Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

And It's Over Before It Started

A place to discuss the MN Twins
focker

Re: And It's Over Before It Started

Post by focker »

Having players travel around the country to play these games was always a bad idea. The NFL season is going to be a disaster.
Top 4 Froob 2021!!!
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Mandatory wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:30 pm
Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:13 pm
Mandatory wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:50 pm

Lou Williams.. another guy who went to get food. Dwight Howard is walking around refusing to wear a mask and saying it's a hoax...

These are just the guys that got caught. Add in all the consternation when a "reporting hotline" for the players was floated. Sure, they're within a "bubble"... but how many players are partying it up and sneaking folks in?

Besides the point. This sort of containment cannot be maintained for any of the MLB, NHL, NFL, NCAAF and NCAABB. Accept they're not going to work.
I will repeat, Lou Williams had an excused absence. He didn't sneak out. Was he irresponsible going to a strip club? Absolutely! He was tested daily though regardless of what he did outside the bubble.

Richaun Holmes crossed an imaginary line to pick up a food delivery. He wasn't sneaking out. Dwight Howard is an idiot, but not wearing a mask isn't sneaking out and he's now been informed that he has to wear a mask or get out.
And you just reiterated all 3 reasons as to why it doesn't work! :shrug:
These are weak examples to try and prove the NBA bubble is a "joke" and players are "sneaking in and out as they please." The NBA bubble is working thus far, not sure why you're making up stuff to try to disprove that.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Welp! Looks like baseball is still on. That's good. I'm glad not everyone has the same Covid anxiety.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Jaamz

Post by Jaamz »

focker wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:30 am Having players travel around the country to play these games was always a bad idea. The NFL season is going to be a disaster.
Stay in your bubble! Bitchboy!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Miami-Dade mayor says Marlins should follow 14-day quarantine rule when team returns to Florida

The Miami Marlins should follow the 14-day quarantine protocol when they return to South Florida, Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Giménez said Tuesday.

His remarks came just before Major League Baseball announced multiple postponements of upcoming games out of an abundance of caution after multiple Miami Marlins tested positive for Covid-19.

“They [Miami Marlins] should follow the medical protocol,” Giménez said at a briefing. “If somebody’s been exposed, just like any other person, they need to be tested and self-quarantine for a while, that’s the normal protocol, that’s what we would ask them to do.”

“I would assume that they would follow the medical protocols and I would assume they also follow the law unless they have some kind of exemption,” he added.

The mayor said he doesn’t see how MLB teams will be able to contain the spread of the virus among their ball clubs if players are allowed to go back into the community after their games.

Giménez thinks the National Basketball Association has “the right formula” by putting teams in an enclosed environment, often referred to as a “bubble,” in which the participants live, practice and play all games.

He also doesn’t expect the county to suffer additional economic hardship if the Marlins’ season were to get postponed.

“There’s no fans, so it’s all TV revenue,” Giménez said. “As far as the county is concerned, it has minimal impact on the county.”

“They still owe us the rent, whether they play or they don’t,” he added.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:07 pm Miami-Dade mayor says Marlins should follow 14-day quarantine rule when team returns to Florida

The Miami Marlins should follow the 14-day quarantine protocol when they return to South Florida, Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Giménez said Tuesday.

His remarks came just before Major League Baseball announced multiple postponements of upcoming games out of an abundance of caution after multiple Miami Marlins tested positive for Covid-19.

“They [Miami Marlins] should follow the medical protocol,” Giménez said at a briefing. “If somebody’s been exposed, just like any other person, they need to be tested and self-quarantine for a while, that’s the normal protocol, that’s what we would ask them to do.”

“I would assume that they would follow the medical protocols and I would assume they also follow the law unless they have some kind of exemption,” he added.

The mayor said he doesn’t see how MLB teams will be able to contain the spread of the virus among their ball clubs if players are allowed to go back into the community after their games.

Giménez thinks the National Basketball Association has “the right formula” by putting teams in an enclosed environment, often referred to as a “bubble,” in which the participants live, practice and play all games.

He also doesn’t expect the county to suffer additional economic hardship if the Marlins’ season were to get postponed.

“There’s no fans, so it’s all TV revenue,” Giménez said. “As far as the county is concerned, it has minimal impact on the county.”

They still owe us the rent, whether they play or they don’t,” he added.
:lol:

Just so there's no confusion.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Mandatory wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:57 am Even if one team is hit hard and the others aren't.. competitive balance and the safety of the players have to be paramount, no?

Not only should they probably cancel the season, but other leagues should be taking a long hard look. This was always a bad idea.
Bubbles seem to be working fine.... no?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:34 am
Mandatory wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:57 am Even if one team is hit hard and the others aren't.. competitive balance and the safety of the players have to be paramount, no?

Not only should they probably cancel the season, but other leagues should be taking a long hard look. This was always a bad idea.
I think a bubble is a very expensive and hard to maintain environment with no guarantee. I don't believe it can be accomplished with the NFL or MLB. I don't see the point of trying.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Straight Edge Raven

Post by Straight Edge Raven »

Ouch...they were just here. Is MN next?
Slava Ukraini
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Straight Edge Raven wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:16 am

Ouch...they were just here. Is MN next?
Separate locker rooms.... how much contact during the game? Hmm....
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Mandatory wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:17 pm

I think a bubble is a very expensive and hard to maintain environment with no guarantee. I don't believe it can be accomplished with the NFL or MLB. I don't see the point of trying.
Divisional bubbles for football... one month on, one month off! Rotate the months so you always have games... season will last longer but....
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:33 pm

Divisional bubbles for football... one month on, one month off! Rotate the months so you always have games... season will last longer but....
Do you really need football that bad?

#BaltimoreStrong
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Whether they make it through the whole season... how many people need to be put at risk? It's not just players but everyone they know and everyone they know. The risk is limitless.

#BaltimoreStrong
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Mandatory wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:30 pm

Do I? No... especially not college football. Would love to see college hoops back somehow... hopefully we get some shots this winter and the college hoops season starts in January... maybe?
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Mandatory wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:30 pm

Having sports isn't a danger to the majority of the population.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

I think we can have sports back. I think just for public health this sort of thing needs to be shelved until at least 2022. Not just sports. Theaters, concerts, etc. Its doable butt...

#BaltimoreStrong
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Mandatory wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:55 pm I think we can have sports back. I think just for public health this sort of thing needs to be shelved until at least 2022. Not just sports. Theaters, concerts, etc. Its doable butt...
2022?!?
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Major League Baseball commissioner warns of Covid-19 shutdown

ESPN is reporting that Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred warned players union head Tony Clark on a Friday call that if the league and players don’t do a better job following Covid-19 protocols and better manage the virus, Manfred could shut down the shortened season.

On Friday, both the MLB and MLB Players Association announced that 29 players and staff have tested positive for Covid-19 this week.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

More Cards tested positive.

I give it a week, season is gonna end
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

morneaumvp wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:38 pm More Cards tested positive.

Yep. 5 games postponed today. They keep on adding up
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

They’re gonna call it on Monday. I hope I’m wrong. I love baseball, and it has given me an escape from all the negativity
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

Small Hands wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:04 pm

They’re gonna call it on Monday. I hope I’m wrong. I love baseball, and it has given me an escape from all the negativity
Agreed, watchin Twins dominating has been good therapy.

Manfred is an incompetent PoS, he should have just told the MLB Players to go F themselves and its Bubble or no season.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

morneaumvp wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:39 am

Agreed, watchin Twins dominating has been good therapy.

Manfred is an incompetent PoS, he should have just told the MLB Players to go F themselves and its Bubble or no season.
Yep. It done.

Only good is if NFL scrambles to figure out a different way. All the sports in bubbles are thriving. Hopefully this makes the NFL realize they have to do something.

Baseball is done.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Couldn't they move to a bubble at a later time without shutting it all down completely?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Slap Shot wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:53 am Couldn't they move to a bubble at a later time without shutting it all down completely?
Maybe if they put the thing on hold for a bit. All it will take is one more Marlins like incidents and they will be making a decision on what to do next.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Don't give up.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »