports/crof ... see-state/

Doesn't even have sense enough to be embarrassed. :lol:
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:33 pm
Feek,

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I wasn't saying QB play or talent was an issue. They have 2 very capable Big 10 starters right now (the kid from Texas has a better arm than both of them, but that's something to look at next year). The old saying in college football is that if you have 2 QBs, you have 0 QBs. Fleck has stated that he wants someone to grab the bull by the horns and wrestle the starting job away from the other guy. That hasn't happened yet. It's not that one both guys aren't capable. They're both good, but it's too close to say one guy is head and shoulders above.

The case for Morgan is he's a little older, more mobile and more composed under pressure. Plus, he was under center when they got rolling at the end of last year.

The case for Annexstad is that he showed a lot of poise as a true freshman, throws a much better deep ball and is more of a natural leader. People kind of forget that he played hurt last year, and that really affected his mobility.

I honestly have no idea what's going to happen. If it's too close to call, I'd hand the job to Morgan to start. Another thing to keep in mind is that Annexstad can still technically redshirt this year, which would mean he's a redshirt soph. next year, giving the QB position better balance in classes.
Great stuff, Feek. Thanks for clarifying. Totally get what you are saying now. So, it would appear you are thinking this may be the best offense we have had in a long time?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Offense has as much depth and talent as any team in the West. The defense is a big question. Not as deep on that side of the ball.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Getting two very good RBs back to add to the kid should be huge if at least 2/3 can stay healthy.

I'm not at all convinced you can't win with 2 QBs but I agree the preferred outcome is that one outshines enough to lock down 90% of the snaps.

The defense improved a lot after they canned the DC and while I am not dialed in enough to say much about the depth on D, they do return 8 starters and 17 overall. No other team that will contend in the West returns more than 14.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

the little spaz of a coach seems pretty quiet compared to his arrival.
as always with gopher football, if the expectations are high, they will fail.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

QB position seems to have resolved itself for the time being
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:28 pm QB position seems to have resolved itself for the time being
Dude, really? Don't do the tease bs here! Whattya got?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:22 pm
feekdogg wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:28 pm QB position seems to have resolved itself for the time being
Wasn't trying to. Thought people would have seen/heard it elsewhere.
Annexstad had a non-contact injury where he felt a pop in his foot. He's out indefinitely, but it sounds like it's a season ender.
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:26 pm
Annexstad had a non-contact injury where he felt a pop in his foot. He's out indefinitely, but it sounds like it's a season ender.
Yeah, my bad. Just saw the crawl. That's too bad. Assume he will redshirt?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:17 pm

He can redshirt even if he comes back for the last what, 3 or 4 games? He will definitely redshirt. He could have used a redshirt year last year too but now he'll get it. Guess we'll see how Morgan and maybe Clark can handle things.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
hategreenticemase

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:36 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:17 pm

He can redshirt even if he comes back for the last what, 3 or 4 games? He will definitely redshirt. He could have used a redshirt year last year too but now he'll get it. Guess we'll see how Morgan and maybe Clark can handle things.
I forgot about the new redshirt rules, good point.

Starting to get mildly excited for this team.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

I listened to Ryan Burns on with JG over the weekend -- sure sounds like Annexstad will miss the season. He thinks Clark will be the backup to Morgan but Clark/Kramer are fairly close in terms of being ready right now. He mentioned Annexstad and Morgan getting a majority of the snaps in spring ball and that didn't do any favors for the true freshmen.

Sounds like the O Line is set from LG through RT. LT is up for debate -- I'm wondering why not put Faalele over there? Tons of weapons offensively. Enough ball to go around?

Missed him talking about D Line but optimistic on the back 7 at least.
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Same old Gopher season.

Do well against inferior opponents. Can't win against quality teams. We get one decent size win and a 4th tier Bowl win and all the Nadine Babu's call it the greatest season since the Rose Bowl season in the 50's.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:34 pm I listened to Ryan Burns on with JG over the weekend -- sure sounds like Annexstad will miss the season. He thinks Clark will be the backup to Morgan but Clark/Kramer are fairly close in terms of being ready right now. He mentioned Annexstad and Morgan getting a majority of the snaps in spring ball and that didn't do any favors for the true freshmen.

Sounds like the O Line is set from LG through RT. LT is up for debate -- I'm wondering why not put Faalele over there? Tons of weapons offensively. Enough ball to go around?

Missed him talking about D Line but optimistic on the back 7 at least.
Really not a big loss on the QB imo.

It's like losing Christian Ponder and going to Josh Freeman.

If this year is to be a success, it will be because of Philip Johns Elite schemes and
"Imposing their will" on their opponents.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master