Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

MLB trade discussion.......Its on!

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Rock Me Abbrederis

Re: MLB trade discussion.......Its on!

Post by Rock Me Abbrederis »

bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:15 pm
Rock Me Abbrederis wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:06 pm P Jorge Alcala and OF Gilberto Celestino to the Twins for Pressly, the Astros No. 10 and No. 15 prospects according to MLB Pipeline...
Will they crack the Twins top 30?

I'm also curious how many players in a top 30 outside of like the top 5 guys (which no one we added today is) end up being serviceable MLB players. 2 or 3 would be my guess, but I'm shooting in the dark. What are the chances any of the 5 guys (4 who will likely be in the Twins top 30) added today make an impact some day?
Yes, Houston has a talented farm system
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

From my understanding, both of the pitchers added today are flame throwers who are described as having great arms, but who's potential greatly rely on complimentary pitches, which they havent developed yet. Even if they don't develop complimentary pitches, there is always room for heat throwers in the BP.
Rock Me Abbrederis

bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:22 pm
Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:16 pm How's Trevor May looking? Can we expect to see him up here anytime soon?
straight from his mouth when I ran into him before Spring Training, he said the plan explained to him was for him to be with the team in late May...clearly, that didnt happen. Not sure what the hold up is/was.
He hasn't been all that great....an ERA of 4.32 and a WHIP of 1.56. I will say, though, he hasn't been scored upon in his last six appearances (8.1 innings)...
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:26 pm If these two trades are any indication of the overall plan, it seems as though they are more interested in quantity than quality. Chances are that individually, most of these guys won't ever play in an MLB game, but I think they think if they get 8-10 of these types of guys at this deadline that they'll strike gold once, and maybe find another serviceable player or two in the mix that will at least give them something.
I agree with most of what you said, other than that there might be an indication of quantity over quality. Not sure what kind of quality guys they were going to pull in for the guys traded so far.

If Dozier gets moved, and the Twins don't receive a top 60ish prospect, then I think there's something to the quantity over quality aspect.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Rock Me Abbrederis wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:30 pm
Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:16 pm How's Trevor May looking? Can we expect to see him up here anytime soon?
straight from his mouth when I ran into him before Spring Training, he said the plan explained to him was for him to be with the team in late May...clearly, that didnt happen. Not sure what the hold up is/was.
He hasn't been all that great....an ERA of 4.32 and a WHIP of 1.56. I will say, though, he hasn't been scored upon in his last six appearances (8.1 innings)...
Saw they threw some starts at him this year too. Maybe that plays a factor into how he's performed. Not sure what his numbers are in starts vs relief, but I'm guessing better in relief.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

Those are better numbers then the ones I saw from him about three weeks ago, but still obviously not all that impressive. Hard to believe he won't get a look up here sometime relatively soon though with the Pressley trade and the white flag getting run up the pole though.
Rock Me Abbrederis

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:36 pm

Those are better numbers then the ones I saw from him about three weeks ago, but still obviously not all that impressive. Hard to believe he won't get a look up here sometime relatively soon though with the Pressley trade and the white flag getting run up the pole though.
It would not surprise me to see Rodney and Duke gone too. May, Moya and Addison Reed may be the ones brought up to replace them. And for the love of God, bring Alan Busenitz back up and DFA Belisle...
Ron Burgundy 4 President

bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:32 pm
Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:26 pm If these two trades are any indication of the overall plan, it seems as though they are more interested in quantity than quality. Chances are that individually, most of these guys won't ever play in an MLB game, but I think they think if they get 8-10 of these types of guys at this deadline that they'll strike gold once, and maybe find another serviceable player or two in the mix that will at least give them something.
I agree with most of what you said, other than that there might be an indication of quantity over quality. Not sure what kind of quality guys they were going to pull in for the guys traded so far.

If Dozier gets moved, and the Twins don't receive a top 60ish prospect, then I think there's something to the quantity over quality aspect.
I should have also mentioned that the Garcia trade that they made to the Yankees and got 2 similar type pitching prospects last year also kind of steered me in that direction as well. It's also possible that the Twins simply think that most of these guys are more valuable than the teams that are trading them do. In other words for example, maybe the Twins just liked AZ's 11th rated prospect as much or almost as much as their 6 or 7th rated prospect so they were willing to accept that with the other two guys thrown in the sweeten the pot as well.

Now admittedly, I am a bit more familiar with the NHL, so perhaps my knowledge of the latest trends in these types of transactions in that league is causing me to view this differently than I otherwise would.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Where is Dozier rumored to be going?

Any news?
Rock Me Abbrederis

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:49 pm Where is Dozier rumored to be going?

Any news?
Nothing yet, I don't think. Milwaukee/Boston are still in on him, although Milwaukee is trying to get Mike Moustakas. It could end up being like in 2004 when the Twins dealt Doug Mientkiewicz to Boston when the Red Sox were in town...
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Rock Me Abbrederis wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:39 pm
Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:36 pm

It would not surprise me to see Rodney and Duke gone too. May, Moya and Addison Reed may be the ones brought up to replace them. And for the love of God, bring Alan Busenitz back up and DFA Belisle...
I assumed, and even said here...I assumed they were activating Reed and DFA Belisle..

The minor rehab thing caught everyone by surprise I think.

(And Rock Me, thank you for the input in this thread....
I'm sure these won't be the only 2 moves the Twins make b4 the deadline, and your takes on prospects they get back is valuable)
Last edited by jakazz30 on Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:44 pm

I should have also mentioned that the Garcia trade that they made to the Yankees and got 2 similar type pitching prospects last year also kind of steered me in that direction as well. It's also possible that the Twins simply think that most of these guys are more valuable than the teams that are trading them do. In other words for example, maybe the Twins just liked AZ's 11th rated prospect as much or almost as much as their 6 or 7th rated prospect so they were willing to accept that with the other two guys thrown in the sweeten the pot as well.

Now admittedly, I am a bit more familiar with the NHL, so perhaps my knowledge of the latest trends in these types of transactions in that league is causing me to view this differently than I otherwise would.
I feel 6th or 7th guys are hard to get...thats what I would expect for Dozier.

starting around #10, thats where guys are just peanuts. I imagine a phone call going like this...

Twins: We want your #6 guy.
Arizona: We want Eduardo, but you arent getting that much for him
T: Alright, we like your number #11 guy
A: sure, done deal
T: Throw in #19 too
A: of course, why not. So we have a deal?
T: Throw in player X too
A: yep, no problem

Imagine the reversal of the Twins being a contender and trying to acquire a rental...no way they are giving up Gonzalves or Larnach or Rooker, but...you want Baddoo and Blackenhorn? sure no problem. Oh, you want Wells also? yep, you can have him too.

IMO no team is giving up a top of the top prospect for Pressly/Garcia or EE. There could be the argument that if you arent getting a top prospect back, you might as well keep those guys. With a market like the Twins though, the factor of having to re-sign those guys might be the issue.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:04 pm
Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:44 pm

I feel 6th or 7th guys are hard to get...thats what I would expect for Dozier.

starting around #10, thats where guys are just peanuts. I imagine a phone call going like this...

Twins: We want your #6 guy.
Arizona: We want Eduardo, but you arent getting that much for him
T: Alright, we like your number #11 guy
A: sure, done deal
T: Throw in #19 too
A: of course, why not. So we have a deal?
T: Throw in player X too
A: yep, no problem

Imagine the reversal of the Twins being a contender and trying to acquire a rental...no way they are giving up Gonzalves or Larnach or Rooker, but...you want Baddoo and Blackenhorn? sure no problem. Oh, you want Wells also? yep, you can have him too.

IMO no team is giving up a top of the top prospect for Pressly/Garcia or EE. There could be the argument that if you arent getting a top prospect back, you might as well keep those guys. With a market like the Twins though, the factor of having to re-sign those guys might be the issue.
That makes sense. I get that teams don't want to give up their top 10 prospects, even for a pretty decent upgrade for the now, even if it's relatively short term, but what I always find funny is that there isn't a team out there of the 30 whose top 10 right now will all end up being great or even serviceable MLB players, it just won't happen. A good percentage will be outright busts, and a good percentage of those that aren't will be serviceable (at best) MLB players. Years ago, maybe even a decade ago, I remember the Twins allegedly being in on Adrian Beltre, but they wanted our 2nd best pitching prospect at the time (Brian Duensing) so of course, the Twins said no way. I'll admit that's a cherry picked example, but still. I wonder how many GM's are kicking themselves years later because they didn't pull the trigger at a short term upgrade when doing so would have meant parting with that organizations version of Brian Duensing?

Again, being a bit more familiar with the NHL I can tell you that GM's are more willing to accept that there will be a decent amount of busts even in a group of very promising young prospects and the transactions they collectively make I think are pretty well reflected in their understanding of that reality and eventuality.
Last edited by Ron Burgundy 4 President on Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rock Me Abbrederis

Even with the trades, this could be an entertaining lineup to watch

jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Love this thread......
It's been great baseball discussion basically without bs.

I have a feeling that there is going to be at least 2 more moves by the Twins before the deadline..(I think they would like 3, but I'm just not sure if the market is interested)
Rock Me Abbrederis

Mike Moustakas to the Brew Crew
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Rock Me Abbrederis wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:42 pm Mike Moustakas to the Brew Crew
Huh. Shaw has been decent. Neither of those guys can play 2B or SS and there's no DH.

Is it down to Boston or LA for Dozier? Or is Milwaukee still in?
Rock Me Abbrederis

feekdogg wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:49 pm
Rock Me Abbrederis wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:42 pm Mike Moustakas to the Brew Crew
Huh. Shaw has been decent. Neither of those guys can play 2B or SS and there's no DH.

Is it down to Boston or LA for Dozier? Or is Milwaukee still in?
It sounds like Shaw will play 2B, or maybe a platoon with Villar when healthy
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

Amazing pickup for the Brewers.
Too Bad I Have To Destroy You Now
Rock Me Abbrederis

The guys who are left who I think could be traded are:

Brian Dozier
Lance Lynn
Ervin Santana (although it would not be until August, I am guessing, if he is moved)
Zach Duke
Fernando Rodney
Logan Morrison
Kyle Gibson (although I doubt it, unless we get a haul)
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Updated Twins prospect list according to MLB, with players received from the two trades.

Alcala was #10 in Houston, #11 here.
Gilberto Celestino #15 for the Stos, #14 here
Gabriel Maciel #11 for Arizona, #17 here
Jhoan Duran #19 in Arizona, #22 here

Kind of surprising to me that they got more for Pressly than EE
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:36 pm Updated Twins prospect list according to MLB, with players received from the two trades.

I'm guessing it's a combo of reasons why Pressly got a better return: there's always a higher demand for pitching, he's under team control still in 2019 (arbitration eligibility though), etc..

I just wonder if Dozier is going to be traded now... the market is disappearing for him. (And judging by his little comments yesterday after the Escobar trade, I can say that him resigning here is no longer on the table)
At this point, the Twins might just take about anything for him.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:36 pm Updated Twins prospect list according to MLB, with players received from the two trades.

This is what is really confusing to me. I'm looking these trades, and the prospects we're getting aren't bad. But you're right, I think the Pressly deal got the better return.
Miley Cyrus

Post by Miley Cyrus »

With Kinsler to the BoSox, maybe we'll get to see Dozy's gorgeous head of hair for the foreseeable future. :bday:
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Miley Cyrus wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:42 pm With Kinsler to the BoSox, maybe we'll get to see Dozy's gorgeous head of hair for the foreseeable future. :bday:
The only team left that makes any sense is LA. I think he's going to stay here.
A Kickass Offense

Post by A Kickass Offense »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:21 pm
Miley Cyrus wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:42 pm With Kinsler to the BoSox, maybe we'll get to see Dozy's gorgeous head of hair for the foreseeable future. :bday:
I'm honestly not sure how much LA would even want him, they've got 4-5 guys that can play multiple infield positions and for the most part, they can all hit as well.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

A Kickass Offense wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:27 pm
feekdogg wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:21 pm
I'm honestly not sure how much LA would even want him, they've got 4-5 guys that can play multiple infield positions and for the most part, they can all hit as well.
I know, but there's nobody else that makes any sense, unless an AL team would want him to DH. They either asked too much or they stupidly held out until the market fizzled out.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Zack Duke traded
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:42 am Zack Duke traded
Anyone else surprised the Twins are getting recognizable names for guys like Duke and Lynn? De Jong and Austin are actually guys I know of!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Style

Post by Style »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:27 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:42 am Zack Duke traded
Anyone else surprised the Twins are getting recognizable names for guys like Duke and Lynn? De Jong and Austin are actually guys I know of!
Two live bodies for Zach Duke is a surprise to me. The fact that you have heard of them is just the cherry on top!
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald