Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

PJ Fleck is Legit

A place to discuss Gopher Spots
beetlebum71

PJ Fleck is Legit

Post by beetlebum71 »

Don't @ me.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: PJ Fleck is Legit

Post by HeHateMe »

He can recruit, really well.

He's the next Brewster.. both 7-6 in year two... now Fleck will go 6-7 next year, right!?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:28 pm He can recruit, really well.

He's the next Brewster.. both 7-6 in year two... now Fleck will go 6-7 next year, right!?
This team had multiple players improve more over the course of a single season than any player Brewster coached here improved over their entire career. That's what the difference will be.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Can you talk about Nebraska, Marlyland and Illinois a little?
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

JPM wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:56 pm Can you talk about Nebraska, Marlyland and Illinois a little?
Look how much they improved after those games.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

I need to see a lot more and I most certainly could do with a lot less of the moronic crap such as "we ended the season as champions". I get some or most of it is contrived do to the nature of dumbass kids now and recruiting but he still is just so sickening with some of that drivel.

Firing Smith was huge - doesn't absolve him of a horrible hire tho. The team improving definitely is something to hang out hats on. What we may have OL wise MASSIVELY exciting.

I'm not sold yet but I'm optimistic and hopeful.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Until Fleck finds a quarterback, they will never be better than an average big ten team.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

It looks like they only lose 4 starters next year, unless Tyler Johnson declares.
The QB's should be better next year now that each have 1/2 season of starting under their belts. Neither are great athlete's however. That's a drawback in this offense.
Ketchup can be nuancy
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Next year is prove it time. Schedule is as soft as it probably can be.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

feekdogg wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:50 pm Next year is prove it time. Schedule is as soft as it probably can be.
How good is that incoming freshman QB? Could he be ahead of either QB as a freshman or is he a lock to RS?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:15 pm
feekdogg wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:50 pm Next year is prove it time. Schedule is as soft as it probably can be.
How good is that incoming freshman QB? Could he be ahead of either QB as a freshman or is he a lock to RS?
They won't hold him back if he's obviously the best guy. He's a big kid, played at the highest class of Texas high school football, so he's been tested.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

At least next year we won't have to listen to the "we're America's youngest team" crap game after game after game. We got it the first time PJ, now put your big boy coachin pants on and get us to a legitimate bowl game...I dare you!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
RALPH MALPH

Post by RALPH MALPH »

can they go 8-8?
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

beetlebum71 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:30 pm
JPM wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:56 pm Can you talk about Nebraska, Marlyland and Illinois a little?
The Illinois game was the best thing that could happen to Fleck. He was forced to get rid of Smith and completely changed the trajectory of the season. I'm not sure what that means for next year, but it was encouraging non the less. Fleck comes across as a cheap motivational speaker that I have to sit through at company sales trips. So far he's been almost identical to Brewster.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Small Hands wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:47 pm
beetlebum71 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:30 pm
The Illinois game was the best thing that could happen to Fleck. He was forced to get rid of Smith and completely changed the trajectory of the season. I'm not sure what that means for next year, but it was encouraging non the less. Fleck comes across as a cheap motivational speaker that I have to sit through at company sales trips. So far he's been almost identical to Brewster.
Brewster had never been a head coach.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Jack Hoff

Post by Jack Hoff »

How bout that Wisconsin game fraud boy?
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

How about that beat down of Purdue too?

PJ is genuine and most people like genuine. His “genuine” is different so it’s taking a little while for some but he’s fine with that. I like what he’s doing. It doesn’t happen overnight and he’s making good progress. I hope they get really good the next few years and are perennial contenders. Why not? How cool would it be if he stayed at the U for 40 years and had great success?

You ever see how after each play the Gopher player hands the ball to the ref? They are learning respect. Parents will want their sons to play for him. Smart players will understand that he will help them be better men too. Good players want to play with other good players and have fun. Gophers football looks fun to me.
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
j2j

Post by j2j »

I'm fully in Fleck's camp until he doesn't deserve it anymore. When you're running a historically bad program you need to hype it up to get people to believe, to get recruits to come here. Without the dudes it's tough to accomplish anything. Without positivity it's tough to get people to buy in.

Next year should be a good year. 10 wins? Their 2 toughest games are AT Iowa and AT Northwestern, both late in the season. Legit chance at starting 9-0.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
milquetoast

Post by milquetoast »

j2j wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:21 am I'm fully in Fleck's camp until he doesn't deserve it anymore. When you're running a historically bad program you need to hype it up to get people to believe, to get recruits to come here. Without the dudes it's tough to accomplish anything. Without positivity it's tough to get people to buy in.

Next year should be a good year. 10 wins? Their 2 toughest games are AT Iowa and AT Northwestern, both late in the season. Legit chance at starting 9-0.
6-3 is my guess
When fact is fiction and TV reality
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:21 am I'm fully in Fleck's camp until he doesn't deserve it anymore. When you're running a historically bad program you need to hype it up to get people to believe, to get recruits to come here. Without the dudes it's tough to accomplish anything. Without positivity it's tough to get people to buy in.

It never goes like that, ever, you know that. :lol: Before they won a few games towards the end of the year, I said the next time a record matters to me is 2020 season. With the 7-6 finish and weaker schedule as people point out, it'd be a disappointment now to not win at least 8. Now we'll see how they do in the injury department and hope there aren't other random off the field things that pop up.

This team should be competing for the top of the big ten west in 2020, that should be the goal.
full force five

Post by full force five »

Aug. 29: vs. South Dakota State
Sept. 7: at Fresno State
Sept. 14: vs. Georgia Southern
Sept. 28: at Purdue
Oct. 5: vs. Illinois
Oct. 12: vs. Nebraska
Oct. 19: at Rutgers
Oct. 26: vs. Maryland
Nov. 9: vs. Penn State
Nov. 16: at Iowa
Nov. 23: at Northwestern
Nov. 30: vs. Wisconsin

I'm not sure about 10-2, but 9-3 maybe. Fresno States stud defenders Mike Bell and Jeff Allison declared for the NFL draft, should be a win. The Nebraska game should be tough, McSorley is a senior for Penn State. Iowa and NW will be tough, and Wisconsin will be pissed after we curb-stomped them.
j2j

Post by j2j »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:24 am

It never goes like that, ever, you know that. :lol: Before they won a few games towards the end of the year, I said the next time a record matters to me is 2020 season. With the 7-6 finish and weaker schedule as people point out, it'd be a disappointment now to not win at least 8. Now we'll see how they do in the injury department and hope there aren't other random off the field things that pop up.

This team should be competing for the top of the big ten west in 2020, that should be the goal.
Quit being so nevadig.

Not saying they will go 9-0, but the schedule sets up that it's realistically possible. Of course there's always the Gopher factor... :(
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:38 am 2019
Aug. 29: vs. South Dakota State
Sept. 7: at Fresno State
Sept. 14: vs. Georgia Southern
Sept. 28: at Purdue
Oct. 5: vs. Illinois
Oct. 12: vs. Nebraska
Oct. 19: at Rutgers
Oct. 26: vs. Maryland
Nov. 9: vs. Penn State
Nov. 16: at Iowa
Nov. 23: at Northwestern
Nov. 30: vs. Wisconsin

I'm not sure about 10-2, but 9-3 maybe. Fresno States stud defenders Mike Bell and Jeff Allison declared for the NFL draft, should be a win. The Nebraska game should be tough, McSorley is a senior for Penn State. Iowa and NW will be tough, and Wisconsin will be pissed after we curb-stomped them.
8-4, win the first eight, lose the next four.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Touchdown, Jackrabbits!
full force five

Post by full force five »

No OSU, Mich. or Mich State, it's the easiest schedule they could have. I think 8-4 is the floor with L's against, Nebraska, Penn State, Iowa and NW, maybe Wisconsin that's 7-5. They will curb stop the Jackrabbits. Our O-line is going to push the jackrabbits all they way back to South Dakota.
D_B_U

Post by D_B_U »

The Big Ten west should be fairly wide open next year. I am a Husker fan and cant really stand Fleck but he seems to have the guys buying in. He strikes me as a guy that will take him a few years but if he can hit on a few recruits things could get interesting.

I still think once Fleck has any sort of success he will book for a bigger job.

Still think the Gophers are at least 1 year maybe two from competing for the West and with conference realignment the way it is, there is a good chance the B1G looks very different in 2-3 years.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Not sure why people are already penciling in a home loss vs. Nebraska. Yeah the game this year was a debacle, but the Gophers have improved immensely since, return most key players and get at least one other from injury depending upon departures. (Winfield, Smith, others?).

I understand the, "We've been here before let's wait and see" approach to keeping expectations realistic and so I'm not predicting an outlandish W-L result, but some of the pessimism seems is as misguided as the some of the optimism.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

I only see 4 loser proof games on the schedule. 2 of the 3 NC games, Illinois and Rutgers at home. They'll win more than that -- I'll say 8 reg season games, but who knows which one's they'll be?