Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Twins second biggest drop in attendance even with hot start.

A place to discuss the MN Twins
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Twins second biggest drop in attendance even with hot start.

Post by RubeTube »

http://www.startribune.com/twins-have-t ... 509330312/

Baseball needs to find a way to market their players. The average person has no clue who most of baseballs stars are today. It's a far departure from when i was growing up and pro baseball players were by far the most recognizable.

It's not just the Twins as this article states.

The MLS soccer leagues are bringing in higher attendance per game than many of these teams. :shock:
Last edited by RubeTube on Thu May 09, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Slim Shady

Re: Twins second biggest drop in attendance even with hot start.

Post by Slim Shady »

weather permitting, I'm expecting a large crowd this weekend
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

I dont care about ratings or attendance. I dont care how much athletes get paid. I just care about the games.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

The weather, to this point, has been total dog shit. People dont want to pay to sit outside for 3 to 4 hours in cold wind and rain for a game in April when they can wait and do it in may through September and actually enjoy it.

They have 81 home games, not 8 like football.

You can afford to be picky about when you catch a game. You have enough choices.

I'm sure most people buy tickets once the forecast is more reliable. When I go I watch the weather leading up to it. If it looks like it will be decent I get tickets if not I say hell with it.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Weather obviously is a factor, but being one of the three or so best teams in baseball for basically all of the early season (record-wise) should also be a factor in bringing people in. The attendance definitely is something worth note right now.

If, when school is out, attendance is still low, then the Twins obviously have issues with marketing and selling their product
Last edited by bubu dubu. on Thu May 09, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:05 am Weather obviously is a factor, but being one of the three or so best teams in baseball (record-wise) should also be a factor in bringing people in. The attendance definitely is something worth note right now.

If, when school is out, attendance is still low, then the Twins obviously have issues with marketing and selling their product
Very good point. They made the playoffs two year's ago and they didn't have the greatest attendance either.

Those weekend series at the dome in the early 2000's had a "Buzz" around them.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

weather - I bet the tv ratings are great.

/thread
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Slim Shady wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:41 am weather permitting, I'm expecting a large crowd this weekend
Heading there tonight with some buddies. Time to drink!!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:11 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:05 am Weather obviously is a factor, but being one of the three or so best teams in baseball (record-wise) should also be a factor in bringing people in. The attendance definitely is something worth note right now.

Very good point. They made the playoffs two year's ago and they didn't have the greatest attendance either.

Those weekend series at the dome in the early 2000's had a "Buzz" around them.
I remember 2001/2 they had the "Get to know em" and "come and see em" big campaigns everywhere.
Now I hear the occasional "this is a commercial for twins tickets, this is a commercial for twins tickets" radio ad, but thats about it. I only knew about the $5 ticket thing b/c I follow the twins on facebook or something. nationally they aren't talked about much either so even locals who watch sports center occasionally could barely tell they are are leading the league.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

minnemike wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:50 am weather - I bet the tv ratings are great.

/thread
You are correct....the ratings on FSN have been huge so far.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:40 am http://www.startribune.com/twins-have-t ... 509330312/

Baseball needs to find a way to market their players. The average person has no clue who most of baseballs stars are today. It's a far departure from when i was growing up and pro baseball players were by far the most recognizable.

It's not just the Twins as this article states.

The MLS soccer leagues are bringing in higher attendance per game than many of these teams. :shock:

No.....
http://proxy.espn.com/mlb/attendance?sort=homeTotal

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2019-mls-attendance/
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Lets see. It snowed 10 inches in Duluth yesterday. Sure is hard to figure out why people aren't going to games when there are only probably 60 warn and sunny games to go to.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 5:13 pm Lets see. It snowed 10 inches in Duluth yesterday. Sure is hard to figure out why people aren't going to games when there are only probably 60 warn and sunny games to go to.
No kidding....the weather has been atrocious so far for the Twins at home..
And it's definitely been a factor in attendance..
Example: they had a "Game of Thrones" giveaway night that was postponed...so that crowd disappeared until tomorrow.

