Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Will they keep the Big Ten Champion out of the playoffs?

A place to discuss Gopher Spots
bubu dubu.

Will they keep the Big Ten Champion out of the playoffs?

Post by bubu dubu. »

Lets say tOSU, Bama, Clemson, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and UCF all win out.

Who do you keep out of the playoffs? Obvious one is UCF, but who else?

This is why I firmly believe there needs to be 6 teams in the playoffs. 4 does not leave anything undisputed.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Will they keep the Big Ten Champion out of the playoffs?

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:02 pm Lets say tOSU, Bama, Clemson, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and UCF all win out.

This is why I firmly believe there needs to be 6 teams in the playoffs. 4 does not leave anything undisputed.
6 teams would be ok but no more. Let's not water this thing down. I haven't paid attention that much other than the some of the Big 10 teams.

With thag said, we really don't need 6 teams unless you believe UCF shoukd get a shot. OSU should be out imo.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:09 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:02 pm Lets say tOSU, Bama, Clemson, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and UCF all win out.

6 teams would be ok but no more. Let's not water this thing down. I haven't paid attention that much other than the some of the Big 10 teams.

With thag said, we really don't need 6 teams unless you believe UCF shoukd get a shot. OSU should be out imo.
mid majors will never get a chance with how things are constructed right now, which just isnt right. Might as well make a separate division for them to play in. Also agree that 6 should be the limit, though I wouldnt be too upset if it went to 8. 4 just isnt enough to leave no doubt about who the champions really are.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Same refrain I sing every year. Asinine we have this pretend playoffs. Should be 8 teams with 5 berths and 3 at large. There will never be a season that the best team isn't in the playoffs in that format. And that is the fn point - that ALL the very best teams are there.

As for the pretend format they have now, I hope neither Oklahoma (the big12 is a farce and any team who plays 4 straight games giving up 40 or more every game has no business in it) or Oh St is in it. Oh state has as much right to be in the playoffs as sgt rubeboobretard does in a football discussion.

Just doesn't matter this year as everyone is playing for second place anyway. That said, if Ga loses a close game I may put them in ahead of either of those two.

As for UCF I have zero sympathy. You don't like it, fn play someone then. Entirely on them.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:46 pm Same refrain I sing every year. Asinine we have this pretend playoffs. Should be 8 teams with 5 berths and 3 at large. There will never be a season that the best team isn't in the playoffs in that format. And that is the fn point - that ALL the very best teams are there.

As for the pretend format they have now, I hope neither Oklahoma (the big12 is a farce and any team who plays 4 straight games giving up 40 or more every game has no business in it) or Oh St is in it. Oh state has as much right to be in the playoffs as sgt rubeboobretard does in a football discussion.

Just doesn't matter this year as everyone is playing for second place anyway. That said, if Ga loses a close game I may put them in ahead of either of those two.

As for UCF I have zero sympathy. You don't like it, fn play someone then. Entirely on them.
This cat just dismissed half the teams but he wants 8. :lol: 8-)
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:44 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:46 pm Same refrain I sing every year. Asinine we have this pretend playoffs. Should be 8 teams with 5 berths and 3 at large. There will never be a season that the best team isn't in the playoffs in that format. And that is the fn point - that ALL the very best teams are there.

This cat just dismissed half the teams but he wants 8. :lol: 8-)
Nice try, moron.

No, this cat just wants the normal playoffs every other collegiate sport has. There is no reason, ZERO, for there to only be 4. I may not like the teams remaining that are vying to get in, but there shouldnt be the impending endless debate about Ou or OSU. It shouldnt have to be either or. There should NEVER be a season where the best team can possibly be left out like happened the first year when TCU was left out. Just no reason for it.

Some years there are 3 really good teams. Some years 2 really good teams. Some years there 5 really good teams. Every year is different. I want to capture all the top teams every year. 8 with my plan does so, and 6 with two byes is at least better than the pretend one we have now.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Georgia should not be in with 2 losses imo (@LSU, ALA):

Even if OSU destroys NW I don't think they'll make the playoffs:

ALABAMA
CLEMSON
ND
4a- If GEORGIA beats ALA
4b- If OKLAHOMA beats TEXAS
4c- If OSU beats NW
4d- If UCF beats MEM
hategreenticemase

ForCaleb wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:05 am

ALABAMA
CLEMSON
ND
4a- If GEORGIA beats ALA
4c- If OSU beats NW
4d- If UCF beats MEM
I didn't know LSU lost, that hurts Ga. Either way, they likely don't get in with two losses over ou or OSU, I get it - my point was, I think they are very likely one of 4 best teams. Again, further reason why the arbitrary pretend 4 team playoff is a joke.

I would take oh state over oklahoma. 40 or 50 points allowed in 4 straight. Plus, who have they beat? The big 12 is a joke is my point.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:00 am

ALABAMA
CLEMSON
ND
4a- If GEORGIA beats ALA
4c- If OSU beats NW
4d- If UCF beats MEM
I didn't know LSU lost, that hurts Ga. Either way, they likely don't get in with two losses over ou or OSU, I get it - my point was, I think they are very likely one of 4 best teams. Again, further reason why the arbitrary pretend 4 team playoff is a joke.

I would take oh state over oklahoma. 40 or 50 points allowed in 4 straight. Plus, who have they beat? The big 12 is a joke is my point.
My bias gets in the way with OSU, I absolutely cannot stand that program, their fans and Urban Meyer.

I agree, the Big 12 is a joke. Oklahoma reminds me of Chip Kelley's Oregon team and the whole f'ing conference is playing that style which is infuriating.

I'm hoping Georgia beats Alabama so Oklahoma and OSU doesn't make it. :lol:

I don't like the 4 team playoff either.
hategreenticemase

ForCaleb wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:08 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:00 am

ALABAMA
CLEMSON
ND
4a- If GEORGIA beats ALA
4c- If OSU beats NW
4d- If UCF beats MEM

My bias gets in the way with OSU, I absolutely cannot stand that program, their fans and Urban Meyer.

I agree, the Big 12 is a joke. Oklahoma reminds me of Chip Kelley's Oregon team and the whole f'ing conference is playing that style which is infuriating.

I'm hoping Georgia beats Alabama so Oklahoma and OSU doesn't make it. :lol:

I don't like the 4 team playoff either.
Funny, I agree with pretty much all of that. I dont hate OSU to same extent - while I dont respect some of the shit Meyer has done, I do respect him as an unreal good coach. But, I just dont feel they are one of the best 4 teams. So, like you, I wouldnt mind Ga winning at all. I am an admitted die hard Notre Dame fan, but Alabama is my 3rd team since I was a little kid - loved Bear Bryant, so from that standpoint I wouldnt like it, but I do believe that is the best 4 teams.

I just despise the fact we have this pretend bs and worse yet, I despise the why. Meaning, there is no reason why. Its asinine. If there is a year where every conference is great AND there are two other super SEC teams - I want them all with a chip and a chair. And the years where its only a couple really great teams - wtf is wrong with a lesser team making a little run like we get in basketball all the time? Its called drama!

But my biggest issue is - I believe its absurd to ever potentially have a great team not in the playoffs. While this system is of course much better than the joke BCS where that scenario happened routinely, I find it preposterous we ever allow it all (and it has, including first damn year).
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

ALABAMA
CLEMSON
ND
4a- If GEORGIA beats ALA
4c- If OSU beats NW
4d- If UCF beats MEM
Wasnt there a similar thing going on with them a few years ago. They seemed to be one of the 2 or 3 teams on the outside, and somehow they snuck in.
hategreenticemase

How about this scenario. Oklahoma and OSU both DESTROY their opponent in the conf title game.

Ga plays their best game of the year and shocks Bama 35-24. Combo of one team playing for their life and other in the classic trap game.

There will be endless debate and babble of which of those teams gets in. Nearly every objective and knowledgeable fan in country believes Alabama is definitely the best team this year and my guess is most will still think that even after the loss.

Ultimately I believe Bama still gets in, but how fucking preposterous would it be if they didn't? Again, it's the fact it would even be possible that infuriates me. Go with 8 like every other college sport.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:39 pm How about this scenario. Oklahoma and OSU both DESTROY their opponent in the conf title game.

Ga plays their best game of the year and shocks Bama 35-24. Combo of one team playing for their life and other in the classic trap game.

There will be endless debate and babble of which of those teams gets in. Nearly every objective and knowledgeable fan in country believes Alabama is definitely the best team this year and my guess is most will still think that even after the loss.

Ultimately I believe Bama still gets in, but how fucking preposterous would it be if they didn't? Again, it's the fact it would even be possible that infuriates me. Go with 8 like every other college sport.
Even if Alabama loses bad they’re still in, imo.

Clemson
ND
Georgia
Alabama
hategreenticemase

ForCaleb wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:10 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:39 pm How about this scenario. Oklahoma and OSU both DESTROY their opponent in the conf title game.

Clemson
ND
Georgia
Alabama
I do also. I also think a case can be made that IF it's a last min fg type loss for GA, that I would still put GA in ahead of OSU and OU. But my bigger point is, why the F should we have to choose?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

ForCaleb wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:10 pm

Clemson
ND
Georgia
Alabama
Exactly. 4 best teams right here and this is what it will be. Pretty easy.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Got this sneaky suspicion they are going to punish Notre Dame for not being in a P5 conference. All teams in question, with the playoffs on the line, made a case for themselves today...ND did not. Get in a damn conference already, ND.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:11 am Got this sneaky suspicion they are going to punish Notre Dame for not being in a P5 conference. All teams in question, with the playoffs on the line, made a case for themselves today...ND did not. Get in a damn conference already, ND.
Not a snowballs chance in hell...ND will get smoked by Clemson (ND is not one of 4 best teams) but the flack that committee would get leaving them out would be beyond massive
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sid Hartman wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:50 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:11 am Got this sneaky suspicion they are going to punish Notre Dame for not being in a P5 conference. All teams in question, with the playoffs on the line, made a case for themselves today...ND did not. Get in a damn conference already, ND.
Not a snowballs chance in hell...ND will get smoked by Clemson (ND is not one of 4 best teams) but the flack that committee would get leaving them out would be beyond massive
the 4 best teams is what the committee is supposed to determine, not the 4 that deserve it the most. Very flawed system.

Though I suppose Notre Dame is too big of a name to keep out while they are in the conversation.
hategreenticemase

Ummm, what? Are you out of your mind? Get real. :lol:
hategreenticemase

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:03 am
the 4 best teams is what the committee is supposed to determine, not the 4 that deserve it the most. Very flawed system.

Though I suppose Notre Dame is too big of a name to keep out while they are in the conversation.
This is even dumber than predicting ND won't get in, trying to say they aren't one of the best 4 teams. Again, get real. There is zero question they are one of the best 4 teams.

You are correct in that it's flawed. Flawed because there is no fucking reason to have the arbitrary and pretend playoffs with only 4 teams. Personally, I think OSU should be ahead of OU - OU has one notable win. But my larger point is, why the F do we have to choose? Why wouldn't you want a suddenly hot OSU AND an elite offense in OU.

Much bigger than that, however, is this. While GA won't get in, and it's hard to sympathize for them with two losses - there is no doubt in my mind they are one of the 4 best teams. Played toughest schedule in country and did something no one else came close to doing, took Tide to the wire. Again, my point is this - I think it's reasonable that 6 teams have a strong case to be made to be in and this asinine having to choose only 4 irritates the F out of me.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

It’s all part of the journey to a 8 team playoff.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
hategreenticemase

Bob Wiley wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:22 am It’s all part of the journey to a 8 team playoff.
Hopefully. It's better than the joke the bcs was. When you really stop and consider how every other sport operates and how every other college sport operates, it's preposterous it took 100 years to get a damn playoff in first place and they still are half assing it. Silliness.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:16 am

This is even dumber than predicting ND won't get in, trying to say they aren't one of the best 4 teams. Again, get real. There is zero question they are one of the best 4 teams.

You are correct in that it's flawed. Flawed because there is no fucking reason to have the arbitrary and pretend playoffs with only 4 teams. Personally, I think OSU should be ahead of OU - OU has one notable win. But my larger point is, why the F do we have to choose? Why wouldn't you want a suddenly hot OSU AND an elite offense in OU.

Much bigger than that, however, is this. While GA won't get in, and it's hard to sympathize for them with two losses - there is no doubt in my mind they are one of the 4 best teams. Played toughest schedule in country and did something no one else came close to doing, took Tide to the wire. Again, my point is this - I think it's reasonable that 6 teams have a strong case to be made to be in and this asinine having to choose only 4 irritates the F out of me.
They are not one of 4 best teams...Vegas who is usually pretty good already said they’d be a dog to Bama, Clemson, OU, Ohio State and Georgia...Clemson will take them to the woodshed book it
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

The B10 was awful this year and didn't deserve 1 of the 4 playoff spots, however 25 wins in a row from UCF and still no playoff game. They may have gotten that one wrong!
hategreenticemase

bombers3shooter wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:48 am The B10 was awful this year and didn't deserve 1 of the 4 playoff spots, however 25 wins in a row from UCF and still no playoff game. They may have gotten that one wrong!
:lol:
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:22 am
bombers3shooter wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:48 am The B10 was awful this year and didn't deserve 1 of the 4 playoff spots, however 25 wins in a row from UCF and still no playoff game. They may have gotten that one wrong!
The common theme on twitter and many of us in the "Industry" tonight is....

There doesn't need to be 8 teams. I suppose if you want to add "Fluff" I like to get down to the brass tacks. There were not even 4 teams that belonged this year.

Alabama vs Clemson should be a dandy folks.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:08 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:22 am
The common theme on twitter and many of us in the "Industry" tonight is....

Oh for God sakes will you just fucking go away already? As if one rube buys 1% of this daily drivel you try to paint about yourself. "Many of us in the industry". Never seen a more narcissistic and delusional dumbass since Train boy. At least he doesn't pretend to be "in the industry". :lol:
hategreenticemase

Sid Hartman wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:23 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:16 am

They are not one of 4 best teams...Vegas who is usually pretty good already said they’d be a dog to Bama, Clemson, OU, Ohio State and Georgia...Clemson will take them to the woodshed book it
Mr Hartman (and others) I will take my medicine. You were correct my Irish were no match for Clemson. I knew we likely had little chance but I admit, they were more superior than I was prepared for.

This is one of those years where it's two dominant teams and then rest are varying degrees of good. Georgia very likely is the 3rd best and maybe only a cut below those two. The Notre Dame, OSU etc the next class of teams. Oklahoma and their pathetic D shouldn't have been in a 4 team playoff anyway.

Bottom line, just get the damn 8 team playoff like every other college sport. It has zero relevance that this year was only two great teams. ZERO. Thats this year and each year is different. Bottom line is the very likely 3rd best team in country didn't even make the damn thing because of the arbitrary and silly format used. Needless. Settle the fucker on the field. Who wouldn't have wanted to see GA vs Clemson in a semi????!!!!
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

Notre Dame wouldn't have beaten either team in the Fiesta Bowl either. 0-8 in their major bowls in the last 25 years, being outscored 304-138 in those games. Join a conference or gtfo! The most overrated program ever
milquetoast

Post by milquetoast »

bombers3shooter wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:21 pm Notre Dame wouldn't have beaten either team in the Fiesta Bowl either. 0-8 in their major bowls in the last 25 years, being outscored 304-138 in those games. Join a conference or gtfo! The most overrated program ever
This - ND gets a lot of undeserved respect. They were not even close to a top 4 team, weren't even top 8. The reason they get in - people like Hate pop a Woody over ND & follow them. It's all about $$ - not the best teams.
When fact is fiction and TV reality