Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Twins trade deadline Chat

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Tommy_Hawk

Re: Twins trade deadline Chat

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Car Ramrod wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:11 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:13 am
feekdogg wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:41 am

No to any of those guys to the Giants. You don't give up your top 3 guys for a rental.

I'd consider Graterol to the Jays for both Giles and Stroman if it came down to that. The Jays need pitching prospects way more than hitting. The other guys are strictly off limts, unless deGrom somehow is on the table.
Sano-Graterol for DeGrom or Thor. Add some international money in there and maybe some teen-ranked prospects.
I like going after one of these two. I don’t know if DeGrom is going anywhere but it sounds like Thor is definitely on the market.

Sano
Graterol
Enlow
Blankenhorn or Alcala?

<>

Thor

I don’t know if the Mets laugh at this or not (probably would hang up on us until we mention Kirilloff). He is having a down year for his standards but we definitely have the run support to give him a boost.
Sano isnt a slouch, but why not trade him and resign Cron to 1B and wait for Royce to come up.

The Mets get Sano back who would fit in well with the Mets and a top pitcher back, along with international money which is probably more valuable to a New York team. Idk, probably wont happen. Mets could probably get a better deal.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Terrence Gore just got DFA'd by KC. There's not really room, but a guy like that can be super useful as a pinch runner in tight games. Especially when 1/3 of your lineup is flat-out slow.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

feekdogg wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:48 pm Terrence Gore just got DFA'd by KC. There's not really room, but a guy like that can be super useful as a pinch runner in tight games. Especially when 1/3 of your lineup is flat-out slow.
Side note: I heard on a radio broadcast earlier this year that Adrianza is slower than Robbie Grossman - the boys couldn't understand why Moli would use him as a pinch runner.

Wheelhouse note: The modern game don't care bout no runnin'. They want everyone jogging home. No place for a Jarvis Brown round these parts.
Ketchup can be nuancy
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

syndegaard's line yesterday: seven innings pitched, two runs and nine strikeouts. this weekend the longest a twins starter went was 5.1 innings. the BP actually did quite well. the team needs a starter.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

MLB.com's 5 trades so crazy they just might work:

The Twins get a pitching pair

Minnesota gets: RHP Marcus Stroman and RHP Ken Giles

Toronto gets: RHP Brusdar Graterol, SS Wander Javier, RHP Griffin Jax, OF Gabriel Maciel and LHP Ryley Widell

A surge from the Indians combined with a slump from the Twins created something more closely resembling a legit race in the American League Central just before the All-Star break.

But the Central itself isn’t all the Twins have to consider at this Deadline. Are they good enough to advance in a top-heavy AL with two powerhouses in Houston and New York? And how will they address the rotation at season’s end, when Jake Odorizzi, Michael Pineda and Kyle Gibson are free agents?

Enter Stroman, who would bring both swagger and an additional year of control to the Twin Cities. Giles is also under team control through 2020 and would allow some of the arms in the 'pen to slide into lower-leverage roles.

The Twins have enough pieces in their system to be aggressive in trying to nail down their first division title in nine years, and their Nos. 3 (Graterol, No. 50 overall), 6 (Javier), 23 (Jax) and 25 (Maciel) prospects would be nice building blocks for a Toronto team in transition. Graterol is reportedly off-limits in trade talks, but the market for Stroman should be competitive.

Who says no? With few controllable starters available in this market and the majority of contenders in need of bullpen help, the Blue Jays might be able to hold out for a better offer.

I'd probably do it if push comes to shove, but man, that seems like a lot to give.
Vendetta11

Post by Vendetta11 »

With several teams shooting for the moon this year (Yankees and Red Sox will always be the Yankees and Red Sox, not to mention teams in the National league) - the price will probably be steep for Stroman and Giles, mostly (obviously) because of them not being rentals.

And personally, of the 5 starters the Twins have right now, the one that always makes me nervous is Gibby. The guy just can't get out of his own head. Odorizzi has come back down to earth, Berrios can be streaky sometimes... etc. I know most of you have been wishing for bullpen help, but if the Twins really do want to make a legit run, they have to upgrade the rotation.

Personally, I am not sure if I would want to trade the farm away either, but... I dunno. It would be nice to see the Twins go for broke.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

personally, i'd like to see one of those met pitchers just stay in town after their ex-team leaves.
full force five

Post by full force five »

Sounds like Giles is having elbow "tenderness". Not good.
Vendetta11

Post by Vendetta11 »

full force five wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:07 am Sounds like Giles is having elbow "tenderness". Not good.
Exactly... I am much more interested in Stroman, hell even Madbum over Giles right now.
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

The Twins are doing the right thing by not making a hasty move. Another 3-5 teams will consider themselves sellers in the next 10 days. The talent pool will be bigger and cost should go down accordingly.
Ketchup can be nuancy
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Charley Walters: Twins aren’t interested in short-term rentals: Although the division-leading Minnesota Twins continue their hunt for improved pitching for the second half of the season, it doesn’t appear that they’re much interested in rental players -- the Twins are more focused on pitchers whose contracts they can control for at least one year, says Charley Walters in his popular sports round-up column.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Vendetta11 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:57 am With several teams shooting for the moon this year (Yankees and Red Sox will always be the Yankees and Red Sox, not to mention teams in the National league) - the price will probably be steep for Stroman and Giles, mostly (obviously) because of them not being rentals.

And personally, of the 5 starters the Twins have right now, the one that always makes me nervous is Gibby. The guy just can't get out of his own head. Odorizzi has come back down to earth, Berrios can be streaky sometimes... etc. I know most of you have been wishing for bullpen help, but if the Twins really do want to make a legit run, they have to upgrade the rotation.

Personally, I am not sure if I would want to trade the farm away either, but... I dunno. It would be nice to see the Twins go for broke.
They don't need to go for broke. They have a deep farm system. The time is now. They need at least one starter and 2 bullpen arms right away.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Ask Not wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:38 am The Twins are doing the right thing by not making a hasty move. Another 3-5 teams will consider themselves sellers in the next 10 days. The talent pool will be bigger and cost should go down accordingly.
Fuckin' A
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:08 am Charley Walters: Twins aren’t interested in short-term rentals: Although the division-leading Minnesota Twins continue their hunt for improved pitching for the second half of the season, it doesn’t appear that they’re much interested in rental players -- the Twins are more focused on pitchers whose contracts they can control for at least one year, says Charley Walters in his popular sports round-up column.
Walters is a hack, but I'm sure this is the case. I just hope they don't pass on a player that will truly help them in the postseason, because they don't have control beyond this year. This lineup is built to win. Don't fucking squander it.
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:24 am
Ask Not wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:38 am The Twins are doing the right thing by not making a hasty move. Another 3-5 teams will consider themselves sellers in the next 10 days. The talent pool will be bigger and cost should go down accordingly.
Fuckin' A
Back atcha. Save for a couple of teams, the entire NL is within a few games of the WC right now. Even teams like the Giants have made a recent run. I'm hoping a few of those teams go 3-7 in the next couple weeks. If 4 more teams drop out of the race, that's probably an additional 10-15 combined pitchers worth considering.
Ketchup can be nuancy
salamander

Post by salamander »

You pair this:
Vendetta11 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:36 am Looks like the Twins have a hard "NO" on teams asking for top three prospects -
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/07/ ... talks.html

Would any of you trade them for a MadBum or a Stroman/Giles package?
With this:
weimy froob wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:08 am Charley Walters: Twins aren’t interested in short-term rentals: Although the division-leading Minnesota Twins continue their hunt for improved pitching for the second half of the season, it doesn’t appear that they’re much interested in rental players -- the Twins are more focused on pitchers whose contracts they can control for at least one year, says Charley Walters in his popular sports round-up column.
= I doubt we get anyone worthwhile.

I don't want to just hand away our prospects but packaging one of them for a legit stud that will break the Pohlad's bank account? Yeah, "I'm all" in baby. I want an Ace and that means a top 3 prospect is gone. Bu-bye!
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Anything short of getting Mad Bum and I will be disappointed....
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
D_B_U

Post by D_B_U »

Hornets wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:45 pm Anything short of getting Mad Bum and I will be disappointed....
Scherzer or Stroman would both be on par with Madbum.

If we truly arent willing to trade our top 3 prospects I doubt any of those guys are truly on the table.

Obviously Scherzer wont happen. Would love Madbum or Stroman but I dont think they are as focused on a SP.

Need 2 bullpen arms they can trust. a true closer and a situational lefty.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Hmmm. Zack Wheeler was supposed to start against the Twins tomorrow and was just placed on the IL.
Vendetta11

Post by Vendetta11 »

"Shoulder fatigue" ... So... get him on the cheap!
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:09 pm Hmmm. Zack Wheeler was supposed to start against the Twins tomorrow and was just placed on the IL.
Please god. NOOOOOOOOOO! Thor or GTFO from the Mets.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Too bad Tampa is leading the Wildcard race. Charlie Morton would be thee perfect addition to this team. We tried signing him already, so there's interest there.
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

Ken Giles would be my #1 legitimate target.
I'd take Bum, but he won't win you a WS, neither would Stroman, so I don't give up the farm for either.
I'd give up more for Charlie Morton than either of those two. Scherzer is the wet dream.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

Ask Not wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:59 am Ken Giles would be my #1 legitimate target.
I'd take Bum, but he won't win you a WS, neither would Stroman, so I don't give up the farm for either.
I'd give up more for Charlie Morton than either of those two. Scherzer is the wet dream.
Spot on.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Ask Not wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:59 am Ken Giles would be my #1 legitimate target.
Giles is hurt. Bum or Stroman might help you win a series. I would prefer they use their trade chips on the bullpen unless you can acquire a Scherzer or Greinke.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Morin DFAed today. 3 open spots now on their 40 man roster. I feel a trade coming soon. Rooker is on the IL in AAA for a "contusion." Looks like a likely trade chip.
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

The Replacements wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:32 pm Morin DFAed today. 3 open spots now on their 40 man roster. I feel a trade coming soon. Rooker is on the IL in AAA for a "contusion." Looks like a likely trade chip.
Nice, I feel Rooker is one of the most likely to be dealt prospects along with Gordon. I have a feeling that Duran or Balazovic will be dealt before the deadline as well.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Car Ramrod wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:40 pm
The Replacements wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:32 pm Morin DFAed today. 3 open spots now on their 40 man roster. I feel a trade coming soon. Rooker is on the IL in AAA for a "contusion." Looks like a likely trade chip.
Nice, I feel Rooker is one of the most likely to be dealt prospects along with Gordon. I have a feeling that Duran or Balazovic will be dealt before the deadline as well.
Sounds like Toronto and SF want pitching prospects. Not sure what the Mets are looking for. I would be happy if we could get Robbie Ray for a couple positional players. Sounds like ARI are going to be sellers.
D_B_U

Post by D_B_U »

Car Ramrod wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:40 pm
Gordon is for sure gone if they feel like Polanco can keep playing SS. I always figured they were going to move Polanco to 2nd and Gordon would take SS... Now they'll wait till Royce is ready.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Kinda excited to see what's gonna happen!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners: