Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Ron Gardenhire>Paul Molitor

A place to discuss the MN Twins
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Ron Gardenhire>Paul Molitor

Post by RubeTube »

Ron Gardenhire is twice the manager that Paul Molitor is. Look what Ron is doing with a AAA squad this year.

Paul Molitor is the epitome of a lame duck manager. He's not really good at anything and is just there. It was time to move on from Ron but Molitor isn't even in the same realm as Gardenhire.

You can blame Gardy all you want but this team was a complete dumpster fire for year's before he took over and continues to be after he's gone. You can blame him for playoff chokes but almost all those years, they were beat by teams with more talent.

This ownership group did nothing to get them over the top. Signings like Phil Nevin to get you over the top?!?s

How about when they wouldn't budge on trading one of the 3 turdketeers of Slowey or Moon Shot Scott for Cliff Lee? These guy's were touted as the next Avery, Glavine and Smoltz. Lulz!

#GoGetEmTiger
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Re: Ron Gardenhire>Paul Molitor

Post by weimy froob »

i'll take molitor over gardenhire every day of the week and twice on sundays. give me the HOFer over the guy who didn't have his team ready to play against the A's when they could have made a run to a WS title.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

twins stole a game last night. give the manager some credit for that win.
Jack Hoff

Post by Jack Hoff »

Molly>Gardy
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:06 pm Ron Gardenhire is twice the manager that Paul Molitor is. Look what Ron is doing with a AAA squad this year.

Paul Molitor is the epitome of a lame duck manager. He's not really good at anything and is just there. It was time to move on from Ron but Molitor isn't even in the same realm as Gardenhire.

You can blame Gardy all you want but this team was a complete dumpster fire for year's before he took over and continues to be after he's gone. You can blame him for playoff chokes but almost all those years, they were beat by teams with more talent.

This ownership group did nothing to get them over the top. Signings like Phil Nevin to get you over the top?!?s

How about when they wouldn't budge on trading one of the 3 turdketeers of Slowey or Moon Shot Scott for Cliff Lee? These guy's were touted as the next Avery, Glavine and Smoltz. Lulz!

#GoGetEmTiger
Ummmmm... Just no.

I don’t like either of them, but Gardy had his shot several times and shit he bed with Championship caliber teams.

Furthermore, I’m not sure how you can make an argument about Gardy winning with shit talent, when you’ve been complaining about the quality of players the Twins have had all season. Can’t have it both ways.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Gardy's teams shit themselves in every postseason that they were ever in except one.

He had the MVP, The batting champ and The Cy Young winner and got swept by a mediocre Oakland team.

Then he hung on for years too long with the same buddies that he always had on his coaching staff, just shifting them around to different jobs that they usually sucked at.

You can rip Molitor all you want, but Gardy was a guy that would have been run out of every market but this one and he will not finish his 3 year contract in Detroit. It's a retirement job.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:13 pm Gardy's teams shit themselves in every postseason that they were ever in except one.

He had the MVP, The batting champ and The Cy Young winner and got swept by a mediocre Oakland team.

Then he hung on for years too long with the same buddies that he always had on his coaching staff, just shifting them around to different jobs that they usually sucked at.

You can rip Molitor all you want, but Gardy was a guy that would have been run out of every market but this one and he will not finish his 3 year contract in Detroit. It's a retirement job.
The A's series was bad but it was the only series out of many. Molitor won't even get this team in position to shit in a series.

I agree that they both are not great but Molitor has shown me absolutely nothing so far.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:18 pm
Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:13 pm Gardy's teams shit themselves in every postseason that they were ever in except one.

The A's series was bad but it was the only series out of many. Molitor won't even get this team in position to shit in a series.

I agree that they both are not great but Molitor has shown me absolutely nothing so far.
The boys were looking for any reason to fire him last year even trading his closer and selling off a starter they got after a week. Their best solution to helping him out was a 44 year old Bartolo Colon, and against all odds, that actually worked.

All that and Molly still made the Wild Card game without Sano despite being kicked around by a much superior Cleveland team for a good portion of the season.

Gardy was never on the hot seat. He finally was let go when his last contract went up and he was at his own "firing" press conference. That's never happened in any sport ever. I still wouldn't be stunned to see Pohlad and St. Peter find him a job in the organization again at some point.
Joboo

Post by Joboo »

Both are duds but as much as I've grown to dislike Skin cancer face I dislike Gardy even more.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Molly is a scout or a bench coach, not a manager. If I had to choose, I choose Gardy. Neither would be my first choice.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Molitor doesn't have half the talent that the 2006 team did.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Tuck ya in wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:44 pm

Even the 02'-04' and the pathetic showing by the 05' team had this team. Not to mention the loaded roster in 10' that fell off the map after that.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:14 pm

Even the 02'-04' and the pathetic showing by the 05' team had this team. Not to mention the loaded roster in 10' that fell off the map after that.
That 2010 team was fools gold. 2009 163 was also. Carl Pavano as your ace. Lulz. I never bought into that garbage.

The teams with Santana/Hunter/AJ/Koskie etc were legit.

The 03 year? Was the squandered shot. Making the ALCS and playing a inferior Angels team to get swept was the one that hurt. I never truly thought they would win it since but I did that year.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:20 pm

That 2010 team was fools gold. 2009 163 was also. Carl Pavano as your ace. Lulz. I never bought into that garbage.

Fair enough, but to fall that far, that fast isn't just on Bill Smith. 94 wins to 99 losses.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:24 pm

Fair enough, but to fall that far, that fast isn't just on Bill Smith. 94 wins to 99 losses.
I agree. I never had a problem with Smith. In fact I enjoyed him.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:29 pm
Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:24 pm

I agree. I never had a problem with Smith. In fact I enjoyed him.
I was way too hard on him in retrospect. He was thrust into a situation where he had to let Hunter and Santana go. He just overvalued what he thought the Yankees and Red Sox would do to get Santana. The Garza-Delmon trade was fine, but it would have been much better had he flipped Delmon for something after 2010.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

This ^^^^
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

He kinda sorta does but they can't hit with RISP. They need to fix this ASAP. it's been a trend since Gardy's last year.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Jimtown guy wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:31 pm

This ^^^^
Disagree. Sano is wildly unachieving, Buxton has been mismanaged, Kepler has stopped hitting against righties. The current bench is clearly better and this year's pitching staff is deeper and strong at the top.
Ketchup can be nuancy
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i don't think gardenhire ever had a team overachieve like molitor's squad did last year.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:34 am i don't think gardenhire ever had a team overachieve like molitor's squad did last year.
Steven Seagal

Post by Steven Seagal »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:34 am i don't think gardenhire ever had a team overachieve like molitor's squad did last year.
Gardy had some damn good teams. However they underachieved when it came to the playoffs.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Nancy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:57 am

This ^^^^
Disagree. Sano is wildly unachieving, Buxton has been mismanaged, Kepler has stopped hitting against righties. The current bench is clearly better and this year's pitching staff is deeper and strong at the top.
Morneau, Mauer, Hunter and even Cuddy were all superior players to those 3. Far superior in the case of the first 3 actually.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:21 pm

This ^^^^
Morneau, Mauer, Hunter and even Cuddy were all superior players to those 3. Far superior in the case of the first 3 actually.

Absolutely. Also, do the current players have any responsibility in their struggles or is it all coaching? Is Molitor required to fly to the Domican Republic and make sure Sano's on the treadmill in December? :thinking:
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:21 pm

This ^^^^
Exactly
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

gardy's team spits the bit this weekend when the twins could have used the help.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Anyone going to take in account the job Hardy is doing with a team that "Supposedly" has much less talnet than the Twins?
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

The Detroit Tigers announced on Wednesday that the team has fired pitching coach Chris Bosio.

The team released the following statement:

“Effective immediately, the Detroit Tigers have terminated the contract of pitching coach Chris Bosio for his insensitive comments that violated Club policy and his Uniform Employee Contract. The organization holds all of our personnel to the highest standards of personal conduct both on and off the field. We have zero tolerance for this type of behavior. The Club will have no further comment on this matter.”

Tigers general manager Al Avila said Bosio’s comments were made toward a team employee.

The team will use bullpen coach Rick Anderson as the pitching coach for the rest of the season.

The hiring of Bosio was seen as a big boost to the Tigers’ rebuilding efforts, considering his guidance helped the Chicago Cubs win the World Series in 2016. Bosio was fired by Cubs manager Joe Maddon at the end of the 2017 season.

It’ll be interesting to see how this affects the club, considering that manager Ron Gardenhire deferred to Bosio’s judgment on many decisions regarding the pitching staff.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:50 pm The Detroit Tigers announced on Wednesday that the team has fired pitching coach Chris Bosio.

“Effective immediately, the Detroit Tigers have terminated the contract of pitching coach Chris Bosio for his insensitive comments that violated Club policy and his Uniform Employee Contract. The organization holds all of our personnel to the highest standards of personal conduct both on and off the field. We have zero tolerance for this type of behavior. The Club will have no further comment on this matter.”

Tigers general manager Al Avila said Bosio’s comments were made toward a team employee.

The team will use bullpen coach Rick Anderson as the pitching coach for the rest of the season.

The hiring of Bosio was seen as a big boost to the Tigers’ rebuilding efforts, considering his guidance helped the Chicago Cubs win the World Series in 2016. Bosio was fired by Cubs manager Joe Maddon at the end of the 2017 season.

It’ll be interesting to see how this affects the club, considering that manager Ron Gardenhire deferred to Bosio’s judgment on many decisions regarding the pitching staff.
So Gardy has Anderson now as pitching coach?
I suppose Bruno will be hitting coach shortly.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

jakazz30 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:16 pm
weimy froob wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:50 pm The Detroit Tigers announced on Wednesday that the team has fired pitching coach Chris Bosio.

So Gardy has Anderson now as pitching coach?
I suppose Bruno will be hitting coach shortly.
yep. rick's back in the saddle.