Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2019 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Home for Gopher Basketball
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: 2019 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:08 am
HeHateMe wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:04 am
The Replacements wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:32 am Good article on Zeke Nnaji. He doesn't indicate any favorites but talks about the recruiting process. I still think Wisconsin has a good chance but it would be hard to turn down the "blue bloods" if they offer.

https://www.landof10.com/wisconsin/wisc ... dof10_Wisc
I think Wisconsin's best opportunity is Tyler Wahl... Nnaji is going to end up being a top 50 player in this class IMO.
Maybe so but I still think Nnaji is a realistic possibility. He's not a one and done player so he will take a more long term approach which makes Wisconsin a good option.
Ryan James says Nnaji is not seeing Wisconsin as a good fit now. Says Iowa has a better chance of landing Nnaji (probably some McCaffrey comfort) than Wisconsin. FWIW.... lists UCLA as a possible destination for Nnaji.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:32 am
The Replacements wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:08 am
HeHateMe wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:04 am

I think Wisconsin's best opportunity is Tyler Wahl... Nnaji is going to end up being a top 50 player in this class IMO.
Maybe so but I still think Nnaji is a realistic possibility. He's not a one and done player so he will take a more long term approach which makes Wisconsin a good option.
Ryan James says Nnaji is not seeing Wisconsin as a good fit now. Says Iowa has a better chance of landing Nnaji (probably some McCaffrey comfort) than Wisconsin. FWIW.... lists UCLA as a possible destination for Nnaji.
The last video said otherwise. I think many of the recruiting updates are click bait. My guess is he hasn't eliminated anyone yet.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

He hasn't eliminated anyone yet... just telling you what Ryan said. At this point, I'd be extremely surprised if Nnaji ends up at Wisconsin.

Wisconsin and Minnesota are going after Wahl pretty heavily.. Ryan said Minneesota's best shot at the local 4 guys next year at this point is Wahl. Hurt can go wherever, Nnaji is wide open in that sense too but likely looking at the big time programs, Tyrell Terry is supposedly a Stanford lean... and then Wahl likely goes MN or Wisconsin.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:15 pm He hasn't eliminated anyone yet... just telling you what Ryan said. At this point, I'd be extremely surprised if Nnaji ends up at Wisconsin.

Wisconsin and Minnesota are going after Wahl pretty heavily.. Ryan said Minneesota's best shot at the local 4 guys next year at this point is Wahl. Hurt can go wherever, Nnaji is wide open in that sense too but likely looking at the big time programs, Tyrell Terry is supposedly a Stanford lean... and then Wahl likely goes MN or Wisconsin.
Nnaji said he will be taking all his visits and his parents are compiling a spreadsheet with pros and cons of every school. I think he's a long way from deciding. The Iowa comment seems really odd to me. Iowa is really not a specific fit for anyone. One of the worst coached teams in the Big Ten.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:02 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:15 pm He hasn't eliminated anyone yet... just telling you what Ryan said. At this point, I'd be extremely surprised if Nnaji ends up at Wisconsin.

Nnaji said he will be taking all his visits and his parents are compiling a spreadsheet with pros and cons of every school. I think he's a long way from deciding. The Iowa comment seems really odd to me. Iowa is really not a specific fit for anyone. One of the worst coached teams in the Big Ten.
I'm just going off what Ryan James is saying... he gets his info from AAU coaches obviously. He continues to say Nnaji is wide open but he had said Wisconsin is starting to slip with some players... DJ Carton did not have them in his final five and Wisconsin was expected to be in there. I would assume the deal with Iowa might again be related to Zeke playing with Mccafferey's son... which isn't the worst strategy I've ever seen... send you uber talented son to a top AAU team in the country in D1 Minnesota and try to recruit a player or two.
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:39 am
The Replacements wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:02 pm

I'm just going off what Ryan James is saying... he gets his info from AAU coaches obviously. He continues to say Nnaji is wide open but he had said Wisconsin is starting to slip with some players... DJ Carton did not have them in his final five and Wisconsin was expected to be in there. I would assume the deal with Iowa might again be related to Zeke playing with Mccafferey's son... which isn't the worst strategy I've ever seen... send you uber talented son to a top AAU team in the country in D1 Minnesota and try to recruit a player or two.
Rumor is Carton didn't like the depth at guard at Wisconsin. Trice/Davison both sophomores and the signing of PG Strickland may have been the final straw. Based on his final group, I see him going to Michigan.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Carton is 10x the pg Strickland is. But yeah, plenty of bodies there. Lots of people nationally still unsure about Gard, I think that’s the point Ryan hears. Whether that is specified within Carton and Nnaji who knows.
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 9:03 am Carton is 10x the pg Strickland is. But yeah, plenty of bodies there. Lots of people nationally still unsure about Gard, I think that’s the point Ryan hears. Whether that is specified within Carton and Nnaji who knows.

I don't believe there's a national dialogue regarding Gard. He's proven he can coach. He's had issues recruiting but he will figure it out. After putting all his eggs in the Hauser/Herro bucket and missing out, Gard is not going to hold and wait for players to make a decision. No one doubts Carton is a better prospect than Strickland. I think the 10x the pg is a ridiculous statement. You really don't know anything other that the number of stars by the name. Wisconsin will always have some disadvantages recruiting the top 50 players. They don't make promises. They don't pay players. Finally, they expect kids to go to class. With all that said, I expect them to be back in the tournament next year.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:01 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 9:03 am Carton is 10x the pg Strickland is. But yeah, plenty of bodies there. Lots of people nationally still unsure about Gard, I think that’s the point Ryan hears. Whether that is specified within Carton and Nnaji who knows.

I don't believe there's a national dialogue regarding Gard. He's proven he can coach. He's had issues recruiting but he will figure it out. After putting all his eggs in the Hauser/Herro bucket and missing out, Gard is not going to hold and wait for players to make a decision. No one doubts Carton is a better prospect than Strickland. I think the 10x the pg is a ridiculous statement. You really don't know anything other that the number of stars by the name. Wisconsin will always have some disadvantages recruiting the top 50 players. They don't make promises. They don't pay players. Finally, they expect kids to go to class. With all that said, I expect them to be back in the tournament next year.
I know you're a homer... I really don't follow Gard and what Wisconsin does in recruiting unless it's against a similar player or they're recruiting MN kids. The bolded line though... a guy who covers recruiting like Evan Flood does talks to plenty of coaches... I'm relaying a message there.... that's all there is. A buddy of mine has dealt with Gard plenty because of Brad... thinks he's a great guy. I'll take that opinion over anything else.
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:26 am
The Replacements wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:01 pm

I know you're a homer... I really don't follow Gard and what Wisconsin does in recruiting unless it's against a similar player or they're recruiting MN kids. The bolded line though... a guy who covers recruiting like Evan Flood does talks to plenty of coaches... I'm relaying a message there.... that's all there is. A buddy of mine has dealt with Gard plenty because of Brad... thinks he's a great guy. I'll take that opinion over anything else.
I'm a fan and an alum of Wisconsin. I believe I have a pretty fair assessment of Wisconsin basketball. For as much success as Wisconsin has had, I don't believe the national media spends much time/effort covering Wisconsin. I think Wisconsin fans were questioning Gard last year, but at the end of the year they were playing well. I do follow Evan Flood and generally like his coverage. However, he does like most in the business, put stuff out that is more click bait material. I could easily label you a homer as well, but the truth is were both fans of our respective schools and we try to see the positive more than the negative.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ryan James doesn't appear to be a click bait guy, I don't follow Flood, I just know he's the Wisconsin equivalent of Ryan. Ryan always tells it like it is, refreshing IMO.

I know I am a homer in some aspects... but I think for most of these teams I follow I keep my expectations fairly reasonable. I only called you on it because you're in a sense denying some of the things I am relaying with no real knowledge or background on Ryan.
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:48 am Ryan James doesn't appear to be a click bait guy, I don't follow Flood, I just know he's the Wisconsin equivalent of Ryan. Ryan always tells it like it is, refreshing IMO.

I know I am a homer in some aspects... but I think for most of these teams I follow I keep my expectations fairly reasonable. I only called you on it because you're in a sense denying some of the things I am relaying with no real knowledge or background on Ryan.
I just found it interesting that your comments contradicted an article that was posted just a few days earlier.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:58 am
HeHateMe wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:48 am Ryan James doesn't appear to be a click bait guy, I don't follow Flood, I just know he's the Wisconsin equivalent of Ryan. Ryan always tells it like it is, refreshing IMO.

I just found it interesting that your comments contradicted an article that was posted just a few days earlier.
My comments or stuff I said someone else wrote?
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:59 am
The Replacements wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:58 am

My comments or stuff I said someone else wrote?
The comments you posted from Ryan James.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Like I said, I see Ryan as a pretty agenda-less guy.... that's one of the reasons I like him. I wanted Stull over Bandoo a lot and my assumption is he and other fans thought the same but Ryan stayed fairly objective on the whole thing, and he usually does. Anyways..... back on topic here....
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

As expected for awhile, Tyrell Terry to Stanford. They've been the heavy favorite for awhile now. Gophers have a second point guard as well as a combo guard though for next year so point guard isn't a huge need anymore.
The Replacements

New Badger recruiting strategy.

Maya Nnaji @maya_nnaji23
I thank the Most High for receiving my first scholarship offer from the University of Wisconsin Thanks Coach Tsipis and staff for a great weekend
6:16 PM - 10 Jun 2018
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:01 am New Badger recruiting strategy.

Maya Nnaji @maya_nnaji23
I thank the Most High for receiving my first scholarship offer from the University of Wisconsin Thanks Coach Tsipis and staff for a great weekend
6:16 PM - 10 Jun 2018
:lol:
Style

Post by Style »

Even though it's expected, it still sucks to see a local kid go halfway across the country to play ball. It stings too knowing that his teammate is headed to the U. Can't miss on those guys. Pitino was late with the offer and seemed to never really be considered.

The in-state recruiting approach has been terrible for Pitino and it will ultimately cost him his job if it doesn't change...fast!
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Style wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:41 pm Even though it's expected, it still sucks to see a local kid go halfway across the country to play ball. It stings too knowing that his teammate is headed to the U. Can't miss on those guys. Pitino was late with the offer and seemed to never really be considered.

The in-state recruiting approach has been terrible for Pitino and it will ultimately cost him his job if it doesn't change...fast!
To be fair... he did well with the 2018 class. I think he's going to go 0 for 4 with the top local 19 kids though so then it's onto 2020 with Dainja, Garcia and Carlson. They won't get Suggs. If he goes 0 for 4 two years in a row, he gone.
full force five

Post by full force five »

Terry wasn't coming here so no worries plus there isn't room with the transfer guards coming in. I hope that kid from Vandy is worth it!

I think we get one of the 2019 kids, probably Wahl maybe Nnaji. I don't think those guys both go to Wisconsin because they are very similar players.
The Replacements

Mark Miller@WisBBYearbook 1:14 PM - 21 Jun 2018

2019 G/F Tyler Wahl (6-7) of Lakeville North, Minn., could very well be the next verbal commitment for the University of Wisconsin men's basketball program. Solid all-around player with very good versatility.
full force five

Post by full force five »

Wahl committed last night.

Little Richard better hope for a miracle in getting Hurt and Nnaji.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

full force five wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:18 am Wahl committed last night.

Neither are coming here and Richard will be fired at the end of the coming season. Big fan of this team but the writing is on the wall. I would gladly eat crow if we are a tourney team this year.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:21 pm

Neither are coming here and Richard will be fired at the end of the coming season. Big fan of this team but the writing is on the wall. I would gladly eat crow if we are a tourney team this year.
Easily the most talented team in the Pitino era. I think they make it. My biggest concern is IW...he's the catalyst of whether the season goes well or not. I also have fear of Pitino trying to be too much of a coach. He's a terrible X's and O's guy, and poor in game coach...just be a facilitator. Put the roster together, and let them play on their own, and listen to your assistants.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:57 pm

Easily the most talented team in the Pitino era. I think they make it. My biggest concern is IW...he's the catalyst of whether the season goes well or not. I also have fear of Pitino trying to be too much of a coach. He's a terrible X's and O's guy, and poor in game coach...just be a facilitator. Put the roster together, and let them play on their own, and listen to your assistants.
IW is the least of my concerns. Flat out stud!! I worry about the bigs/wings
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:22 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:57 pm

IW is the least of my concerns. Flat out stud!! I worry about the bigs/wings
He's the catalyst because he is all of a sudden the lead man. If he plays like he did last year with the lead role...oof, its gonna hurt. I feel he is the type of player that will excel with a bigger role and longer leash though. You gotta let him be what he is. Again though, if he is like he was last year, things can get bad in a hurry.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Once the Gophers land Crandall, my worry on Washington for next year goes way down. Crandall/Stull are two highly coveted grad transfers, I'm looking forward to seeing them.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Terry = sting didn't hurt as much because the Gophers now have Marcus Carr playing next year with three years left.
Wahl = versatile player, he needs to improve his shooting and I'm not sure he would have played a lot right away given Gabe/Carr/Willis/Hurt/Coffey all projected to be there next season.

Nnaji and Hurt are guys you want badly, I don't think either will land here but I'm holding out for hope with Hurt. Hoping somehow, someway, he decides he wants to play at home with his brother for one season.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Gophers are watching Robert Jones Prior Lake teammate of Dawson) -- sounds like an offer could come soon. Jones has offers from Penn State and Xavier. Gophers need a center badly for next year's class. This guy could be one of the first commits. He's bit raw but they'll have Oturu and Curry still.