Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

**Official Rodents @ Bucky** GDT!! 11/24/18

A place to discuss Gopher Spots
hategreenticemase

Re: **Official Rodents @ Bucky** GDT!! 11/24/18

Post by hategreenticemase »

I laugh at the morons like Rubeboob who mock the importance of OL play. Other than the DC change, what else is the biggest difference between first half of season vs second half? OL play dramatically improving has been very impactful, including to our defense.

This excites me going forward. We have to be that WI/Iowa recipe of good OL team that controls the ball and plays good defense.
Style

Post by Style »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:13 am
Style wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:30 am A great win that arguably turns this season from a disappointment to a success. The new DC in a short period of time proved to be leaps and bounds better than Smith. My initial thought on the game was that Taylor would rush for 200+ yards off the edge. Nice schematic clean up by Smith to neutralize (to some extent) Taylor and the Badgers running game. Doing that while losing Cashman is even more impressive.

Seth Green has been an unsung hero on this team all year. His consistent successful wildcat plays have played a huge role in this season. I’ve been waiting for the “wait for it moment” where he fumbles, throws a pick, or makes a silly read, but it just never came all season. It’s awesome to know he’s only a sophomore. A huge weapon going forward.

The offense as a whole seems to be in really good shape going forward. Just two seniors in the lineup. Next year should be another step forward. Hopefully the schedule isn’t too daunting.

Nice way to finish. Now off to the bowl game!
I like the call out to Seth Green. He has been a really impactful (in small doses) piece to the puzzle. I like how they use him. Only thing I would like to see is him under center some. We MUST use him on a sneak on plays needing one foot or less. Its such a no brainer. Wouldnt mind him in some traditional option plays as well. Lastly, you could do a modified sneak from it also - gets snap, lets gap develop and dives for the yard they need.
Agreed on all points. Like you, I’d like to see the playbook expanded a bit for Green next year. His versatility is a major weapon.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Style

Post by Style »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:15 am I laugh at the morons like Rubeboob who mock the importance of OL play. Other than the DC change, what else is the biggest difference between first half of season vs second half? OL play dramatically improving has been very impactful, including to our defense.

This excites me going forward. We have to be that WI/Iowa recipe of good OL team that controls the ball and plays good defense.
I was typing to anyone willing to read earlier this season how silly it was to burn Faalele’s redshirt. Well, after this win, and his obvious positive impact on the OL, the offense, and by default, the team as a whole, the only thing silly was my stance earlier this season. He’s been great. Being very wrong here feels very nice today with the axe.

Hopefully Dunlap can make a similar impact next season. Could we see Olson slide to center and Oseland at LT?

LT: Oseland
LG: Dunlap
C: Olson
RG: Andries
RT: Faalele

Everything else on offense stays the same in 2019. We add Brooks and Smith back into the mix. Added experience from everyone else. Two more QBs. Hopefully they can both redshirt next season. Depth is happening.
hategreenticemase

Style wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:59 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:15 am I laugh at the morons like Rubeboob who mock the importance of OL play. Other than the DC change, what else is the biggest difference between first half of season vs second half? OL play dramatically improving has been very impactful, including to our defense.

I was typing to anyone willing to read earlier this season how silly it was to burn Faalele’s redshirt. Well, after this win, and his obvious positive impact on the OL, the offense, and by default, the team as a whole, the only thing silly was my stance earlier this season. He’s been great. Being very wrong here feels very nice today with the axe.

Hopefully Dunlap can make a similar impact next season. Could we see Olson slide to center and Oseland at LT?

Everything else on offense stays the same in 2019. We add Brooks and Smith back into the mix. Added experience from everyone else. Two more QBs. Hopefully they can both redshirt next season. Depth is happening.
Hey, we all have takes we want to take back! I predicted SB in 2010! Nice work admitting that....

I have said this forever, and I really believe this - one of the most true axioms in sports is the importance of OL play. You dont have to be great, but you have to at least be solid. So hard to win if you arent and great qb play only covers up so much OL deficiency. Doesnt matter the level of play either, football at any level is still about blocking and tackling.

If this OL is even better next year, then we have a chance to make some noise. Be a whole lot more watchable, I know that!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Any chance that Green wants out? Haven't heard anything but I wonder if he is OK with no shot at being the starting QB which is what I assume he would prefer. Will he be satisfied with runnin the Wildcat a few times a game and lining up as WR a bit?
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:06 pm
Hornets wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:53 pm Image
Lol
It DID happen! Laugh now funny boy!! :naners:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Style

Post by Style »

I wrote this team off after the Illinois beat down. Going bowling, even to the toiletplunger.com bowl in Iraq feels like a major step forward.

The 2019 class is full I believe. Now onto 2020 for momentum. Hopefully that’s a pretty deep in-state football class.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Oseland looks like he won't ever be more than depth. I'd bank on Jason Dickson or Jack York starting opposite Faalele (who might move to LT). I also wouldn't count Schulter as out of the mix. He needs to get stronger.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Hornets wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:42 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:06 pm
Hornets wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:53 pm Image
Lol
It DID happen! Laugh now funny boy!! :naners:
That's not what I was laughing at. I don't think you get the "Angle" 8-)
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:00 pm

Oseland looks like he won't ever be more than depth. I'd bank on Jason Dickson or Jack York starting opposite Faalele (who might move to LT). I also wouldn't count Schulter as out of the mix. He needs to get stronger.
Wouldn't faalele as good as he has been, be a shoot in to go to LT? Is there a reason not to?

EDIT: Sorry, I replied to wrong post. Meant to reply to the one where you were speculating he moves to LT.

P.S. really appreciate the info you pass along. It's always good stuff.
Style

Post by Style »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:51 pm
feekdogg wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:00 pm

Wouldn't faalele as good as he has been, be a shoot in to go to LT? Is there a reason not to?

EDIT: Sorry, I replied to wrong post. Meant to reply to the one where you were speculating he moves to LT.

P.S. really appreciate the info you pass along. It's always good stuff.
My thought process was based on the effectiveness he’s had at RT. Keep that Andries/Faalele duo together for three more seasons. But yeah, LT for him could be a definite possibility.

I think Schlueter was moved to TE. A run blocking type.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

You move Faalele to LT if his pass blocking improves to protect the QB's blindside, otherwise, keep him at RT. Andries is rock solid, but remember Dunlap was even more highly touted. He could be great too. Schuelter was moved to TE, but I wouldn't count on that beyond the bowl game. I assume that was a short term fix.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:09 pm
Hey, we all have takes we want to take back! I predicted SB in 2010!
Yeah, that was a bad take. I doubt the Gophers will ever make it to the Super Bowl. :drinky:
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
hategreenticemase

Bob Wiley wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:24 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:09 pm
Hey, we all have takes we want to take back! I predicted SB in 2010!
Yeah, that was a bad take. I doubt the Gophers will ever make it to the Super Bowl. :drinky:
Haha. On a funnier note, I'm actually personally responsible for the 2003 debacle loss to Michigan. I was at the game and I called my buddy at halftime, after watching us destroy Michigan in all phases - and believe it or not, in spite of being a lifelong Gooher fan and thus knowing better, I actually uttered the words "we are going to the Rose Bowl". Can't. Make. It. Up.