Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Next Gophers Men’s Basketball Coach

Home for Gopher Basketball
Sid Hartman

Next Gophers Men’s Basketball Coach

Post by Sid Hartman »

Little Richie is going to be hitting unemployment line come seasons end...who you got to replace him?
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
Herky

Re: Next Gophers Men’s Basketball Coach

Post by Herky »

His Big Ten record isn’t good at all but what’s his contract status? Is it NCAA tournement or bust?
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Herky wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:52 pm His Big Ten record isn’t good at all but what’s his contract status? Is it NCAA tournement or bust?
He has one more year on his contract. I say it's tourney or bust. Go read other Gopher forums and it's hard to find much support anymore. He has something like a .348 Big 10 winning %

Greg Gaard already has 3 more Big 10 wins and has coached two full seasons less.

There are rumors that Coyle really likes Richard though. He did a hell of a job getting Fleck here so i am interested to see what he could do here. He came from a basketball school also.
Last edited by RubeTube on Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Sid Hartman wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:56 pm Little Richie is going to be hitting unemployment line come seasons end...who you got to replace him?
Have to wait and see what's available. A proven guy would be the way to go imo

Just keep Ryan Saunders name out of it lol.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:14 pm
Sid Hartman wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:56 pm Little Richie is going to be hitting unemployment line come seasons end...who you got to replace him?
Have to wait and see what's available. A proven guy would be the way to go imo

Like Richie’s dad? :shrug:
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Herky wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:52 pm His Big Ten record isn’t good at all but what’s his contract status? Is it NCAA tournement or bust?
I think the right thing to do is move on from him if they don't make the tournament. Coyle better have a guy locked and loaded like he did with football and hockey though. Who? First call should be to Eric Mussleman. I'm sure Ben Jacobson/Fred Hoiberg will be on a short list too.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:51 am
I think the right thing to do is move on from him if they don't make the tournament. Coyle better have a guy locked and loaded like he did with football and hockey though. Who? First call should be to Eric Mussleman. I'm sure Ben Jacobson/Fred Hoiberg will be on a short list too.
Jacobson is my #1. I like Tim Miles. 50/50 on Hoiberg but I wouldn't hate it.

Mussleman I think is good but he's such a huge douche but that's just personal opinion.

Just as long as it's someone with a proven track record. No more experiments.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

In all honesty, does it really matter who they might bring in? The U of M has a curse on most of its sports programs.....coaches can come and coaches can go, but the bottom line is we aren't winners.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Hornets wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:08 pm In all honesty, does it really matter who they might bring in? The U of M has a curse on most of its sports programs.....coaches can come and coaches can go, but the bottom line is we aren't winners.
Not as much of a curse as we are just not looked at as a "Premier" place to go.

Wisconsin and Iowa is more attractive at this point for cripes sakes. You need big time coaches for your sports to turn it around in a environment like this. We are never going to get the cream of the crop. You need a HC who can coach them up ala Bo Ryan.

Football has been shit here my whole life. Basketball was once HUGE here.

It hasn't been like that since Clem Haskins was fired. Clem should never have been fired either. Maybe that was the jinx?
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

I'm worried Coyle sticks with Pitino though. Rumors are he loves him.

The biggest factor is MONEY.

Some said last night at the game there were probably more Badger fans there than Gophers. Most of the games this year have had a lot of empty seats. There isn't a lot of buzz for this team this year and they have actually played above(At least mine) expectations.

Ultimately that is what is going to get him fired. This reminds me so much of the end of the Monson era.

I can see Pitino sticking even if they fail to make the tourney since he has a year left and he's canned during next season when the wheels completely fall off like Monson.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Remember this guy?

I loved his short time here. Maybe it's because I hated Monson so bad.

— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

I don’t see it happening.
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:20 pm I'm worried Coyle sticks with Pitino though. Rumors are he loves him.

Some said last night at the game there were probably more Badger fans there than Gophers. Most of the games this year have had a lot of empty seats. There isn't a lot of buzz for this team this year and they have actually played above(At least mine) expectations.

Ultimately that is what is going to get him fired. This reminds me so much of the end of the Monson era.

I can see Pitino sticking even if they fail to make the tourney since he has a year left and he's canned during next season when the wheels completely fall off like Monson.
Wrong on red per my buddy who was there. And no, it's not the Monson era. I went to a conference game the year Monson got fired, I will never forget that. It's not even close to that right now. Monson also got 7 full years, fired early into his 8th season. The only thing that saved him must have been year six.

I don't think the wheels will fall off next year either, not if Coffey is back. With the transfer market so hot, he could pick up a good quality big in that market, maybe get this juco big he wants badly, they are losing Murphy which won't be easy to replace but Oturu is pretty damn good too.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:16 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:20 pm I'm worried Coyle sticks with Pitino though. Rumors are he loves him.

Wrong on red per my buddy who was there. And no, it's not the Monson era. I went to a conference game the year Monson got fired, I will never forget that. It's not even close to that right now. Monson also got 7 full years, fired early into his 8th season. The only thing that saved him must have been year six.

I don't think the wheels will fall off next year either, not if Coffey is back. With the transfer market so hot, he could pick up a good quality big in that market, maybe get this juco big he wants badly, they are losing Murphy which won't be easy to replace but Oturu is pretty damn good too.
I didn't say the attendance is at the point of Monson. I'm saying this just feels like that.

Let me ask you something....

Where you in favor of firing Tubby? They are getting close to the same amount of games.

6 year's

Tubby only had one year where they finished with less than 20+ plus.

.605 overall win %

.425 Big 10 %

3 out of 6 year's he took us to the tourney. The year they fired him, made it to the rd of 32.

Almost 6 year's

Richard Pitino

.555 overall win %

.340 Big Ten win %

Won 20+ games only two seasons.

1 tourney appearance

Had the worst season in school history at 8-23

Dan Monson

Overall .527 %

Big ten .393 %

It's laughable he should even come back because he may or may not have a bubble team.

He's basically the new Monson.

Oh but he recruits well! If you believe he recruits well, he must be a absolutely terrible basketball coach. :shrug:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
full force five

Post by full force five »

Gopher hoops was really good until Tubby left. Monson and Pitino have been garbage. Add in mixed recruiting for Pitino equals fire his ass. This years team plus recruiting class are reason enough. If you can get Jacobson, great. If you can get Hoiberg that would be home run I think.

I do think Fleck has the football team going in the right direct with a 8-9 win very realistic next year.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

full force five wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:36 am Gopher hoops was really good until Tubby left. Monson and Pitino have been garbage. Add in mixed recruiting for Pitino equals fire his ass. This years team plus recruiting class are reason enough. If you can get Jacobson, great. If you can get Hoiberg that would be home run I think.

I do think Fleck has the football team going in the right direct with a 8-9 win very realistic next year.
Completely agree. :thumbsup:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
full force five

The thing that chaps my ass more than anything is going O'fer this year on signing Minnesota kids to the 2019 class. You have 6 D-1 players signed (hurt included) and zero going to Minnesota. In 2020 you have a 5 star and 4 - 4 star kids and prospects aren't great there except maybe Daijna or Walton.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:49 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:16 pm

I didn't say the attendance is at the point of Monson. I'm saying this just feels like that.

Let me ask you something....

Where you in favor of firing Tubby? They are getting close to the same amount of games.

6 year's

Tubby only had one year where they finished with less than 20+ plus.

.605 overall win %

.425 Big 10 %

3 out of 6 year's he took us to the tourney. The year they fired him, made it to the rd of 32.

Almost 6 year's

Richard Pitino

.555 overall win %

.340 Big Ten win %

Won 20+ games only two seasons.

1 tourney appearance

Had the worst season in school history at 8-23

Dan Monson

Overall .527 %

Big ten .393 %

It's laughable he should even come back because he may or may not have a bubble team.

He's basically the new Monson.

Oh but he recruits well! If you believe he recruits well, he must be a absolutely terrible basketball coach. :shrug:
You're not saying anything that hasn't been brought up on here numerous times by numerous people. Everyone knows Tubby got fired after three tourney appearances, 6 seasons. Pitino is on year six and only one tournament appearance. LOGIC tells you if they don't make the tournament, he's gone. You don't have to be a fan of this team or have a hard on for Pitino to understand that logic.
Last edited by HeHateMe on Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:51 am The thing that chaps my ass more than anything is going O'fer this year on signing Minnesota kids to the 2019 class. You have 6 D-1 players signed (hurt included) and zero going to Minnesota. In 2020 you have a 5 star and 4 - 4 star kids and prospects aren't great there except maybe Daijna or Walton.
I'm not following this statement.

As far as the 19 class, they lost Nnaji to a blue blood. Wahl/Terry would have been good additions but maybe they wanted bigger roles immediately?

I must be missing the sixth guy off the top... regarding David Roddy though, he picked Colorado St. I don't know if he ever projected to be a starter for the Gophers, I think he would have been a solid pickup so it's clearly a miss but there's also a chance they find a better player in the spring. Nnaji/Hurt, no, you aren't getting better than that. Terry was a need until they got Willis and Carr coming in next year.

The 2020 class is HUGE. Pitino (if still here) needs to land 2-3 of these guys.
full force five

Jones from Prior Lake, 3 star. Seems like the gophers didn't give him a sniff but went after Roddy?!?

2020 is huge, 5 high level guys in MN for who ever is here at the UofM.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Anyone who is a realtor or owns a moving company call the U and ask for Richie
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Ok this is becoming a reality...short list?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Just don't let it be Saunders.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Steve Wojciechowski (Marquette)
Nate Oats (Buffalo)
Matt McMahon (Murray State)
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Jacobson is my #1 choice.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

If Saunders doesn't get the Wolves job (he will), he'll be a pretty likely contender for this one if it opens.
Let's get Tropical
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

jffl_commish wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:24 pm If Saunders doesn't get the Wolves job (he will), he'll be a pretty likely contender for this one if it opens.
I will completely give up if that happens.

I would rather see Richard stay.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:26 pm
jffl_commish wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:24 pm If Saunders doesn't get the Wolves job (he will), he'll be a pretty likely contender for this one if it opens.

You're fuckin' nuts.... but I don't think Ryan should go away from the NBA at this point.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:36 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:26 pm

You're fuckin' nuts.... but I don't think Ryan should go away from the NBA at this point.
You know I have been wanting Pitino fired. I want nothing to do with Saunders though.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

ForCaleb wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:03 pm Steve Wojciechowski (Marquette)
Nate Oats (Buffalo)
Matt McMahon (Murray State)
Like all three of these. Musselman would be ok too.

I liked Tim Miles here but have started to sour on him the last couple weeks.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master