Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2018-19 Gophers Hoops Season

Home for Gopher Basketball
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: 2018-19 Gophers Hoops Season

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:37 pm Omersa figures to have a pretty large role next year, does he not? All they have up front is him, Curry and Oturo. Right?
Yeah, they're going to need some help, in the form of a couple spring recruits IMO. Of course Matthew Hurt landing here would solve a huge void at PF but they really need some additional bodies up front. A grad transfer big who can come in and give you 15-20 mins would be nice. Stockman has been fine as a backup 5, IMO.

On Omersa, he's more raw than Rodney Williams was coming in but they figured out Rodney was really a 4 that final year and I thought he played well. Omersa is just a guy who probably gets a redshirt 10-15 years ago but because that doesn't happen much anymore, you have to throw him out there. I don't think he's playing much at all if Curry is healthy either.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:01 am
jffl_commish wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:37 pm Omersa figures to have a pretty large role next year, does he not? All they have up front is him, Curry and Oturo. Right?
Yeah, they're going to need some help, in the form of a couple spring recruits IMO. Of course Matthew Hurt landing here would solve a huge void at PF but they really need some additional bodies up front. A grad transfer big who can come in and give you 15-20 mins would be nice. Stockman has been fine as a backup 5, IMO.

On Omersa, he's more raw than Rodney Williams was coming in but they figured out Rodney was really a 4 that final year and I thought he played well. Omersa is just a guy who probably gets a redshirt 10-15 years ago but because that doesn't happen much anymore, you have to throw him out there. I don't think he's playing much at all if Curry is healthy either.
Do we actually have a shot at Hurt? Yes, the home ties and his brother on the squad is nice but it's going to be tough to beat out Kansas and the rest.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:47 am
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:01 am

Do we actually have a shot at Hurt? Yes, the home ties and his brother on the squad is nice but it's going to be tough to beat out Kansas and the rest.
I don't know... one month you hear positive things the next not so sure. At this point, I think he's ACC bound, Duke or UNC. I don't think it's Kansas or Kentucky.. and then Indiana and Memphis think they have a shot at him.... can you imagine him picking Memphis? I know the top recruit picks them but he had the AAU connection with Penny right?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Really disappointed at the Rodents effort yesterday. Things MIGHT get SLIGHTLY better when Curry comes back, but this really has the looks of a 7th-10th place team. Blah.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hornets wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:46 pm Really disappointed at the Rodents effort yesterday. Things MIGHT get SLIGHTLY better when Curry comes back, but this really has the looks of a 7th-10th place team. Blah.
7th would probably be a win.
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

Gabe needs shots; like 15+ per game. Get him open somehow.

As was said above Washington needs to play A LOT. He seems to have settled the last few games from the frantic rush into traffic and throw up a prayer. Maybe Pitino is getting through. Dish, play D, push the ball, create in the lane, make your FT and limit turnovers. The hand-off system at half court creates nothing so we need the creativity to get shots off.

The B10 is so deep this year it’s scary. Every game will be tough and we need to steal a few to stay out of the cellar.
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Gophers beat Ark St 72-56

Oturu 19 (5-8)
McBrayer 14 (6-8)
Coffey 12 (5-8)
Murphy 9 (2-10)

Stull 6 (2-3)

8/17 (47%) from 3-pt
16/24 (66%) free-throws

Didn't get a chance to watch the game, but if the Gophers can consistently get production from Oturu and McBrayer like tonight this team has something cooking. Like I mentioned in the MN/Neb thread, the Gophers cannot rely on Coffey to take over every game, so this is something to keep an eye on.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Absolutely nothing out of the bench though. Washington needs to wake up and grow up, fast.

He's the leader in the clubhouse for which player transfers. The lead is quite wide too.
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

ForCaleb wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:10 pm Gophers beat Ark St 72-56

Oturu 19 (5-8)
McBrayer 14 (6-8)
Coffey 12 (5-8)
Murphy 9 (2-10)

Stull 6 (2-3)

8/17 (47%) from 3-pt
16/24 (66%) free-throws

Didn't get a chance to watch the game, but if the Gophers can consistently get production from Oturu and McBrayer like tonight this team has something cooking. Like I mentioned in the MN/Neb thread, the Gophers cannot rely on Coffey to take over every game, so this is something to keep an eye on.
Saw the whole game, second half was super sloppy and the starters ended up playing a lot more than I (and probably Pitino) wanted to see. The bench guys never had much of a chance to get into any rhythm which is concerning against a team like this today. This is where you want to see Washington get some more run. I know I shouldn't complain too much since they have two freshmen starting but it was pretty ugly in the second half. Less transition in the second half, the entry passes to the post were weak often allowing the defense to deflect them or steal them.

Murphy didn't look too hot. I don't like when he tries to create off the dribble a lot. I wish he had some more of a post game where he could do more against a double team, instead he puts the ball on the floor a lot and it's anyone's guess as to what happens next.

Oturu rolled his ankle towards the end. They're off til Tues or Wed I think but he might not play, especially because Eric Curry is supposedly back next game. IMO in some of these games, they need to try Hurt at the 4 and see if he can help space the floor. He like Washington just never gets into the flow of the game and then get subbed out. Hurt will be a disappointment until Pitino pulls him aside and says you need to set screens and look for your shot on offense. He's a good passer, decent team defender (not a great one on one defender because he's not quick enough) but you often just wonder what he's helping with when he's on the floor.

McBrayer out next game as well due to his mom's funeral. They should start Washington.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:49 pm Absolutely nothing out of the bench though. Washington needs to wake up and grow up, fast.

