Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

WTF why can't this organization produce pitching

A place to discuss the MN Twins
D_H

WTF why can't this organization produce pitching

Post by D_H »

Every f****** night we have the disadvantage on the mound it seems. You know ownership is crooked they're not going to spend any money on top notch pitchers but why in the world can't this organization produce top-notch pitching? Something has to be wrong in the scouting department. You'd think we would get lucky once in 25 years and find a stud merely by accident. It's simply astonishing.
Cripes

Re: WTF why can't this organization produce pitching

Post by Cripes »

Santana won 2 Cy Youngs.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

with the injuries right now and how the team is limping around these last couple of weeks i'm almost ready to give the FO/ownership a break for not doing what everybody and their sister knew what they needed to do to be a WS contender-namely trade some of the prospects for some frontline pitching.

the pineda suspension was the icing on the cake for any real realistic hope for post-season success this year.

win the division-see what happens-and then get busy finding some real pitching for this club in the off-season. no excuses-bring a legitimate number one in next year. move berrios back one-and then fill out 3,4 and 5 the best you can.

keep what you got in the BP for the most part too. they're actually shaping up to be a decent group right now.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Cripes wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:23 pm Santana won 2 Cy Youngs.
He wasn’t bad and I believe he was here within the 25 years the op was bitching about
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

FYI the Twins have the 8th best ERA in the majors. I wish they had multiple aces, but overall they are pretty good. now of course, Clev, Hou, TB, and Oak are all ahead of them in the AL (LAD, STL, Cubs from NL) so pitching translates to success for sure, but they are deep just missing that bulldog 20 game winner currently
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Pretty sure Santana wasn't drafted by the Twins but was some sort of Rule 5 playa!

BUT I think the organization DID produce Bert Blyleven and Frank "Sweet Music" Viola!!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

Hornets wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:01 pm
Pretty sure Santana wasn't drafted by the Twins but was some sort of Rule 5 playa!

BUT I think the organization DID produce Bert Blyleven and Frank "Sweet Music" Viola!!
True, but he started in AAA and learned his change-up here.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Santana wasn't drafted by the Twins. Seriously though we have to have the least amount of ace type pitchers drafted in the past 30 years of any team in the major leagues.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

D_H wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:36 pm
Santana wasn't drafted by the Twins. Seriously though we have to have the least amount of ace type pitchers drafted in the past 30 years of any team in the major leagues.
Link?! (you may be right but I want a link dammit!)
D_H

Post by D_H »

Hornets wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:41 pm

Hahaha

I guess I really don't have any concrete proof but it just seems that way. Perhaps I am mistaken?
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

D_H wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:43 pm
Hornets wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:41 pm

Hahaha

I guess I really don't have any concrete proof but it just seems that way. Perhaps I am mistaken?
Would be interesting to see how other teams have fared in this category but I think it's safe to say our organization has failed.....
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

They developed him though. Berrios was an all star this season. But yeah, agreed, few and far between.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Cripes wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:45 pm
They developed him though. Berrios was an all star this season. But yeah, agreed, few and far between.
:beer:
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Because Rick Anderson was the pitching coach for 35 years.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

feekdogg wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:34 pm Because Rick Anderson was the pitching coach for 35 years.
That's a very good point. Plus look at the guys that TR was drafting and signing throughout his run. 89-91 "pitch to contact" guys.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Because they can get pitching by trading Buxton for Snyndegaard. But this front office was to stupid to do what a fucking line cook would've done if put in the same position. Trading an off injured outfielder for a front line starting pitcher, I would've pulled that deal when it was fucking offered.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
Teh DMB

Post by Teh DMB »

I'm actually with DH on this one. Hopefully this changes very quickly.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Qman65 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:16 am Because they can get pitching by trading Buxton for Snyndegaard. But this front office was to stupid to do what a fucking line cook would've done if put in the same position. Trading an off injured outfielder for a front line starting pitcher, I would've pulled that deal when it was fucking offered.
They don't want to pay Thor is the problem with that move. They won't take on guys due big money.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
stout93

Post by stout93 »

I think some of it can be traced back to Terry Ryan and his ridiculous pitch to contact philosophy. He was so far behind the times when it came to pitchers missing bats. He was always trying to find the next Radke...
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

stout93 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:49 pm I think some of it can be traced back to Terry Ryan and his ridiculous pitch to contact philosophy. He was so far behind the times when it came to pitchers missing bats. He was always trying to find the next Radke...
That's not the philosophy now. New scouts, new player development programs, it's a different organization than what it was 10 years ago.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

stout93 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:49 pm I think some of it can be traced back to Terry Ryan and his ridiculous pitch to contact philosophy. He was so far behind the times when it came to pitchers missing bats. He was always trying to find the next Radke...
I think people misunderstand Ryan's philosophy on pitching. I don't believe he thought balls in play were better than Ks. I believe that he knew, rightly, that Ks are expensive. Pitchers who throw hard and strike out a lot of hitters get big contracts. Pitchers who use finesse and location to get outs are cheaper. So, instead of going after smoke throwers, Ryan found starters who wouldn't walk people and tried to win a different way. It was pretty successful for a long time. However, when you draft to the middle instead of for upside, you have way less margin for error. They had trouble developing guys, and starting pitching became really expensive in free agency. That was when they were screwed.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:31 pm
Qman65 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:16 am Because they can get pitching by trading Buxton for Snyndegaard. But this front office was to stupid to do what a fucking line cook would've done if put in the same position. Trading an off injured outfielder for a front line starting pitcher, I would've pulled that deal when it was fucking offered.
They don't want to pay Thor is the problem with that move. They won't take on guys due big money.
They don't want to a 10-8, 4.15 pitcher $100 million plus and give up 2-3 really good players. Another smart move by the new org.
stout93

Post by stout93 »

ForCaleb wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:56 pm
That's not the philosophy now. New scouts, new player development programs, it's a different organization than what it was 10 years ago.
Right, but for 10-15 years it WAS the philosophy and it put us far behind most teams when it came to drafting and developing power arms that miss bats. Ryan was playing catch up in his last days and it still seems we are behind other teams..
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

feekdogg wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:34 pm Because Rick Anderson was the pitching coach for 35 years.
Bingo.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:54 am
Bingo.
This and the obsession with low 90's velocity pitching.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Liam Hendriks is a stud now.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:31 pm
And should they have given Kimbrel the extra year/ money?
How is that working out?
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

:lol: Sooooo true
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

In all seriousness. Either by trade, draft, or free agency we've only had a couple true aces in the last 20+ years. Just in our division alone I can think of a lot of aces over the years....just not on our team. It's a massive fail.