Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gophers @ Illinois

Home for Gopher Basketball
full force five

Re: Gophers @ Illinois

Post by full force five »

I've been patient with little Richard but I'm done. After this horrid recruiting class and the years of below average team move on. YUCK. Illinois was win-less in big ten. I get this was on the road but you should blow them out.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:51 pm
ForCaleb wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:08 pm Line is a pickem.

I put a hefty bet on the gophers on the road. Finna trust them tonight.

Leggo
I feel for ya. When you typed this, I damn near went and bet. Couldn't do it though. I never thought this team was going to be any good this year. They sucked me in to believing for one game.

They are who I thought they were. Amir Coffey has to be one of the most disappointing Gophers of all time.

Seriously, how in the Christ did you dummies miss this gem!!!! :lol:

I'm not even trying to be funny - I legitimately think this fraud may not even know who Amir Coffey is. Someone may want to tell this moron that usually leading scorers in the Big 10 aren't "one of the most disappointing players of all time". Fucking hilarious.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

So let's see, between the Rodents and the Pups, they lost by what...70+points last game?

STATE OF HOCKEY!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Fred Hoiberg on speed dial for Coyle? Or Eric Mussleman. I don't know what would have been more disappointing, getting drilled by 30 or losing a close one to Illinois. Now the people on the interwebs are claiming the Illini are not as bad as their record indicates. No idea, I haven't watched them. They come to the barn soon so I guess we'll see.

That looks like a game that could cost Pitino his job, not now but at the end of the year if/when they don't make the tournament.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Style

Post by Style »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:44 am Fred Hoiberg on speed dial for Coyle? Or Eric Mussleman. I don't know what would have been more disappointing, getting drilled by 30 or losing a close one to Illinois. Now the people on the interwebs are claiming the Illini are not as bad as their record indicates. No idea, I haven't watched them. They come to the barn soon so I guess we'll see.

That looks like a game that could cost Pitino his job, not now but at the end of the year if/when they don't make the tournament.
I'm not sure I've ever been on such a rollercoaster ride with a coach as I am with Pitino. I'm constantly conflicted between him being the right guy, and wanting him to be fired. It's honestly amusing for me.

I'm still on the keep Pitino bandwagon, yet my own history shows I may be off the wagon by the end of this message. If he is to be replaced, my first call would be to Ben Jacobson at UNI. I thought I read on the interwebs somewhere that he has a Gopher/Badger opt-out in his contract. Not sure if that's true.

1. Ben Jacobson
2. Matt Margenthaler
3. Fred Hoiberg
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

hategreenticemase wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:36 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:51 pm
ForCaleb wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:08 pm Line is a pickem.

I put a hefty bet on the gophers on the road. Finna trust them tonight.

Leggo
I feel for ya. When you typed this, I damn near went and bet. Couldn't do it though. I never thought this team was going to be any good this year. They sucked me in to believing for one game.

They are who I thought they were. Amir Coffey has to be one of the most disappointing Gophers of all time.

Seriously, how in the Christ did you dummies miss this gem!!!! :lol:

I'm not even trying to be funny - I legitimately think this fraud may not even know who Amir Coffey is. Someone may want to tell this moron that usually leading scorers in the Big 10 aren't "one of the most disappointing players of all time". Fucking hilarious.
Next time you take one of your little trips to KC, bring me back some ribs. :thumbsup:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Style wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:22 am
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:44 am Fred Hoiberg on speed dial for Coyle? Or Eric Mussleman. I don't know what would have been more disappointing, getting drilled by 30 or losing a close one to Illinois. Now the people on the interwebs are claiming the Illini are not as bad as their record indicates. No idea, I haven't watched them. They come to the barn soon so I guess we'll see.

I'm not sure I've ever been on such a rollercoaster ride with a coach as I am with Pitino. I'm constantly conflicted between him being the right guy, and wanting him to be fired. It's honestly amusing for me.

I'm still on the keep Pitino bandwagon, yet my own history shows I may be off the wagon by the end of this message. If he is to be replaced, my first call would be to Ben Jacobson at UNI. I thought I read on the interwebs somewhere that he has a Gopher/Badger opt-out in his contract. Not sure if that's true.

