Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Goophers@Nebraska

A place to discuss Gopher Spots
feekdogg

Re: Goophers@Nebraska

Post by feekdogg »

Regarding Robb Smith, I was told following the Maryland game that he was coaching for his job this year. Barring a stunning turnaround, he won't be back.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

feekdogg wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:55 pm Regarding Robb Smith, I was told following the Maryland game that he was coaching for his job this year. Barring a stunning turnaround, he won't be back.
Definitely need an upgrade at DC. Best way they can invest in the program is to pay up for a high profile guy. Thing is, they have some talent there.

Totally agree on coaching basics. The God damn delay of game penalty was so fn amateur. Basic, easy stuff and stuff you can't afford to get beat on when you are almost always getting beat in the talent category.
Style

Post by Style »

hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:41 am
feekdogg wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:55 pm Regarding Robb Smith, I was told following the Maryland game that he was coaching for his job this year. Barring a stunning turnaround, he won't be back.
Definitely need an upgrade at DC. Best way they can invest in the program is to pay up for a high profile guy. Thing is, they have some talent there.

Totally agree on coaching basics. The God damn delay of game penalty was so fn amateur. Basic, easy stuff and stuff you can't afford to get beat on when you are almost always getting beat in the talent category.
Agree with both of you.

Some of his decisions are just bizarre. The fake punt, go deep play against Iowa seemed reactionary to Iowa’s successful fake FG. It was then easy for Fleck after the game to say ‘Gee, sometimes the game comes down to a few plays, their fake worked, ours didn’t.’ The difference was their play was well designed and ours was a Hail Mary.

I keep giving Fleck the benefit of the doubt right now because I believe what he’s doing behind the scenes is making the program better. Eventually though, like has been mentioned already, if he can’t coach, he can’t coach. To date, there hasn’t been a game off the top of my head where I remember thinking we had a strategic advantage against our opponents because we had Fleck.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
hategreenticemase

Style wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:04 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:41 am

Agree with both of you.

Some of his decisions are just bizarre. The fake punt, go deep play against Iowa seemed reactionary to Iowa’s successful fake FG. It was then easy for Fleck after the game to say ‘Gee, sometimes the game comes down to a few plays, their fake worked, ours didn’t.’ The difference was their play was well designed and ours was a Hail Mary.

I keep giving Fleck the benefit of the doubt right now because I believe what he’s doing behind the scenes is making the program better. Eventually though, like has been mentioned already, if he can’t coach, he can’t coach. To date, there hasn’t been a game off the top of my head where I remember thinking we had a strategic advantage against our opponents because we had Fleck.
:lol:

Bolded underlined made me laugh out loud. Forgot about that play. Well played, my friend!
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

feekdogg wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:41 pm Recruiting is better, but if he doesn't figure out some of the basics of being a head coach, it won't matter. You can't take a delay of game when you're about to kick a field goal. You need to know if you want to kick it right away. Also, if you have the wind at your back and you're in a 3rd and long situation, you're probably better off not letting the quarter run out so your QB has to throw against the wind instead of with it.
He might need better coordinators? Either way, this program needs some time under him. I'm giving him through the 2020 season for sure. If they're looking like this in a couple years, he has to go.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:03 pm
feekdogg wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:41 pm Recruiting is better, but if he doesn't figure out some of the basics of being a head coach, it won't matter. You can't take a delay of game when you're about to kick a field goal. You need to know if you want to kick it right away. Also, if you have the wind at your back and you're in a 3rd and long situation, you're probably better off not letting the quarter run out so your QB has to throw against the wind instead of with it.
He might need better coordinators? Either way, this program needs some time under him. I'm giving him through the 2020 season for sure. If they're looking like this in a couple years, he has to go.
Aside from him leaving for another job (highly unlikely), no matter what happens on the field, he won't be going anywhere before the end of 2020. Coyle can't fire him. If Coyle has to admit Fleck was a giant mistake, his head goes right on the chopping block. All fans can do at this point is try and be patient.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:29 pm
Aside from him leaving for another job (highly unlikely), no matter what happens on the field, he won't be going anywhere before the end of 2020. Coyle can't fire him. If Coyle has to admit Fleck was a giant mistake, his head goes right on the chopping block. All fans can do at this point is try and be patient.
Should be patient... what else do they do? Les Miles is still unemployed two years later.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

:lol: Be patient? The Gophers have sucked my entire life. Aside from one season from Mason, they've been mediocre at best. Fleck will be given every opportunity to succeed. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a very high football IQ. He's a rah rah guy. Works great for small schools, but it will be an epic failure in the power 5 conferences. Unless, you hire top notch coordinators. Fleck is like what, 2-11 in big 10 play? This team will not go anywhere under him. Sorry. Sink the boat.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:50 am
:lol: Be patient? The Gophers have sucked my entire life. Aside from one season from Mason, they've been mediocre at best. Fleck will be given every opportunity to succeed. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a very high football IQ. He's a rah rah guy. Works great for small schools, but it will be an epic failure in the power 5 conferences. Unless, you hire top notch coordinators. Fleck is like what, 2-11 in big 10 play? This team will not go anywhere under him. Sorry. Sink the boat.
The team was set for much less success after Claeys took over. What was Claeys answer at QB following Leidner? You heard it from his mouth, Seth Green. Jerry Kill had the program back to mediocre, not an embarrassment. Gotta give Fleck time! If you can't, just eliminate the program! Who else can come in and turn it around within a couple years?
Style

Post by Style »

At this current rate, I’d say Kill’s recruiting weaknesses were less significant than Fleck’s coaching weaknesses. There’s still obvious time for Fleck, but I think the timer has started.

I’ve always said Fleck at HC with Kill & staff as coordinators would be the perfect pairing here. That’s not gonna happen so our goal has to be to find the other good XO coordinators out there.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Style wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:17 pm At this current rate, I’d say Kill’s recruiting weaknesses were less significant than Fleck’s coaching weaknesses. There’s still obvious time for Fleck, but I think the timer has started.

I’ve always said Fleck at HC with Kill & staff as coordinators would be the perfect pairing here. That’s not gonna happen so our goal has to be to find the other good XO coordinators out there.
I actually love that idea. Wish it worked out that way, but now we are stuck with a coach that has no clue how to coach. Tim Brewster 2.0. This will not end well.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Small Hands wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:53 am
Style wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:17 pm At this current rate, I’d say Kill’s recruiting weaknesses were less significant than Fleck’s coaching weaknesses. There’s still obvious time for Fleck, but I think the timer has started.

I actually love that idea. Wish it worked out that way, but now we are stuck with a coach that has no clue how to coach. Tim Brewster 2.0. This will not end well.
I bet it will end better than Brewster.

MN under mason:

3-9
5-6
8-4
6-6
4-7

Brew:
1-11
7-6
6-7
1-6

Kill:
3-8
6-7
8-5
8-5
4-3

So how does Fleck not get at least into year 4?
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:51 pm
Small Hands wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:53 am

I bet it will end better than Brewster.

MN under mason:

3-9
5-6
8-4
6-6
4-7

Brew:
1-11
7-6
6-7
1-6

Kill:
3-8
6-7
8-5
8-5
4-3

So how does Fleck not get at least into year 4?
I've said he'll get every opportunity. Im not even suggesting that he doesn't get his 4 years. I'm just saying I've seen this movie before a couple times with this program. It doesn't end well. Only chance he has is to hire some above avg coordinators to handle everything on Gameday. He's not an X's and o's coach. He's a motivational speaker.
hategreenticemase

First paragraph is probably accurate. This is based on what we have seen to date. There is no question that game plan and halftime adjustments is a MAJOR difference. Kill and Claeys teams were prepared and had a good plan.

That said, basic in game strategy and clock MGMT Kill sucked, and Claeys was horrible. But so is Fleck. Can Fleck get better? I don't know, but I'm more concerned at the preparation and game planning. Depth is a REAL issue and we need more talent, but I do not think Fleck getting much of the talent we do have. That has me very concerned.