Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

David Ortiz shot in the Dominican Republic

A place to discuss the MN Twins
bubu dubu.

Re: David Ortiz shot in the Dominican Republic

Post by bubu dubu. »

Man. Hasnt there been similar stories of former MLB players in these Latin countries going home, and getting kidnapped, or shot, or having family members kidnapped? I wonder if its even worth the risk for some of these guys to go home.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Video, Ortiz is at the top, center in white

Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

So if I'm getting this right, there was one shooter and one driver and they both caught epic beatdowns by the crowd. The shooter sucked by the way, he was 10 feet away from him and got him once in the lower back.

I'm just wondering why?

Who would want to take out Big Papi? The dude is a genuinely good ambassador to the game and he's that country's biggest sports star by a wide margin.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:55 pm Man. Hasnt there been similar stories of former MLB players in these Latin countries going home, and getting kidnapped, or shot, or having family members kidnapped? I wonder if its even worth the risk for some of these guys to go home.
Wilson Ramos got kidnapped. Henry Blanco's brother was kidnapped and murdered. Elias Diaz's mother was kidnapped. It's a bigger problem in Venezuela than the Dominican, but who know why someone would shoot Ortiz?
Last edited by feekdogg on Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:17 am So if I'm getting this right, there was one shooter and one driver and they both caught epic beatdowns by the crowd. The shooter sucked by the way, he was 10 feet away from him and got him once in the lower back.

I'm just wondering why?

Who would want to take out Big Papi? The dude is a genuinely good ambassador to the game and he's that country's biggest sports star by a wide margin.
a gutshot wound from that close can be devastating-ripping up the organs. i hope there aren't any complications and that he wasn't ripped up too bad.

Ortiz was ambushed by a man who got off a motorcycle, approached him and shot him in the back at near-point-blank range just before 9 p.m. local time.

Ortiz was shot in the lower back, and the bullet exited through his stomach, according to ESPN. The 43-year-old reportedly told the emergency room doctor, “Please don’t let me die, I’m a good man,” before going into surgery.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

JigglyPuff

Post by JigglyPuff »

whoopty doo. dozens of people are shot and KILLED in Chicago every week, but yet Ortiz makes the headlines.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Lol

That dude isn't going to last very long in prison
Straight Edge Raven

Post by Straight Edge Raven »

Red Sox are sending the team plane to DR to pick up Ortiz and bring him to Boston for treatment. He was operated on for six hours and doctors removed part of his intestines and colon, as well as his gallbladder. Also suffered liver damage.
Slava Ukraini
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Supposedly Ortiz hit was ordered by a drug lord as Papi was nailing his wife
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

JigglyPuff wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:14 pm whoopty doo. dozens of people are shot and KILLED in Chicago every week, but yet Ortiz makes the headlines.
But they aren't Ryne Sandberg..
Miley Cyrus

Post by Miley Cyrus »

Reminds me of the Carl Pavano extortion.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

I'm guess an extortion attempt was made that he wasn't exactly willing to cooperate on. He'll take the next one more seriously.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Sid Hartman wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:05 pm Supposedly Ortiz hit was ordered by a drug lord as Papi was nailing his wife
Dominican drug lords clearly aren't on the level of the mafia if they can't get a guy that can even hit him with a shot in a vital organ from 10 feet away.

That story seems like complete bullshit to me.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:14 pm I'm guess an extortion attempt was made that he wasn't exactly willing to cooperate on. He'll take the next one more seriously.
Where the F were his body guards if there was that kind of threat? You'd think he'd have 2 behind him and 1 in front of him if he's in that kind of trouble.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Surprised no one here has blamed Terry Ryan for this.... :P
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

it'll take awhile for the true story to come out on this i think.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Hornets wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:10 am Surprised no one here has blamed Terry Ryan for this.... :P
Ortiz comes out of surgery holding a "Fuck You Tom Kelly" sign.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

PS boys, if a 19 year old me was the GM of the Twins, we'd have never given up on Big Papi. I said to my friends at the time: "If this guy ever stays healthy, he'll be a stud." They all said I was crazy and I still rub it in their faces.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:18 pm
Hornets wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:10 am Surprised no one here has blamed Terry Ryan for this.... :P
Ortiz comes out of surgery holding a "Fuck You Tom Kelly" sign.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was wondering how long it would take him to use the opportunity to take a dig at the Twins.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:38 pm PS boys, if a 19 year old me was the GM of the Twins, we'd have never given up on Big Papi. I said to my friends at the time: "If this guy ever stays healthy, he'll be a stud." They all said I was crazy and I still rub it in their faces.
It's fair to wonder what would have been if they Twins haden't cut him loose when they did. Personally, I'm not sure it would have amounted to much since it's virtually a verifiable fact that his career was greatly enhanced the day he entered a Red Sox clubhouse that was littered with steroids. Roids would have also helped curtail the injuries that plagued him as a Twin. Having said that, the Twins made a mistake, but I doubt he's a HOF if he had remained in MN. That's just my opinion and of course we will never really know either way.

On a related note, is anyone else as bothered as I am that Ortiz is a proven steroid user and has not only never been vilified for it (like almost all of the others), but has never even been asked to or made a public apology for it?
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:00 pm
Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:38 pm PS boys, if a 19 year old me was the GM of the Twins, we'd have never given up on Big Papi. I said to my friends at the time: "If this guy ever stays healthy, he'll be a stud." They all said I was crazy and I still rub it in their faces.
It's fair to wonder what would have been if they Twins haden't cut him loose when they did. Personally, I'm not sure it would have amounted to much since it's virtually a verifiable fact that his career was greatly enhanced the day he entered a Red Sox clubhouse that was littered with steroids. Roids would have also helped curtail the injuries that plagued him as a Twin. Having said that, the Twins made a mistake, but I doubt he's a HOF if he had remained in MN. That's just my opinion and of course we will never really know either way.

On a related note, is anyone else as bothered as I am that Ortiz is a proven steroid user and has not only never been vilified for it (like almost all of the others), but has never even been asked to or made a public apology for it?
One reason he is not a HOFer on the Twins is he isn't in position to be one of the greatest post season players ever.

He would of hardly seen the playoffs.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:04 pm

One reason he is not a HOFer on the Twins is he isn't in position to be one of the greatest post season players ever.

Probably 0fer for his career just like Mauer. That said, Mauer did play in 10 playoff games (I think?) and went to the clubhouse in every last one of them while the other team (usually the Yankees) were shaking hands in the infield.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

I wasn't 19 at the time but I said the same thing, although I got the feeling they didn't so much "give up on him" as I think they were never going to be able to contain him. You just know they were trying to reign him in and he wasn't going to have any of that. Even Terry Ryan admitted since it was a very bad baseball decision.

That 2002 team had a lot of talent and had they kept Ortiz I don't think they become the complete playoff duds there were.

http://www.startribune.com/at-40-and-ne ... 372810781/
Terry Ryan, the Twins general manager in 2002 and now, has been asked the Ortiz question by any number of reporters this spring — and it figures to continue through Big Papi’s final season.

“Anyone who says it was a financial decision is dead wrong,” Ryan said. “It was a very bad baseball decision. We thought we had better options. We were wrong in a big way.

“It’s on me, nobody else. I’m the general manager. We don’t release big-league players without the general manager’s approval.”

Thirteen seasons later, with 445 home runs and 1,053 RBI in his Boston regular seasons, and with all of his postseason heroics, there’s still considerable hurt with Ortiz when he starts talking about his years going up and down in the Twins organization.

“Baseball is a tough game,” Ortiz said. “When it’s, ‘He can’t do this, he can’t do that, I’m not going to talk to him for a week, he has to change his game’ ... it’s a lot tougher.

“And I still had 20 [home runs] and 75 [RBI] in 400 at-bats in my last year. When I got 550 or 600 at-bats, what was it going to be? Thirty and 100, for sure.”

Ortiz paused and shook his head over another bad Twins memory from 1999: “I was in Triple-A in Salt Lake, hammerin’, and every team that we played, some player who had been in the big leagues would say, ‘David, what are you doing here? The Twins can’t score runs, they don’t have power, you’re exactly what they need.’

“Nobody could understand.”

Especially Ortiz, then 23 and hitting 30 home runs and driving in 110 in Salt Lake City, and waiting until mid-September to play in 10 games for the feeble Twins.

“Terry Ryan doesn’t feel bad just because he let me go,” Ortiz said. “He feels bad because he also knows the Twins treated me bad.”

He looked at the reporters and said: “Because I was a good kid.”
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:04 pm

Those teams were pretty good, but aside from Hunter and Koskie, they were terrified of the Yankees. Ortiz proved he wasn't afraid of them in Boston and I think that would have had a trickle-down effect on the rest of the team.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Unbelievable..

Dominican police: Ortiz was targeted for less than $8K
https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1785142
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Steroids or not he hit 541 home runs. Steroids don't explain that away.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

jakazz30 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:17 pm Unbelievable..

Dominican police: Ortiz was targeted for less than $8K
https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1785142
If watching crime documentaries on Investigation Discovery has taught me anything, 8k for an assassination is actually really high.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

That was one shitty assassin.

Can't finish him off at point blank.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z