Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Kimbrel signs with Cubs...Cheap Pohlad’s!

A place to discuss the MN Twins
feekdogg

Re: Kimbrel signs with Cubs...Cheap Pohlad’s!

Post by feekdogg »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:38 pm Twins weren't even second to landing Kimbrel. lol
Must have been Boston. They know him as well as any team and are in dire need of bullpen help, right?
Bon Scott

Post by Bon Scott »

We want an owner not a cheapskate boner.

Trump will forever be known as Potus who was so full of shit that country ran out of Toilet Paper.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

WE WANT A PITCHER NOT A BELLY ITCHER!
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

feekdogg wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:07 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:38 pm Twins weren't even second to landing Kimbrel. lol
Must have been Boston. They know him as well as any team and are in dire need of bullpen help, right?
It was the Rays.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

The Replacements wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:40 pm
It was the Rays.
Really? Huh. I wonder why Boston didn't go after him really hard.
The Replacements

feekdogg wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:48 pm

It was the Rays.
They know him the best and his postseason caused a lot of anxiety in Boston. I'm glad the Twins didn't sign him and I'm looking forward to what they do now. As a Cubs fan, I'm nervous this will be another bad FA signing by Theo.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:55 pm
The Rays and Cubs were the only 2 teams to give him 3 years.
Which is essentially 2.5
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

The Replacements wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:21 pm

It was the Rays.
They know him the best and his postseason caused a lot of anxiety in Boston. I'm glad the Twins didn't sign him and I'm looking forward to what they do now. As a Cubs fan, I'm nervous this will be another bad FA signing by Theo.
Yeah, I was being sarcastic. The last thing I'd do if I was running a franchise would be to spend a bunch of money on a guy who plays .05% of innings through a season.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Twins offered 2 years but wouldn't go to 3.
Herky

Post by Herky »

It was the Rays.
He has a track record for this and big deals. Edwin Jackson, Jason Heyward, and Yu Darvish all stick out.
The Replacements

Herky wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:36 pm

He has a track record for this and big deals. Edwin Jackson, Jason Heyward, and Yu Darvish all stick out.
You forgot Brandon Morrow and Tyler Chatwood. Jon Lester is his best signing along with Zobrist.
salamander

Post by salamander »

The Replacements wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:58 am
salamander wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:48 am
Ask Not wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:44 am

I know I'm opening myself up here butt ...
They could get a Ryan Pressly-type and another strong 8th inning guy for 2nd tier prospects at a combined 10 mil with one still under contract next year. I'd still rather have that than 3/$45M for Kimbrel. There's not a guy on this team that isn't in line for a raise right now, that extra 5-8M is going to matter.
I think most people would rather have that. It's just that no one trusts that we'll go after that. We were interested in Kimbrel and limped into negotiations with a weak offer. That's all a Pohlad owned team will ever do.
You're just making up stories now. They assigned a value to Kimbrel and stuck with it. No one here knows if Kimbrel would have signed with the Twins with a larger offer. If Kimbrel was truly looked at as great, he never would have lasted until June.
It was a very beatable offer and the Twins wanted him by their own admission.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

It was the Rays.
They offered him $18 mill for this year.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:53 pm

It was the Rays.
They did that knowing he'd reject it to try and get the compensatory pick.
The Replacements

It was the Rays.
They made him an offer they knew he would refuse. :roll:
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

The Replacements wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:59 pm

seems strangely familiar
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

The more I think about this the more pissed off I am. Same shit as 2010 and Cliff Lee except we didn't need to give up anything except money. They drag their feet and say they tried.

Sidenote: I wish the band was back together to argue about this:

Me, Ewen, Metaxa, Sr. Smoke

VS

Shack, TBGH, Max Power.

Good times for awhile at least.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:48 pm The more I think about this the more pissed off I am. Same shit as 2010 and Cliff Lee except we didn't need to give up anything except money. They drag their feet and say they tried.

VS

Shack, TBGH, Max Power.

Don't forget that bitch Clark, although I'm sure you only included guys with an IQ above Gump.

I miss moderating those battles. I had to balance my extreme love for the team vs. my extreme hate about how they operated.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:29 pm
whiskerbiscuit wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:48 pm The more I think about this the more pissed off I am. Same shit as 2010 and Cliff Lee except we didn't need to give up anything except money. They drag their feet and say they tried.

VS

Shack, TBGH, Max Power.

Don't forget that bitch Clark, although I'm sure you only included guys with an IQ above Gump.

I miss moderating those battles. I had to balance my extreme love for the team vs. my extreme hate about how they operated.
Yea fuck Clark.

It was great banter for awhile. Then it became nothing but Ewen's incessant bitching and Shack'd incessant bitching about the incessant bitching.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

Bon Scott wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:18 pm We want an owner not a cheapskate boner.

Might not be the best chant. Cheapie boners are the best
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

The Replacements wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:56 am Potential trade options (no particular order):

1. Shane Greene, RHP, Detroit Tigers
2. Ken Giles, RHP, Toronto Blue Jays
3. Blake Treinen, RHP, Oakland Athletics
4. Will Smith, LHP, San Francisco Giants
5. Sean Doolittle, LHP, Washington Nationals
6. Alex Colome, RHP, Chicago White Sox
7. Raisel Iglesias, RHP, Cincinnati Reds

More options will open up before July 31st, but you can see the Twins will have a lot of work to do before the deadline.
I'd take any of those guys. Greene would be great, but I don't see Detroilet trading within the division. Giles would also be amazing. I'm just concerned with the fact that most of the contenders have need at RP. It could be a bidding war.
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

VS

Shack, TBGH, Max Power.

Don't forget Mitch_Hedbergs_Adopted_Son and Monster Joe's Truck n Tow!
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

they have been doing it for years, why are you shocked?
The Replacements

Slim Shady wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:29 am
they have been doing it for years, why are you shocked?
I was referring to the Red Sox offer. They need bullpen help more than the Twins and they passed on Kimbrel. Also, they would not lose a draft pick if they signed him. Time will tell, but I'm glad the Twins dodged this bullet.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

this situation is where the FO really needs to earn it's money. you're a couple of vital pieces away from making a legitimate push to a WS. they have to give rocco those pieces. the pohlad's have already signed off on improving the team-now it's up to the FO to make the right moves.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:48 am the pohlad's have already signed off on improving the team-
It's possible that's only for public consumption. More likely there is a set ceiling on how much they can spend / prospects they can trade and it would be no surprise that the assets are not a blank check type and capped severely. That would make Pohlad sense anyways.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

minnemike wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:49 pm
weimy froob wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:48 am the pohlad's have already signed off on improving the team-
It's possible that's only for public consumption. More likely there is a set ceiling on how much they can spend / prospects they can trade and it would be no surprise that the assets are not a blank check type and capped severely. That would make Pohlad sense anyways.
We have two "Hot shot" young guy's in charge looking to stamp their name into the MLB landscape. They are going to be really frustrated when they find out the ownership couldn't care about winning.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
The Replacements

minnemike wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:49 pm
My bet would be the FO is given an annual budget. The FO has to determine current costs along with future costs before making any long term deals. What does that 3rd year of Kimbrel cost in terms of other players or options. If you can sign Buxton to a long term contract by passing on Kimbrel, then it's a good move IMO. You potentially lose Gibson and Odorizzi next year without any clear cut replacements. How does that factor in? We have to realize the Twins ownership will only allow their payroll to be league average. Bitch all you want but that's where we are.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

The Replacements wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:34 pm We have to realize the Twins ownership will only allow their payroll to be league average. Bitch all you want but that's where we are.
That in a nutshell is the problem. It's a loser's mentality. I dont mind going waaaay below league average in down rebuilding years, but for fucks sake, strike while the iron is hot and its NEVER been hotter than it is right now. Fuck future issues when you have a chance (there are no future issues with single season money). Fuck a set salary cap , when you have a real fucking legit chance for the first time in over a decade.
The Replacements

minnemike wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:12 pm
The Replacements wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:34 pm We have to realize the Twins ownership will only allow their payroll to be league average. Bitch all you want but that's where we are.
That in a nutshell is the problem. It's a loser's mentality. I dont mind going waaaay below league average in down rebuilding years, but for fucks sake, strike while the iron is hot and its NEVER been hotter than it is right now. Fuck future issues when you have a chance (there are no future issues with single season money). Fuck a set salary cap , when you have a real fucking legit chance for the first time in over a decade.
I believe the Pohlad's made their money in banking. My wife works in operations for an investment bank and the stories she tells me about how some bankers, who make really good money, will fight over every last cent.