Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2020 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Home for Gopher Basketball
Style

Re: 2020 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Post by Style »

Man, Suggs/Garcia would be awesome. Eventually one of these blue chippers has to stay home, right? RIGHT!?
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Style wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:41 am Man, Suggs/Garcia would be awesome. Eventually one of these blue chippers has to stay home, right? RIGHT!?
Oturu/Coffey are top 50, last top 25 kid was probably Royce White. Damn!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
full force five

Post by full force five »

I'm getting the feeling Suggs is a real possibility, especially with the idea of playing with his cousin Tre'.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:57 am I'm getting the feeling Suggs is a real possibility, especially with the idea of playing with his cousin Tre'.
The nice thing is UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas etc haven't seemed to make him a priority yet whereas Gonzaga and Minnesota are (Fleck/Pitino are both pushing for Suggs). I think there's a case to make for allowing Suggs to do both. He would probably redshirt for football but he'd be on the team with his close buddies from Minnnehaha Academy.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The D1 basketball team this weekend features:

Dawson Garcia, Ben Carlson, Kerwin Walton, Steven Crowl and Kendall Brown (2021). Insane how much talent on that team! Maybe Garcia/Carlson/Walton enjoy playing together enough to stay home with Suggs!?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

There are positive reports coming out of a meeting with Pitino (whoever else from the staff) with Dawson Garcia and his family. I'm beginning to think for the first time since Pitino took over and we've had the incredible 2014 class (Vaughn/Tyus/Macura/Travis), 2017 (Sims, Reuvers, Davison, Wright, Theo John), 2019 (Hurt, Nnaji, Wahl, Terry) he might not only land some of the guys in state but the top ones too (missed on Tre in 2018 but landed the next three guys).

The team has 10 guys signed right now for next year with one senior currently on the roster in Michael Hurt. If the selling point continues to go to Suggs, Garcia and Walton... I think those are the important three and then you're looking probably getting Dain Dainja OR Ben Carlson. They aren't going to sign Dainja, Carlson and Garcia, not happening. They are all 4's and 5's at the college level. But if they can start to get Suggs/Garcia thinking about staying home and playing together, they might for the first time have a real shot at getting an ENTIRE class/group to stay home.
Style

Post by Style »

Good to hear about the positive reports on the big guys. I remember seeing someone, maybe Ryan James, retweet Suggs when he tweeted something at Bueckers from Hopkins about putting MN on the map. I think it was more high school related than UM, but point still being the guy seems to have some MN pride.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:54 am There are positive reports coming out of a meeting with Pitino (whoever else from the staff) with Dawson Garcia and his family. I'm beginning to think for the first time since Pitino took over and we've had the incredible 2014 class (Vaughn/Tyus/Macura/Travis), 2017 (Sims, Reuvers, Davison, Wright, Theo John), 2019 (Hurt, Nnaji, Wahl, Terry) he might not only land some of the guys in state but the top ones too (missed on Tre in 2018 but landed the next three guys).

The team has 10 guys signed right now for next year with one senior currently on the roster in Michael Hurt. If the selling point continues to go to Suggs, Garcia and Walton... I think those are the important three and then you're looking probably getting Dain Dainja OR Ben Carlson. They aren't going to sign Dainja, Carlson and Garcia, not happening. They are all 4's and 5's at the college level. But if they can start to get Suggs/Garcia thinking about staying home and playing together, they might for the first time have a real shot at getting an ENTIRE class/group to stay home.
I feel like I'm reading Sid Hartman's column.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:44 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:54 am There are positive reports coming out of a meeting with Pitino (whoever else from the staff) with Dawson Garcia and his family. I'm beginning to think for the first time since Pitino took over and we've had the incredible 2014 class (Vaughn/Tyus/Macura/Travis), 2017 (Sims, Reuvers, Davison, Wright, Theo John), 2019 (Hurt, Nnaji, Wahl, Terry) he might not only land some of the guys in state but the top ones too (missed on Tre in 2018 but landed the next three guys).

You're the one reading about the Gophers on a Minnesota (for the most part) sports forum. I'm obviously a Gophers fan... just relaying info to the other Gophers fans.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:01 pm

You're the one reading about the Gophers on a Minnesota (for the most part) sports forum. I'm obviously a Gophers fan... just relaying info to the other Gophers fans.
Don't be so sensitive. It's a joke.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:27 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:01 pm

Don't be so sensitive. It's a joke.
No harm on my end.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

2020 top targets:
(local, offered)
Jalen Suggs
Dain Dainja
Ben Carlson
Kerwin Walton
Dawson Garcia

(local, not offered)
Steven Crowl
JVonne Hadley
Gabe Madsen

others:
Jahari Long
Jamal Mashburn Jr
Johnny Davis (la crosse)
Ty Berry

Latest buzz is Crowl would have a lot of interest in staying home if offered. Iowa and Colorado have offered.
full force five

I just don't see Crowl as a big-10 center. I've seen him play 3 or 4 times and come away with the same impression, more of a mid-major center. There is a chance he would develop into more but not super athletic.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:18 pm I just don't see Crowl as a big-10 center. I've seen him play 3 or 4 times and come away with the same impression, more of a mid-major center. There is a chance he would develop into more but not super athletic.
He's pretty skilled from what I've seen. He is absolutely a high major center but he does need to bulk up, no question. He's got some Luka Garza in him, maybe less physical right now. I'm sure that's what Iowa is pitching to him though.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:10 am 2020 top targets:
(local, offered)
Jalen Suggs
Dain Dainja
Ben Carlson
Kerwin Walton
Dawson Garcia

(local, not offered)
Steven Crowl
JVonne Hadley
Gabe Madsen

others:
Jahari Long
Jamal Mashburn Jr
Johnny Davis (la crosse)
Ty Berry

Latest buzz is Crowl would have a lot of interest in staying home if offered. Iowa and Colorado have offered.
The Big Ten hasn't allowed a team to have 2 Gabe's since 1970.
You should know better.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Seems like the dreams of Suggs coming here are slipping away so this makes sense:

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

bri

Post by bri »

Odds of getting some combination of Garcia, Dainja, and Carlson?
full force five

bri wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:26 pm Odds of getting some combination of Garcia, Dainja, and Carlson?
Zero. They all play a similar position, especially Carlson and Garcia.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:04 pm
bri wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:26 pm Odds of getting some combination of Garcia, Dainja, and Carlson?
Yeah, I don't think Garcia and Carlson play together in college. I need to catch D1 sometime and watch them play and see if those two play together.

Dainja continues to climb the charts, I think Dainja and Crowl are centers in college, Garcia/Carlson are 4s.

Walton/Garcia/Dainja or Walton/Garcia/Crowl would be fantastic

I think Carlson and Suggs end up elsewhere. Suggs seems to be hot and heavy with Gonzaga and Carlson has Xavier and Stanford high up there.
full force five

Agreed, I think we probably end up with some combo of Garcia/Walton/Crowl/Dainja. A class of Dainja/Garcia and Walton would insane.
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:46 pm
Yeah, I don't think Garcia and Carlson play together in college. I need to catch D1 sometime and watch them play and see if those two play together.

Dainja continues to climb the charts, I think Dainja and Crowl are centers in college, Garcia/Carlson are 4s.

I think Carlson and Suggs end up elsewhere. Suggs seems to be hot and heavy with Gonzaga and Carlson has Xavier and Stanford high up there.
I haven't followed closely, recently, but is Suggs still looking to possibly try to play football, too? Or have those stories gone by the wayside?
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

cmd24 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:25 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:46 pm

I haven't followed closely, recently, but is Suggs still looking to possibly try to play football, too? Or have those stories gone by the wayside?
The option is out there and I don't think he's closed any doors … with that said, I'd expect him just to play basketball. At one point, I thought he'd be open to Minnesota and be part of the football team as a redshirt player so he'd be on the team with his buddies but then once basketball practices got going in Octoberish, he'd flip over to basketball 100%.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Latest Ryan James nugget... Steven Crowl has interest in staying home and has gotten close with Dawson Garcia. Seems like there is mutual interest in playing in college together.
Style

Post by Style »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:59 pm Latest Ryan James nugget... Steven Crowl has interest in staying home and has gotten close with Dawson Garcia. Seems like there is mutual interest in playing in college together.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:59 pm Latest Ryan James nugget... Steven Crowl has interest in staying home and has gotten close with Dawson Garcia. Seems like there is mutual interest in playing in college together.
Are we going to offer Crowl?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:18 pm
Are we going to offer Crowl?
I hope so. It's looking like four scholarships (at minimum) available for the 2020 class. I think you have these guys locked in:

Oturu/Freeman
Omersa
Williams/Ihnen
Kalscheur
Carr

Now Curry/Willis will both be 5th year seniors next year so I think graduate transferring is something that might come into play if these guys are healthy and not playing enough minutes. But clearly the '20 class is going to require a point guard and a wing. I think adding Crowl would be fine even if you get Garcia (I think Garcia is the top target at this point given Suggs probably doesn't land here). Garcia could be a point forward, he's extremely versatile. That might alleviate any potential log jam for big guys.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »