Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Twins ink Josh Donaldson to four-year, $92 million deal

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Leon

Re: Twins ink Josh Donaldson to four-year, $92 million deal

Post by Leon »

Hornets wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:39 pm Now think a better chance that Eddie gets traded.....
agree Gus, Marwin can play LF or RF so it doesn't have to be Eddie, whoever can land the ace they need should be considered
Leon

Post by Leon »

dp
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

#NewBlue Jays Dad
☔️
‏ @BlueJaysDad
14h14 hours ago

Minnesota Twins Fans getting much more than realized in Josh Donaldson. He’s a no-nonsense winner. Not intimidated by anything or anyone. He’ll lead you into battle every day, defend teammates every step of the way.
“This isn’t the ‘Try League’ — it’s the GET IT DONE League.”☔️🦄
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

Aaron Gleeman
‏Verified account @AaronGleeman
11h11 hours ago

Twins' starting nine and their OPS last year:

1.031 Nelson Cruz
.995 Mitch Garver
.923 Miguel Sano
.900 Josh Donaldson
.855 Max Kepler
.841 Jorge Polanco
.838 Luis Arraez
.827 Byron Buxton
.800 Eddie Rosario
.758 *MLB AVERAGE*

This lineup is bonkers now.
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

Jeff Passan
‏Verified account @JeffPassan
Jan 14

From the beginning of the winter, the Minnesota Twins were the sneaky favorite to sign Josh Donaldson. They made a big impression on him in their pitch meeting, and Donaldson’s connection with manager Rocco Baldelli was immediate and strong. An excellent fit for both parties.
39 replies 142 retweets 1,341 likes
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Now of course we all realize that this monster lineup probably will only be completely intact about 50-60% of the season due to injuries, but with this big of an arsenal they can afford to have a guy or 2 out much of the time.

WIN TWINS!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

For those that say our hitting was good enough last year, did you watch game 3 last year?

I agree ideally they sign Wheeler over Donaldson, but Donaldson is still a huge addition.

I'd argue adding Donaldson makes a trade for a pitcher more likely.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

OliverMiller wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:50 am For those that say our hitting was good enough last year, did you watch game 3 last year?

I agree ideally they sign Wheeler over Donaldson, but Donaldson is still a huge addition.

Our infield defense was awful and now we have 1 elite defender. That will help the pitching staff. Everyone is looking for starting pitching so any trades will be difficult especially if you're looking for a front line starter. My guess is the trade is more likely to happen during the season when teams aren't playing up to expectations.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

OliverMiller wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:50 am For those that say our hitting was good enough last year, did you watch game 3 last year?

Oh absolutely. It was always the move to trade for a pitvher once we sort out our big club and prospects. Never trade from a position of uncertainty. But this move necessitates more spending. It will be absolutely necessary. If you aren't going to trade for pitching because of money then this was a spare tire move.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

The Replacements wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:29 am

Our infield defense was awful and now we have 1 elite defender. That will help the pitching staff. Everyone is looking for starting pitching so any trades will be difficult especially if you're looking for a front line starter. My guess is the trade is more likely to happen during the season when teams aren't playing up to expectations.
they really aren't any worse with their staff then they were last year imo. so yes they can wait to make the trade mid-season. but they have to make the trade this year. and they need to get a grade A horse if they want to give the stanks a run for their money.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Thank GOD! Thank you Pohlads for finally seeing the light!

I cant wait to see what other pieces we add!

I wonder what the people on this site who were against these kinds of signings think of it? Like the Replacements who thinks teams like the Twins should never be buyers.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

salamander wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:22 am Thank GOD! Thank you Pohlads for finally seeing the light!

I wonder what the people on this site who were against these kinds of signings think of it? Like the Replacements who thinks teams like the Twins should never be buyers.
And what will you think if we don't add a big money pitcher in a trade because of his money?

Never a problem adding good players. But we aren't NY or LA. It is not a bottomless well.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:32 am
salamander wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:22 am Thank GOD! Thank you Pohlads for finally seeing the light!

And what will you think if we don't add a big money pitcher in a trade because of his money?

Never a problem adding good players. But we aren't NY or LA. It is not a bottomless well.
Your right and I've agreed with that this entire time. This is probably the 100th time I've said that.

Pitching needs to be added. Payroll needs to be added in buyer years. Asking for a team that competes 2 out of every 10 years is not asking too much.

If payroll is the reason we're not adding pieces during our current buyer year I have a huge problem with that.

In three years after we took a legitimate crack at the World Series I have no problem being sellers for awhile or even just a dip while some prospects develop under the mainstays.

The well for a winning team is near bottomless in MN.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:32 am

Yeah, the people complaining about the continuous lack of spending aren't arguing that we should spend like NYY or LAD. We are complaining that when the team is ready to strike, they don't strike. We understand we cant spend like the Yankees or Dodgers. All we ask for is for ownership to show their fans some respect, and when the team is ready...pounce on it. Show the fans some gratitude for sticking through the bad years, and put a real contender on the field...not year in and year out like the Yankees and Dodgers can do (we know thats unrealistic)...but maybe just once in a blue moon, like now, when you have the best lineup in baseball.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Butch Bradford wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:59 pm
Aaron Gleeman
‏Verified account @AaronGleeman
11h11 hours ago

Twins' starting nine and their OPS last year:

1.031 Nelson Cruz
.995 Mitch Garver
.923 Miguel Sano
.900 Josh Donaldson
.855 Max Kepler
.841 Jorge Polanco
.838 Luis Arraez
.827 Byron Buxton
.800 Eddie Rosario
.758 *MLB AVERAGE*

This lineup is bonkers now.
yowzer. I expect some regression to the norm for some players, as so many had career years. But even with regression from some of them, this lineup might be better than last years. Throw in a couple prospects, known for their hitting that might/should produce...maybe someone like Kiriloff or Larnach or Rooker come up this year, and give the team no other choice, but to keep them up, similar to what Arraez did last year. Oh yeah, we got The Turtle too, who can get hot in a pinch...not sure if I'm gonna sleep on Nick Gordon either, who was a top 100 prospect (according to mlb.com) for multiple years, topping out at #30, who was flying through the minors until he hit a snag at Rochester, then had a bounce back last year, hitting near .300.
Leon

Post by Leon »

Leon wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:54 pm
Hornets wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:39 pm Now think a better chance that Eddie gets traded.....
agree Gus, Marwin can play LF or RF so it doesn't have to be Eddie, whoever can land the ace they need should be considered
and then Donaldson can take Eddie's # 20 !!!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Leon wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:43 pm
Leon wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:54 pm
and then Donaldson can take Eddie's # 20 !!!
:thumbsup:
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

salamander

Post by salamander »

I smiled during that whole video like a goofy sports nerd.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

Going to be honest.. I was way wrong about this guy. Seeing his name and highlights in passing in the past, wasn't really a big fan. Having done a little research, watched some interviews and his introductory press conference.. I FUCKING LOVE HIM!
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Mandatory wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:30 am Going to be honest.. I was way wrong about this guy. Seeing his name and highlights in passing in the past, wasn't really a big fan. Having done a little research, watched some interviews and his introductory press conference.. I FUCKING LOVE HIM!
How about you head up the bocce ball department.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

Ask Not wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:58 am
Mandatory wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:30 am Going to be honest.. I was way wrong about this guy. Seeing his name and highlights in passing in the past, wasn't really a big fan. Having done a little research, watched some interviews and his introductory press conference.. I FUCKING LOVE HIM!
How about you head up the bocce ball department.
I don't know what that means but I would be honored.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Donaldson is an absolute stud and the only thing that could hold him back would be injuries or Father Time....

WIN TWINS!
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Hornets wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:20 pm Donaldson is an absolute stud and the only thing that could hold him back would be injuries or Father Time....

WIN TWINS!
I think playing in the American league was a big factor in offering a longer deal. The Braves and Nationals likely didn't want the same length of deal.
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

Read this story....it's a couple years old but after reading it, I believe that you'll like him even more, Mandy.

https://torontolife.com/city/life/home- ... -hothead/
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

An interesting part was when he was asked if 24 is the final number he will wear.

He paused for a while and looked around. Said there will be more conversations about it and was smiling. Didn’t seem like he was going to keep it.

I took it as a sign that they told him that they are trying to trade Rosario and that his 20 will be available once the season comes. Or, it could jut be his indecision on what number he wants to be.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

what a thrill it must be to sign a 92 million dollar contract to play a game that you've loved your entire life and then get the jersey and the press conference. not too long before we get to watch him and the other bombas in action on the diamond.

following.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

The experts seem to think that with a short season facing easier pitching than he did in the NL East, Josh Donaldson is in line for a potentially big season. Here are Donaldson's career numbers versus the league with this year's opponents shaded in gray. If anything, the Twins helped themselves by eliminating a player whose best career numbers are against Minnesota.

Career Splits
---

Best Career OPS
---

HR per Game
---
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:51 pm
:clap: :clap: :clap:

what a thrill it must be to sign a 92 million dollar contract to play a game that you've loved your entire life and then get the jersey and the press conference. not too long before we get to watch him and the other bombas in action on the diamond.

following.
Little did we know that 6 months later we STILL wouldn't be watching him..... :cry: