Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

State of the Gophers Hoops

Home for Gopher Basketball
Style

State of the Gophers Hoops

Post by Style »

The 2018-19 season is in the books. It was a wild ride. I'm going to reflect some on this past season and also look forward to next season and beyond in my State of the Gophers Address.

Admin/Facilities:
The new UM President starts in July. I'm not sure if that position will have much of a ripple effect on the hoops program, but will be interesting to monitor nonetheless. I'm happy with the job Coyle is doing as AD. From a million mile away perspective, he appears to really empower his coaches to lead their programs how they see fit. With the new facilities and a supportive administration, the UM job right now might be the best it's been in many years. There's potential in the hoops program to really make an impact in the W/L column.

Coaching:
I commented in a thread sometime midseason about my consistent flip-flopping with Pitino. Never has a coach gone from Dog House Status to Statue Status and back to Dog House Status as quickly and as regularly as Pitino has with me. There were times this season I felt he was the right man for the job and then there were times this season I was scrounging the internet looking for better candidates. I think his run in the BIG tournament and beating Louisville has earned him at least another year in Dinkytown. He's currently under contract through 2022. If Pitino plans to watch his kids graduate HS while still coaching at the UM, it's going to be crucial for him to get better results on the recruiting trail - specifically with talent from MN. With the talent in this state, he's doing himself and his staff a disservice by not more heavily focusing on the local players. Discounting the Blue Chippers (Jones/Hurt), there's enough talent in MN to win BIG titles. Going forward, I'd like to see Pitino add another local to his staff in the 'Ben Johnson' role. All in all, the players seem to respect Pitino, stay out of trouble for the most part, and represent the University with class. Pitino is still young at just 36 so he's also still developing as a coach. I'm hoping for consistent NCAA tournament bids with the occasional run.

Departing Players:
Jordan Murphy, Dupree McBrayer, Matz Stockman, and Brock Stull will be graduating and moving on. Murphy has been one of the best players in UM history. Losing a player of Murphy's caliber will always hurt. Losing McBrayer will hurt too. When four contributors graduate, and one of them is of the best players in UM history, it will always leave a mark. However, with the talent returning, I have high hopes for next year's team.

Returning Players:
Amir Coffey likely headlines the returning players for next year. He may test the waters with the NBA, yet I think will ultimately end up back in MPLS for his senior season. The versatile wing showed his talents this year by being forced into a role that is not nearly his natural position. Next year the hope should be to have Coffey return to a more off ball role. I'd like to see him penciled in at the '3' and given X amount of shots per game. He's a guy that should be a given each night in terms of his productivity. He will need to improve his game to game consistency to carry next year's squad to greater results than this year's squad.

Gabe Kalscheur will be a crucial piece to next year's team. Maybe a bit of a surprise in terms of his immediate impact this season, he will take no one by surprise starting next year. I'd like to see Gabe improve his ball handling skills as he needs to provide some relief for Coffey in that aspect. Already a pretty solid defender, this guy seems to have a pretty high floor for next year's team. Will he be able to take the leap to become a true #2 scoring option on a BIG team? Time will tell. I'm hopeful he'll be able to do so.

Daniel Oturu might have the biggest shoes in the entire country to fill. Losing Murphy and Stockman to graduation depletes the front court. Eric Curry's injury history makes it difficult to count on any production coming from him. There are no current frontcourt commits in the 2019 class. This leaves just Oturu and Jarvis Omersa as returning players with any type of experience. Omersa is quite raw and probably won't be ready for any significant minutes in the rotation next year. As extreme as it may sound, the season may hinge on Oturu's skill progression and needed durability.

Those 3 players provide a nice foundation for the team heading into the '19-'20 season.

Added to those three will be transfer PG Marcus Carr. Carr as a FR at Pittsburgh averaged 10/4. He'll likely (hopefully) solve the PG problems the '18-'19 team faced. His skillset should allow Gabe, Coffey, and Oturu to play their natural positions. As of now, there appears to be a gaping hole for that fifth starter position. If the team as constructed today started the season tomorrow, Omersa would likely be the starting PF. There's a solid core four starters penciled in for next season.

Incoming Players:
Tre WIlliams is the sole 2019 commit right now. There are three vacant scholarships so Pitino & Co. likely aren't done yet. Williams is a 6'4" G that seems to have a good shooting stroke. He should see a lot of time as a 6th man and potentially a game closer in a small ball lineup.

Uncertainties:
Will the staff get a commitment from a competent post player? It's a scary thin rotation of bigs right now. Some added size is crucial as there is currently a ton of pressure on Oturu heading into next season.

What's going on with Isaiah Washington? Buried on the bench for some of this season, the JR to be could serve in a pretty important role as the backup PG. If he decides to transfer, despite him claiming he's staying, a PG recruit will become a must add for the staff.

The 2020 MN HS class has loads of talent. Will Pitino be able to lure at least one of those guys to the program? His long-term success may hinge on that recruiting class.

Prognosis:
I think with an addition of a solid, BIG ready post, the '19-'20 can expect to return to the NCAA tournament. High end players return, a true PG arrives, and the team has a variety of players with big game experience that should propel them back into the dance. Anything less than the tournament next year may result in Pitino's firing from the program. I'm hopeful that won't need to be the discussion point next year and this team breezes to 20+ wins.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Hornets

Re: State of the Gophers Hoops

Post by Hornets »

Nice post....
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Oturu
Coffey
Kalscheur
Curry

That’s it.

They need to add a bunch of players.

Edit: looks like national signing day is April 17.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Bob Wiley wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:29 pm Oturu
Coffey
Kalscheur
Curry

That’s it.

I'm convinced Curry never plays again.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:49 pm
Coffey
Kalscheur
Curry

That’s it.

Another gut feeling? Seems you're usually wrong on these things so I'm looking forward to a healthy Curry next year! :lol:
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Hornets wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:10 pm
Coffey
Kalscheur
Curry

That’s it.

Another gut feeling? Seems you're usually wrong on these things so I'm looking forward to a healthy Curry next year! :lol:
You got any examples?
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:37 pm

You got any examples?
Yep.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Hornets wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:44 pm

You got any examples?
Yep.
Such as?
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:46 pm
Hornets wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:44 pm

You got any examples?
Yep.
Such as?
Who are you, Robert Mueller? Quit asking so many questions.
Style

Post by Style »

Coffey
Kalscheur
Curry

That’s it.

There’s also Carr who makes a (hopefully) legitimate ‘Big 4’. Add in Washington, Williams, Omersa, and maybe Michael Hurt and there’s some depth, though I agree it’s a major concern on 3/25/19. They’ll need to add at least one more BIG ready player. The goal should probably be two players. I don’t think next year’s team is in position to take a raw player that needs a year or two to develop.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

They have another transfer too that will be eligible next year. Sorry, I don't recall the name. HHM? Lil help?

But yes, they need to use the open scholarships and bring in quality players that can help right away or next year could actually be ugly. They are extremely thin right now.

Carr
Kalscheur
Coffee
Curry
Oturu

Then? Washington & Hurt are maybe's to be back. The other transfer that I can't remember, Williams & Omersa. They need help pretty badly I would say, especially if Hurt and/or Washington leave.
Let's get Tropical
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

jffl_commish wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:08 pm They have another transfer too that will be eligible next year. Sorry, I don't recall the name. HHM? Lil help?

But yes, they need to use the open scholarships and bring in quality players that can help right away or next year could actually be ugly. They are extremely thin right now.

Carr
Kalscheur
Coffee
Curry
Oturu

Then? Washington & Hurt are maybe's to be back. The other transfer that I can't remember, Williams & Omersa. They need help pretty badly I would say, especially if Hurt and/or Washington leave.
Payton Willis, from Vandy.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Thanks.

I really like Curry, but fear the injuries have depleted him too greatly. I love the Omersa kid. Hopefully he can contribute, but he's really raw offensively, He held his own against Michigan St though, at least on the defensive end. If they got in a legit starting 4 and some bench depth, they could be a good team for sure.
Let's get Tropical
full force five

Post by full force five »

Carr
Kalscheur
Coffee
Curry/Omersa
Oturu

That is your starting 5 next year, really good group. There is zero depth behind them. They need a grad transfer big, wing and another guard. Willis could be that guy as a guard/wing. Williams looks like a good player coming in.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

full force five wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:34 am Carr
Kalscheur
Coffee
Curry/Omersa
Oturu

That is your starting 5 next year, really good group. There is zero depth behind them. They need a grad transfer big, wing and another guard. Willis could be that guy as a guard/wing. Williams looks like a good player coming in.
That’s a small line up, and thin. No beef. I don’t know who Pitino can find more size, be he’s needs it.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Solid post, style.

They need a point guard with the ability to put the ball on the floor AND shoot. I don't know enough about Carr to say he's it, but McBrayer shooting percentage was brutal this year (35%). I know he had a lot going on mentally, but this team needs solid production from our PG.

I think IW should get another chance to start if he stays. He can make up his lack of shooting ability by putting the ball on the floor and finding the open man.
Swaggy Pie

Post by Swaggy Pie »

Coffey overcame consistency issues and became a big time player when the season was on the line. If he maintains that (or better yet, develops even a bit more) that'll help balance out the loss of Murphy. The last 8 games of the season Coffey avg'ed 24/5/4.

Obviously, depth remains a massive issue and there will need to be contributions next season from new/unexpected players. Goes without saying that Oturu and Kalscheur will have the safety blanket of being secondary option freshmen removed, and they'll have to develop into something closer to #2/#3 options. IMO - Kalscheur in particular needs to be a central figure in the offense and not just a guy who has big games when he gets hot or shoots within the flow of the game. I realize he's probably a streaky shooter but I'd like to see more plays for him and running around more screens, etc.

As for where's the new production coming from? Jarvis is key IMO, particularly with Murphy departing. Otherwise.... Tre Williams? The Pitt transfer point guard? unexpected healthy season from Curry? Washington actually playing? a transfer?

It's too bad the program isn't more advanced to the point where we could be in the hunt for big time MN recruits, because I really thing this team with Hurt (for 1 example, not as sure about Nnaji) could be Sweet Sixteen quality. Hopefully we get there soon because it seems like Pitino is flirting too close with some thin recruiting classes - although I don't follow it super closely so that's just an impression.
Style

Post by Style »

ForCaleb wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:04 am Solid post, style.

They need a point guard with the ability to put the ball on the floor AND shoot. I don't know enough about Carr to say he's it, but McBrayer shooting percentage was brutal this year (35%). I know he had a lot going on mentally, but this team needs solid production from our PG.

I think IW should get another chance to start if he stays. He can make up his lack of shooting ability by putting the ball on the floor and finding the open man.
I agree with your assessment that the PG on next year's team has to have the ability to put the ball in the basket. I just assumed Carr > Washington, but I think like all positions it should be open for the best player. If Washington shows he's the guy, by all means he should play.
Style

Post by Style »

Swaggy Pie wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:11 am Coffey overcame consistency issues and became a big time player when the season was on the line. If he maintains that (or better yet, develops even a bit more) that'll help balance out the loss of Murphy. The last 8 games of the season Coffey avg'ed 24/5/4.

Obviously, depth remains a massive issue and there will need to be contributions next season from new/unexpected players. Goes without saying that Oturu and Kalscheur will have the safety blanket of being secondary option freshmen removed, and they'll have to develop into something closer to #2/#3 options. IMO - Kalscheur in particular needs to be a central figure in the offense and not just a guy who has big games when he gets hot or shoots within the flow of the game. I realize he's probably a streaky shooter but I'd like to see more plays for him and running around more screens, etc.

As for where's the new production coming from? Jarvis is key IMO, particularly with Murphy departing. Otherwise.... Tre Williams? The Pitt transfer point guard? unexpected healthy season from Curry? Washington actually playing? a transfer?

It's too bad the program isn't more advanced to the point where we could be in the hunt for big time MN recruits, because I really thing this team with Hurt (for 1 example, not as sure about Nnaji) could be Sweet Sixteen quality. Hopefully we get there soon because it seems like Pitino is flirting too close with some thin recruiting classes - although I don't follow it super closely so that's just an impression.
That's a really great point that seems to summarize Pitino to date. He's a player away from forming a legitimate BIG contender, yet he's also a player away from getting canned.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Pitino seems to always be too thin with the bench/recruiting classes. He wastes a lot of scholarships too. The two god-awful centers from a couple years ago, 2 years of scholarship for one partial season on Stockman, lot of transfers that have to sit a year, things like that. Too little of getting guys that can play right away.

He better get some of those for next year or it could be his last. This team could be good, but they need help. They are so razor thin right now, especially the bigs, where one injury would pretty much turn it into a train wreck.
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Oturu/Curry
Omersa
Coffey/Hurt
Kalscheur/Tre Williams
Carr/Willis

I'm assuming Washington is gone for sure so that's the depth chart as it stands. I do think they should NOT count on Curry contributing at this point. If he plays, awesome. If he's a 10-15 minute a night guy tops and doesn't play every game because physically he can't handle it, so be it. So clearly they need frontcourt help badly. Also with the 2020 class stacked locally, you want to make sure you're able to keep minimum three scholarships available which means you're taking a grad transfer this year.

Reading between the lines, I think the three biggest targets right now are:
Ihnen -- forward from Germany, Sherfield -- combo guard from Sunrise former UCLA commit, Jericho Sims - potential transfer from Texas.

If you get those three, you really beefed up your lineup/depth. Then assuming Washington does transfer, you try to find a grad transfer who can play some 4/5. I like Rik Smits kid, VALPO grad transfer but he's visiting Grand Canyon right now. I know the Gophers have called on others already but it would be nice to have some depth up front too with some experience.

Oturu/Curry/grad transfer
Sims/Omersa/Ihnen
Coffey/Williams/Hurt
Kalscheur/Sherfield
Carr/Willis
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:53 am Oturu/Curry
Omersa
Coffey/Hurt
Kalscheur/Tre Williams
Carr/Willis

I'm assuming Washington is gone for sure so that's the depth chart as it stands. I do think they should NOT count on Curry contributing at this point. If he plays, awesome. If he's a 10-15 minute a night guy tops and doesn't play every game because physically he can't handle it, so be it. So clearly they need frontcourt help badly. Also with the 2020 class stacked locally, you want to make sure you're able to keep minimum three scholarships available which means you're taking a grad transfer this year.

Ihnen -- forward from Germany, Sherfield -- combo guard from Sunrise former UCLA commit, Jericho Sims - potential transfer from Texas.

If you get those three, you really beefed up your lineup/depth. Then assuming Washington does transfer, you try to find a grad transfer who can play some 4/5. I like Rik Smits kid, VALPO grad transfer but he's visiting Grand Canyon right now. I know the Gophers have called on others already but it would be nice to have some depth up front too with some experience.

Sims/Omersa/Ihnen
Coffey/Williams/Hurt
Kalscheur/Sherfield
Carr/Willis
You’re not convinced of IW saying that he’s for sure coming back?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:39 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:53 am Oturu/Curry
Omersa
Coffey/Hurt
Kalscheur/Tre Williams
Carr/Willis

Sims/Omersa/Ihnen
Coffey/Williams/Hurt
Kalscheur/Sherfield
Carr/Willis
You’re not convinced of IW saying that he’s for sure coming back?
Yeah, I think he's gone despite what he said there. He'll literally never have to face the Minnesota media again now so he says all the right things that night. I'm wondering what benefit he has to coming back? He'll be behind Marcus Carr and potentially Grant Sherfield. If Pitino didn't trust him this year, how does he next?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

A good PG will get Oturu more looks, not to mention some dish offs driving to the basket. Also his range will be an asset because he can hit a jumper. Needs to work on a jump hook.

Kalscheur needs to work on quickening his release and, setting his feet in advance of receiving a pass and working his man off screens and being ready to catch and shoot. He’ll be virtually unstoppable then and his dribble drives will open up for him as well as assists. Oturu, Coffey and Omersa will get more easy dunks with a good PG and Kalscheur developing a more inside/outside game.
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

INSIJS wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:34 pm A good PG will get Oturu more looks, not to mention some dish offs driving to the basket. Also his range will be an asset because he can hit a jumper. Needs to work on a jump hook.

Kalscheur needs to work on quickening his release and, setting his feet in advance of receiving a pass and working his man off screens and being ready to catch and shoot. He’ll be virtually unstoppable then and his dribble drives will open up for him as well as assists. Oturu, Coffey and Omersa will get more easy dunks with a good PG and Kalscheur developing a more inside/outside game.
I disagree on Oturu. I thought his jump hook was better than his jumper. He couldn't hit a shot from the elbow to save his life.

Completely agree on Kalscheur.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Gophers offered Johnny Davis(2020) from LaCrosse Central.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

ForCaleb wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:35 pm
INSIJS wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:34 pm A good PG will get Oturu more looks, not to mention some dish offs driving to the basket. Also his range will be an asset because he can hit a jumper. Needs to work on a jump hook.

I disagree on Oturu. I thought his jump hook was better than his jumper. He couldn't hit a shot from the elbow to save his life.

Completely agree on Kalscheur.
I remember all the jump hooks by bigs AGAINST Oturu but I honestly don’t remember a jump hook being in his repertoire this year. I’m open to reminders.

He did make some jumpers when he was rolling and has a nice shot and free throw motion to go with it. I don’t know what you’re saying about not hitting a J to save his life; he definitely did that as I watched every game.

His jumper is sound mechanically except a slight tendency to pull the string, and will improve even more with hard work, confidence and age.
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Seniors Hurt/Coffey (maybe?)
Juniors: Curry/Willis
Sophomores: Omersa/Oturu/Kalscheur/Carr
Freshmen: Freeman/Williams/Ihnen

11 guys maybe. Two scholarships left, three of course if Coffey stays in the draft.

Oturu/Curry/Freeman
Omersa/Ihnen
Coffey/Hurt
Kalscheur/Williams
Carr/Willis

Grad transfer guard and grad transfer PF obviously ideal at this point. Keep Freeman and Ihnen in more developmental roles for next year.
Style

Post by Style »

Yup. Grad transfers are the way to go now. Keep those scholarships open for the 2020 MN class.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ryan James article:

We are 11 days from June but still the roster questions are at the front of Gopher Basketball conversations. The 2018-19 was a nice step forward when it comes to post-season success and a fan base hungry for success is ready for more.

Amir Coffey, Stay or Go?

Amir has until May 29th to decide if he will return to the University of Minnesota where he has a chance to be a Big Ten Player of the Year candidate which of course also leads into All American conversation (not to mention help Minnesota make a run at the Big Ten and maybe the Sweet 16 of the NCAAs). Or will Amir decide to keep his name in the NBA Draft and hope for a 2-way deal between an NBA team and the G-League (there would of course also be considerations for a strong position overseas). Amir has participated in the NBA G League Elite Camp but was not invited to the NBA Draft Combine. Amir does have about a dozen work-outs lined up with NBA teams and the most recent trip was to Boston. Does Amir want to be a Jordan Murphy like local legend as a senior or does he want to get his pro career started while he's still young? Does Amir want to take another year of classes or does he want to spend his entire day focused on his professional career? The answer to those questions is just over a week away.

Who Will Fill the Final Roster Spots?

Minnesota had former Nebraska signed point guard Mika Adams-Woods on campus for an official visit last week. He will be at Cincinnati next Sunday and Monday for his next official visit and many feel this college decision will come down to the Gophers, Cincinnati, and UMass. If Minnesota isn't able to land Adams-Woods that leaves them with one available scholarship in addition to the scholarship that Amir Coffey could potentially vacate. Minnesota is in need of an additional ball handler which has led to a search of graduate transfers and best available high school ball handlers (Grant Sherfield also visited Minnesota this winter before selecting Wichita State). It's currently May 21st so available options are limited. If Minnesota is not able to land a ball handler to add depth to next year's team the hope is that Amir Coffey returns, and/or that Payton Willis can support expected starting point guard Marcus Carr. You can expect the Gophers to continue their late spring search through all potential options to add depth at the position.

Injury Recovery

This year the list of known injury concerns are limited to Eric Curry and his recovery from three surgeries over approximately 18 months. At what capacity will junior Eric Curry be available next year and how agile will he be entering his junior season? It's very tough to know that which is why the addition of Alihan Demir - a graduate transfer from Drexel - was so crucial. In addition, Daniel Oturu has dealt with a couple injuries in the past dozen months and in case he has another issue Demir can add frontcourt support there as well. If Curry is at full strength, or at least close to it, an experienced frontcourt of Oturu, Curry, and Demir along with Jarvis Omersa and Samuel Freeman as the youth, will be a strength for this team. Curry doesn't have to score in big numbers to help this team, his high effort, leadership, and high IQ play are essential for this Gopher team going forward.

What Kind of Impact will Newcomers Offer?

The set of three transfers - Marcus Carr, Payton Willis, and Alihan Demir - will be leaned on tremendously. The incoming freshmen - Tre Williams, Samuel Freeman, and Isaiah Ihnen - will add depth. At least that's what we expect to happen. Gabe Kalscheur was supposed to add depth and some shooting as a freshman but instead he was Minnesota's best defender and a three point shooting weapon as a double figure scorer. Gabe's initial impact was dependable consistent minutes wise in the same way that Jordan Murphy, Amir Coffey, and Daniel Oturu were counted on for strong minutes instantly. Can Isaiah, Sam, or Tre be that type of player? We believe they are more likely to add depth from the bench. It's tough to speak in depth about Ihnen because only a handful of basketball people in the United States have seen him play extensively. But Freeman will likely be a back-up center adding size while Williams is likely to have a role as a physical defender and active player, at least at the start of his career. The transfers on the other hand should have bigger roles. Carr is expected to be a 30 minute per game ball handler who potentially will be backed-up at the point by Willis. And as we said earlier Demir adds frontcourt depth and maybe a 30 minute per game big if there is an injury.

Who Steps Up?

Richard Pitino settled into a big minutes pattern with Coffey, Murphy, Oturu, Kalscheur, and Dupree McBrayer last year which led to limited or at times no minutes for returning players Michael Hurt and Jarvis Omersa (and injuries of course limited Curry). The 2019-20 Gopher team needs Hurt, Omersa and/or Payton Willis to step forward and have a big year as a role player. Hurt is a high basketball IQ contributor and often times when he's on the floor some of the best team basketball is played. Omersa's athletic ability could lead to a strong career as a rebounder and he ended his freshman season with a pair of solid performances. Willis does not need to start but the team needs him to knock down shots, handle the ball, and defend. If this group of three takes a big step forward it would allow the younger players more time develop and would certainly make this a better basketball team in Richard Pitino's seventh year as Head Coach.