1. Ben Jacobson
2. Matt Margenthaler
3. Fred Hoiberg
I watched most of the first half, bits and pieces of the second half -- the lack of hustle from the players was insane. Once again no offensive flow, I don't know what's going on with Murphy at times. Coffey is great in transition but not great taking someone off the ball. I just don't know what they're doing offensively a lot of the time unless they're pushing the ball constantly. Defensively it was atrocious. The Illinois big with the hard name to pronounce... he was given all day to post up and then make his move. Curry doesn't appear to have any lift right now so he couldn't block anything. Oturu/Murphy try to block everything so they get into foul trouble.

I'm sure Illinois won't shoot like that the next time they play but holy hell that was embarrassing.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

I would be happy with either. Why woukd they come here though? I thought Hoiberg was offered UCLA. No way he turns that down for MN.

Just get Richard out of here and keep Ryan Saunders name off the list and I'm fine.

Some at GopherHole say they have heard Coyle won't fire Richard no matter what this year. Might take a bunch of ekpty seats at the barn to pull the trigger.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:23 pm

1. Ben Jacobson
2. Matt Margenthaler
3. Fred Hoiberg
I watched most of the first half, bits and pieces of the second half -- the lack of hustle from the players was insane. Once again no offensive flow, I don't know what's going on with Murphy at times. Coffey is great in transition but not great taking someone off the ball. I just don't know what they're doing offensively a lot of the time unless they're pushing the ball constantly. Defensively it was atrocious. The Illinois big with the hard name to pronounce... he was given all day to post up and then make his move. Curry doesn't appear to have any lift right now so he couldn't block anything. Oturu/Murphy try to block everything so they get into foul trouble.

I'm sure Illinois won't shoot like that the next time they play but holy hell that was embarrassing.
You just figuring out "You don't know what they're doing unless pushing the ball" This has been my complaint since Richard got here. Team has no identity year after year on offense. Not sure what to say about defense either.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:24 pm

I would be happy with either. Why woukd they come here though? I thought Hoiberg was offered UCLA. No way he turns that down for MN.

Just get Richard out of here and keep Ryan Saunders name off the list and I'm fine.

Some at GopherHole say they have heard Coyle won't fire Richard no matter what this year. Might take a bunch of ekpty seats at the barn to pull the trigger.
I don't care what people say on Gopherhole -- there's no way anyone can make a case he should keep his job next year if they miss the tournament. Unless he lands Matthew Hurt and couple kids commit from the 2020 class, you have to make a change. I supported Tubby while he was here, six years, three tournament appearances and one tourney win. Pitino year six, one tournament appearance, zero wins. If he can't make the tournament, you have to make a change.

I think Hoiberg ideally wants to stay in the NBA $$$$$ so he'll wait til the end of the year. He's not taking UCLA in the middle of the season. Would he take the Gophers job over UCLA? Probably not but he has ties to the area so if UCLA doesn't happen, who knows.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:27 pm

1. Ben Jacobson
2. Matt Margenthaler
3. Fred Hoiberg

You just figuring out "You don't know what they're doing unless pushing the ball" This has been my complaint since Richard got here. Team has no identity year after year on offense. Not sure what to say about defense either.
Just figuring it out? lol. I watch this team more than you, I just don't come on here to complain about the lack of offensive flow when they win. I said against Wisconsin they were lucky WI missed so many shots. I'm about wins and losses at the end. I thought Thibs would have the job to the end of the year and potentially keep his job if they made the playoffs again.

Zimmer -- fired next year if they don't make the playoffs
Thibs -- no playoffs, Taylor would fire him. Taylor made the change already
Pitino -- year six, I'm on record for saying they need to make the tournament. I think Richard knows this, he has high expectations this year but the conference is a lot deeper than most realized before the season.
Fleck -- said he needed minimum three full seasons and into year four before you could fire him. People wanted him out this year!
full force five

Post by full force five »

Pitino needs to make the NCAA's or he is gone. They have a brutal stretch of games coming up, last nights game was must win. I think missing NCAA's plus a horrible 2019 class will probably spell his doom. Jacobson is my first choice and then Hoiberg. Hoiberg would be a great get I think.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:40 pm Pitino needs to make the NCAA's or he is gone. They have a brutal stretch of games coming up, last nights game was must win. I think missing NCAA's plus a horrible 2019 class will probably spell his doom. Jacobson is my first choice and then Hoiberg. Hoiberg would be a great get I think.
Musselman is my first choice.

Also -- don't sleep on Tre Williams. The people actually watching his games are saying great things.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:32 pm

Just figuring it out? lol. I watch this team more than you, I just don't come on here to complain about the lack of offensive flow when they win. I said against Wisconsin they were lucky WI missed so many shots. I'm about wins and losses at the end. I thought Thibs would have the job to the end of the year and potentially keep his job if they made the playoffs again.

Pitino -- year six, I'm on record for saying they need to make the tournament. I think Richard knows this, he has high expectations this year but the conference is a lot deeper than most realized before the season.
Fleck -- said he needed minimum three full seasons and into year four before you could fire him. People wanted him out this year!
For someone who watches them so much, I can't believe you ever thought this was a tourney team.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Losses like last night are what cause studs like Jones, Suggs, Hurt, etc...to want to go elsewhere.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:21 pm

For someone who watches them so much, I can't believe you ever thought this was a tourney team.
They were 13-3! They have beaten much better teams than Illinois. Again, the season isn't over yet... they stole one at Wisconsin, they can steal another game. I continue to say though they need to make the tournament for Richard to coach next year.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:26 pm

They were 13-3! They have beaten much better teams than Illinois. Again, the season isn't over yet... they stole one at Wisconsin, they can steal another game. I continue to say though they need to make the tournament for Richard to coach next year.
We definitely agree on that.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

I’m embarrassed by the loss too. But I have more patience than most of you. Revolving door for the coach doesn’t work. It just kills recruiting.

We’ve had some good wins this year and Oturu and now IW are improving. Jelly needs more minutes now as that’s the only time we look like a real team. We need a real PG for 28-30 min to get better.
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

INSIJS wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:00 pm I’m embarrassed by the loss too. But I have more patience than most of you. Revolving door for the coach doesn’t work. It just kills recruiting.

We’ve had some good wins this year and Oturu and now IW are improving. Jelly needs more minutes now as that’s the only time we look like a real team. We need a real PG for 28-30 min to get better.
6 year's is enough patience. He's had one good year with his own players and one decent year with Tubby's.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:21 pm
INSIJS wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:00 pm I’m embarrassed by the loss too. But I have more patience than most of you. Revolving door for the coach doesn’t work. It just kills recruiting.

6 year's is enough patience. He's had one good year with his own players and one decent year with Tubby's.
If they miss the tourney, he better have Matthew Hurt locked up and a kid or two in the 2020 class. I don't expect the season to go belly up now, it would if they lose to Penn St at home though.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

They haven't made the tournament yet and I still think they need to win at least one more game but.... your thoughts?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:22 pm

They haven't made the tournament yet and I still think they need to win at least one more game but.... your thoughts?
Glad they are going to make it. I think they are probably in.

This shows me more how terrible college hoops is this year though. This team hasn't been very good this year. I think you can honestly say it's a let down compared to what you thought. They are going to make it in though.

Having Gophers and Badgers in the tournament makes it a good time.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:27 pm

This shows me more how terrible college hoops is this year though. This team hasn't been very good this year. I think you can honestly say it's a let down compared to what you thought. They are going to make it in though.

I think the big ten has been pretty damn good this year. Other conferences like the pac 12, not so much.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:14 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:27 pm

I think the big ten has been pretty damn good this year. Other conferences like the pac 12, not so much.
I'm just saying all around. The 10 is a deep conference but I don't think that Purdue team is anything special.

I don't think any of the B10 teams are this year. The conference is very deep and competitive though.

I will say I didn't think anyone was that good last year and Michigan made it to the finals. :shrug:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master