Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Robb Smith fired

A place to discuss Gopher Spots
jffl_commish

Robb Smith fired

Post by jffl_commish »

He gone.

That was a badly needed move. Their defense is an absolute train wreck.
Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Re: Robb Smith fired

Post by jffl_commish »

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Nov. 4, 2018

Fleck Announces Change To Coaching Staff

University of Minnesota football coach P.J. Fleck announced today that defensive coordinator Robb Smith has been relieved of his duties.

"These decisions are always difficult, especially when they involve a close friend and colleague," said Fleck. "I want to thank Robb, Amy and their family for all the time and energy they spent helping our program grow. Robb is an elite man and will always be a dear friend of mine."

Fleck named defensive line coach Joe Rossi interim defensive coordinator, and he will lead the defense for the rest of the season. Rossi was named Gopher defensive line coach in January 2018 after working as a quality control assistant for Minnesota in 2017.

Rossi, who is from Pittsburgh, Pa., spent 2012-15 at Rutgers, which included two years as the defensive coordinator. Rossi was promoted to defensive coordinator in 2014 after serving in an interim role in 2013. He was also the defensive coordinator at Maine from 2009-11 and Thiel College from 2003-06.
Let's get Tropical
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I'm sure the new coordinator will help lol.

In case you don't watch this team, there is VERY little talent on it. Almost ZERO.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:30 am I'm sure the new coordinator will help lol.

In case you don't watch this team, there is VERY little talent on it. Almost ZERO.
:lol:

Seriously, please never leave here. The entertainment you provide is quite enjoyable.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:00 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:30 am I'm sure the new coordinator will help lol.

Seriously, please never leave here. The entertainment you provide is quite enjoyable.
I picked the Gophers to win today. Wanted to lay money but it's not good for my credentials.

Check my "Quick Hitters" piece in the GDT. :thumbsup:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:01 pm

I picked the Gophers to win today. Wanted to lay money but it's not good for my credentials.

Considering how much you post and moreso your fascinating and preposterous ego, it's literally incredible how little you know about football. "Almost ZERO talent". Fucking priceless. :lol:
Jaamz

Post by Jaamz »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:09 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Considering how much you post and moreso your fascinating and preposterous ego, it's literally incredible how little you know about football. "Almost ZERO talent". Fucking priceless. :lol:
Lol..While he's completely clueless in just about anything football related...He more than makes up for it with his weird obsession with Male genitalia..
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

It needed to be done. The biggest thing to me is that this was PJs initial pick, his guy to start the rebuild with. This was a big mistake.

Kill had his guys but they were long term guys and they were good. Too bad we couldn’t keep Claeys or Sawvel.

Hopefully Fleck has a qualified DC if it’s not Rossi. Need continuity.
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
hategreenticemase

INSIJS wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:48 am It needed to be done. The biggest thing to me is that this was PJs initial pick, his guy to start the rebuild with. This was a big mistake.

Kill had his guys but they were long term guys and they were good. Too bad we couldn’t keep Claeys or Sawvel.

Yes, his next hire is critically important.

Any insiders know if Fleck got more involved with defense this week? Did they just ultra simplify? Feek, any inside scoop?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:43 am
INSIJS wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:48 am It needed to be done. The biggest thing to me is that this was PJs initial pick, his guy to start the rebuild with. This was a big mistake.

Any insiders know if Fleck got more involved with defense this week? Did they just ultra simplify? Feek, any inside scoop?
After the firing, Fleck met with all the coaches and admitted that it was a mistake to go to an all new system on defense, especially since the bulk of experience was in the front seven of the defense. That's why you saw more aggressive playcalling, pressure from all angles and people in much better spots to make plays.
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:57 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:43 am

After the firing, Fleck met with all the coaches and admitted that it was a mistake to go to an all new system on defense, especially since the bulk of experience was in the front seven of the defense. That's why you saw more aggressive playcalling, pressure from all angles and people in much better spots to make plays.
Makes sense. Would be nice to see them play well to end season.