Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Next Gophers Men’s Basketball Coach

Home for Gopher Basketball
Hornets

Re: Next Gophers Men’s Basketball Coach

Post by Hornets »

Didn't I just see somewhere that White is going to join the MMA?!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

That he is. Been training for the past 7 months already. He wants to go straight to the UFC. Good luck with that.
Let's get Tropical
D_H

Post by D_H »

Muss :beer:
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

D_H wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:31 pmMuss :beer:
Rumors are out there for UCLA.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
D_H

Post by D_H »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:24 pm
D_H wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:31 pmMuss :beer:
Rumors are out there for UCLA.
Ahh yes that makes sense I guess. Damn!! :brick:
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

I think Pitino gets another year. Guard depth is his fault though despite what the ncaa did.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

From Shooter today regarding Mr Jackson

Now 45, Jackson was at Target Center last week as player development coach for the Sacramento Kings, who were playing the Timberwolves. Jackson follows his alma mater Gophers closely.

“My honest critique? The Gophers are a good, young team, but I think they play too slow,” he said. “Especially for a young college team. I’d like to see them play faster, get up and down the floor, pick up full court, trap the ball. I want my guards to pick up 94 feet, get steals, push the tempo.

“But,” he added, “not everybody’s like me.”

For sure. As a Gopher, Jackson was omnipresent. In the NBA for Sacramento, he was popularly known as “Action Jackson.”

These days, his mission is to develop players.

“Helping them improve, but also helping myself improve,” he said. “I’d like to coach, be a head coach at some point in time. I wouldn’t rule out college. I’ve got my college degree.”

Coaching at Minnesota?

“Of course — it’s my alma mater,” he said.

If the criteria is on-court success, you can make an argument that Jackson’s jersey should hang in the rafters at Williams Arena.

But that’s unlikely to happen. There’s that 1999 academic fraud scandal under coach Clem Haskins that resulted in severe NCAA penalties for Minnesota. Jackson was a star player for Haskins.

“I would love that, to go up there in the rafters,” Jackson said. “But you’ve got to talk to the NCAA on that. Because of the academic scandal, that’s why they won’t retire it.

“But if not, I’m not mad or disappointed about it. I want what’s best for the university. I don’t hold grudges — that’s the thing about me — I move on, and I’ll always support the University of Minnesota.”
Let's get Tropical
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Bobby Jackson will never coach here. The Board of Regents with their sticks shoved straight up their asses will never allow that. Oh no, he didn't do his own homework!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Yeah, zero chance Jackson would get a gig here. It's nice to have the memories of 1997 but you get caught committing academic fraud at a non blue blood school and you're tarnished for life.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Coach K?
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:35 pmCoach K?
Jon Scheyer should get a look. I bet Matthew Hurt would stay home for him.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

feekdogg wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:03 pm Bobby Jackson will never coach here. The Board of Regents with their sticks shoved straight up their asses will never allow that. Oh no, he didn't do his own homework!
What's his coaching resume look like??
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Hornets wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:10 am
feekdogg wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:03 pm Bobby Jackson will never coach here. The Board of Regents with their sticks shoved straight up their asses will never allow that. Oh no, he didn't do his own homework!
What's his coaching resume look like??
Pretty typical for climbing the NBA ranks. Scouting/player development for Wolves and Kings. He's been an assistant coach with two different Kings coaches. No time coaching college, so recruiting would be an unknown. MN would be the only place I could see him leaving the NBA for, but like I said, that's not happening.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Linardi still has the Gophers as a “first four bye”.

Does he not take into account remaining games left to play in his projections? (In the Gophers case PUR, @MARY)
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

ForCaleb wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:38 pm Linardi still has the Gophers as a “first four bye”.

Does he not take into account remaining games left to play in his projections? (In the Gophers case PUR, @MARY)
What's that got to do with the next coach? :lol:
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:31 am
ForCaleb wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:38 pm Linardi still has the Gophers as a “first four bye”.

I didn’t want to start a new thread :)
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

ForCaleb wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:45 am
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:31 am

I didn’t want to start a new thread :)
:lol: :thumbsup:
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

I wonder if a Saunders will be looking for work in a couple months. :shrug:
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ask Not wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:26 am I wonder if a Saunders will be looking for work in a couple months. :shrug:
I don't think he would have to look too hard. April is next month by the way. :D
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Rumor out there that Pitino will potentially head to Boston College after the season.

Holberg to Nebraska is the hot rumor.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:10 pm Rumor out there that Pitino will potentially head to Boston College after the season.

Hmm.. Wouldn't this be something if Richard was the one to leave us. :thinking:

I don't really like most candidates this year. I think if Richard stays, you give him the last year of his deal and see what he can do.

For the love of god Glen.... Keep the young Saunders boy away from the Gophers!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:15 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:10 pm Rumor out there that Pitino will potentially head to Boston College after the season.

Hmm.. Wouldn't this be something if Richard was the one to leave us. :thinking:

I don't really like most candidates this year. I think if Richard stays, you give him the last year of his deal and see what he can do.

For the love of god Glen.... Keep the young Saunders boy away from the Gophers!
My guess is Richard would leave because he thinks he's gone.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Has anyone said Rick Pitino yet? :?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Coincidence? Nate Oats signs a contract extension at Buffalo as rumors of Pitino to Boston College surface?
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

I feel like no matter what the Twolves and Gophers will always make the wrong coaching hire.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:09 am I feel like no matter what the Twolves and Gophers will always make the wrong coaching hire.
Were PJ Fleck or Bob Motzko or Lindsay Whalen the wrong hires?
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:12 pm
The Replacements wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:09 am I feel like no matter what the Twolves and Gophers will always make the wrong coaching hire.
I was referring to men's basketball. That is the subject, right? As for Fleck, 5-13 conference record doesn't make him a great hire.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:17 pm
I was referring to men's basketball. That is the subject, right? As for Fleck, 5-13 conference record doesn't make him a great hire.
Got it, I was referring to Coyle. I think he's 3/3 so far. Fleck took over a dumpster fire that was left here after Claeys didn't do much for recruiting and had numerous players kicked off the team.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I don't know enough about hockey on Motzko, but Fleck was THE hire, and Whalen was about the best hire for the program he could have made. Hopefully they both pan out, time will tell. But I believe those two to be correct.

Pitino isn't going anywhere though as far as replacing him this year.
Let's get Tropical
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Too early to tell, but Fleck appears to be a slightly better version of Brewster. Whalen started out great, but once they got to real competition, they fell off pretty quickly. I'd be interested to see what Whalen does with her own recruits for a few years, so I'll hold judgment on that one for a while. No idea who the other guy is, I'm assuming hockey?