I live within a mile of Target Field.....and I love the games in person....but if the weather is crap, I'll watch it at home.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Yep, it's the weather. Nothing more, nothing less. Guess we didn't need a roof.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

I guess I just can't relate to fans who determine their attendance based on weather. High maintenance if you ask me. It seems some people go for the experience of it %75, and the actual game %25. I'm the opposite. I would have no problem going to these games, less lines, more room, foul ball chances increase, etc. Just waiting on the kiddos to be old enough to take down there.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Tuck ya in wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:05 am I guess I just can't relate to fans who determine their attendance based on weather. High maintenance if you ask me. It seems some people go for the experience of it %75, and the actual game %25. I'm the opposite. I would have no problem going to these games, less lines, more room, foul ball chances increase, etc. Just waiting on the kiddos to be old enough to take down there.
It's 'not a chance to see one of 8 Vikes games. It's one of 81. You can't understand wanting to sit in the sun vs outdoors in a 40 degree pissing mist? I can't relate too anyone who can't figure that out.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:17 am
Tuck ya in wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:05 am I guess I just can't relate to fans who determine their attendance based on weather. High maintenance if you ask me. It seems some people go for the experience of it %75, and the actual game %25. I'm the opposite. I would have no problem going to these games, less lines, more room, foul ball chances increase, etc. Just waiting on the kiddos to be old enough to take down there.
It's 'not a chance to see one of 8 Vikes games. It's one of 81. You can't understand wanting to sit in the sun vs outdoors in a 40 degree pissing mist? I can't relate too anyone who can't figure that out.
To each it's own dude, obviously it would be ideal to be in the 70's. Rain & Snow i can see, but just temps in the 40's-60's keeping people away is weak.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

It isn't like this start was expected...

Combine the fact that the weather here sucks ass when the season starts and that expectations weren't high for the season and you could easily make an argument that those are the reasons.

If the Twins had been a known commodity that we knew would be great from the start attendance wouldn't be a problem.

I'm of the opinion that this market is just too small to support every sports team with as much fervor and support year after year even if they suck. When teams are good then the fans will come and be passionate and if the teams suck then people will go elsewhere. It's the complete opposite for smaller markets that don't have many options like the Oklahoma City Thunder. Yes it helps that they're actually good but that city lives and dies for that franchise.

Just look at the Wolves for example.

2017 (before Butler trade): 14,809 which was second lowest total per game and only filled 76.5% of capacity which was worst in the league.

2018 (first year with Butler + making play offs): 17,056 which was 21st and 89.9% which was 20th

2019 (year after Butler): 15,305 which was 3rd worst and 80.7% which was 29th
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:59 am
It isn't like this start was expected...

Combine the fact that the weather here sucks ass when the season starts and that expectations weren't high for the season and you could easily make an argument that those are the reasons.

If the Twins had been a known commodity that we knew would be great from the start attendance wouldn't be a problem.

I'm of the opinion that this market is just too small to support every sports team with as much fervor and support year after year even if they suck. When teams are good then the fans will come and be passionate and if the teams suck then people will go elsewhere. It's the complete opposite for smaller markets that don't have many options like the Oklahoma City Thunder. Yes it helps that they're actually good but that city lives and dies for that franchise.

Just look at the Wolves for example.

2017 (before Butler trade): 14,809 which was second lowest total per game and only filled 76.5% of capacity which was worst in the league.

2018 (first year with Butler + making play offs): 17,056 which was 21st and 89.9% which was 20th

2019 (year after Butler): 15,305 which was 3rd worst and 80.7% which was 29th
Good points on the success surge, I would imagine if this year continues like it's began next Spring will increase attendance regardless of temps. Another big reason is school is still in session, more family's will attend after early June. But I still think the there's a segment of fans that need to have nearly perfect conditions to come out to a game.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

do any baseball teams sell out more then 50% of their games?

scalpers must be giving them away if the twins are at $5.00
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the game will outlive us all-remember that.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Another factor?

"Back in the Day"....(remember I've been following this team for 50 years...including being a season ticket holder for 43)....you had promotions....but you didn't need to buy a special ticket to receive the promo item..
If they gave caps, everyone got a cap...not just those who "paid" for them..
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

31,919 in the stands today. i'd say weather was an issue.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Wait till school is out.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Hmmmmmmm....

Nice weather....
Sell out today
Likely tomorrow
Expecting 30,000+ for the 2 Brewers games..

It was crappy weather...
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

jakazz30 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:21 pm Hmmmmmmm....

Nice weather....
Sell out today
Likely tomorrow
Expecting 30,000+ for the 2 Brewers games..

It was crappy weather...
definitely the hot ticket now.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Dave St. Peter himself said that they have to earn the fans' trust again. This start is helping that cause.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Read briefly on Twitter the Twins expected to sellout this Father’s Day weekend. Did I hear that correctly?
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

ForCaleb wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:16 pm Read briefly on Twitter the Twins expected to sellout this Father’s Day weekend. Did I hear that correctly?
It's about time! The product is finally worth the price of admission!
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:08 am
ForCaleb wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:16 pm Read briefly on Twitter the Twins expected to sellout this Father’s Day weekend. Did I hear that correctly?
It's about time! The product is finally worth the price of admission!
It’s a big weekend. With the kids out of school and with how they’re playing it’s time they start selling out.