Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gophers @ Maryland

A place to discuss Gopher Spots
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Re: Gophers @ Maryland

Post by JPM »

Mitch won a lot of games.
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
Jack Hoff

Post by Jack Hoff »

JPM wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:35 pm Mitch won a lot of games.
You mean your first rounder? Bwahahaha
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Pretty cool gesture by Maryland...
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

RALPH MALPH wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:04 pm fleck=Brewster
No.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

HeHateMe wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:57 am
No.
Correct.
Brewster had a better winning percentage in conference play. And he started off 0-8.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

feekdogg wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:29 pm
No.
Correct.
Brewster had a better winning percentage in conference play. And he started off 0-8.
So how long does Fleck get then?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:38 pm
feekdogg wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:29 pm

No.
Correct.
So how long does Fleck get then?
2 years after this one. We can judge then
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Herky

Post by Herky »

feekdogg wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:36 pm Oh look, I'm going to sprint to the other end of the field while getting totally outcoached by an interim coach.
What a fucking jackass.
I've said this since we he was hired at Minnesota. He had told someone in the media when he was at Western Michigan that Iowa was his dream job but I've never been a fan of him. To much "rah rah" stuff. Then there was the affair issues when he was at Western Michigan and the supposed born again stuff. Dude just comes off like a dumbass and his recruiting tactics to over offer is dumb.

Reminds me of a younger Tim Brewser or Ron Zook. Both are dumbasses.

And I'm not even a Gopher hater. I just think Fleck is a fraud on multiple levels. Minnesota can and should do better.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Herky wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:13 am
feekdogg wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:36 pm Oh look, I'm going to sprint to the other end of the field while getting totally outcoached by an interim coach.
What a fucking jackass.
I've said this since we he was hired at Minnesota. He had told someone in the media when he was at Western Michigan that Iowa was his dream job but I've never been a fan of him. To much "rah rah" stuff. Then there was the affair issues when he was at Western Michigan and the supposed born again stuff. Dude just comes off like a dumbass and his recruiting tactics to over offer is dumb.

And I'm not even a Gopher hater. I just think Fleck is a fraud on multiple levels. Minnesota can and should do better.
How? Les Miles? Minnesota football and basketball don't deserve anything good.. historically they had success like 20-30 + years ago in hoops and 50-60+ years ago in football. I know you're an Iowa fan so I can appreciate outside perspective but I'm so tired of Gophers fans acting like they deserve something. This is what these programs are... every 5-6 years you make a change, get excited.. something happens and people want a change. I thought they were on a decent path with Kill, at least to get back where Mason had them but that shit happened.

I never heard of Fleck saying Iowa was his dream job, that surprises me. I'm still in the camp that says this guy did really well at a place like Western Michigan and some school was bound to grab him at the P5 level, had it not been Minnesota, any of those big ten teams that have made coaching changes in recent years wouldn't have surprised me. He had a better recruiting class than MN with Claeys at the end there.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

In the four years following Jerry Kill's departure, NIU went 46-9.
Since Fleck left WMU, they are 8-8. That's a giant red flag. It points to the one good season they had being an outlier.
Herky

Post by Herky »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:21 am
What a fucking jackass.

How? Les Miles? Minnesota football and basketball don't deserve anything good.. historically they had success like 20-30 + years ago in hoops and 50-60+ years ago in football. I know you're an Iowa fan so I can appreciate outside perspective but I'm so tired of Gophers fans acting like they deserve something. This is what these programs are... every 5-6 years you make a change, get excited.. something happens and people want a change. I thought they were on a decent path with Kill, at least to get back where Mason had them but that shit happened.

I never heard of Fleck saying Iowa was his dream job, that surprises me. I'm still in the camp that says this guy did really well at a place like Western Michigan and some school was bound to grab him at the P5 level, had it not been Minnesota, any of those big ten teams that have made coaching changes in recent years wouldn't have surprised me. He had a better recruiting class than MN with Claeys at the end there.

Minnesota is like Iowa and Wisconsin. They are developmental programs. They will never get the influx of 5 star kids and reply on development to win. Wisconsin is the master of this, and Iowa has made it work. Being in the Big Ten, in a metro area, they should be able to have success. We aren't talking about winning National Titles, but making bowls and having the 10 win season here and there certainly aren't out of the question.

Like you said, Minnesota has had success and they can again. I guess it depends on what level people expect it to be. 7-9 win seasons are realistic with 10-11 wins sprinkled in here and there. Mason had things in the right spot but people wanted more. As an Iowa fan I remember that with Tom Davis but you have to be careful what you wish for. That's why I still defend Ferentz for the most part. Programs can crumble under the wrong person.

One of the writers for the Gazette said Fleck told him that when Iowa played them in 2013. That was his first year there so maybe he was just blowing smoke. Wouldn't shock me if he just said it to say it. He no doubt was the hot name like Scott Frost was.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:31 am In the four years following Jerry Kill's departure, NIU went 46-9.
Since Fleck left WMU, they are 8-8. That's a giant red flag. It points to the one good season they had being an outlier.
He took half his recruiting class though at WMU to Minnesota.

