Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Twins ink Josh Donaldson to four-year, $92 million deal

A place to discuss the MN Twins
bubu dubu.

Re: Twins ink Josh Donaldson to four-year, $92 million deal

Post by bubu dubu. »

The lineup is absolutely nuts...

defense and pitching is likely going to be a major issue.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I didn't realize Donny boy is 34 with quite the extensive list of injuries and passed around to different teams lately.

You boy's a bit worried?

This seems to be the type of signing most of the pocket protectors on here over the years would applaud the Twins organization for not spending money on someone like this.

The old company line of "Too old and injury prone to give that long of a deal"

Thoughts?
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:38 pm I didn't realize Donny boy is 34 with quite the extensive list of injuries and passed around to different teams lately.

You boy's a bit worried?

This seems to be the type of signing most of the pocket protectors on here over the years would applaud the Twins organization for not spending money on someone like this.

Thoughts?
Injured one year that he got traded in. Had a “prove it” 1 year contract with ATL and was awesome.
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

Can we trade him for a legit starting pitcher? LOL Should be fun watching us win a bunch of 10-8 games in August. And then, of course, get bounced in the first round of the playoffs. Unless there is something big in the works, I don't see any way this isn't the ceiling for this team.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:49 pm
weimy froob wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:43 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:39 pm My nipples are diamonds boys..baseball diamonds. Please pursue a SP at some point.
time to trade some of the prospects for a big-time arm.
Depends what you mean by big-time arm, but even by a generous definition of such, prospects alone aren't going to get it (unless you include both Kiriloff and Lewis in said deal) done. Teams will want a young player with experience in return (Rosario, Kepler, Buxton) as well.

I might be wrong, but I think the best type of pitcher you can hope to get via trade is in the caliber of a Matt Boyd, Jon Gray, or Robbie Ray. Teams with better pitchers that are in the same age range are quite simply pretty much off limits.
All for any of those 3. Boyd, Gray and Ray.
We started Randy Dobniak in game 2 of the playoffs for petes sake.

With Big Mike and Hill on the shelf for a while, it would be nice to get one now vs at the deadline.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:38 pm I didn't realize Donny boy is 34 with quite the extensive list of injuries and passed around to different teams lately.

You boy's a bit worried?

Thoughts?
First, he turned 34 last month so won't turn 35 until next season is over. Second, he's never played less than 100 games in a season so I wouldn't say that he's injury prone, but his 2017 and 2018 were each partially derailed (113 and 104 games respectively). I'd be a lot more concerned if he hadn't come back and played 2019 injury free, but he did. That said, it's always a bit of a gamble when dealing out a contract with that amount of money, but I think this is a move that we will look back on and he happy that they made.
Last edited by Ron Burgundy 4 President on Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:54 pm One thing about Donaldson that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that he has a real strong personality. Pretty much the exact opposite personality of say a Joe Mauer. As such I think he rubs some people the wrong way, but this team has needed a player like this for about the better part of two decades. If they make the playoffs and play the Yankees again he isn't going to be afraid and hopefully it's contagious to the rest of the team.
Solid post! Agree. Kinda guy teammates love and opponents hate.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:56 pm

You boy's a bit worried?

Thoughts?
First, he turned 34 last month so won't turn 35 until next season is over. Second, he's never played less than 100 games in a season so I wouldn't say that he's injury prone, but his 2017 and 2018 we each partially derailed (113 and 104 games respectively). I'd be a lot more concerned if he hadn't come back and played 2019 injury free, but he did. That said, it's always a bit of a gamble when dealing out a contract with that amount of money, but I think this is a move that we will look back on and he happy that they made.
Agreed. There's some skepticism, but overall this is a move every team besides the Twins make. Its nice to see the Twins finally leave the 90's.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Good stuff.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

mglviks wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:55 pm
weimy froob wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:43 pm

time to trade some of the prospects for a big-time arm.
Depends what you mean by big-time arm, but even by a generous definition of such, prospects alone aren't going to get it (unless you include both Kiriloff and Lewis in said deal) done. Teams will want a young player with experience in return (Rosario, Kepler, Buxton) as well.

I might be wrong, but I think the best type of pitcher you can hope to get via trade is in the caliber of a Matt Boyd, Jon Gray, or Robbie Ray. Teams with better pitchers that are in the same age range are quite simply pretty much off limits.

With Big Mike and Hill on the shelf for a while, it would be nice to get one now vs at the deadline.
I agree. People will still say, "those aren't they type of pitchers you give the ball to in game one or two of a playoff series (and I don't necessarily disagree with that)." Sadly, that's the best you are gonna do. The fact is, unless you sell them the farm (literally) teams that have those types of pitchers just don't trade them.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:14 pm

I agree. People will still say, "those aren't they type of pitchers you give the ball to in game one or two of a playoff series (and I don't necessarily disagree with that)." Sadly, that's the best you are gonna do. The fact is, unless you sell them the farm (literally) teams that have those types of pitchers just don't trade them.
Does anyone here have a scout's eye as to what the projections of the farm guys are in the Show? RockMeAbbrederis?

I here about them occasionally, but I dont have any actual idea. Are they all trade bait now that there's a different FO philosophy in charge than when they were drafted? Are some projected to fill holes (Lewis, Kirriloff, Larnach)? If not, bring in a stud.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:22 am

Does anyone here have a scout's eye as to what the projections of the farm guys are in the Show? RockMeAbbrederis?

I here about them occasionally, but I dont have any actual idea. Are they all trade bait now that there's a different FO philosophy in charge than when they were drafted? Are some projected to fill holes (Lewis, Kirriloff, Larnach)? If not, bring in a stud.
Lewis fell off a cliff last year. Expect his stock to plummet when MLB prospect rankings are released in a couple weeks. Should have traded him last year. Kirilloff should be called up in May or June. Graterol is projected to get called back up in June by some. Maybe Larnach in September.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Not to hijack the thread, but this FO rewards good/hot play more than rewarding the next guy in line. If Wade is playing the best, he gets the call, if it's Cave, then it's his turn. The same thing at lower levels- if a scout says Dobnak has proven what we need him to in A ball, then he gets moved up. It's not the old philosophy of needing to see a guy be successful for a whole season at every level.

I mention this to say you could see names that aren't the first 4 on the prospect list. Maybe Raley, Gordon or Alcala are the first guys called up.
Ketchup can be nuancy
full force five

Post by full force five »

I was wrong about the Twins not signing a big money free agent. It's a risky move give his age but I like it!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Ask Not wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:38 am

Not to hijack the thread, but this FO rewards good/hot play more than rewarding the next guy in line. If Wade is playing the best, he gets the call, if it's Cave, then it's his turn. The same thing at lower levels- if a scout says Dobnak has proven what we need him to in A ball, then he gets moved up. It's not the old philosophy of needing to see a guy be successful for a whole season at every level.

I mention this to say you could see names that aren't the first 4 on the prospect list. Maybe Raley, Gordon or Alcala are the first guys called up.
to hijack it further. wade or cave and a couple of prospects and maybe a relief pitcher should be enough bait to get a pretty good SP imo.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Donaldson also gives the Twins a needed defensive boost in the infield, as he should immediately slot in at third base with a glove that was worth eight outs above average last season, per Statcast, ranking him third among all third basemen. That will move Miguel Sanó to first base after he also agreed to a three-year extension with the Twins on Tuesday. Sanó had been worth minus-three OAA at the hot corner.

Of course the home runs are a nice boost, but this matters more to the team's success, especially with less than stellar pitching.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:28 am

Lewis fell off a cliff last year. Expect his stock to plummet when MLB prospect rankings are released in a couple weeks. Should have traded him last year. Kirilloff should be called up in May or June. Graterol is projected to get called back up in June by some. Maybe Larnach in September.
Royce Lewis did have a difficult start to the season but was the Arizona Fall League MVP so I would still expect him to be in the top 10 prospect list. Kirilloff was dealing with injuries so he didn't put up the same numbers. I expect him spend most of the year in the minors but is still a top prospect. I see Larnach has the most likely prospect to be traded along with Rooker.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

feekdogg wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:18 am Donaldson also gives the Twins a needed defensive boost in the infield, as he should immediately slot in at third base with a glove that was worth eight outs above average last season, per Statcast, ranking him third among all third basemen. That will move Miguel Sanó to first base after he also agreed to a three-year extension with the Twins on Tuesday. Sanó had been worth minus-three OAA at the hot corner.

Of course the home runs are a nice boost, but this matters more to the team's success, especially with less than stellar pitching.
This should help a poor defensive infield get closer to average. That's assuming Sano adjusts to first base.
D_H

Post by D_H »

I guess it's cool but we didn't have any trouble scoring runs last year. Once again if we get in the playoffs will have a huge huge disadvantage at the starting positions of 1 & 2. I dunno..
full force five

Post by full force five »

D_H wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:10 pm I guess it's cool but we didn't have any trouble scoring runs last year. Once again if we get in the playoffs will have a huge huge disadvantage at the starting positions of 1 & 2. I dunno..
The Twins will have to trade for a stud#1 is they want to get past the yankees. They can't beat them with the current rotation.
D_H

Post by D_H »

full force five wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:15 pm
D_H wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:10 pm I guess it's cool but we didn't have any trouble scoring runs last year. Once again if we get in the playoffs will have a huge huge disadvantage at the starting positions of 1 & 2. I dunno..
The Twins will have to trade for a stud#1 is they want to get past the yankees. They can't beat them with the current rotation.

Agree :thumbsup:
dennis1

Post by dennis1 »

This should give them the freedom to dip into the prospect pool and get a stud pitcher, be it soon or before the deadline.
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:17 pm The lineup is absolutely nuts...

defense and pitching is likely going to be a major issue.
defense? :thinking:
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

Excited about it.. two things that concern me. How about some pitching? And it looks like the Twins lowballed him.. he wanted over 100mil.. guess it's good no one else was willing to go higher.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Old_Kid

Post by Old_Kid »

Last edited by Old_Kid on Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Physically spent and morally bankrupt in no way to spend a Tuesday. :scooter:
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Hornets wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:10 pm MANY here were doubting Falvey and Lavine on this one......HA!
Nobody doubts them. It's the Pohlad consortium we doubt.

But, I am in shock.

Now, If they can land a decent pitcher in trade, then it's a lock for a real effort this season. If not, they are still treading water.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Hornets wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:10 pm MANY here were doubting Falvey and Lavine on this one......HA!
You just got done posting you don't even go to their games.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:54 pm One thing about Donaldson that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that he has a real strong personality. Pretty much the exact opposite personality of say a Joe Mauer. As such I think he rubs some people the wrong way, but this team has needed a player like this for about the better part of two decades. If they make the playoffs and play the Yankees again he isn't going to be afraid and hopefully it's contagious to the rest of the team.
My thoughts exactly. The guy is a baller with some attitude and fire. A guy I would've loved to have on team in their late 00's run. Mauer, Morneau Cuddly Cuddyer, Scott Baker, Kevin Slowey, Nick Blackburn, Denard Span. Nice guys, but no fire or killer instinct at all.

Clark hates this move I'm guessing.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:24 pm
You just got done posting you don't even go to their games.
This doesn't even make sense. Stop spending all your time being mean and hateful.... :naners:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners: