Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2018-19 Gophers Hoops Season

Home for Gopher Basketball
hategreenticemase

Re: 2018-19 Gophers Hoops Season

Post by hategreenticemase »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:43 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:42 pm I watched most of the game. I thought they looked good. Curry can only help. Kalscheur was impressive.
I told Damian Johnson on twitter Gabe was the best pure shooter they've had since Blake. He didn't agree with me last spring... he agrees with me now he says. :lol:
Smooth stroke. Let's hope it continues!
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

full force five wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:11 am I was most impressed with Gabe, wow can he shoot, looks like he's 22, and is a big guard. If Curry heals fast and some miracle we get Carr this team will be deep and good this year.
This. I didn't know much about Gabe coming in but he looked like a vet.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Not a program changer, but will add some good depth....

http://www.startribune.com/three-star-2 ... 500440011/
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Hornets wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:14 pm Not a program changer, but will add some good depth....

http://www.startribune.com/three-star-2 ... 500440011/
Take it to the 2019 recruits thread, Gus.

He was on a stacked EYBL (AAU) team and played decent minutes. That part kind of reminds me of Nate Mason. Mason was the sixth man on an AAU team so he got overlooked quite a bit in recruiting.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Gophers are 4-0

Looking forward to see how they play back to back against Washington tonight.

Free throw shooting was atrocious last night (23/38, 60%), and only shot 35% from the floor against Santa Clara.

Kalscheur and Oturu looked good.

Murphy broke the Gophers rebound record, snatched 17 last night.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

ForCaleb wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:48 am Gophers are 4-0

Looking forward to see how they play back to back against Washington tonight.

Free throw shooting was atrocious last night (23/38, 60%), and only shot 35% from the floor against Santa Clara.

Kalscheur and Oturu looked good.

Murphy broke the Gophers rebound record, snatched 17 last night.
Damn, Kalscheur (6'4") is 16-27 (.593) from three through four games. Comparatively, talking heads are going nuts about the range of Reddish (6'8") and Barrett (6'7") through five games and they're 17-40 (.425) and 11-34 (.324), respectively.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Gophers 5-0.

Little Richard has the kids playing well. Gabe is a dude.

Whalen has her goals beating up on cupcakes to a tune of 4-0.

Good time in Gophers basketball right now.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

They have no pg on this squad...big ten season could be ugly
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sid Hartman wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:42 pm They have no pg on this squad...big ten season could be ugly
It is extremely concerning, and even more frustrating. This team has very good talent, but no point depth has the potential to completely ruin them.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:57 pm
Sid Hartman wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:42 pm They have no pg on this squad...big ten season could be ugly
It is extremely concerning, and even more frustrating. This team has very good talent, but no point depth has the potential to completely ruin them.
Coffey while talented should be playing the 3 and Washington is a loose cannon who plays out of control...they don’t need a stud they just need an average player to run offense and they’d be in great position
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sid Hartman wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:28 am
Coffey while talented should be playing the 3 and Washington is a loose cannon who plays out of control...they don’t need a stud they just need an average player to run offense and they’d be in great position
I would start Washington over McBrayer to try something different. I was really disappointed with McBrayer in the Vancouver showcase but the other four starters are solid. Coffey is a good shooter and playmaker but better off on the wing, no question. This is the same shit as Hoffarber back in the day, the difference here is Washington is 100% better than Ahanmisi. Maverick was Konate/Diedhiou horrible on the floor. Washington has shown flashes where he can be a facilitator and hustle plenty. His shot selection isn't great but neither is McBrayer's... and what are we really doing this year besides watching Murphy/McBrayer/Coffey attack the hoop, get fouled and make 60% of their free throws. Meh.

Move McBrayer back to the sixth man, let Washington start because his ego needs it... just see how it goes. Tell him do not shoot unless you're WIDE OPEN. Next year, Marcus Carr will start over him regardless.
Last edited by HeHateMe on Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:45 am Gophers 5-0.

I got into a disagreement with Damian Johnson last year on Gabe. I said he was like Hoffarber and Damian didn't agree. He's apologized multiple times on twitter for not believing in Gabe. Gabe is a guy who you can really build some offense around. Obviously you want to see him do more with the basketball besides just a spot shooter but he's a great shooter, active on defense. Can handle fine for a two guard. They're lucky they got him... normally a kid like him goes to Wisconsin or some mid major and makes us cringe watching him destroy teams. His offer list was mostly mid majors which always surprised me given his skillset. Yeah he's probably 6'3 or 6'4 so a tad undersized but that shot!
j2j

Post by j2j »

Unfortunately I haven't watched as much as I'd like, but what would a "PG" do that's not currently being done?

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

j2j wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:45 am Gophers 5-0.

very clutch shot by the edina freshman. great to see.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:44 am
Unfortunately I haven't watched as much as I'd like, but what would a "PG" do that's not currently being done?
I think Coffey should be playing his natural position right now.... which is a wing. Also, late in the game against Washington, IMO they could have used Coffey as the 4, playing in the middle of the 2-3 zone, having Murphy then down low. I'm still not sold on Pitino as an in-game coach... I like his personality, he seems to recruit well (probably with the help of Ben Johnson previously though he did land Marcus Carr who I think will be really good). I thought he made a good defensive adjustment in the A&M game but his rotations still a little weird the first two games. I can't stand when he throws tantrums on the side either. Looks like a child who got a sucker taken away.
j2j

Post by j2j »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:49 am
I think Coffey should be playing his natural position right now.... which is a wing. Also, late in the game against Washington, IMO they could have used Coffey as the 4, playing in the middle of the 2-3 zone, having Murphy then down low. I'm still not sold on Pitino as an in-game coach... I like his personality, he seems to recruit well (probably with the help of Ben Johnson previously though he did land Marcus Carr who I think will be really good). I thought he made a good defensive adjustment in the A&M game but his rotations still a little weird the first two games. I can't stand when he throws tantrums on the side either. Looks like a child who got a sucker taken away.
Putting a playmaker in the middle of a 2-3 is smart, but none of that says what a "PG" would do that Coffey can't.

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:57 am

Putting a playmaker in the middle of a 2-3 is smart, but none of that says what a "PG" would do that Coffey can't.
I think the problem I noticed most (less in the last two games)… A&M started putting a defender on Coffey full court and that is not Amir's cup of tea, to bring up the ball with pressure and get turned multiple times. He looked exhausted when doing so and the turnover numbers reflected that. A mixture the next two games of not doing that plus getting McBrayer/Washington handling the ball more too probably helped that.

Also, I was thinking about the game winner for Gabe.. which was a travel and complete luck of a shot … Pitino has no idea how to draw up a final play. I am fairly surprised at the amount of 2-3 zone a team like Washington played (big ten is so much man to man) but that final play, why don't you throw the ball into the middle, have him turn and look for an open player.. or drive and dish to Murphy in the paint. Gophs are lucky that worked out of course.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

j2j wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:57 am

Coffee has been getting hounded by pesky guards, causing him to make a lot of mistakes and turn the ball over in bunches.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Actually get them into a offensive set, if you watch them they are toss it to Murphy and everyone stand around.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Sid Hartman wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:52 pm
Actually get them into a offensive set, if you watch them they are toss it to Murphy and everyone stand around.
That's on Pitino, though. Wolves do the same crap because of Thibs.

Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

j2j wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:57 pm

That’s because Teague is ball centric and paid by the dribble...you didn’t know he is paid to run shot clock down to nothing
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:57 pm

I think Sid is forgetting (at his old age) the last few games were against a lot of zone. I'm not sure how much you get into an offensive set against the 2-3. I do think one of the issues is you'd like the PG to be a little vocal and Coffey isn't a talker... Murphy isn't, McBrayer isn't. I think Washington would.... but it's Washington.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Listen boy's. This will be sizzling "Hot" but this is the take....

I haven't seen much of this early season because I'm not ready to make this prediction. Let's be real here, the Big 10 season is what matters. I still see this team at best a middle of the pack team. I need Richard to bring this team to the tourney before I lay off the heat. Let me tell you something though.....

This team isn't going anywhere without Washington at PG. This kid is the KEY. You heard it here first.

NY PGs are what basketball is built on.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:58 am
Sid Hartman wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:28 am

I would start Washington over McBrayer to try something different. I would really disappointed with McBrayer in the Vancouver showcase but the other four starters are solid. Coffey is a good shooter and playmaker but better off on the wing, no question. This is the same shit as Hoffarber back in the day, the difference here is Washington is 100% better than Ahanmisi. Maverick was Konate/Diedhiou horrible on the floor. Washington has shown flashes where he can be a facilitator and hustle plenty. His shot selection isn't great but neither is McBrayer's... and what are we really doing this year besides watching Murphy/McBrayer/Coffey attack the hoop, get fouled and make 60% of their free throws. Meh.

Move McBrayer back to the sixth man, let Washington start because his ego needs it... just see how it goes. Tell him do not shoot unless you're WIDE OPEN. Next year, Marcus Carr will start over him regardless.
Washington should be starting over McBrayer. I think Washington's only issue is he doesn't trust the offense or doesn't like to run the offense with the second team. Starting him eases that anxiety and you shouldn't see him jacking up wild shots. He's very good attacking the rim. The only downside is McBrayer looses all confidence and he's an emotional mental Little Person too.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:03 am Listen boy's. This will be sizzling "Hot" but this is the take....

I haven't seen much of this early season because I'm not ready to make this prediction. Let's be real here, the Big 10 season is what matters. I still see this team at best a middle of the pack team. I need Richard to bring this team to the tourney before I lay off the heat. Let me tell you something though.....

This team isn't going anywhere without Washington at PG. This kid is the KEY. You heard it here first.

"I haven't seen much of this early season because I'm not ready to make this prediction" .... makes no sense but you've been upfront in the past about being drunk/high on this board.

Your whole you heard it here first stuff is hilarious too since I just had 2-3 posts about the importance of Washington. I'm on record now -- if they win all the non conference games, maybe a slip up against BC, go .500 in conference play, which won't be easy, they should be in the tournament.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Anyone catch where the Gophers/Oklahoma St. is being played Friday? I saw US Bank Stadium and thought it was a typo at first.

They're calling it a "Final Four warmup" to get ready for the 2019 Final Four.

Other games include:
St Thomas v Wisc-Riv Falls
NDSU v Drake
South Dakota State v Northern Iowa
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

HeHateMe wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:06 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:03 am Listen boy's. This will be sizzling "Hot" but this is the take....

"I haven't seen much of this early season because I'm not ready to make this prediction" .... makes no sense but you've been upfront in the past about being drunk/high on this board.

Your whole you heard it here first stuff is hilarious too since I just had 2-3 posts about the importance of Washington. I'm on record now -- if they win all the non conference games, maybe a slip up against BC, go .500 in conference play, which won't be easy, they should be in the tournament.
:lol:

While those points are funny, I think maybe the hilarious arrogance of these incessant "hot takes" and references to some nonsense following he supposedly he has (my favorite is "his maniacs") is just a tad bit funnier. Does he really think anyone here buys this garbage? It's good stuff is what it is.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

ForCaleb wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:24 am Anyone catch where the Gophers/Oklahoma St. is being played Friday? I saw US Bank Stadium and thought it was a typo at first.

They're calling it a "Final Four warmup" to get ready for the 2019 Final Four.

Other games include:
St Thomas v Wisc-Riv Falls
NDSU v Drake
South Dakota State v Northern Iowa
I'll be there Friday night. The two games on Saturday are the Dakota/iowa teams. UNI has AJ Green, freshman top 100 guard who the Gophers wanted but his dad is an assistant I believe so he ends up there with him.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Line opens as Gophers -2.5 favorites.

Need to see fresh legs tonight if Gophers are going to win tonight. They looked gassed and flat all game Monday.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Hopefully they learned how to shoot, and make free throws, in their practice this week. They've been pretty tough to watch lately.

Washington is a bit of a spazz and has pretty bad body language/pouts when things don't go his way. But, I tend to agree that he should start at PG, Coffee goes back to SF and McBrayer is the 6th man.
Let's get Tropical