Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gophers@Nebraska

Home for Gopher Basketball
Big Head

Re: Gophers@Nebraska

Post by Big Head »

jffl_commish wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:00 am I didn't watch the game, so I'm sure I'll be missing some things.

1) Why didn't Washington play more? Seriously, he's their only PG. I think you have to ride or die with him and have McBrayer as the 6th man and move Coffey back to the 3.

2) Murphy and Oturo are the only ones that shot free throws. That is extremely pathetic and suggests a lack of attack. Maybe I'm wrong on the attack part, but none the less that is ridiculous to only shoot 8 free throws from 2 guys.

3) I didn't see the calls at the end of course. Was the charge on Murphy really a charge? How horrific was the last call on Coffey? If that same play happened in the first minute of the game, is it a foul? Granted, I really think it's bullshit that shooters can jump into a defender and get a call. Is that how it happened?
1. Nebraska wasn't pressuring the ball full court. It was a pretty easy game to have Coffey bring the ball up and put better shooters on the floor.
2. The intent every time down the court in the second half was get the ball to Murphy - or possibly Orturo. We were attacking whoever was guarding Murphy most of the game.
3. I thought the Murphy charge was a block, but it was close. The call on Coffey was also questionable, but not awful. Coffey didn't exactly have his arms straight up or complete control of his body, but the Nebraska guy clearly jumped into him to force the contact. I've definitely seen worse calls, or this call go the other way (or go un-called). The shot clock was expiring, so the ref bailed Nebraska out by blowing the whistle. The call I really had a problem with was between these two calls we got a stop and a lose ball rebound, and the ref called us out of bounds giving them the ball back to get the foul on Coffey. It was kind of a mess of bodies, and we had a guy who was laying half in bounds and half out, but our guy had the ball and he looked to be clearly in-bounds. We really needed to make a stink about that call and at least get a video review on it.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:30 pm The last offensive play was brutal watching Coffey dribble for most of the shot clock and dump it to Murphy for the charge.

I have a feeling Pitino will be back though and this team is not going to be any better next year. In fact, I believe it will be worse.

Add this Stull kid with Hurt as two guy's who should be playing at the University of River Falls.
Stull ws one of the better players at UW-Milwaukee. Stop being a dumbass and thinking any kid who doesn't dominate in the big ten automatically goes to D3.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

A terrible call on Coffey but more frustrating for me A) the play call on the final offensive possession B) not securing the loose ball after getting a stop

Pitino's seat is getting really, really warm. I thought he could have won this game, beat Indiana and then beat Northwestern and Rutgers on the road and they could have been in. 6-4 to 6-8, ouch.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Having virtually nothing for the next recruiting class can't be helping much.
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:58 am Having virtually nothing for the next recruiting class can't be helping much.
Spring recruiting is a big deal now. And Tre Williams has moved up rankings a ton. Much needed wing player.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... ams-185448
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

He's the only signing so far, right?
Let's get Tropical
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Pitino is wasting players, including Murphy. He's role should be junk guy on offense, not a centerpiece. He'd have more points rebounding Oturu misses.
With this, I'm officially done with this season. Good luck to you, Richard, where ever you land. You seem like a decent guy.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Ask Not wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:45 am Pitino is wasting players, including Murphy. He's role should be junk guy on offense, not a centerpiece. He'd have more points rebounding Oturu misses.
With this, I'm officially done with this season. Good luck to you, Richard, where ever you land. You seem like a decent guy.
Watching Murph try to take it to the hole that last possession was comical....he just lowered his shoulder and tried to bull his way to the rim. It was destined to be a foul.....I do think the Rodents got jabbed on that Coffey foul, but in reality, does any of this really matter? This team has ZERO chance of making any kind of run in the Dance without a legitimate scoring threat & PG.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
full force five

Post by full force five »

Agreed. If you are an NCAA tourney team you stomp Nebraska.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:10 am He's the only signing so far, right?
Yes. If Pitino is still here, I'm guessing he'll try to add a couple more bigs, hopefully one who is a grad transfer so they can keep a 2020 scholarship open. As the season goes on, I have a hard time imagining Washington staying here. It will be an interesting spring recruiting season!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ask Not wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:45 am Pitino is wasting players, including Murphy. He's role should be junk guy on offense, not a centerpiece. He'd have more points rebounding Oturu misses.
He will land on his feet, long coaching career ahead of him. It's just not working here, the big ten record is brutal after 6 years.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:47 am Agreed. If you are an NCAA tourney team you stomp Nebraska.
Stomp on the road? Maybe not but they needed that game, badly.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:05 am
jffl_commish wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:10 am He's the only signing so far, right?
Yes. If Pitino is still here, I'm guessing he'll try to add a couple more bigs, hopefully one who is a grad transfer so they can keep a 2020 scholarship open. As the season goes on, I have a hard time imagining Washington staying here. It will be an interesting spring recruiting season!
Hopefully he lands a PG. Even next year they'll be very thin there. And I agree on Washington. I was surprised he came back this year.
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:27 am
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:05 am
Hopefully he lands a PG. Even next year they'll be very thin there. And I agree on Washington. I was surprised he came back this year.
If Washington is back, they'd have Carr/Willis/Washington as PG options. Sprinkle in Coffey as a ball handler, they would be fine. Right now they have Curry (questionable health), Oturu and Omersa up front. Not enough.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:39 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:30 pm The last offensive play was brutal watching Coffey dribble for most of the shot clock and dump it to Murphy for the charge.

I have a feeling Pitino will be back though and this team is not going to be any better next year. In fact, I believe it will be worse.

Add this Stull kid with Hurt as two guy's who should be playing at the University of River Falls.
Stop being a dumbass
As if he has any control over that. :lol:
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

I guess my biggest issue with Gopher basketball over the last 4 or 5 seasons is that players don’t develop over their time here. I actually don’t have a huge issue with Pitino’s recruiting. It’s more the development. Jordan Murphy and Dupree McBrayer are notable examples to me. They’re pretty much the same players they were as sophomores. And I like Murphy. But his offensive development especially has not really progressed. I guess I should be fair and mention that some guys have left the team who could have helped and Coffey has been better this season imo.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Stull ws one of the better players at UW-Milwaukee. Stop being a dumbass and thinking any kid who doesn't dominate in the big ten automatically goes to D3.
Dominate? How about just being a contributing member to the team?
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:19 pm

Dominate? How about just being a contributing member to the team?
You get the picture. Guy is one of the best players at UW-Milwaukee, historically a decent mid to low major program and because he doesn't excel here, he should be at River Falls. LOL.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:46 pm I guess my biggest issue with Gopher basketball over the last 4 or 5 seasons is that players don’t develop over their time here. I actually don’t have a huge issue with Pitino’s recruiting. It’s more the development. Jordan Murphy and Dupree McBrayer are notable examples to me. They’re pretty much the same players they were as sophomores. And I like Murphy. But his offensive development especially has not really progressed. I guess I should be fair and mention that some guys have left the team who could have helped and Coffey has been better this season imo.
Nate Mason and Murphy IMO have gotten better. I think Murphy's issue now compared to his sophomore year is trying to do way too much by himself.

Pitino's on year six but he doesn't have a ton of examples of guys who were here 4 years.

Mason, Bakary (improved but still terribly overmatched in the big ten), Diedhiou (one of the worst D1 basketball players I've ever seen), Murphy, McBrayer.

Your case is right on Hurt and probably Dupree. Amir is talented but has to play out of position for now. You could put Coffey on any of the top 10-15 teams in the nation and he'd fit in fine. No, I'm not saying he'd start of every team but he'd be playing and exceeding. Look no further than Geno Crandall who is a solid player, goes from UND's top guy to a rotational player with Gonzaga. Amir has the skillset to play in the NBA, anyone who disagrees will eat crow eventually.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I wonder how much of the Hurt recruiting took his brother into consideration? I mean, if Matthew didn't have a younger brother that was going to be a stud that they wanted, would Matthew even be here?
Let's get Tropical
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:30 pm I wonder how much of the Hurt recruiting took his brother into consideration? I mean, if Matthew didn't have a younger brother that was going to be a stud that they wanted, would Matthew even be here?
I would guess that 90% of his recruitment was in efforts to get the younger Hurt here...As stated previously, Matthew through no fault of his own is not a D1 player. Had he gone the D3 route he would certainly be a starter somewhere, and maybe even a chance at all-conference. The poor kid is completely overmatched whenever he is out on the court....
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners: