Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Next Gophers Men’s Basketball Coach

Home for Gopher Basketball
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: Next Gophers Men’s Basketball Coach

Post by HeHateMe »

Dan33185 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:31 pm Ok, I feel like I missed something...when did Arkansas become a coveted job?
My guess is they'd pay more than MN. And Arkansas under Richardson/Sutton had more success than Minnesota ever.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:39 pm
Dan33185 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:31 pm Ok, I feel like I missed something...when did Arkansas become a coveted job?
I wouldn't say it's coveted but it's funny how Gopher fans are acting over this.

They are a better program than the Gophers. Then you get the "Why would anyone want to live there"

People from Arkansas are saying the same thing "Why would anyone want to live here"

Minnesota fans are a extremely soft bunch.

They just fired a guy who has taken them to the tourney 3 out of the last 5 year's.
You’re pretty thick if you think Arkansas is a more desirable place to live than Minnesota. Few unbiased people are choosing Fayetteville over Minneapolis or Little Rock over Saint Paul.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:24 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:39 pm
I wouldn't say it's coveted but it's funny how Gopher fans are acting over this.

They are a better program than the Gophers. Then you get the "Why would anyone want to live there"

People from Arkansas are saying the same thing "Why would anyone want to live here"

Minnesota fans are a extremely soft bunch.

They just fired a guy who has taken them to the tourney 3 out of the last 5 year's.
You’re pretty thick if you think Arkansas is a more desirable place to live than Minnesota. Few unbiased people are choosing Fayetteville over Minneapolis or Little Rock over Saint Paul.
I'm not saying it is better. I wouldn't like anywhere down South. I'm just saying that this isn't a desirable location for many people either.

At least you are not in -25 degree weather there when the season is going on. Some people might choose Arkansas just for that purpose alone.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

If you’re choosing a place to live solely on weather, and not economics, education, healthcare, culture, etc...you’re an idiot. And deserve to live in Arkansas. The South is rife with terrible schools, terrible infrastructure, and healthcare. They get more federal money for welfare than any other region. I’ve been all over, the South isn’t it, unless you love high school and college football. And I’m not trying to be a jerk towards you Sergeant Rubetube, I like you, but Minnesota is close to objectively a better place to live.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:33 pm If you’re choosing a place to live solely on weather, and not economics, education, healthcare, culture, etc...you’re an idiot. And deserve to live in Arkansas. The South is rife with terrible schools, terrible infrastructure, and healthcare. They get more federal money for welfare than any other region. I’ve been all over, the South isn’t it, unless you love high school and college football. And I’m not trying to be a jerk towards you Sergeant Rubetube, I like you, but Minnesota is close to objectively a better place to live.
I'm not saying it's not Kev. I agree with you. I would never want to live there. I am also someone who likes winter over summer as I hate warm weather.

I'm just saying when it comes to the bigger cities, people scoff at the thought of either of these areas.

Like HHM said, I guarantee Richard would love to be out East.

Also, Education, Healthcare etc don't matter for these people. You seriously don't think there is somewhere there that someone with the money Richard has, can't find a good private school?

I get that Minnesota has some of the best Healthcare etc in the world but even you living in Minnesota, Ruchard is still going to see a better doctor than you or I ever will ever see. It doesn't matter where he lives. He can go hop on a plane and see the greatest doctors in the world.

It's a different set of rules for these people.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

My point is Richard can go to Arkansas and live in just as nice of a home, see top doctors, make boatloads of cash and leave when he wants.

Hell, his old man went to Louisville.

I guarantee when goes back East he will say "I'm glad to be out of Minnesota and Arkansas"

There has already been rumblings that he doesn't like living here over the year's.

These people live the best lives wherever they go.

Now if you are talking about regular people, there is no doubt Minnesota is better.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Pitino likes Minnesota. Coyle likely offered an extension that wasn't extremely favorable towards Pitino, Pitino sees the writing on the wall of another bad season and he'll get fired. If he has interest from other schools, why would he not explore it?

I don't think Minnesota fans are going to be upset if Pitino leaves on his own. Matthew Hurt getting interviewed and saying Minnesota stopped talking to him confirms reports from Ryan James and Doogie previously. How did that happen? Pitino hasn't done himself favors locally and losing Ben Johnson was a dagger to the program IMO.

I love this program too much to not get behind Pitino if he's the guy but if he feels he's a lame duck coach, go somewhere else. I'd prefer to make a change now versus next year when the 2020 kids are already signed (likely).
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Not talking to Hurt is inexcusable. You keep after that kid until he literally signs somewhere else.
Let's get Tropical
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:52 pm Pitino likes Minnesota. Coyle likely offered an extension that wasn't extremely favorable towards Pitino, Pitino sees the writing on the wall of another bad season and he'll get fired. If he has interest from other schools, why would he not explore it?

I don't think Minnesota fans are going to be upset if Pitino leaves on his own. Matthew Hurt getting interviewed and saying Minnesota stopped talking to him confirms reports from Ryan James and Doogie previously. How did that happen? Pitino hasn't done himself favors locally and losing Ben Johnson was a dagger to the program IMO.

I love this program too much to not get behind Pitino if he's the guy but if he feels he's a lame duck coach, go somewhere else. I'd prefer to make a change now versus next year when the 2020 kids are already signed (likely).
They went to the tournament and won an NCAA game. Is that a bad season for Gopher basketball? He's not a great coach and he's not a bad coach. The real question is if not Pitino then who? It's not easy to attract coaches unless your willing to spend top $$$. They did that with Tubby with mixed results.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:27 am
HeHateMe wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:52 pm Pitino likes Minnesota. Coyle likely offered an extension that wasn't extremely favorable towards Pitino, Pitino sees the writing on the wall of another bad season and he'll get fired. If he has interest from other schools, why would he not explore it?

They went to the tournament and won an NCAA game. Is that a bad season for Gopher basketball? He's not a great coach and he's not a bad coach. The real question is if not Pitino then who? It's not easy to attract coaches unless your willing to spend top $$$. They did that with Tubby with mixed results.
It was a really good season, they met expectations of getting to the tournament and then won a game. And you're right, he's not a great coach and far from bad. That's why he has an extension sitting on the table right now to extend him for a year. The issue here is Pitino now feels like he's a lame duck coach. He's clearly not Coyle's longterm guy at this point and that is causing Richard to look elsewhere versus signing. Maybe he'll end up signing and just say we'll see what happens next year. What about his assistants though? Does someone lure Kyle Lindsted away which would essentially kill any momentum for a top 100ish guard in Grant Sherfield?

Who is next? Well Eric Musselman apparently has contacted the Gophers. Nate Oats and Tj Otzelberger were two guys I thought would be on a short list and both upgraded their jobs big time. Keep an eye on Craig Smith from Utah St (Minnesota native).
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Received a call tonight, sounds like Musselman will be Arkansas HC.

Could be announced as early as Monday.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:53 am Received a call tonight, sounds like Musselman will be Arkansas HC.

Once they knew Beard wasn’t coming...

On Pitino, looks like his deal is waiting to see what dominos fall after Virginia tech opening. This is related to whether seton hall or providence or St. John’s could open up.
D_H

Post by D_H »

LMAO

Don't let the door hit you on the way out Richard :lol:

Jesus Christ I wouldn't pay one penny more for that very average coach.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:44 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:53 am Received a call tonight, sounds like Musselman will be Arkansas HC.

On Pitino, looks like his deal is waiting to see what dominos fall after Virginia tech opening. This is related to whether seton hall or providence or St. John’s could open up.
How long can Coyle wait for Pitino to figure it out? We have a lot of open scholarships to fill.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

It's already done Pitino signs a two year extension. Bleh.

As one Gophers fan said "Mediocrity rewarded"

He wasn't going anywhere anyway. Most of the good candidates this year already took jobs.

Richard never truly had anywhere else to go.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Well that's why my guy called so late.

Done deal! Musselman to Arkansas.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:05 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:44 am

How long can Coyle wait for Pitino to figure it out? We have a lot of open scholarships to fill.
Looks like Pitino finally agreed to sign and all is set for at least next year. Time to fill out that roster. I hope Lindsted is back. Wouldn’t mind them finding a guy with local ties to replace Conroy or Jeter.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:09 pm It's already done Pitino signs a two year extension. Bleh.

As one Gophers fan said "Mediocrity rewarded"

He wasn't going anywhere anyway. Most of the good candidates this year already took jobs.

Richard never truly had anywhere else to go.
This
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

The extension is for recruiting purposes. I’d guess the buyout hasn’t changed much at all.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Oh goodie more years losing in Big 10 play.

Hooray we're so lucky!
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Im good with the extension.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

mglviks wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:56 pm Im good with the extension.
without Murphy and Coffey here next season, this team is going to be awful, and its going to fall on Pitino. People will be shouting to fire him.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

At least we still have the older Hurt brother!!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hornets wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:05 am At least we still have the older Hurt brother!!
Sid thinks he wants out. The question is, will Duke take him?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:15 pm
without Murphy and Coffey here next season, this team is going to be awful, and its going to fall on Pitino. People will be shouting to fire him.
IMO, Richard will leave on his own after next season. Buyout is getting lower which is nice for the U but I think Richard will look to see what job potentially opens out east.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:22 am
IMO, Richard will leave on his own after next season. Buyout is getting lower which is nice for the U but I think Richard will look to see what job potentially opens out east.
Someone needs to want him first. Who's going after a sub-par to middlin' coach from Minnesota? I don't know if you're over-valuing the school or his last name.
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ask Not wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:32 am

Someone needs to want him first. Who's going after a sub-par to middlin' coach from Minnesota? I don't know if you're over-valuing the school or his last name.
Virginia Tech just hired the Wofford coach. If you don't think Pitino could potentially be a candidate at a school out east like St John's, Seton Hall, etc... I'm not sure what to tell you!
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:17 am
Hornets wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:05 am At least we still have the older Hurt brother!!
Sid thinks he wants out. The question is, will Duke take him?
Maybe Nike can broker the Hurt to Duke deal just like Zion.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Should not have stopped talking with Hurt, but kinda had to know it was a lost cause and a waste of time.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Ask Not wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:32 am

Agree. I don't think he should ever have been given a opportunity of this magnitude to begin with.

I don't see him being sought after.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master