Question for the "Fleck is a fraud" people --- what do you want from the program now and in the future? I'm assuming if you think he's a fraud, you want someone else in there. How long do you give a new coach then? Why wouldn't Fleck be given the same amount of time?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Herky wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:53 am

Minnesota is like Iowa and Wisconsin. They are developmental programs. They will never get the influx of 5 star kids and reply on development to win. Wisconsin is the master of this, and Iowa has made it work. Being in the Big Ten, in a metro area, they should be able to have success. We aren't talking about winning National Titles, but making bowls and having the 10 win season here and there certainly aren't out of the question.

Like you said, Minnesota has had success and they can again. I guess it depends on what level people expect it to be. 7-9 win seasons are realistic with 10-11 wins sprinkled in here and there. Mason had things in the right spot but people wanted more. As an Iowa fan I remember that with Tom Davis but you have to be careful what you wish for. That's why I still defend Ferentz for the most part. Programs can crumble under the wrong person.

One of the writers for the Gazette said Fleck told him that when Iowa played them in 2013. That was his first year there so maybe he was just blowing smoke. Wouldn't shock me if he just said it to say it. He no doubt was the hot name like Scott Frost was.
I think the Gophers should be winning 7-8 games a year on average... once every 5 years they get to 9 or 10... once every 5 years, they dip to 5-6 wins. Minnesota is clearly nowhere near Wisconsin now though … and I think Iowa is a tier below too but Iowa is much, much more stable than the Gophers. Kill looked like he had things in the right direction there to get the program back to stable but health issues derailed that.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:54 am
feekdogg wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:31 am In the four years following Jerry Kill's departure, NIU went 46-9.

Question for the "Fleck is a fraud" people --- what do you want from the program now and in the future? I'm assuming if you think he's a fraud, you want someone else in there. How long do you give a new coach then? Why wouldn't Fleck be given the same amount of time?
So half of his recruiting class was going to make an immediate impact at WMU?
Herky

Post by Herky »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:57 am
Herky wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:53 am

I think the Gophers should be winning 7-8 games a year on average... once every 5 years they get to 9 or 10... once every 5 years, they dip to 5-6 wins. Minnesota is clearly nowhere near Wisconsin now though … and I think Iowa is a tier below too but Iowa is much, much more stable than the Gophers. Kill looked like he had things in the right direction there to get the program back to stable but health issues derailed that.
Wisconsin is what I wish Iowa could be. They just get it done. Alverez still had a lot to do with that program even though he doesn't coach anymore, but they can sustain coaching changes and win. Kill was the right guy I think.

What shape are the facilities in for Minnesota? Their newer stadium looks nice and getting out of the Dome no doubt was a good move.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Facilities are fine. They just built a new athletes village (which they aren't even close to having funding for).
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:50 pm Facilities are fine. They just built a new athletes village (which they aren't even close to having funding for).
Yeah they're doing just fine in that aspect.. just opened last winter I believe.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:06 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:54 am

So half of his recruiting class was going to make an immediate impact at WMU?
You referenced the record since he left.. I have no idea who they held over, I know they lost Davis and the qb so I'm sure that alone was a huge setback. My guess is his recruiting class would have had guys playing this year if not some of them last year. Maybe I'm wrong. What about the other questions I had.. I'm assuming you're anti-Fleck... what do you want from the program right now?
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Who isn't anti Fleck?
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Doesn't matter what I want. Dipshit AD bought into this guy, so his neck is on the line too. How long the leash is will be determined by whoever the next president is.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:13 pm Doesn't matter what I want. Dipshit AD bought into this guy, so his neck is on the line too. How long the leash is will be determined by whoever the next president is.
You don't have any expectations for the team? Are you a Gophers football fan?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

JPM wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:13 pm Who isn't anti Fleck?
I am not anti-Fleck... I can't say I am pro-Fleck either though. I just think a head coach in a normal situation will get 3-4 years at least.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:25 pm
feekdogg wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:13 pm Doesn't matter what I want. Dipshit AD bought into this guy, so his neck is on the line too. How long the leash is will be determined by whoever the next president is.
I had season tickets for more than a decade before shitbag Norwood Teague decided to tack $500 more onto my ticket in a stadium that was two thirds full.

I expected them to be a .500 team, give or take, but the manner in which the were thoroughly humiliated by a team with an interim coach is more than a little alarming.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:41 pm
I had season tickets for more than a decade before shitbag Norwood Teague decided to tack $500 more onto my ticket in a stadium that was two thirds full.

I expected them to be a .500 team, give or take, but the manner in which the were thoroughly humiliated by a team with an interim coach is more than a little alarming.
The U in general doesn't seem to understand how to figure out the ticket thing... don't you want the stadium full before you raise prices and demand mandatory donations?
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:41 pm

It doesn't sound like you're rowing the boat.