Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Pitino met with Arkansas?

Home for Gopher Basketball
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Pitino met with Arkansas?

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Sid Hartman

Re: Pitino met with Arkansas?

Post by Sid Hartman »

He gone
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sid Hartman wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:33 pmHe gone
Mussleman would be nice.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

How bout Big Ben Johnson!?!?!?!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

A ploy to get a extension. Coyle better hold firm.

If they really have the pick of those guys, Pitino isn't getting that job.

Read what Arkansas basketball think about this. :lol:

http://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=680077.0

Best comment "Tiny Pitino is creepy AF. He's not the face of your program. The only thing he is the face of is the before picture at some plastic surgeons office"

:lol: :shock:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:49 pm A ploy to get a extension. Coyle better hold firm.

Best comment "Tiny Pitino is creepy AF. He's not the face of your program. The only thing he is the face of is the before picture at some plastic surgeons office"

That forum is ridiculous. A bunch of Arkansas fans who think it’s 1994 and Arkansas basketball means something.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:19 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:49 pm A ploy to get a extension. Coyle better hold firm.

That forum is ridiculous. A bunch of Arkansas fans who think it’s 1994 and Arkansas basketball means something.
Ever visit the "7 National Titles Football Forum" over at GH?
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Wouldn't Arkansas be a step down?
Let's get Tropical
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

For some reason I had the Paul Finebaum Show on in the car the other day. He had a writer who said the key for Arkansas is to get a national recruiter because the home talent is sub par. That certainly isn't McCaffery and I'm not sure it's Pitino either.
Ketchup can be nuancy
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

jffl_commish wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:36 pm Wouldn't Arkansas be a step down?
Not really. SEC hoops are on par with the BIG 10 for the most part, Arkansas goes to the tourney about as often as the U.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ask Not wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:08 pm For some reason I had the Paul Finebaum Show on in the car the other day. He had a writer who said the key for Arkansas is to get a national recruiter because the home talent is sub par. That certainly isn't McCaffery and I'm not sure it's Pitino either.
Musselman.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

I don't think so. There were rumors about Boston College if Pitino wanted the gig. I don't think there's any question he's going to land on his feet eventually if he gets fired down the road. Now the question becomes -- does he take the most money possible, I'm sure ideally he wants to stay here but also wants more money because other schools are interested. Now if you think you're potentially going to get fired so the AD can bring in his own guy, why would you not explore other options that would potentially pay you more?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:20 pm
I don't think so. There were rumors about Boston College if Pitino wanted the gig. I don't think there's any question he's going to land on his feet eventually if he gets fired down the road. Now the question becomes -- does he take the most money possible, I'm sure ideally he wants to stay here but also wants more money because other schools are interested. Now if you think you're potentially going to get fired so the AD can bring in his own guy, why would you not explore other options that would potentially pay you more?
That's what this comes down to imo. Richard is probably going to be on his last year starting this upcoming season with no guarantee he will be back.

He signs elsewhere and he's guaranteed another 4-5 year's of big paydays.

If Musselman wants that job I'm sure they would take him over Pitino though. Probably Fran also.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Someone tweeted

What are Arkansas and @HunterYurachek thinking? Richard Pitino??? He’s 30 games UNDER .500 in Big 10 play.

Brandon Mileski said "Now I know why Pitino wants to go to Arkansas"

What's Brandon talking about?
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:15 pm

I don’t know, should I?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:02 pm Someone tweeted

What are Arkansas and @HunterYurachek thinking? Richard Pitino??? He’s 30 games UNDER .500 in Big 10 play.

I don't know. Arkansas just canned a guy who won almost 60% of conference games, so it's not like Arkansas is a safe haven for coaches below mediocracy.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:40 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:15 pm
I don’t know, should I?
It's pretty bizarre
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:18 pm
Ask Not wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:08 pm For some reason I had the Paul Finebaum Show on in the car the other day. He had a writer who said the key for Arkansas is to get a national recruiter because the home talent is sub par. That certainly isn't McCaffery and I'm not sure it's Pitino either.
Musselman.
Thank you for noting I left Musselman out. Sometime, HHM, sometimes ... :brick:
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

No idea what Tenna B is talking about. He has no insight into anything so...

Now why would Arkansas look at Pitino? He's been courted by SEC schools in the past, hasn't he? I know Tennessee came up at one point, now I'm trying to remember who sniffed around him after year one or year two... either way, perhaps there is some stuff out there that Musselman wants to come to Minnesota (Arkansas would know this) and if that were to happen, Arkansas maybe wanted to meet Pitino to see if he's an option if Coyle moves on from Pitino and brings in Musselman.
Swaggy Pie

Post by Swaggy Pie »

I think he's making fun of Arkansas and Pitino at the same time.

TennaB has always said Pitino hates the cold and wants to get out.

I guess hating the cold is the only actual justification for living in Arkansas vs living in Minneapolis. I can't imagine any reasoning for Arkansas being a better job, but maybe I'm being a homer.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:30 am

No idea what Tenna B is talking about. He has no insight into anything so...

Now why would Arkansas look at Pitino? He's been courted by SEC schools in the past, hasn't he? I know Tennessee came up at one point, now I'm trying to remember who sniffed around him after year one or year two... either way, perhaps there is some stuff out there that Musselman wants to come to Minnesota (Arkansas would know this) and if that were to happen, Arkansas maybe wanted to meet Pitino to see if he's an option if Coyle moves on from Pitino and brings in Musselman.
Alabama was rumored a few year's back.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

I honestly don't want Musselman. Sure I would take him over Pitino but he's not the guy I want long term.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:12 pm I honestly don't want Musselman. Sure I would take him over Pitino but he's not the guy I want long term.
Who do you prefer? You didn’t want Hoiberg as I can remember, you don’t want Musselman. Who is Minnesota getting this late if Pitino hypothetically bolted?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:48 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:12 pm I honestly don't want Musselman. Sure I would take him over Pitino but he's not the guy I want long term.
Who do you prefer? You didn’t want Hoiberg as I can remember, you don’t want Musselman. Who is Minnesota getting this late if Pitino hypothetically bolted?
Here are his past statements on coaching:
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:12 pmJacobson is my #1. I like Tim Miles. 50/50 on Hoiberg but I wouldn't hate it.

Mussleman I think is good but he's such a huge douche but that's just personal opinion.

Just as long as it's someone with a proven track record. No more experiments.

Steve Wojciechowski (Marquette)
Nate Oats (Buffalo)
Matt McMahon (Murray State)
Like all three of these. Musselman would be ok too.

I liked Tim Miles here but have started to sour on him the last couple weeks.
I would suck a fart out of your ass to get Sampson here.

On Musselman interested in the job per Doogie:
If this is true, they better strike.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Chris Beard (No chance I know) Buzz Williams (Just took the A&M job. Ben Jacobson.

They sat on the pot too long this year.

Pitino isn't getting the Arkansas job anyway.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:22 pm
Chris Beard (No chance I know) Buzz Williams (Just took the A&M job. Ben Jacobson.

Jacobson is a huge question mark to me. They've been .500 or less the last 3 years. When Northern Iowa was rolling a few years back, did he turn down better jobs? It's pretty rare for a low level coach who's made noise in the tourney multiple times not to get a shot at a bigger job.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

feekdogg wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:27 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:22 pm

Jacobson is a huge question mark to me. They've been .500 or less the last 3 years. When Northern Iowa was rolling a few years back, did he turn down better jobs? It's pretty rare for a low level coach who's made noise in the tourney multiple times not to get a shot at a bigger job.
I’m with you on this. I’m off the Jacobson bandwagon. I do t envision him having better results than Pitino.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Musselman.
No. If you think Pitino is only using the U as a stepping stone (I disagree btw) Muss Jr would have even less interest in sticking around long enough to create a legacy.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Slap Shot wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:39 am
Musselman.
No. If you think Pitino is only using the U as a stepping stone (I disagree btw) Muss Jr would have even less interest in sticking around long enough to create a legacy.
I don't think Pitino is using the U as a stepping stone. I think he's used other programs as leverage to get extensions though. I think the extension he most recently got is favorable for the U to fire him if they eventually want to bring in someone of Coyle's choosing. Mussleman's people 100% reached out to the U while Pitino got a look from Arkansas. I don't know if Coyle would have had Mussleman at the top of his list though. I do think there were some credible back channeling things happening with Nate Oats at one point (wife might be from MN?) and that seemed to coincide with the Gophers looking like they weren't going to get in and Oats getting an extension from Buffalo.