Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Goophers@Nebraska

A place to discuss Gopher Spots
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Goophers@Nebraska

Post by RubeTube »

Battle of the bad. Young hyped coaches. Someone's 0 has to go boy's!

Nebraska will win this game.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Re: Goophers@Nebraska

Post by Sellingguy »

the boys in white seem to banned from one side of the field. over 100 yards on 3 carries for the N back?
Jack Hoff

Post by Jack Hoff »

Row the sinking boat :lol:
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

Jack Hoff wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:39 pm Row the sinking boat :lol:
I would say the boat is in dry dock!
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

Gophers recover a fumble down 21-0. After having great field position all game they need a TD.
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

This is ugly.
D_H

Post by D_H »

PJ is such a clown
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Is this Gophers team the worst team in the Big Ten? Or is it still Rutgers?
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Ski-U-Yuck
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

Nice TD before the half. Annexstad needs to learn to look off receivers. Too much telegraphing as well as throwing up too many 50/50 balls.

I like him though. Already more confident in him as a passer than any QB since AWeber.

Would’ve been nice if Coughlin was able to strip Martinez on that sack. Martinez is way too comfortable in there.

Need a score and a stop to make this interesting. You never know? :homer:
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

I like the change of QB for the 2nd half.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

Right back in it. TD in a 1:11.

Annexstad is hurt. They didn’t “change” QBs.
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

22 unanswered points for the Gophers. Cornhuskers fans are hanging their heads and can taste defeat being snatched from the jaws of victory. C’mon baby! Still 7:22 left in the 3rd Quarter.
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

I don't understand why they went with the white helmets today? Going against a team with white helmets you would think we would go with the maroon or gold. Even if it is a tiny bit of help for your QB to better identify his targets.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I think I like the offense with Morgan a little better. Just a different vibe with him being able to run the ball.
Let's get Tropical
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

Nice face guarding/PI in the end zone by NEB CB on 4th down.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Faceguarding? Really?
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

PJ Fraud
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

JPM wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:56 pmPJ Fraud
I don't think it's a PJ thing, it's just the Minnesota curse which has been going on since the early 60's. NO coach has been able to win since then and probably going forward. It just doesn't matter....it just doesn't matter.....it just doesn't matter. :pissed:
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

WHAT? Rodents had a 4th and 11 with 50 seconds left and down 25 points......AND PUNTED! Shameful......shameful.
Jack Hoff

Post by Jack Hoff »

JPM wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:56 pmPJ Fraud
Much like you :lol:
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Pwned
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Mitch won a lot of games.
Gordonbombay

Post by Gordonbombay »

PJ is rowing the boat right to turdville... time for him to go
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Gordonbombay wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:04 pm PJ is rowing the boat right to turdville... time for him to go
He's got until 2020 before im ready to squawk. Need to show MASSIVE improvement next year. By year 4 or 5, it's time to have something or goodbye
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Gordonbombay

Post by Gordonbombay »

Don’t get me wrong I actually don’t hate fleck... losing to an 0-6 team is inexcusable. Hopefully he can turn things around...
D_H

Post by D_H »

Gordonbombay wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:04 pm PJ is rowing the boat right to turdville... time for him to go
He's a f****** clown show. he needs to go back to a glorified junior college team.
Style

Post by Style »

Fleck’s XO coaching has left a lot to be desired. I still think he’s a good man for the job. In college sports, especially UM Football, the HC has to have charisma to be able to get outstate recruits since the MN HS football well is so dry. He’s fine in his role of HC, yet needs to make some adjustments and make them fast if he hopes to see the end of his contract here.

1. He has to find a new DC. Robb Smith is not the answer. He has very little history of success and has yet to put together a game plan that remotely resembles a major D1 program. Kill and Claeys proved it can be done here. Fleck needs to find the best XO strategy DC possible. Fleck then needs to let that man completely run the defense.

2. He needs to be more consistent across the board. Saying a player isn’t going to play unless he’s 100% is pure bullshit. Annexstad’s ankle has been jacked up all season, yet he benches him (coaches decision) and says it’s because he’s hurt. Eventually that type of wishy-washy talk is going to expose him as a fraud. He needs to stop trying to please everyone.

2a. Last year he consistently talked about Andres RS being hard but in the best interest of the program long term. Now, just a season later he’s being inconsistent with Faalele. It’s a pretty apples-apples comparison, yet here we are getting apples-oranges.

3. Player development/use of redshirts. All of his talk about “year zero” actually made some sense. It was corny, but the strategy was correct. Develop players, redshirt as many as possible, keep creating depth within the program. Again, because the MN HS talent pool is terrible, the way to build this program is to get as many 23-year-olds playing as possible. Deciding to burn a high end recruit’s RS for a moral victory against OSU was a short sighted decision. Instead of running Faalele out there against OSU, he should’ve had vision to select four winnable games to start Faalele. The four game rule is a way for programs like UM to have their cake and eat it too. Right now PJ is only eating it. Further, the redshirts have been horribly managed. Nebraska destroyed us. Fine. Shit happens. The problem here is that none of the redshirts (to my knowledge) got any PT there at the end of the game. In the final few series, that’s where guys like Spann-Ford, Dunlap, York, Boe, etc. should’ve gotten some playing time. They get some experience playing in a hostile environment while maintaining their RS. The goal should be for every FR to play in four games. We have way too many guys with no game experience despite opportunities to do so. That falls on Fleck. This strategy isn’t sustainable at UM.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Style wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:06 am Fleck’s XO coaching has left a lot to be desired. I still think he’s a good man for the job. In college sports, especially UM Football, the HC has to have charisma to be able to get outstate recruits since the MN HS football well is so dry. He’s fine in his role of HC, yet needs to make some adjustments and make them fast if he hopes to see the end of his contract here.

1. He has to find a new DC. Robb Smith is not the answer. He has very little history of success and has yet to put together a game plan that remotely resembles a major D1 program. Kill and Claeys proved it can be done here. Fleck needs to find the best XO strategy DC possible. Fleck then needs to let that man completely run the defense.

2. He needs to be more consistent across the board. Saying a player isn’t going to play unless he’s 100% is pure bullshit. Annexstad’s ankle has been jacked up all season, yet he benches him (coaches decision) and says it’s because he’s hurt. Eventually that type of wishy-washy talk is going to expose him as a fraud. He needs to stop trying to please everyone.

2a. Last year he consistently talked about Andres RS being hard but in the best interest of the program long term. Now, just a season later he’s being inconsistent with Faalele. It’s a pretty apples-apples comparison, yet here we are getting apples-oranges.

3. Player development/use of redshirts. All of his talk about “year zero” actually made some sense. It was corny, but the strategy was correct. Develop players, redshirt as many as possible, keep creating depth within the program. Again, because the MN HS talent pool is terrible, the way to build this program is to get as many 23-year-olds playing as possible. Deciding to burn a high end recruit’s RS for a moral victory against OSU was a short sighted decision. Instead of running Faalele out there against OSU, he should’ve had vision to select four winnable games to start Faalele. The four game rule is a way for programs like UM to have their cake and eat it too. Right now PJ is only eating it. Further, the redshirts have been horribly managed. Nebraska destroyed us. Fine. Shit happens. The problem here is that none of the redshirts (to my knowledge) got any PT there at the end of the game. In the final few series, that’s where guys like Spann-Ford, Dunlap, York, Boe, etc. should’ve gotten some playing time. They get some experience playing in a hostile environment while maintaining their RS. The goal should be for every FR to play in four games. We have way too many guys with no game experience despite opportunities to do so. That falls on Fleck. This strategy isn’t sustainable at UM.
Good post, lots of good stuff.

First, let me say, I honestly dont know where we are at. After literally 40 years (I am 48) of this shix, you would think I would know what a shix team looks like. I dont get how they can compete at OSU, and be destroyed by a winless team. Frankly, older I get the less I care, and thats too bad. Just tired of endless, year after year, sucking.

Secondly, I wish we had Claeys as DC. Obviously that was never a remote possibility, my point is - this team, even when middle of the pack - were fun to watch when he ran the D, because they were a damn good defense. Made it so more watchable. I havent paid as good of attention as you, but I have to believe you are correct on Smith. We need a legit, big time DC - we have some damn talent on that side of the ball moving forward.

I think the Faalele deal is more complex than you allude to - isnt part of the deal he wont be here 4 years anyway? If so, no brainer he plays. That guy is the real deal. Excited about his future.

Most of you know I am an old school, non bs spewing type guy. Therefore, Fleck is hard for me to take. That said, I do recognize recruiting and how its changed. This phony, nonsensical type crap matters to kids (unfortunately). He is good at that shix. Recruiting appears to be on uptick and thats reason for optimism.

All that said, it all comes down to same question I keep asking - can the effer coach? Thats the part I just dont know.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Recruiting is better, but if he doesn't figure out some of the basics of being a head coach, it won't matter. You can't take a delay of game when you're about to kick a field goal. You need to know if you want to kick it right away. Also, if you have the wind at your back and you're in a 3rd and long situation, you're probably better off not letting the quarter run out so your QB has to throw against the wind instead of with it.