He's the leader in the clubhouse for which player transfers. The lead is quite wide too.
Yeah, he's the leader because the two people likely responsible for him being here are McBrayer and Kimani Young. And next year he'll have competition at the 1 with Marcus Carr and Peyton Willis. Kaslcheur has a starting spot locked up for the next 3.5 years.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Good stuff, HHM.

Murphy's stat line looked like he wasn't insync. Sometimes he tries to do too much on offense. This team needs chemistry and confidence and it seems they're still trying to find it despite the 8-2 start.

It'll be good to get Curry back for 4 light non-conf games to get is feet wet and confidence back.

LEGGO.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

IW is dropping some dimes tonight. He's so fun to watch when he plays like this.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Don't lose to this damn team, please. Weird game to watch. Outside of Gabe, all the main guys are playing fairly well. This North Florida team just keeps answering our runs.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:31 pm Don't lose to this damn team, please. Weird game to watch. Outside of Gabe, all the main guys are playing fairly well. This North Florida team just keeps answering our runs.
Just started watchin afta the Wild win....WOW! Washington having a coming out party??
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Has Curry played?
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Hornets wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:06 pm Has Curry played?
Not cleared yet.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Hornets wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:05 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:31 pm Don't lose to this damn team, please. Weird game to watch. Outside of Gabe, all the main guys are playing fairly well. This North Florida team just keeps answering our runs.
Just started watchin afta the Wild win....WOW! Washington having a coming out party??
He looked glorious. Like he could run an NBA fast break. Problem is, it was against North Florida, so I'm not sure what to make of it. A lot of his dimes were inside to guys that were 6 inches taller than the guy guarding them. He always found them open though. Found a lot of cutters too, and also found Gabe open on the perimeter quite a bit, but Gabe couldnt hit a shot tonight. Very promising game from him, but again...North Florida, so who knows?

Something else about his game other than the dimes tonight, was that when he started getting his passing game going, he started getting aggressive with his own shot, and got to the free throw line as a result. He also took some bad shots. There's so much left untapped with IW right now. If he gets comfortable with his role primarily as a facilitator, the next layer in his evolving game is being aggressive himself with scoring, and limiting his mistakes in that facet.

I'm on board with IW. Always was, and still am, even when he sucks. I love his confidence and demeanor. Even when he is sulking, you can tell he's a competitor. He doesn't just want a leadership role, he wants to be the leader. After Murphy is gone, I expect him to grab it. Its just his personality to be that guy.
full force five

Post by full force five »

North Florida played us tough. IW was awesome tonight, what we all hoped. I don't know if he shot a 3. . . .good. Take it to the hole and drop dimes, take care of the ball, play good D, back court leader that should be his role.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:31 am North Florida played us tough. IW was awesome tonight, what we all hoped. I don't know if he shot a 3. . . .good. Take it to the hole and drop dimes, take care of the ball, play good D, back court leader that should be his role.
Scouting report on North Florida was they shoot a ton of threes... and they did. They have some good shooters but Gophers handled them inside for the most part. Game was a little closer than you'd like but you were also down McBrayer who gives you 10 a game... and Gabe couldn't buy a bucket. Normally he'd make 2 or 3 of those missed shots.

Washington was really good. It would be nice if they could get him more playing time because it moves Coffey off the ball to the wing, which is ideal.

I'd throw out starting Washington at this point, maybe the final two games before big ten and see how it goes. Kalscheur has come back to earth a bit and Coffey needs to get off the ball more and more.

Also on Washington -- no turnovers. Yeah he has some bad shots here and there but he's got a great handle and generally makes the right pass.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

They are getting worked by North Carolina A&T. Seriously. 4 wins in the Big 10, tops?
Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Were getting worked at one point anyway. Down 25-15. Pretty much dominated since.
Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Murphy and Oturo own this game. The rest of the Goophs are nonexistent.
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:27 pm They are getting worked by North Carolina A&T. Seriously. 4 wins in the Big 10, tops?
Gotta let these games play out sometimes. This is how it always starts. :lol:

4 wins? And they already have one... so you think they'll go 3-16 the rest of the way? Wow.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Pretty awesome to see Curry back yesterday. 11-2, onto Wisconsin. If the Gophers can get to 20 wins, I think they're dancing in March.
full force five

Post by full force five »

They will need Curry against Happ.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Not enough shooters on this team. How many 3 point looks did they pass up last night. You can't penetrate or even dump into a collapsing defense.

Hates: 20 wins does not get them in. That means they were .500 and couldn't win a game in the conference tourney or they were sub .500 and won one tourney game against a lower end team.
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ask Not wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:45 pm Not enough shooters on this team. How many 3 point looks did they pass up last night. You can't penetrate or even dump into a collapsing defense.

Hates: 20 wins does not get them in. That means they were .500 and couldn't win a game in the conference tourney or they were sub .500 and won one tourney game against a lower end team.
.500 in this conference would be a good goal for the Gophers. Prove me wrong at this point... I know it's just an opinion but I think that's enough. The committee will know the big ten is tough, the Gophers lost to Boston College but beat plenty of other high major teams in non conference play.

As far as the shooters, I think they have them but Kalscheur has gone cold, McBrayer chucks it a bit too much for me, Stull/Hurt can make them but I'm not sure they get enough time to matter anyways. Need Gabe to get hot again, I think he will. Curry adds a much needed big body in there.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:52 am They will need Curry against Happ.
Hack a Happ. Omersa/Hurt should be ready to foul out.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Gophers are 2-1 against ranked teams so far. Keep it up!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

If they don't have a really bad collapse... dancing.

12-2 with 17 games remaining. 8-9 gets you to 20-11. Win one in the big ten tournament, DANCING.