Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Coffey testing NBA future

Home for Gopher Basketball
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Coffey testing NBA future

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:42 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:38 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:36 pm
It's a poor decision because you as a Gophers fan don't like it? I wanted him back too.. I also want the kid to do well and make some money. I hope him and Murphy both get two way deals now -- I don't see either getting drafted so that's the route. I think Coffey still has some upside. Hell, I wouldn't mind if the Wolves tried to get him on one of the two way deals.
No, it has nothing to do with me. Obviously these guy's dont care about that. It's a bad decision because he is not a NBA player.

He was a slightly above average Big Ten player for the 3 year's he was here imo.

I have no ill will towards him and I always say take the money butnhe has the same if not better opportunity entering next year.
If he's not an NBA player now, how will be next year? IMO at this point in your life, you are or you aren't. I hope he gets in, I think he will. I think Murphy and Mason will eventually make an NBA appearance too.
True. There is always the risk of injury that has to be factored in.

I just think if he had a really good year next year and the Gophers are good and have exposure, he could end up a guaranteed draft spot.

There was obviously friction with Richard that also has to be factored in.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:34 pm
Style wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:30 pmWE SUCK AGAIN!
Back to bubble team status IMO. Oturu/Kalscheur/Carr/Demir is a solid core. Now let's hope they can add another decent piece with one of the two openings left.
There's a few intriguing names on the transfer market right now and there will be more to come. I'm pretty confident that Pitino will get someone that can contribute immediately.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Meh
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Hear Bosnia is beautiful in January...hope you have an up to date passport as you won’t sniff the NBA
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:42 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:38 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:36 pm
It's a poor decision because you as a Gophers fan don't like it? I wanted him back too.. I also want the kid to do well and make some money. I hope him and Murphy both get two way deals now -- I don't see either getting drafted so that's the route. I think Coffey still has some upside. Hell, I wouldn't mind if the Wolves tried to get him on one of the two way deals.
No, it has nothing to do with me. Obviously these guy's dont care about that. It's a bad decision because he is not a NBA player.

He was a slightly above average Big Ten player for the 3 year's he was here imo.

I have no ill will towards him and I always say take the money butnhe has the same if not better opportunity entering next year.
If he's not an NBA player now, how will be next year? IMO at this point in your life, you are or you aren't. I hope he gets in, I think he will. I think Murphy and Mason will eventually make an NBA appearance too.
Yes, he very well could have been a draft pick next year. Carson Edwards likely played himself into the first round this year. KBD played himself into the second last year. It happens all the time - a good chunk of the 2nd round every year is college seniors the NBA thinks have a chance to be role players.

If he improved his 3pt % from 30% to 38-40%, he'd be a likely pick in my opinion. Playing off the ball and being able to catch and shoot more this year likely would have improved his percentage.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Big Head

Post by Big Head »

Sid Hartman wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:47 pm Hear Bosnia is beautiful in January...hope you have an up to date passport as you won’t sniff the NBA
You're a bitter old man Sid
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Big Head wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:05 am
Sid Hartman wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:47 pm Hear Bosnia is beautiful in January...hope you have an up to date passport as you won’t sniff the NBA
Sid is still mad Gopherhole banned him.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:00 am
Damn straight especially since I was right lol, called the implosion of the team after the 5x3 game and they didn’t want to hear it
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sid Hartman wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:10 pm

Damn straight especially since I was right lol, called the implosion of the team after the 5x3 game and they didn’t want to hear it
You were wrong about the team this year!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:18 pm

Can’t be perfect or I’d be a spoiler
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sid Hartman wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:37 pm
Sid > Zobel

Though both hate the Gophers.... hmmmm
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:40 pm
Sid Hartman wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:37 pm

Sid > Zobel

Though both hate the Gophers.... hmmmm
I don’t hate them but they just let me down more than any team...when there is any prosperity you know something catastrophic is going to happen
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

I would never shit on someone chasing a dream, but I can't imagine whatever level he plays at next season (it won't be the NBA) is going to be more challenging and competitive than a full Big Ten schedule including at least a dozen against ranked teams (many of which will be on national TV), several of their NC games against quality teams and of which are available on TV, and finally the spotlight of the NCAA tournament which they likely make next season if he's on the team. Also how many of their games will be loaded with scouts?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Slap Shot wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:21 am I would never shit on someone chasing a dream, but I can't imagine whatever level he plays at next season (it won't be the NBA) is going to be more challenging and competitive than a full Big Ten schedule including at least a dozen against ranked teams (many of which will be on national TV), several of their NC games against quality teams and of which are available on TV, and finally the spotlight of the NCAA tournament which they likely make next season if he's on the team. Also how many of their games will be loaded with scouts?
I think he grabs a two way contract so he'll see some time in the NBA.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Slap Shot wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:21 am I would never shit on someone chasing a dream, but I can't imagine whatever level he plays at next season (it won't be the NBA) is going to be more challenging and competitive than a full Big Ten schedule including at least a dozen against ranked teams (many of which will be on national TV), several of their NC games against quality teams and of which are available on TV, and finally the spotlight of the NCAA tournament which they likely make next season if he's on the team. Also how many of their games will be loaded with scouts?
Yep, Coffey knows much more about what's best for than I do, but this reeks of "I'm sick of school." Instead, he's choosing adult AAU or Europe.

A return to the U would allow him to show how he can dominate from his natural position. He was a legit Big Ten POY candidate and there's no way he doesn't get drafted if he shows well. I think working off the wing would result in improvement in rebounding and 3 pt shooting percentage and the offense would flow through him rather than Murphy. Oh well.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

I can’t find a single mock draft with Coffey even getting picked.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Bob Wiley wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:27 pm I can’t find a single mock draft with Coffey even getting picked.
He probably won't get picked. He turns 22 soon though and wants to start getting paid.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:21 pm
Bob Wiley wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:27 pm I can’t find a single mock draft with Coffey even getting picked.
He probably won't get picked. He turns 22 soon though and wants to start getting paid.
Is he going to get paid so much that it covers off what he might have earned a year later had he stayed and played well enough to get drafted into a real professional basketball league?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Slap Shot wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:21 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:21 pm
Is he going to get paid so much that it covers off what he might have earned a year later had he stayed and played well enough to get drafted into a real professional basketball league?
Second round picks aren't guaranteed anything, people are sayin the draft next year will be better than this one so my guess is he figured take his chances now to get into an nba locker room and focus just on hoops at age 22. I don't fault him for leaving but naturally I'm disappointed as a Gophers fan because I do think he was set to have a monster year. Top 50 players probably don't stay four years often though.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

I watched entire draft...did Adam Silver forget to call his name??!!
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

He had to have had enough people telling him this was what was going to happen. It sure helps the conspiracy theory of wanting to get away from little Richy though I guess.
Let's get Tropical
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Sid Hartman wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:43 pm I watched entire draft...did Adam Silver forget to call his name??!!
Lol.

The 15 year drought continues. :shock:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

All undrafted along with Coffey:

Nick Ward, MSU
Tyler Cook, Iowa
Charles Matthews, Michigan
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Summer league with the Clippers.
Let's get Tropical
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Good for him. Glad he got a chance with an NBA team.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

He signed a 2-way with the Clippers. Good for him. Looks like he'll get a cup of coffee in the league. Guess I was wrong.
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:21 pm He signed a 2-way with the Clippers. Good for him. Looks like he'll get a cup of coffee in the league. Guess I was wrong.
Guess so. He is talented enough to play in the NBA if a dude like Cam Reynolds can get a stint in the NBA too.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

19/9/6 tonight, looked pretty good.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Dan33185 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:28 pm 19/9/6 tonight, looked pretty good.
He's playing like he belongs in the NBA. If you dominate this league, it means something. Guys who can't dominate summer league... well....