Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gophers @ Badgers

A place to discuss Gopher Spots
ForCaleb

Re: Gophers @ Badgers

Post by ForCaleb »

Hard for a team like Wisconsin to win only shooting 22% from 3pt and 41% from the line. Gophers didn't shoot particularly well either, but damn, nice road win.

I'm guessing they'll be ranked when the polls come out Monday.

Next game is home against Maryland on Tues, 08 Jan.
Mizuno Man
***Official Gibby Award Winner - February 2019***

Post by Mizuno Man »

What happened to Jelly? Getting ready to transfer?
Asknot to WNU
"Is there a place where we can talk about evolving and dissipating covid hot spots or does anything covid related have to go through your blockade of Covid re-education?"
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

ForCaleb wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:12 am Hard for a team like Wisconsin to win only shooting 22% from 3pt and 41% from the line. Gophers didn't shoot particularly well either, but damn, nice road win.

I'm guessing they'll be ranked when the polls come out Monday.

Next game is home against Maryland on Tues, 08 Jan.
Certainly a win that most here didn't expect. NOW let's see what Mr. Pitino can do AT HOME vs Maryland. Would be a big bummer if we follow up the Sconny win by poopin our pants at The Barn.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
full force five

Post by full force five »

They are saying Jelly's game doesn't fit against a team like Wisco. Not sure. Stull hit some huge 3's, so maybe little Richard was right. It was an ugly game, but they won. The fouls called were insane, I think the officials are staring to dislike Davidson's game, the flopping and antics. Any win on the road in the big-10 is big, this is even bigger.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

jffl_commish wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:06 pm Fuck that cheese! Fuck that cheese! Fuck that cheese!
GROSS!
Ketchup can be nuancy
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

feekdogg wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:58 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:36 pm Still concerned with the lack of PG's on this team. Whats up with IW?
Pitino said Stull's style of play was better suited for this game.
I'm not buying it.
Oturo was the only "kid" who got minutes. I'm guessing Omersa, Washington and others will get run at home, but not much on the road. I like the decision.
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Ask Not wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:53 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:36 pm Still concerned with the lack of PG's on this team. Whats up with IW?
I'm not buying it.
Oturo was the only "kid" who got minutes. I'm guessing Omersa, Washington and others will get run at home, but not much on the road. I like the decision.
Kalscheur played, didn't get a ton of looks. Pitino road McBrayer/Coffey hard, rotated Kalscheur and Stull a bit, played Michael Hurt quite a bit more than one might expect because his game definitely fits the Wisconsin mold more than an up and down pace.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:25 am They are saying Jelly's game doesn't fit against a team like Wisco. Not sure. Stull hit some huge 3's, so maybe little Richard was right. It was an ugly game, but they won. The fouls called were insane, I think the officials are staring to dislike Davidson's game, the flopping and antics. Any win on the road in the big-10 is big, this is even bigger.
Too many "Davidson's" in here. It's Brad DAVISON. lol
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Mizuno Man wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:57 am What happened to Jelly? Getting ready to transfer?
No, he just came off a couple good non conference games. I was surprised he didn't even log a minute but even Stockman barely played. Weird substitution night. I would assume we'll see him next game, they need more flow offensively and without him in there, the ball doesn't seem to move well unless there are double teams in the post (which don't happen if Murphy is out).
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

McBrayer was huge last night defensively. Coffey's length bothers smaller players too. Defensively this team can hang if they aren't in foul trouble. Curry definitely seems like a wider version of his old self but maybe it just seems bigger compared to Oturu.

Hack-a-Happ worked wonderfully. Huge win for the Gophers.. 3 of the next 4 at home. Illinois is the road game.
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:55 am
Nancy wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:53 am

I'm not buying it.
Kalscheur played, didn't get a ton of looks. Pitino road McBrayer/Coffey hard, rotated Kalscheur and Stull a bit, played Michael Hurt quite a bit more than one might expect because his game definitely fits the Wisconsin mold more than an up and down pace.
Forgot about Kalscheur - the kid looks like a player. He was very good early in the season. The team would be different with the return of a confident Kalscheur.
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ask Not wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:15 am
HeHateMe wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:55 am
Nancy wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:53 am

Forgot about Kalscheur - the kid looks like a player. He was very good early in the season. The team would be different with the return of a confident Kalscheur.
The team would be quite different with a capable point guard who can consistently break down a defense. That and Murphy doesn't look comfortable with a back to the basket post up game... Curry/Oturu do more so but they're not as dominant in the post as Murphy can be. Either way, the offense was still frustrating to watch last night, if not for a bad shooting night by the Badgers, the Gophers would have fallen.
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:17 am
The team would be quite different with a capable point guard who can consistently break down a defense. That and Murphy doesn't look comfortable with a back to the basket post up game... Curry/Oturu do more so but they're not as dominant in the post as Murphy can be. Either way, the offense was still frustrating to watch last night, if not for a bad shooting night by the Badgers, the Gophers would have fallen.
Correct - the Badgers' shooting was the difference.
Two tall bigs is one too many for Murph. Pitino needs to have a spot on the floor for Oturo and the off guard when Murphy puts a foot in the lane. Pitino has never run a real offense, other than the annoying weaving up high. The Badgers lost a Gopher multiple times under the basket on the weak side. Imagine what could happen with an occasional pick on that side of the floor.
Ketchup can be nuancy
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Impressive win. The D in first half was outstanding. I thought their patience on offense in first half was better than I have seen from them in a long time. Then of course the requisite play stupid came in second half. When teams decide to play hard defense against us we just look silly. Like Ask not said, it's that asinine weave 20 feet from basketball. Drives me crazy.

If only this team had a good pg. Anyway, fun game to watch. Big win!
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

No Washington was appreciated....I certainly hope it speeds up his decision to transfer.

I actually thought the Gophs were well coached. Wisc is obviously, and knowingly, tough at Kohl's. They missed shots in the first half, but they were also alot of shots the gophs were OK giving them. Badgers understood that too and pounded the post, but it was a slow climb back and not sustainable for them vs. a pretty disciplined Gophs team.

Curry back is quite a lift and is a nice big off bench fit.

McBrayer is an easy guy to root for...in my opinion.

Nice stretch of games coming up...nice to have a gophs team worth paying attention too again.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Stork311 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:51 pm No Washington was appreciated....I certainly hope it speeds up his decision to transfer.
I can't tell who here is a casual fan or not so forgive me but I don't like this mentality. If you follow the team closely, he's had some good games where he distributes the ball really well + it lets Coffey play off the wing which is much more natural for him. Washington has the ability to break down a defense off the dribble, they need some of that. It's not consistent and his shot selection is generally poor but there is 100% a need for him this year.

After this year, they are adding Marcus Carr and Peyton Willis. Those two alone can probably handle the PG duties next year but I'm still surprised Washington didn't play last night given he's played under control lately.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Thought the post game celebration was WAY over the top....good grief boys, you just won your 2nd Big Ten game of the season and it's early January.....simmer down!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hornets wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:28 pm Thought the post game celebration was WAY over the top....good grief boys, you just won your 2nd Big Ten game of the season and it's early January.....simmer down!
c'mon gus. don't be such a weiner.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:24 pm
Hornets wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:28 pm Thought the post game celebration was WAY over the top....good grief boys, you just won your 2nd Big Ten game of the season and it's early January.....simmer down!
c'mon gus. don't be such a weiner.
We get it, it was a big win, but you have to admit they acted like they just won the NCAA tourney. Act like that and a next game let down is sure to follow....hope I'm wrong.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

This is the type of win that earns points come tourney selection time should they find themselves in the hunt but only on the bubble. But as someone noted the allure will wear off if they play like shit against Maryland at home.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Will we get ranked after this win?
Hoping not anytime we get into the top 25 we fall off tge map.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:34 pm Impressive win. The D in first half was outstanding. I thought their patience on offense in first half was better than I have seen from them in a long time. Then of course the requisite play stupid came in second half. When teams decide to play hard defense against us we just look silly. Like Nancy said, it's that asinine weave 20 feet from basketball. Drives me crazy.

If only this team had a good pg. Anyway, fun game to watch. Big win!
They have a good PG. Unfortunately, he can't play because the NCAA doesn't play by a standard set of rules. I guarantee that if he had transferred to UNC or Duke, he'd be playing this year.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

mglviks wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:41 am Will we get ranked after this win?
Hoping not anytime we get into the top 25 we fall off tge map.
Yeah, at this point I don't care about rankings. I don't think the Gophers are truly a top 25 team anyways so they might pop in there and then they'll drop a game or two and people will say "they got ranked and then it got to their head"
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:18 pm
Stork311 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:51 pm No Washington was appreciated....I certainly hope it speeds up his decision to transfer.
I can't tell who here is a casual fan or not so forgive me but I don't like this mentality. If you follow the team closely, he's had some good games where he distributes the ball really well + it lets Coffey play off the wing which is much more natural for him. Washington has the ability to break down a defense off the dribble, they need some of that. It's not consistent and his shot selection is generally poor but there is 100% a need for him this year.

After this year, they are adding Marcus Carr and Peyton Willis. Those two alone can probably handle the PG duties next year but I'm still surprised Washington didn't play last night given he's played under control lately.
I am a bit more than a casual fan. Washington is not a Big Ten point guard. He is his highlight reel, not a distributer...or one you can count on to do so regularly. While I agree Coffey is better off the ball, the fact they have even experimented with him at point, and gone so far to continue it shows me Washington is fighting being a true point, or is simply not capable of it. He would be much better being allowed to do whatever he wanted at a smaller D1 school, ball in hands and running/shooting/passing without care....
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Stork311 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:12 am

I am a bit more than a casual fan. Washington is not a Big Ten point guard. He is his highlight reel, not a distributer...or one you can count on to do so regularly. While I agree Coffey is better off the ball, the fact they have even experimented with him at point, and gone so far to continue it shows me Washington is fighting being a true point, or is simply not capable of it. He would be much better being allowed to do whatever he wanted at a smaller D1 school, ball in hands and running/shooting/passing without care....
I can see the big ten argument but you lose me at smaller D1 school. He's absolutely a high major player, he has the raw talent. And he is a distributor... he's showed it.
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:50 am
Stork311 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:12 am

I can see the big ten argument but you lose me at smaller D1 school. He's absolutely a high major player, he has the raw talent. And he is a distributor... he's showed it.
It appears to me he has done it by force, not by desire. He is more comfortable playing "me" than "we". It is not terrible, many really really talented and successful PG's have this mentality. They are better suited for other places than the Big Ten. You are also assuming I think a smaller D1 school is a bad thing. I don't think that...there are talented schools outside the major 5 conferences....with legit, big time talent...and places where a "me" first point like him will be given leash, and likely be successful.