Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Twins trade deadline Chat

A place to discuss the MN Twins
jffl_commish

Re: Twins trade deadline Chat

Post by jffl_commish »

Minor pieces, never a big splash. The Pohlad way.
Let's get Tropical
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

jffl_commish wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:56 am Minor pieces, never a big splash. The Pohlad way.
The biggest need was bullpen and they were able to land the 2 best relief pitchers traded. (Analytically speaking)
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

The Replacements wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:28 am
jffl_commish wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:56 am Minor pieces, never a big splash. The Pohlad way.
The biggest need was bullpen and they were able to land the 2 best relief pitchers traded. (Analytically speaking)
Shane Green?
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:54 am
boxter432 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:33 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:13 pm Seems a lot of people who are defending the Twins love to point out the Yankees...

"well yeah, but the Yankees..."

Yankees can't really make moves right now, they have nothing to give up. There was rumors that they were floating around Miguel Andujar because of this.
They have multiple top 100 assets as well.
Tell me what moves you wanted, that other teams made. Grienke? That’s about it. Nothing else is something thenTwins were pursuing. Almost none of the expected players to be traded were traded. The middle of the road teams just weren’t sellers this year. I’m not “defending” the twins, I’m trying to talk through what happened instead of just ranting about the front office for no reason.
I'm also not ranting...

To answer some moves I would have liked

Stroman...Keuchel...Kimbrel...Greene...Martin...

I don't know, those are just some names that were signed or traded. Twins could've been in on them, but didn't pull the trigger.

There's probably also numerous guys that could have been had that werent moved. I'm not an insider, so I don't know who those guys were.

Also...what? Top 100 assets for the Yankees? I guess they have a couple top 100 prospects (not assets), but seemingly every team has a few of those guys (theres only 30 teams, so mathematically, a bunch are going to have a few top 100). Yankees farm is shit right now. A couple top 100 prospects isnt shit. You have top 50? top 30? now we are talking about teams that have some ammo for big trades...like the Twins. Again, the Yankees were floating around Andujar because they don't really have much more ammo than him.

Also, I have no problem with the Twins front office, aside from ownership. I think Falvine have been/are doing a brilliant job. I just don't think ownership is, or ever will be willing to open up their pockets. This kind of team happens once in a blue moon around here, and it is not being capitalized on, other than more money for the owner.
I didn't mean you specifically ranting, I was referring to rubes who just come in and post "FUCK THIS TEAM"
tell us how Falvine get Stroman when the dumbass Jays traded him for mediocre prospects days before the deadline?
We've all complained about Kimbrel enough, I even broke down getting numerous wins in July if we had him vs May/Parker/Kohl Stewart pitching late in games, I'm jut not seeing what they could have done differently yesterday. They picked up 2 good maybe great relievers (and certainly massive upgrade to what we have/had). Greene and Martin are two other guys, and like you say on prospects, there are 30 other teams making deals, we can't get all of them. Hou and Atl are the only teams did anything impactful.
Southpaw23

Post by Southpaw23 »

feekdogg wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:34 am The Jays moved all kinds of pieces, but not Giles. Elbow problem much worse than thought?
The cortisone shots make the ligaments weaker, depending on how many he’s had, ticking timebomb.

Doc let me have 3 max, then it was knife time.
Last edited by Southpaw23 on Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

boxter432 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:02 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:54 am
boxter432 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:33 am

They have multiple top 100 assets as well.
Tell me what moves you wanted, that other teams made. Grienke? That’s about it. Nothing else is something thenTwins were pursuing. Almost none of the expected players to be traded were traded. The middle of the road teams just weren’t sellers this year. I’m not “defending” the twins, I’m trying to talk through what happened instead of just ranting about the front office for no reason.
I'm also not ranting...

To answer some moves I would have liked

Stroman...Keuchel...Kimbrel...Greene...Martin...

I don't know, those are just some names that were signed or traded. Twins could've been in on them, but didn't pull the trigger.

There's probably also numerous guys that could have been had that werent moved. I'm not an insider, so I don't know who those guys were.

Also...what? Top 100 assets for the Yankees? I guess they have a couple top 100 prospects (not assets), but seemingly every team has a few of those guys (theres only 30 teams, so mathematically, a bunch are going to have a few top 100). Yankees farm is shit right now. A couple top 100 prospects isnt shit. You have top 50? top 30? now we are talking about teams that have some ammo for big trades...like the Twins. Again, the Yankees were floating around Andujar because they don't really have much more ammo than him.

Also, I have no problem with the Twins front office, aside from ownership. I think Falvine have been/are doing a brilliant job. I just don't think ownership is, or ever will be willing to open up their pockets. This kind of team happens once in a blue moon around here, and it is not being capitalized on, other than more money for the owner.
I didn't mean you specifically ranting, I was referring to rubes who just come in and post "FUCK THIS TEAM"
tell us how Falvine get Stroman when the dumbass Jays traded him for mediocre prospects days before the deadline?
We've all complained about Kimbrel enough, I even broke down getting numerous wins in July if we had him vs May/Parker/Kohl Stewart pitching late in games, I'm jut not seeing what they could have done differently yesterday. They picked up 2 good maybe great relievers (and certainly massive upgrade to what we have/had). Greene and Martin are two other guys, and like you say on prospects, there are 30 other teams making deals, we can't get all of them. Hou and Atl are the only teams did anything impactful.
You get him by being plugged in and offering better mediocre prospects days before the deadline.
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

salamander

Post by salamander »

full force five wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:51 am I'm sure the elbow issues scared teams away. The Twins gave up next to nothing getting these two guys, for Dyson they didn't move any prospect in the top 31! We also have Dyson for next year with a track record of solid production. Nice move overall!
So you're saying they were still loaded with prospects to make another trade and didn't?
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

The Ramos for Capps deal gets mentioned often during trade deadline time. Usually its viewed negatively, as Ramos became a quality player and Capps sort of fell off. Mauer getting hurt for long periods of time and not having Ramos also leaves a bad taste with Twins fans.

However, up until a few minutes ago, I had a real problem with Kevin Jepsen, whom the Twins traded for some prospects. I felt Jepsen mirrored what the Twins got in Dyson, a solid reliever with another year left on his contract.

Jepsen played well down the stretch and unfortunately the Twins missed the playoffs in Molitor's first year managing. Then, the next year the Twins had an abysmal start to the year, with Jepsen pitching like a steaming pile of dog shit, and blowing multiple saves.

Now, I just went back and looked at who the Twins traded for Jepsen to see if they had any impact at the Major League level. The answer is no. Chih-Wei Hu and Alexis Tapia. Hu had a few appearances and Tapia never made it to the Show.

In hindsight, what the Twins got for who they gave up was good. However, Jepsen failed to perform well for the team the following year and didnt last 'til season's end. Hopefully Dyson will be different and make an impact, while the prospects the Twins traded fair the same as their 2015 contemporaries.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Common definitely browses this forum

jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Common is a preachy douche.
Let's get Tropical
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Dan33185 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:54 pm Common definitely browses this forum

Of course he does. They all do. What better place to steal content and disguise it as "parallel thinking" than here? That's why I have no problem with the threads ripping the radio personalities.

The least they could do is come on and interact as themselves but of course they wont, because that would be hypocritical and they could get into trouble if they posted something controversial.

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

It will be interesting to see what results from the first hard trade deadline, wasn't a whole lot of action. But most of the baseball world thought the Mets were "crazy" including me...but they're smoking hot right now and adding Stroman and not selling might get them into the playoffs. They thought outside the box, and didn't follow the ridiculous unwritten rules of baseball's trade deadline. They get a local kid with team control and might potentially get some playoff revenue in return, business 101. Also Cleveland got rid of a cancer, albeit a great pitcher and added to their offensive weaknesses. The biggest move makers might have struck gold....
salamander

Post by salamander »

Tuck ya in wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:49 am It will be interesting to see what results from the first hard trade deadline, wasn't a whole lot of action. But most of the baseball world thought the Mets were "crazy" including me...but they're smoking hot right now and adding Stroman and not selling might get them into the playoffs. They thought outside the box, and didn't follow the ridiculous unwritten rules of baseball's trade deadline. They get a local kid with team control and might potentially get some playoff revenue in return, business 101. Also Cleveland got rid of a cancer, albeit a great pitcher and added to their offensive weaknesses. The biggest move makers might have struck gold....
There was plenty of action to be had.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
The Replacements

"Kimbrel pitched two-thirds of an inning in a non-save situation against Pittsburgh on Sunday, allowing a solo home run and hitting one batter while striking out two.Making his first appearance since landing on the injured list Aug. 5 with right knee inflammation, Kimbrel came on in the ninth inning and immediately served up a solo blast to Starling Marte. He then hit Cole Tucker with a pitch before whiffing the next two batters. The outing was a microcosm of Kimbrel's season thus far, as he has converted nine of 11 save chances and racked up 19 strikeouts in 13.1 innings while posting a 6.08 ERA and giving up five home runs."

We should have outbid everyone for this guy!!!
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

The Replacements wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:46 am "Kimbrel pitched two-thirds of an inning in a non-save situation against Pittsburgh on Sunday, allowing a solo home run and hitting one batter while striking out two.Making his first appearance since landing on the injured list Aug. 5 with right knee inflammation, Kimbrel came on in the ninth inning and immediately served up a solo blast to Starling Marte. He then hit Cole Tucker with a pitch before whiffing the next two batters. The outing was a microcosm of Kimbrel's season thus far, as he has converted nine of 11 save chances and racked up 19 strikeouts in 13.1 innings while posting a 6.08 ERA and giving up five home runs."

Very hot and cold thus far, but that is probably due to him sitting on the shelf for half the year. I expect him to hit his stride shortly. I'd still take him on the Twins in a heart beat. Kuechel too.
The Replacements

Small Hands wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:09 pm
The Replacements wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:46 am "Kimbrel pitched two-thirds of an inning in a non-save situation against Pittsburgh on Sunday, allowing a solo home run and hitting one batter while striking out two.Making his first appearance since landing on the injured list Aug. 5 with right knee inflammation, Kimbrel came on in the ninth inning and immediately served up a solo blast to Starling Marte. He then hit Cole Tucker with a pitch before whiffing the next two batters. The outing was a microcosm of Kimbrel's season thus far, as he has converted nine of 11 save chances and racked up 19 strikeouts in 13.1 innings while posting a 6.08 ERA and giving up five home runs."

Very hot and cold thus far, but that is probably due to him sitting on the shelf for half the year. I expect him to hit his stride shortly. I'd still take him on the Twins in a heart beat. Kuechel too.
He hasn't been hot. The saves have been sketchy with hard hit balls right at defenders. Cubs pulse rates have been high with him pitching. He may find his form but right now he looks like the Red Sox closer from the playoffs.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

The Replacements wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:30 pm
Small Hands wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:09 pm

He hasn't been hot. The saves have been sketchy with hard hit balls right at defenders. Cubs pulse rates have been high with him pitching. He may find his form but right now he looks like the Red Sox closer from the playoffs.
i never wanted him because the red sox didn't. i was on board with getting kuechel though. when they didn't i just assumed they were going to get somebody better to start. still disappointed that they didn't. kuechel just might have given them enough starting bullets in the chamber to make a run. now you've got a lot of eggs in the berrios, odo, gibson, pineda and/or perez basket. how much confidence do you have in any of them giving you six solid innings in a playoff game right now? i think odorizzi will battle his tail off-but that might only get you 5.1 innings. berrios is a mess right now and gibson is very hit or miss. could give you seven-could be knocked out in the third or fourth. pineda might be able to give you some quality innings-but if he can give you six is another thing. perez wouldn't get a start if i was the manager unless he really steps up in his last regular season ones. yesterday was a bit of a start.

if you're only going to get five innings duffey and may are going to have to come up big to win. the three headed closers too. and that means being able to go on a pretty much nightly basis if the game is close.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Again, replacements misses the point. It was never about any specific player. It was about going above and beyond the bare minimum during a record setting year.

Twins failed at that. Miserably. Again.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

salamander wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:26 pm Again, replacements misses the point. It was never about any specific player. It was about going above and beyond the bare minimum during a record setting year.

Twins failed at that. Miserably. Again.
Yep. Still not watching them until Buxton comes back. I have to see if he can help transcend the team to another level. If he cant, I'll be pissed, but at the same time happy I had a fun team to watch until August.

The Replacements

Down to a 98 win pace
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

The Replacements wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:39 pm Down to a 98 win pace
And no chance to do anything in the playoffs.

This team reminds me of the 2012 Vikings.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
The Replacements

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:44 pm
The Replacements wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:39 pm Down to a 98 win pace
And no chance to do anything in the playoffs.

This team reminds me of the 2012 Vikings.
Currently:

Make the postseason: 97.7%
Win division: 78.3%
Make it to the league championship: 42.6%
win the pennant: 20.6%
Win the WS: 9.1%

I'll take those odds every year.
salamander

Post by salamander »

bump
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Do you think Donaldson has any trade value?