Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official Luis Arraez thread***

A place to discuss the MN Twins
j-one

***Official Luis Arraez thread***

Post by j-one »

This guy deserves his own thread. Good number of ABs this season and batting >.350 with solid glove at numerous positions. Seems like a good kid.

What's his future here? Schoop replacement at 2B next year? He seems too good to just slot in as a utility man. Hard to keep him out of the lineup.

Where should he slot in for AL ROY this year?
RC3

Re: ***Official Luis Arraez thread***

Post by RC3 »

I would be very comfortable with him as the everyday two-sacker. As far as ROY consideration, I would put him maybe in the 5-7 spot after perusing the candidates being talked about.
reddish?

I will have my vengeance.
Vendetta11

Post by Vendetta11 »

I love this kid. His approach at the plate is incredibly disciplined... I have seen a few of you and others make a Tony Gwynn comparison (not sure if that is fair to Arraez, as it is still very early into his career), and the way he gets on base, doesn't strike out, not to mention he's been pretty damn clutch for the Twins as of late - are all good signs of things to come. He's not much of a base stealer though... and he doesn't run all that fast, but goddamn, he can hit. I know watching all these homeruns are nice, but its also nice to have guys like him in the lineup to be on base for a guy like Cruz or Kepler to knock him in.

I for sure think if he continues to play at this high of a level the rest of the way, the Twins should let Schoop walk in the offseason and use that money towards the rotation/bullpen.

Now, my question is - would anyone be willing to part with him in a trade for a decent starting pitcher in the off season (I say "decent", because if it meant getting a top of the line ace, of course all of us would say "yes" to that).
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

Vendetta11 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:06 am the Twins should let Schoop walk in the offseason and use that money towards the rotation/bullpen.

:lol:

are you new here?
Vendetta11

Post by Vendetta11 »

Slim Shady wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:10 am
Vendetta11 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:06 am the Twins should let Schoop walk in the offseason and use that money towards the rotation/bullpen.

:lol:

are you new here?
Must be one of those "same ol cheap Pohlads" Twins fans.

No need to be a ****. Just stating the obvious.
j-one

Post by j-one »

We have some serious financial decisions to make on Berrios, Sano, Buxton, Rosario, etc. Need to have some cheap contracts around to keep the key guys around. I'd keep Arraez - play him primarily at 2B next year and he can also have utility value if Marwin moves on in a year. I think the kid is going to keep hitting, maybe not at the Tony Gwynn level but someone you need to keep.

Hopefully the farm system can send up a couple more kids next year.
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

Vendetta11 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:16 am

Must be one of those "same ol cheap Pohlads" Twins fans.

yep
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

3rd base next season.... Sano to first. Cron gets a huge contract somewhere. Schoop is prob gone too, but they have a couple good defensive options for 2nd including minor league.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

minnemike wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:12 pm 3rd base next season.... Sano to first. Cron gets a huge contract somewhere. Schoop is prob gone too, but they have a couple good defensive options for 2nd including minor league.
Cron is still arbitration eligible one more year. He'll get a nice pay bump, but if you're going to get rid of him, at least try to trade him for something.
Falen's Boyfriend

Post by Falen's Boyfriend »

LOVE him!
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:03 pm
minnemike wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:12 pm 3rd base next season.... Sano to first. Cron gets a huge contract somewhere. Schoop is prob gone too, but they have a couple good defensive options for 2nd including minor league.
Cron is still arbitration eligible one more year. He'll get a nice pay bump, but if you're going to get rid of him, at least try to trade him for something.
My worry is that I'm sure Tampa explored his trade market before non-tendering him last winter and didn't find any interest. Maybe another good season to back up his nice 2018 will change that, but I still don't think there'll be much of a demand for him in trade talks. I think he's your starting 1B next year, and then Sano takes that spot to start 2021.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

I remember someone mentioning him in the minor league thread, and saying he is being groomed to be the super utility guy...then BOOM! like a day or two later he was with the big club playing multiple positions, and getting multiple hits every night.
Leon

Post by Leon »

someone has to go when Buxton, Austidillo and Cruz return

out = Cave will be optioned , any bullpen pitcher will be optioned and Schoop will be DFA
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:36 pm I remember someone mentioning him in the minor league thread, and saying he is being groomed to be the super utility guy...then BOOM! like a day or two later he was with the big club playing multiple positions, and getting multiple hits every night.
Hey I think that was me! Didn’t know they would call him up so fast though (he skipped AAA). He is really fun to watch at the plate.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Leon wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:55 pm someone has to go when Buxton, Austidillo and Cruz return

out = Cave will be optioned , any bullpen pitcher will be optioned and Schoop will be DFA
Once again Leon appears like a ninja.....and then he's gone!! :thumbsup:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
D_B_U

Post by D_B_U »

Leon wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:55 pm someone has to go when Buxton, Austidillo and Cruz return

Willians is out till September, so I dont think that would be an issue.

I highly doubt they DFA Schoop even though he hasnt been great.

Cave will leave for Buxton.
and either a mysterious IL trip to make room for Cruz or they go down to 12 pitchers.

Cody Stashak just got sent down for Sam Dyson.

While if they had to do something I would be ok with Schoop being the guy moved, I just dont think they will. Adrianza is only other guy and no idea if he has options.

Probably play musical chairs with relievers until the rosters expand.
j-one

Post by j-one »

.355/.425/.468

ROY and/or MVP?
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

j-one wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:36 am .355/.425/.468

ROY and/or MVP?
Vlad Jr will win ROY in the AL (possibly Brandon Lowe or Yordan Alverez)

Tatis Jr. Or Pete Alonzo in the NL

Arraez has a great OBP and BA, but his run production is not up to snuff. He only has a 1.3 WAR.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

Small Hands wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:11 pm

ROY and/or MVP?

Arraez has a great OBP and BA, but his run production is not up to snuff. He only has a 1.3 WAR.
Alvarez has been WAY better than Guerrero. You don't win the ROY for having a good HR Derby. Alvarez has 0.5 more WAR in 41 fewer games. He's probably going to be around 80-90 games played at the end of the year, which is light, but if he slashes .300/.400/.600 and leads all AL rookies in HR and RBI, it's not going to matter.

I agree with your NL picks, but would add Soroka as a dark horse. He's been really, really good, and his team is going to play in October, where Alonzo and Tatis may not. However, Alonso looks like he's going to hit 50 dingers, and that is going to equal a ROY, most likely.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

beetlebum71 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:33 pm
Small Hands wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:11 pm

ROY and/or MVP?

Alvarez has been WAY better than Guerrero. You don't win the ROY for having a good HR Derby. Alvarez has 0.5 more WAR in 41 fewer games. He's probably going to be around 80-90 games played at the end of the year, which is light, but if he slashes .300/.400/.600 and leads all AL rookies in HR and RBI, it's not going to matter.

I agree with your NL picks, but would add Soroka as a dark horse. He's been really, really good, and his team is going to play in October, where Alonzo and Tatis may not. However, Alonso looks like he's going to hit 50 dingers, and that is going to equal a ROY, most likely.

Soroka has been solid this year, but his low strikeout/9 totals may hurt him in voting. Tatis could legitimately be a 30/30 guy with .300+ avg. as a rookie. He's also superior in the field, but chicks do dig the long ball. I could see Alonzo winning also. No doubt Alverez has been one of the best hitters in baseball over the last couple months, but Vlad started off really slow. He has been very good in the second half of the season. Any of the 3 I listed could win it IMO. We shall see.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

Arraez needs to take Polanco's spot in the order for starters.
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

Bigger surprise: What Arraez has done this season or the fact Escobar is 2nd in the NL in RBI and on a hefty HR pace as well? I'm a fan of both and not trying to stir any pot. For the record would probably rather have Arraez for cheap for the next 6 years and feel Escobar had to be dealt at the deadline last year.
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

Hitting 2nd tonight.
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

bombers3shooter wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:47 pm Bigger surprise: What Arraez has done this season or the fact Escobar is 2nd in the NL in RBI and on a hefty HR pace as well? I'm a fan of both and not trying to stir any pot. For the record would probably rather have Arraez for cheap for the next 6 years and feel Escobar had to be dealt at the deadline last year.
EE and Arraez have nothing to do with each other.

comparing Escobar to Schoop or Marwin makes sense, as we signed them "instead" (EE had signed with AZ immediately in October...wish we wouldn't have traded him at all)
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

minnemike wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:42 pm Arraez needs to take Polanco's spot in the order for starters.
I’m not ready for that yet, but I agree Polonco needs a couple days off a week.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

ForCaleb wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:22 pm
minnemike wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:42 pm Arraez needs to take Polanco's spot in the order for starters.
I’m not ready for that yet, but I agree Polonco needs a couple days off a week.
He basically did last night with Polanco batting 3rd. Not saying sit Polanco other than more rest needed, but he's producing right now more like a middle bottom of the order guy. Arraez in front of him might help him get better pitches to hit. He's just grinding too hard with no one on base.
j-one

Post by j-one »

Bump for Luis
In the battle for the batting title this year. I find it interesting in looking at his stats compared to Rod Carew. Other than the SBs, tracking fairly close - similar BB/SO ratio. Doesn't really have a defensive position where he excels (same for Rodney)

https://stathead.com/baseball/player-co ... &request=1
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Might be the one bright spot when this season is all said and done...really hope he gets the batting title!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

Considering he has ZERO protection (it’s either .220 hitting buck who nobody is scared of after his first couple weeks, clutchless correa who can’t get a hit with arraez on base to save his life, or max “how about I hit it right into the shift again” Kepler behind him it’s amazing he even gets a ball in the zone.

He’s striking out a lot (for him) and I think forcing it a bit with the garbage down the lineup, he would probably be at .340+ still with any support.
j-one

Post by j-one »

Congrats to Luis on the 2022 AL batting championship! He was one of the few bright spots to an otherwise disappointing year.