Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Twins trade deadline Chat

A place to discuss the MN Twins
The Replacements

Re: Twins trade deadline Chat

Post by The Replacements »

Slim Shady wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:19 pm
The Replacements wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:12 pm It's not about the Pohlad's are cheap. They have a budget and need to win with less resources than Boston, New York, Chicago or LA. That's the reality.
We were told money wouldn't be an issue tho
Was money an issue with any potential acquisition?
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

The Replacements wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:21 pm
The Replacements wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:12 pm It's not about the Pohlad's are cheap. They have a budget and need to win with less resources than Boston, New York, Chicago or LA. That's the reality.
Was with Kimbrell and Kuechel
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
The Replacements

mglviks wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:57 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:49 pm
Won minor league player of the week how many weeks in a row?
Certainly in the running for minor leagur player of the year.

May have got fleeced here.
He's 25 and mashing in Triple AAA where the ball is juiced. I don't believe he is even a top 30 prospect in their system.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Sid Hartman wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:23 pm

You are not following the Pocket Protecting agenda, Sid. This is only about today! Not season after season of cheap FA signings, failures years before to get the club over the top etc..

No! It's all just about today.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
The Replacements

Kimbrel is no longer dominant. They made a fair offer and the Cubs signed him to another regrettable deal. Kuechel is Kyle Gibson at this point in his career. Neither one moves the needle that far.
sh1mmyya

Post by sh1mmyya »

salamander wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:40 pm
sh1mmyya wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:37 pm
salamander wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:24 pm So many pitchers were traded. So many.

You guys can keep throwing out the same 3 names that weren't traded though as you literally cheer for the Twins to have a worse team.
Who did you want?
Irrelevant who I wanted. There were options out there. To say that there was no chance to get more pitchers is 100%, completely false.
So you're mad, but you don't know what you're mad about?
Formally known as Pooperscooper
Never forget page 116
Rip Flip
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Here's what our girl Sal Spice had to say.

Put my guy at my "Firm" out there to get reactions.

“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

The Replacements wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:26 pm

Kimbrel is no longer dominant. They made a fair offer and the Cubs signed him to another regrettable deal. Kuechel is Kyle Gibson at this point in his career. Neither one moves the needle that far.
It's a ridiculous narrative..
The Twins offered more per year than the Cubs...they just didn't want that 3rd year...(hmmm..how many Froobs bitch about players on contracts that are too long?)

Obviously the sellers wanted more than buyers wanted to do.
Across MLB!!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

my only complaint is that the FO might have been more aggressive in getting a SP in june when it was as obvious as it is now that they needed one. maybe quietly make an offer to the giants on bumgarner that they just couldn't refuse.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Sid Hartman wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:16 pm
jakazz30 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:03 pm
Sid Hartman wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:54 pm
When the Pohlads open up the coffers and spend what Yankees are spending your argument might hold weight
Seriously?

Look at this list...#2 in the entire world..

Where are the Twins?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenh ... eams-2019/
Is anyone following what argument this Pohlad Pocket Protector is trying to make?
I do follow 100% but you've made it pretty clear in this thread that you're approaching this with an incredibly closed mind. So attempting to explain things to you would be wasted energy
dennis1

Post by dennis1 »

Yes and yes. And it would have been great to get another starter, but as posted by others earlier, that was a cluster after what Toronto and the Mets did. They have made a couple of nice upgrades with the bullpen, so we'll see what happens.
salamander

Post by salamander »

sh1mmyya wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:37 pm
salamander wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:40 pm
sh1mmyya wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:37 pm

Who did you want?
Irrelevant who I wanted. There were options out there. To say that there was no chance to get more pitchers is 100%, completely false.
So you're mad, but you don't know what you're mad about?
I know exactly what I'm mad about. Being left wanting for decade after decade, GM after GM, coach after coach. There's 1 constant and it goes by Pohlad.

I like the pieces they added. I just find myself miffed that they seemed to do exactly what they thought would appease the fans and no more.

I come back to that same constant. Pohlad.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

dennis1 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:58 pm
Yes and yes. And it would have been great to get another starter, but as posted by others earlier, that was a cluster after what Toronto and the Mets did. They have made a couple of nice upgrades with the bullpen, so we'll see what happens.
And they put themselves in that position because of being cheap in the off-season and being cheap when all it cost was money for both Kimbrel and Kurchel.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
dennis1

Post by dennis1 »

salamander wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:07 pm

And they put themselves in that position because of being cheap in the off-season and being cheap when all it cost was money for both Kimbrel and Kurchel.
Neither one has been dazzling.
salamander

Post by salamander »

dennis1 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:13 pm
salamander wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:07 pm

Neither one has been dazzling.
I do like that they upgraded, I do.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Anyone that can bitch about the pickups the Twins have made this year should be institutionalized.

Bullpen was 10 times more important to help than starters.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

boxter432 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:09 pm the Yankees traded for a minor league pitcher.

POCKET PROTECTORS STEINBRENNER AND CASHMAN
You do realize that the Yankees farm system is not exactly loaded? If they had desirable assets they would of traded them in a heart beat. Same with others who usually trade.
Last edited by Tuck ya in on Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Seems a lot of people who are defending the Twins love to point out the Yankees...

"well yeah, but the Yankees..."

Yankees can't really make moves right now, they have nothing to give up. There was rumors that they were floating around Miguel Andujar because of this.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:30 pm Anyone that can bitch about the pickups the Twins have made this year should be institutionalized.

I don't see many people bitching about the pickups they made, its the ones they didnt.
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

I like what they did. Everyone would have loved a frontline starter... wasnt going to happen. They arent giving up any of lewis, Kiriloff, or Gruteral.

An improved bullpen means an even more impowered starting staff. If we can let these guys retire comfortably after 6 or 7... that let's them get a ton more loose for that 6 or 7.

These were good moves. Not superstar psychopath (hey Yasiel :doublefinger: ) moves, but good solid moves.... that won't backfire... like a Puig meltdown. (How off his rocker is that idiot gonna get when he starts getting "Cleveland calls")

Good luck dummies :lol:
Slava Ukrijina 💙💛🇺🇦💙💛
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Tony Bongwater wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:21 pm I like what they did. Everyone would have loved a frontline starter... wasnt going to happen. They arent giving up any of lewis, Kiriloff, or Gruteral.

An improved bullpen means an even more impowered starting staff. If we can let these guys retire comfortably after 6 or 7... that let's them get a ton more loose for that 6 or 7.

These were good moves. Not superstar psychopath (hey Yasiel :doublefinger: ) moves, but good solid moves.... that won't backfire... like a Puig meltdown. (How off his rocker is that idiot gonna get when he starts getting "Cleveland calls")

Good luck dummies :lol:
Probably could have gotten Stroman without having to give up Kiriloff or Lewis...maybe that's partly on Toronto for not waiting for the deadline...At the deadline, starting pitching was at a ridiculous premium, and I don't blame the Twins for not giving in to ridiculous demands. If they got in the trade market earlier, maybe they could have made some moves, but I believe the talks of Bumgarner/Thor was just pandering. I don't believe their ever really was interest on the Twins side.

For the best team the Twins have had in decades, they invested an adjusted two salaries of a combined (approximate) $2.4 million to the roster with the two deadline deals. The moves will help for the division run no doubt, but it seems a major driving factor in them is the relatively inexpensive contracts.

If Puig implodes on himself, Cleveland's deal will look pretty funny. I understand it for them though. That lineup is pretty bad, so they had to do something if they want to stay relevant in the race, and they added two good bats for their every day lineup. This might be close to their last hurrah with the Twins arriving and on the rise, and the White Sox looking up too.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:14 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:30 pm Anyone that can bitch about the pickups the Twins have made this year should be institutionalized.

I don't see many people bitching about the pickups they made, its the ones they didnt.
Yeah I won the Powerball but didn't win the motherfucking Publishers Clearinghouse. Fuck!

Greedy bitches want everything. Man it must suck to be unhappy with easily the most fun Twins team in 30 years.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:05 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:14 pm

Yeah I won the Powerball but didn't win the motherfucking Publishers Clearinghouse. Fuck!

Greedy bitches want everything. Man it must suck to be unhappy with easily the most fun Twins team in 30 years.
I'm definitely not unhappy with this team, they are set up to be competitive within the division for a long time, much like the Mornea/Mauer/Cuddy era. Just hope it doesnt result in the lack of playoff success this time around. Would hate to see history repeat itself and watch the front office just sit on their hands while a great core goes through their prime here without making any big attempts to go after more than just a divisional title.

I do think Falvine have a good grasp on analytics and have a vision with the type of players they add to their farm system, so maybe that will be a difference this time around? They certainly aren't going to get any help with ownership opening up their pockets, so lets hope Falvine can figure out a puzzle together.
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:13 pm Seems a lot of people who are defending the Twins love to point out the Yankees...

Yankees can't really make moves right now, they have nothing to give up. There was rumors that they were floating around Miguel Andujar because of this.
They have multiple top 100 assets as well.
Tell me what moves you wanted, that other teams made. Grienke? That’s about it. Nothing else is something thenTwins were pursuing. Almost none of the expected players to be traded were traded. The middle of the road teams just weren’t sellers this year. I’m not “defending” the twins, I’m trying to talk through what happened instead of just ranting about the front office for no reason.
This team is literally destroying power records day by day and made multiple moves to bolster the pen. Everyone wanted an ace to be added, but none were attainable whatsoever unless you want to trade Buck who might just be the most important player on the team.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

boxter432 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:33 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:13 pm Seems a lot of people who are defending the Twins love to point out the Yankees...

Tell me what moves you wanted, that other teams made. Grienke? That’s about it. Nothing else is something thenTwins were pursuing. Almost none of the expected players to be traded were traded. The middle of the road teams just weren’t sellers this year. I’m not “defending” the twins, I’m trying to talk through what happened instead of just ranting about the front office for no reason.
I'm also not ranting...

To answer some moves I would have liked

Stroman...Keuchel...Kimbrel...Greene...Martin...

I don't know, those are just some names that were signed or traded. Twins could've been in on them, but didn't pull the trigger.

There's probably also numerous guys that could have been had that werent moved. I'm not an insider, so I don't know who those guys were.

Also...what? Top 100 assets for the Yankees? I guess they have a couple top 100 prospects (not assets), but seemingly every team has a few of those guys (theres only 30 teams, so mathematically, a bunch are going to have a few top 100). Yankees farm is shit right now. A couple top 100 prospects isnt shit. You have top 50? top 30? now we are talking about teams that have some ammo for big trades...like the Twins. Again, the Yankees were floating around Andujar because they don't really have much more ammo than him.

Also, I have no problem with the Twins front office, aside from ownership. I think Falvine have been/are doing a brilliant job. I just don't think ownership is, or ever will be willing to open up their pockets. This kind of team happens once in a blue moon around here, and it is not being capitalized on, other than more money for the owner.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:54 am

I'm also not ranting...

I don't know, those are just some names that were signed or traded. Twins could've been in on them, but didn't pull the trigger.

There's probably also numerous guys that could have been had that werent moved. I'm not an insider, so I don't know who those guys were.

Also...what? Top 100 assets for the Yankees? I guess they have a couple top 100 prospects (not assets), but seemingly every team has a few of those guys (theres only 30 teams, so mathematically, a bunch are going to have a few top 100). Yankees farm is shit right now. A couple top 100 prospects isnt shit. You have top 50? top 30? now we are talking about teams that have some ammo for big trades...like the Twins. Again, the Yankees were floating around Andujar because they don't really have much more ammo than him.

Also, I have no problem with the Twins front office, aside from ownership. I think Falvine have been/are doing a brilliant job. I just don't think ownership is, or ever will be willing to open up their pockets. This kind of team happens once in a blue moon around here, and it is not being capitalized on, other than more money for the owner.
The Twins got the best reliever moved at the deadline...
full force five

Post by full force five »

I'm fine with the moves overall. I didn't think they would do much, Dyson will help so will Romo. They were never going to get MadBum or Thor, sorry. I'm just glad they did something.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

The Jays moved all kinds of pieces, but not Giles. Elbow problem much worse than thought?
full force five

Post by full force five »

I'm sure the elbow issues scared teams away. The Twins gave up next to nothing getting these two guys, for Dyson they didn't move any prospect in the top 31! We also have Dyson for next year with a track record of solid production. Nice move overall!
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

OliverMiller wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:47 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:54 am

I'm also not ranting...

The Twins got the best reliever moved at the deadline...
???
Last edited by bubu dubu. on Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.