Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Michigan @ Gophers

Home for Gopher Basketball
ForCaleb

Re: Michigan @ Gophers

Post by ForCaleb »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:31 pm
ForCaleb wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:42 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:38 pm Murphy and Oturu are the only two guy's worth a shit on this team.
I’m nitpicking but Murphy in desperation will attempt to go up with the ball with three guys all over him. Sometimes he’s gotta get the ball out.

Gabe is a good player but it’s impossible to get him open.

Oturu has been my favorite player this year without question.
"Impossible to get him open" ... now you tell me how someone like Klay Thompson gets open when he dribbles the ball 4-5 times and scores 40? Is it because other guys can create off the dribble drawing defense away from the shooter perhaps? Now I get it, Klay is incredible but I'm simply talking about shooters in general in basketball. Malik Smith played for the Gophers few years back, how did he get open? He wasn't beating anyone off the dribble, was he?
He’s the Gophers only shooter. Teams know that and adjust accordingly. Are you suggesting it’s his fault because he doesn’t create off the dribble? That’s a fair criticism.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

ForCaleb wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:08 am
ForCaleb wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:42 pm

I’m nitpicking but Murphy in desperation will attempt to go up with the ball with three guys all over him. Sometimes he’s gotta get the ball out.

Gabe is a good player but it’s impossible to get him open.

Oturu has been my favorite player this year without question.
"Impossible to get him open" ... now you tell me how someone like Klay Thompson gets open when he dribbles the ball 4-5 times and scores 40? Is it because other guys can create off the dribble drawing defense away from the shooter perhaps? Now I get it, Klay is incredible but I'm simply talking about shooters in general in basketball. Malik Smith played for the Gophers few years back, how did he get open? He wasn't beating anyone off the dribble, was he?
He’s the Gophers only shooter. Teams know that and adjust accordingly. Are you suggesting it’s his fault because he doesn’t create off the dribble? That’s a fair criticism.
What it really comes down to is Pitino has no idea how to coach and especially draw up a offense. I have been bitching about this for year's and so have some in our local media.

How do you have Murphy and Oturu dominating consistently down low yet you can't get a open look for any of your wings?!?

The whole Coffey thing is a fucking wreck too. Wouldn't it be better to play Washington and at least put what is supposed to be one of your better player's back to his natural position? You have just effectively ruined two positions.

I'm with what a lot of people are saying this morning. I don't even care if they make the tourney anymore(They won't anyway) That shouldn't save his job. This team isn't good. He has absolutely no one on his bench other than Curry. They fired Tubby who had a lot better overall resume here and went to the round of 32 right before being fired.

You had a big game last night and there was no buzz. They didn't even have a sellout. The interest in this team isn't high and for good reason.

The one thing I will say that absolutely sucks about this program right now and it's not just on Richard.

Every HC since Clem, the immediate hiring sparks interest into to the team. Sellouts, excitement etc..

Than every year after it dwindles to the point where there is hardly any interest except us that follow every year. Then a new HC has to come along again every 5 or so year's and spark interest again until it inevitably fizzles out.

I know we are never going to be Mich st etc. At one time we were a player in this thing though. Can we just get to Wisconsin's consistency?

We need a experienced hire who has shown on a consistent basis he can win.
Last edited by RubeTube on Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Kalscheur is the teams only shooter, period. Well, Stull maybe, but he doesn't play much. Anyway, it's on Pitino to get offense through him for shots, and it's on Coffey to quit shooting when he can't hit the broadside of the barn and facilitate. It's on Murhphy a little too. He can kick the ball out of the triple teams once in a while.
Let's get Tropical
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:27 am Kalscheur is the teams only shooter, period. Well, Stull maybe, but he doesn't play much. Anyway, it's on Pitino to get offense through him for shots, and it's on Coffey to quit shooting when he can't hit the broadside of the barn and facilitate. It's on Murhphy a little too. He can kick the ball out of the triple teams once in a while.
Stull can hardly run down the court without tripping on his own two feet.

His season average is 1.5 ppg 1 rpg and .6 ast

This is on a team who has absolutely no depth on their bench either. He would play if he has shown he was even remotely capable.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:33 pm Richard dug his own grave not getting another pg option for this year. People can rip on Coffey all they want, they were probably the same people who said Hoffarber was shit when he had to go play point because Nolan got hurt and Devoe walked out on the team mid season. Coffey will play in the NBA.
I know you're a lot higher on him than most of us, but I'm having a harder and harder time seeing it. He's decent with size and athletic ability, but what else? He'll have to play the 3, period. Doesn't handle or shoot particularly well. Is he quick enough to get by NBA defenders? I don't know.

He'll probably get drafted in the 2nd round and play a minute or two here or there. So technically, I agree with you that he'll play in the NBA. However, g-league is more likely with oversees after a year or two possible as well. As a regular on an NBA team, I don't see it.
Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:32 am
jffl_commish wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:27 am Kalscheur is the teams only shooter, period. Well, Stull maybe, but he doesn't play much. Anyway, it's on Pitino to get offense through him for shots, and it's on Coffey to quit shooting when he can't hit the broadside of the barn and facilitate. It's on Murhphy a little too. He can kick the ball out of the triple teams once in a while.

This is on a team who has absolutely no depth on their bench either. He would play if he has shown he was even remotely capable.
All I said about Stull is as a shooter, and he is. 50% this year, 38% last year and 40% the year before (from 3 anyway). But agreed, he's not a Big 10 player. Which goes back to Pitino doing a piss poor job of roster construction.
Let's get Tropical
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:34 am
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:33 pm Richard dug his own grave not getting another pg option for this year. People can rip on Coffey all they want, they were probably the same people who said Hoffarber was shit when he had to go play point because Nolan got hurt and Devoe walked out on the team mid season. Coffey will play in the NBA.
I know you're a lot higher on him than most of us, but I'm having a harder and harder time seeing it. He's decent with size and athletic ability, but what else? He'll have to play the 3, period. Doesn't handle or shoot particularly well. Is he quick enough to get by NBA defenders? I don't know.

He'll probably get drafted in the 2nd round and play a minute or two here or there. So technically, I agree with you that he'll play in the NBA. However, g-league is more likely with oversees after a year or two possible as well. As a regular on an NBA team, I don't see it.
Ya, now it's "Play in the NBA" Anyone might do that. Sign on as some undrafted guy etc.. Two year's ago it was "We better hope he doesn't leave early" etc..

And no, he won't be a 2nd rd pick unless he's a completely different player next year than he has been his first three year's here.

Maybe the next HC can get something out of him. No one seems to improve here year after year anymore.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:37 am

All I said about Stull is as a shooter, and he is. 50% this year, 38% last year and 40% the year before (from 3 anyway). But agreed, he's not a Big 10 player. Which goes back to Pitino doing a piss poor job of roster construction.
I understand what you are saying.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:34 am

Doesn't handle well? He's playing the point guard at 6'8. Come on.

Can everyone agree he had a great freshman year? And why? Because it was a quality starting lineup, him playing on the wing naturally. Had they let Washington have a bigger role from the beginning of the year maybe the wins are less but I guarantee Coffey is more comfortable. His freshman year he never played point because they had Mason and then Dupree would handle it when Mason wasn't on the floor. Now they have Coffey and Dupree on the floor and it's Coffey who handles for the most part.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:24 am
ForCaleb wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:08 am

How do you have Murphy and Oturu dominating consistently down low yet you can't get a open look for any of your wings?!?

The whole Coffey thing is a fucking wreck too. Wouldn't it be better to play Washington and at least put what is supposed to be one of your better player's back to his natural position? You have just effectively ruined two positions.
I agree with these points.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Stull and Hurt get in there and then never look to shoot. A good coach tells them if you go into the game and you have a look, take the shot. No reason why the only guys allowed to shoot are Coffey, McBrayer, Oturu, Murphy etc... McBrayer is never shy from shooting. Why couldn't Stull be told the same?
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Favorites for another NIT title at this point? Harkens me back to the Voshon Leonard days!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hornets wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:38 am Favorites for another NIT title at this point? Harkens me back to the Voshon Leonard days!
Pitino's second NIT title would be a fitting end to the Pitino / Norwood Teague era.

I don't see what valuable experience would be gained by going to the NIT. When they won in 2014 it was fun because they only had a couple of seniors who played big minutes.

This year... four seniors, two who play heavy minutes, two freshmen who are good building blocks but I don't think the NIT will gain them much experience at this point since they've started a ton, I don't see Curry/Coffey needing more minutes at this point. Curry hopefully feels better next year coming in, other injuries have bothered him besides the knee.

Experience for Omersa or Washington? Sure, but would Pitino play them? I think Washington transfers after this year. Pitino should have let him stay out there but it clearly shows in his minutes distribution that he feels he has to win to save his job.