Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Real Talk About Kyle Gibson

A place to discuss the MN Twins
beetlebum71

Real Talk About Kyle Gibson

Post by beetlebum71 »

What a crazy 2nd half he's had. 7-3, 3.58 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, 7.9 K/9, 2.91 K/BB, less than a hit per inning pitched, and an average of over 6 innings per start.

Those numbers in and of themselves aren't crazy, but when you consider he was quite possibly the worst starting pitcher in all of baseball for the first 3.5 months of the season, that turnaround is pretty astounding. The Twins aren't where they are right now without his contributions.

In the middle of July, he looked like the easiest non-tender call in the history of baseball. Now? You absolutely have to offer him arbitration and ensure that he's back here next year. With Santana and Berrios the only other sure things for the rotation right now, bringing Gibby back becomes a no-brainer.

The best thing moving forward is that the Twins don't have to make any kind of long-term decision on Kyle until after the 2019 season. They can keep him season to season until then for relatively cheap.

Lastly, how they use him this postseason will be interesting. If they're willing to use him on short rest (something I would be OK with), they could have him pitch games 1 and 4 of a potential ALDS against Cleveland, which would allow them to get through the series without using a 4th starter. Maybe they could keep him on an 80-85 pitch limit in Game 1 to make it easier. Who would have thought having Gibson pitch twice in a short series would be a realistic idea 2 months ago?

We live in a crazy, mixed-up world.
ForCaleb

Re: Real Talk About Kyle Gibson

Post by ForCaleb »

The few starts I've watched him pitch after the AS break, I noticed he's keeping the ball down in the zone. Obviously a recipe for success for all pitchers, but with his velocity under league average he's been successful keeping the ball down and locating.

Just a quick look on Fangraphs, this year he's throwing his curveball more and slider and sinker slightly less. Maybe he found something in his curveball?

I agree, start him Game 1 and 4.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Yep
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
Steven Seagal

Post by Steven Seagal »

Hrs been a pleasant surprise this year. I don’t see him getting traded though. Santana I do
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Wow he's finally put together a few good months for the first time in his whole career! There are one or these on the Twins every year. They will bank on this guy next year and he we go back to Turd Gibson.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

I don't trust him at all given how his career has been.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:00 pm I don't trust him at all given how his career has been.
This!

Phil Hughes once put together a FULL good year here. The bar is set so low for this organization. I would hope that a guy who is a professional baseball player, that plays as many games as they do through a major league season, could put together a few good months here or there.

The guy didn't just "Find his stuff". He's still had a terrible career so far.

TRADE HIM!! He may never be worth anything again.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

He's mad some adjustments that seem to be legit. Not saying he's chis sale... but he's def a quality pitcher.

Getting a lot more arm side spin on his slider and the results have been ah good.
Too Bad I Have To Destroy You Now
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

64DegreeWedge wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:48 pm He's mad some adjustments that seem to be legit. Not saying he's chis sale... but he's def a quality pitcher.

Getting a lot more arm side spin on his slider and the results have been ah good.
This x10. He was always one of those guys who nibbled something fierce when he'd get two strikes on batters, fill the count, and then have to come in with something meaty. He was afraid of getting hit while ahead in the count. Since the middle of last year, he's pitching aggressively when ahead. He's using his slider, burying it in good locations, and using his 4 seamer up and on the inner half to set his slider up. He's pitching in a more modern fashion. He's not trying to induce weak contact anymore. He's trusting his stuff and trying to get swings and misses, and it's working.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:50 pm Wow he's finally put together a few good months for the first time in his whole career! There are one or these on the Twins every year. They will bank on this guy next year and he we go back to Turd Gibson.
He was pretty good post all star break last year too. You could see him coming around. I was pretty confident he was going to be good this season, and he's been even better than I thought. He won't revert to Turd Gibson. Its not like he's getting lucky out there, he's been filthy.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

beetlebum71 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:10 pm
64DegreeWedge wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:48 pm He's mad some adjustments that seem to be legit. Not saying he's chis sale... but he's def a quality pitcher.

This x10. He was always one of those guys who nibbled something fierce when he'd get two strikes on batters, fill the count, and then have to come in with something meaty. He was afraid of getting hit while ahead in the count. Since the middle of last year, he's pitching aggressively when ahead. He's using his slider, burying it in good locations, and using his 4 seamer up and on the inner half to set his slider up. He's pitching in a more modern fashion. He's not trying to induce weak contact anymore. He's trusting his stuff and trying to get swings and misses, and it's working.
I agree.
He's doing now (well basically for a full season if we go back) what Blyleven had harped on for years when Gibson pitched..every pitch doesn't have to be perfect. Trust your stuff..if a batter takes advantage of a mistake, forget about it.
It seems as if that has finally clicked with him.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

I think he went to a Sports Psychologist and since then, he's been pitching with a clean concious.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Solid finally figuring out how to pitch 3rd starter 5 years late. Trade him now!
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Qman65 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:44 am Solid finally figuring out how to pitch 3rd starter 5 years late. Trade him now!
This! Turd Gibson would be lucky to pitch at the back-end of a competent staff. Trade him to Milwaukee and let's watch him blow their chances.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

Not this year.
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

That's a big improvement on his slider.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:06 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:00 pm I don't trust him at all given how his career has been.
This!

Phil Hughes once put together a FULL good year here. The bar is set so low for this organization. I would hope that a guy who is a professional baseball player, that plays as many games as they do through a major league season, could put together a few good months here or there.

Bump
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:56 pm
This!

Bump
I had the same thoughts as well.

Look at his stats prior to 2018. Then look at 2018. What's the trend? What's the mirage? Is it Gibson's career defined by ONE good season or the other seasons of below-average pitching?

How is it that us nobodies could see this coming a mile away yet the "brain trust" Levine couldn't see this EXACT THING happening?
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

DC4MVP wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:32 am

This!

Bump

Look at his stats prior to 2018. Then look at 2018. What's the trend? What's the mirage? Is it Gibson's career defined by ONE good season or the other seasons of below-average pitching?

How is it that us nobodies could see this coming a mile away yet the "brain trust" Levine couldn't see this EXACT THING happening?
I'm hoping the poor start is due to his late spring training (E. coli).
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Definitely concerned. His ability to get out of jams isn’t there yet this year.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

DC4MVP wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:32 am

This!

Bump

I'm not going to pretend I know the intricacies of baseball contracts but he is making 8 million this year. I'm assuming that the Pohlads didn't want to eat that money while at the same time trying to find a replacement for Gibson's "production".

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/minnesota-t ... -earnings/
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

Maybe I spoke too soon on Gibson. Was messing around on baseball savant this morning and got damn he is trash vs lefties
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

gibson's last two starts have broken losing streaks. he got the win last night to go to 9-4. the team also has a very good winning percentage in games the starts where he hasn't got a decision. for whatever reason his starts have been what you expect from your ace-games that you win.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:10 am gibson's last two starts have broken losing streaks. he got the win last night to go to 9-4. the team also has a very good winning percentage in games the starts where he hasn't got a decision. for whatever reason his starts have been what you expect from your ace-games that you win.
His K rate is the highest it's ever been. His BB rate and WHIP are the best they've ever been. He's just a solid #3 starter, and has been for two full years. I'd like to see him get 3 years at like $35 million to keep him around this winter. He can be part of the solution.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

beetlebum71 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:29 am
weimy froob wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:10 am gibson's last two starts have broken losing streaks. he got the win last night to go to 9-4. the team also has a very good winning percentage in games the starts where he hasn't got a decision. for whatever reason his starts have been what you expect from your ace-games that you win.
His K rate is the highest it's ever been. His BB rate and WHIP are the best they've ever been. He's just a solid #3 starter, and has been for two full years. I'd like to see him get 3 years at like $35 million to keep him around this winter. He can be part of the solution.
I'd be surprised if he gets 3 years on the open market. He'll be 32 in October.Twins should give him the QO, or sign him for 2 years.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

Small Hands wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:43 am
I'd be surprised if he gets 3 years on the open market. He'll be 32 in October.Twins should give him the QO, or sign him for 2 years.
He's only got about 1000 ML innings on him, and he's already had TJ. I'm not worried about him burning out. The QO is like $20 million. I doubt they go with that for 1 year. Two is possible, but I'd guess if that's all they offer, he'll test the market.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

beetlebum71 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:29 pm

He's only got about 1000 ML innings on him, and he's already had TJ. I'm not worried about him burning out. The QO is like $20 million. I doubt they go with that for 1 year. Two is possible, but I'd guess if that's all they offer, he'll test the market.
batters are hitting around .350 with two outs and runners in scoring position. he's got to fix that.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:47 am

batters are hitting around .350 with two outs and runners in scoring position. he's got to fix that.
Seems like he gets FB happy in those spots, but that's just anecdotal. I haven't looked at the numbers.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

beetlebum71 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:49 am
weimy froob wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:47 am
Seems like he gets FB happy in those spots, but that's just anecdotal. I haven't looked at the numbers.
Take a look at his opponent BA the third time around the order too. It’s abysmal.

Gibson’s numbers in innings 4-6:

45 IP, 30 ER, 5.96 ERA, opp BA .298, opp OBP .351, opp Slg % .500

I certainly wouldn’t give him 3 years for that kind of money.
Bon Scott

Post by Bon Scott »

Bullpen material. Batters tend to figure him out very well during their 2nd time around.
Trump will forever be known as Potus who was so full of shit that country ran out of Toilet Paper.