Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Twins trade deadline Chat

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Small Hands

Re: Twins trade deadline Chat

Post by Small Hands »

DC4MVP wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:10 pm
jakazz30 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:16 pm
How many posters here bitch about Kyle Gibson?
He is better than Bumgarner in every category.

And now Bumgarner is better in every category....

So there we have it....not only is Bumgarner the better pitching physically, but also statistically.

Bum > Gib
Beat me to it.

The Mad Bum hate in here is beyond ridiculous.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

mglviks wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:58 pm
The Replacements wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:09 am Possible in house call ups that may help the bullpen:

- Jake Reed (Triple AAA Rochester)
- Jorge Alcala - big fastball and good strikeout numbers
- Jordan Balazovic - really good this year but may not want to start the clock on him just yet
- Brusdar Graterol - not sure he's pitched lately but if healthy he could help

Anyone more familiar with the system have better choices? A lot of these top guys are young and inexperienced.
RHP Sean Poppen and Ryan Mason both have thrown well out of the pen this year.

Neither on the 40 man.
Called the Poppen call up. :thumbsup: To me!
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

So there we have it....not only is Bumgarner the better pitching physically, but also statistically.

Bum > Gib
Go buy yourself a cookie!!!!

(Missing the point chat)
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

jakazz30 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:48 pm

Bum > Gib

(Missing the point chat)
No need to get snarky, kiddo.

You lost to a vastly superior baseball mind.

Take the L and try again next time! :thumbsup:
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

DC4MVP wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:53 pm

Bum > Gib

(Missing the point chat)

Yea......
:zzz:
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

jakazz30 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:59 pm
DC4MVP wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:53 pm

(Missing the point chat)

Yea......
:zzz:
Just fucking with ya....
salamander

Post by salamander »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:29 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:26 pm
Small Hands wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:25 pm

I'll believe it when I see it. They've never shown me that they are willing to take a big risk to win a pennant. Now would be the time to do it.
You keep repeating this narrative yet the Twins have never been a buyer at the deadline with this set of executives, coaches, etc. This doesn't mean they'll make a move to satisfy you, but it's like saying in 2004 the Red Sox will never win another World Series.
They had a chance to be buyers two seasons ago, and decided to be sellers instead. Remember that? The players were actually pissed about it. We even made the WC that year. They Traded Kintzler for a low A guy, international slot money, and Garcia for Enns and Little. I will continue to bring this narrative until they bring in some serious talent. You don't have to agree with me. I'm sick of the Twins being content with just making the playoffs. Teams like NYY, BOS, LAD, etc... are trying to win championships. They always make trades at the deadline to ensure they have a chance. That's why they're in the conversation every year.
Speaking of which, what did we use tjat international slot money on?
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:25 pm

I'll believe it when I see it. They've never shown me that they are willing to take a big risk to win a pennant. Now would be the time to do it.
You keep repeating this narrative yet the Twins have never been a buyer at the deadline with this set of executives, coaches, etc. This doesn't mean they'll make a move to satisfy you, but it's like saying in 2004 the Red Sox will never win another World Series.
They had a chance to be buyers two seasons ago, and decided to be sellers instead. Remember that? The players were actually pissed about it. We even made the WC that year. They Traded Kintzler for a low A guy, international slot money, and Garcia for Enns and Little. I will continue to bring this narrative until they bring in some serious talent. You don't have to agree with me. I'm sick of the Twins being content with just making the playoffs. Teams like NYY, BOS, LAD, etc... are trying to win championships. They always make trades at the deadline to ensure they have a chance. That's why they're in the conversation every year.
This team compared to the team two years ago are significantly different, from an offensive and pitching standpoint. The front office will get some pitching help soon. I truly believe that.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

if you're going to make that deal i'd think this would be a good week to do it. make a statement and bring in a big-time arm!
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

salamander wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:25 pm

Twins signed Oscar Corporan, 18 year old, 6’5” RHP. Very little information on him other than the signing.
salamander

Post by salamander »

The Replacements wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:38 am

Twins signed Oscar Corporan, 18 year old, 6’5” RHP. Very little information on him other than the signing.
OK. I mean, he's a big dude so I would guess he's got some velocity. It's just something to lock away until a later date I suppose.
Thank you for the info.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
The Replacements

salamander wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:52 am

OK. I mean, he's a big dude so I would guess he's got some velocity. It's just something to lock away until a later date I suppose.
Thank you for the info.
I think they had $500,000 left so not sure this is a big signing. Hard to find out any information.
salamander

Post by salamander »

The Replacements wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:20 am
salamander wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:52 am

Thank you for the info.
I think they had $500,000 left so not sure this is a big signing. Hard to find out any information.
Gotcha.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Luis Arraez would have to fetch something nice, no?

Young guy who can play multiple positions, who has proven he can hit in the MLB, and whichever team he ends up with, they have numerous years of control
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:04 pm Luis Arraez would have to fetch something nice, no?

Young guy who can play multiple positions, who has proven he can hit in the MLB, and whichever team he ends up with, they have numerous years of control
Lavelle was going a little pie in the sky today and saying Arraez and a prospect like Wander Javier for both Bumgarner and Will Smith.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:04 pm Luis Arraez would have to fetch something nice, no?

Probably....with the extended BPs now a utility guy has value.
So would Gonzalez...
He has a 2nd year left on his contract in 2020..($9M)
but if that "cheap ass, worst owner in sports" signed off on that it must be a bargain.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

jakazz30 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:27 pm

So would Gonzalez...
but if that "cheap ass, worst owner in sports" signed off on that it must be a bargain.
If Arraez or Gonzalves were traded for quality BP help, I'm pretty sure it would be appreciated by most fans.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:33 pm

So would Gonzalez...
If Arraez or Gonzalves were traded for quality BP help, I'm pretty sure it would be appreciated by most fans.

Not disagreeing with you...
just pointing out the amount they paid for Gonzalez.

2 years...$21M..
Utility player.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

He appears to be MLB ready and Schoop is only under contract for this year. If it can be avoided, I think they'd prefer Arraez to be the 2B next year.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:53 pm

He appears to be MLB ready and Schoop is only under contract for this year. If it can be avoided, I think they'd prefer Arraez to be the 2B next year.
I'm sure they would rather have him too. He seems to fit the Falvine model of playing numerous positions too. But if you want to improve the team, you cant expect to improve much if you are only willing to part with the players you don't want.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

bubu dubu. wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:35 pm
feekdogg wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:53 pm

I'm sure they would rather have him too. He seems to fit the Falvine model of playing numerous positions too. But if you want to improve the team, you cant expect to improve much if you are only willing to part with the players you don't want.
Right. I'm just saying that if Arraez is asked about, they'd probably try to steer the other team to Javier or Gordon, but I don't think Arraez is untouchable by any means.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Guys this is Twins they aren’t going to do anything meaningful at deadline...we will get the same line oh we tried but we didn’t want to meet their asking price. The Pohlads are happy the sheep are coming to park and will gladly pocket the extra new found $ without putting it back into the product. They had a chance to burry the Indians and they continue to trot out pitchers regressing the the mean and a bullpen who I don’t trust a single one but Rogers out there. You played with fire you didn’t get burned early but the dumpster fire is starting to smolder and the Calvary ain’t coming with this cheap ass ownership (whoops not allowed to say owner anymore as it’s offends people) group running this team
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
salamander

Post by salamander »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:19 pm

Lavelle was going a little pie in the sky today and saying Arraez and a prospect like Wander Javier for both Bumgarner and Will Smith.
Oh my lord. I'd guess we'd have to give them something else but I'd love that trade.
salamander

Post by salamander »

jakazz30 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:51 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:33 pm

So would Gonzalez...

Not disagreeing with you...
just pointing out the amount they paid for Gonzalez.

2 years...$21M..
Utility player.
And STILL below league average salary.
D_B_U

Post by D_B_U »

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/ ... dline.html

Who from this list would actually interest you guys?

Ill take a crack:

SP:
Madison Bumgarner- Giants
Marcus Stroman- Blue Jays

I would love Bumgarner. He can be a big time help and he has played in big games. We will be fighting with the Yankees for him so dont like our chances. Stroman would be great if he can figure it out. He would be a longer term option to pair with our staff.

RP:
Will Smith- Giants
Kirby Yates- Padres
Tony Watson- Giants
Jake Diekman- Royals
Sam Dyson- Giants
Shane Greene- Tigers
Raisel Iglesias- Reds
Felipe Vazquez- Pirates

Ideally you add a true closer and another lefty. You have to overpay for these guys, so my hope would be to find a bargain guy and then a big splash. Yes, it will cost prospects but well worth it.

Position players:
Whit Merrifield- Utility/ Royals- I highly doubt we would pay the price tag for this guy seeing we have this in Marwin Gonzalez, but who knows with injuries. Merrifield would be a great lead off hitter and someone who can give guys a breather. Doubt it happens and not even sure if it would need to, but well worth a call.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Jack Morris on Danny B today. Danny starts talking about the Cody Allen move, and how he likes it as a low risk move, but states that it cannot be "the move," and that they need to add some quality guy. He asks Jack if he wouldn't be surprised if they don't make a big move.

Jack says something along the lines of..."no, not really. History with this team shows that they won't do that. They are a team that promotes from within."

Basically stating what a lot of us here think.

He did not state it as a negative though, which I found interesting (or maybe just being in the broadcast booth now, he has to be positive?)...it seemed he was negative at first, but then went on to say that more and more teams are doing what the Twins do, which is promote from within, and address needs in the offseason. Said that this team has enough talent to go deep into the playoffs, and they just need to stay the course.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:33 pm Jack Morris on Danny B today. Danny starts talking about the Cody Allen move, and how he likes it as a low risk move, but states that it cannot be "the move," and that they need to add some quality guy. He asks Jack if he wouldn't be surprised if they don't make a big move.

Jack says something along the lines of..."no, not really. History with this team shows that they won't do that. They are a team that promotes from within."

He did not state it as a negative though, which I found interesting (or maybe just being in the broadcast booth now, he has to be positive?)...it seemed he was negative at first, but then went on to say that more and more teams are doing what the Twins do, which is promote from within, and address needs in the offseason. Said that this team has enough talent to go deep into the playoffs, and they just need to stay the course.
i don't like that scenario and i'm betting jack's wrong on it. maybe i'm wrong-but i believe the FO wants to make a couple of significant additions before the deadline passes.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

It's pretty short-sighted to assume that they won't make a move just because "The Twins don't do that."

Firing Terry Ryan and bringing in a couple nerds to replace him, is that something the Twins do?

Hiring a manager with no previous ties to the organization, is that something the Twins do?
The Replacements

weimy froob wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:51 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:33 pm Jack Morris on Danny B today. Danny starts talking about the Cody Allen move, and how he likes it as a low risk move, but states that it cannot be "the move," and that they need to add some quality guy. He asks Jack if he wouldn't be surprised if they don't make a big move.

i don't like that scenario and i'm betting jack's wrong on it. maybe i'm wrong-but i believe the FO wants to make a couple of significant additions before the deadline passes.
I think he is wrong for a few reasons

1. They have to trade quite a few prospects or they will need to either put them on the 40 roster or expose them to the rule 5 draft
2. Their current payroll is less than last year which should leave them some money to take on. Yes, the Pohlads are cheap and that may be why the FO wasn't more active in the offseason in spending up to their limit
3. This is a historically good Twins team. They could win more games than any other Twins team in franchise history.
4. They still have payroll flexibility in the next few years
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »