Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

How did we get to here?

A place to discuss Gopher Spots
hategreenticemase

How did we get to here?

Post by hategreenticemase »

Destroyed by a team that was destroyed by fucking Maryland? By most every team in league also?

Due to travelling and having to watch from DVR (and thus when gets to blowout not watching much more of it) I haven't seen as much of the games as the die hards in recent weeks. My question - how the f did we get to here? I'm baffled as to how we are so bad at this point? Especially defensively????

I honestly don't know what to think at this point.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: How did we get to here?

Post by RubeTube »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:20 am Destroyed by a team that was destroyed by fucking Maryland? By most every team in league also?

Due to travelling and having to watch from DVR (and thus when gets to blowout not watching much more of it) I haven't seen as much of the games as the die hards in recent weeks. My question - how the f did we get to here? I'm baffled as to how we are so bad at this point? Especially defensively????

First you need to ask yourself... How much better are we than Maryland? I wouldn't say any better.

You see Hate, there is a razor thin margin when it comes to the bad teams in the 10.

It's really not about the talent but more about who can "Get up" for said game.

Very low level of talent here. That breeds inconsistencies.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:20 am Destroyed by a team that was destroyed by fucking Maryland? By most every team in league also?

They have very little talent in their front 7 on defense. This might be the worst group of LBs that I've seen from the gophers. Gonna need to recruit heavily on the defensive side of the ball. They are also a poorly coached football team. Fleck needs above avg coordinators to make the system work. He does a great job of motivating his team, and recruiting, but he has zero clue how to coach. He needs to have coordinators that can call both sides of the ball effectively, so he can sprint up and down the field and spew his self help one liners. Guys a fraud.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

How many division 1 schools play football? Someone has to suck. Thats the bottom line.
THese kids have no shot and they know it. Is there anyone on the team that was a recruited by a top 25 team?
How do you get up for a game that even if you win, is pretty meaningless.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Forfeit the final three games and fire the d coordinator.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sellingguy wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:20 am How many division 1 schools play football? Someone has to suck. Thats the bottom line.
THese kids have no shot and they know it. Is there anyone on the team that was a recruited by a top 25 team?
The answer is yes but my assumption is you don't care either way.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

HeHateMe wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:11 pm
Sellingguy wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:20 am How many division 1 schools play football? Someone has to suck. Thats the bottom line.
The answer is yes but my assumption is you don't care either way.
It would be fun if they at least could compete. WHile I maybe a North Dakota hockey fan, I want the u of m to be respectable in sports.
They just are not in Basketball and football. No where close. As I mentioned, so many teams, so little chance.
But a lot also lays on the hands of the University. Who else can you blame for fucking up the one SURE thing in hockey.
5K in the seats now? Perhaps the formation of the big ten hockey conf would have been a good time for them to leave the big ten all together.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

He hired a dogshit D coordinator. Robb Smith's defenses constantly got gashed in the run game when he was at Arkansas. No clue why you would hire a guy who can't stop the run to head up a defense in the Big 10.
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:28 pm He hired a dogshit D coordinator. Robb Smith's defenses constantly got gashed in the run game when he was at Arkansas. No clue why you would hire a guy who can't stop the run to head up a defense in the Big 10.
It's really hard to believe how bad this defense is. We go from Claeys defenses to this garbage.

It's just amazing we can never ever have anything good in Gopher football.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

How did we get here? This program has been an embarrassment for more than 50 years and just NOW you're asking how did we get here?
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

And he just fired his defensive coordinator.
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:51 pm And he just fired his defensive coordinator.
Guess I'm surprised it happened already. Glad, but surprised.

What do you make of it?
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

The firing had to take place and although you naysayers think it means nothin I think this might make a huge difference. Let's finish this year strong (heck, why not win the axe back and maybe even a bowl game win, then let's get hummin from the get-go in 2019 and get this program turned around. It'll be year 3 for PJ in this program and remember what happened in year 3 at Western Michigan?

ROW THE BOAT BABY!!
Last edited by Hornets on Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:01 pm
feekdogg wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:51 pm And he just fired his defensive coordinator.

What do you make of it?
Like I said weeks ago, this was going to happen eventually. I think enough was enough, and he finally figured out that hiring his buddy was a mistake. Couldn't keep making excuses for him. I'd also guess that there was been some serious wavering among the recruits, so a change was necessary to show commits he's serious about winning (we'll see).
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

feekdogg wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:26 pm

What do you make of it?
Like I said weeks ago, this was going to happen eventually. I think enough was enough, and he finally figured out that hiring his buddy was a mistake. Couldn't keep making excuses for him. I'd also guess that there was been some serious wavering among the recruits, so a change was necessary to show commits he's serious about winning (we'll see).
It's necessary after a couple of down years (I'm sure people were expecting down years but this bad? No, probably not). Fleck will get three full seasons and into a fourth year before they can him.
hategreenticemase

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:03 am

What do you make of it?
It's necessary after a couple of down years (I'm sure people were expecting down years but this bad? No, probably not). Fleck will get three full seasons and into a fourth year before they can him.
I agree mostly, but if next season goes as this one has, I dont think he gets a 4th. I had almost no expectations and have been beaten down with 45 years of following this program like a life long alcoholic - and even I am surprised at how bad this season has been.

I am so tired of it.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

The gophers are still “elite”, right?
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:16 pm
I agree mostly, but if next season goes as this one has, I dont think he gets a 4th. I had almost no expectations and have been beaten down with 45 years of following this program like a life long alcoholic - and even I am surprised at how bad this season has been.

I am so tired of it.
I really don't see any way he doesn't get 4 full years. Coyle, speaking pure moron like those that came before him, largely ignored wins and losses and noted recruiting and ticket sales as reasons for dismissing Claeys. Recruiting is better, but not nearly enough when the results on the field are this bad. And ticket sales are down by more than 4000 fans per game. The minute Fleck is fired, Coyle will certainly go on the chopping block, provided the new president has any commitment at all to sports.
hategreenticemase

But Feek, you make my point for me. Another season like this and full out apathy will take over. Ticket sales will get him fired. It's hard to believe they will be this bad next year but it's also hard to believe they are this year. So, anything is possible.

You are right about one thing - the best thing Fleck has goin for him is that Coyle is the one who hired him. It will have to be bad for the plug to be pulled. Problem is, it's trending pretty fn bad.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

They ran into a buzzsaw on Saturday. Lovie put together the best Big 10 game plan of the year and Fleck wasn't ready for it.

You live and you learn.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:28 am They ran into a buzzsaw on Saturday. Lovie put together the best Big 10 game plan of the year and Fleck wasn't ready for it.

You live and you learn.
Lovie is 4-20 in the big ten in three years. Will Fleck be better?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:10 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:28 am They ran into a buzzsaw on Saturday. Lovie put together the best Big 10 game plan of the year and Fleck wasn't ready for it.

You live and you learn.
Lovie is 4-20 in the big ten in three years. Will Fleck be better?
Probably. I am still on Philip John's boat. He needs to be given 4 year's.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:16 pm

I am so tired of it.
General statement, I'm always surprised people seem to follow a team that bothers them/ makes them not want to care. Like I have more apathy than I've had in the last 20 years towards the Minnesota Twins not outside of actually going to games, which I enjoy. I RARELY watch them anymore.

I think Fleck will still end up fine here as long as the young players he has stay the course. If they continue to develop, how can the team not get better? If they start jumping off the boat, the program will have to make a switch of course.

I don't know what happened to the defense but holy shit was that some of the worst football I've ever seen. It looked like they were purposely letting guys get by them. Fleck needs a rebound year next year, less embarrassing losses for sure. I don't know how you can him though and expect any better results in the next few years.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Apparently there was a fair amount of partying going on Saturday night. Bateman went off on pretty much everyone the next day. It shows great leadership for the future, but really shitty leadership right now.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

feekdogg wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:39 am Apparently there was a fair amount of partying going on Saturday night. Bateman went off on pretty much everyone the next day. It shows great leadership for the future, but really shitty leadership right now.
link?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:29 am
feekdogg wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:39 am Apparently there was a fair amount of partying going on Saturday night. Bateman went off on pretty much everyone the next day. It shows great leadership for the future, but really shitty leadership right now.
link?
Nope. This isn't public knowledge.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

feekdogg wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:19 am
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:29 am
link?
Nope. This isn't public knowledge.
Ah. I didn't see anything on Gophers Illustrated ...
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

Hopefully PJ learns from his mistake. Read your friend's resume before you hire them.
milquetoast

Post by milquetoast »

SDSU
@ Fresno St
Geo So.
@ Purdue
Ill
Neb
@ Rutgers
Maryland
PSU
@ Iowa
@ NW
Wisconsin

This is the 2019 schedule. They most likely lose all but one away game (should beat Rutgers). I have a bad feeling about the SDSU game. I don't see 6 wins here, maybe 5 (SDSU, Geo So, Ill, Rutgers and maybe one of the last 5 games). PJ's boat will be at the bottom of Bde Maka Ska by the end of the 2019 season. Looks like three season & not even a sniff of a crappy bowl game.
When fact is fiction and TV reality
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

milquetoast wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:40 pm SDSU
@ Fresno St
Geo So.
@ Purdue
Ill
Neb
@ Rutgers
Maryland
PSU
@ Iowa
@ NW
Wisconsin

This is the 2019 schedule. They most likely lose all but one away game (should beat Rutgers). I have a bad feeling about the SDSU game. I don't see 6 wins here, maybe 5 (SDSU, Geo So, Ill, Rutgers and maybe one of the last 5 games). PJ's boat will be at the bottom of Bde Maka Ska by the end of the 2019 season. Looks like three season & not even a sniff of a crappy bowl game.
Win, Loss, Win, Loss, Win, Win, Win, Win, Loss, Loss, Loss..... WIN!

7-5 :drinky: