Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Twins Bullpen is...

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Re: Twins Bullpen is...

Post by Night Train »

The Replacements wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:41 pm Despite performing well lately, they need to be actively looking to upgrade this position if they want to make the playoffs.

It would take a collapse of epic proportions to miss the playoffs at this clip, however if they want to make any noise in the playoffs they would be best served adding an arm or two to the BP.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Night Train wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:03 pm
The Replacements wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:41 pm Despite performing well lately, they need to be actively looking to upgrade this position if they want to make the playoffs.

It would take a collapse of epic proportions to miss the playoffs at this clip, however if they want to make any noise in the playoffs they would be best served adding an arm or two to the BP.
At the time I wrote that comment the Twins were 17-10 and just lost 11-0 to the Astros. Now we know they will win the division. Most everyone here believes the Astros and Yankees are better. The tough question is how much of your future do you want to give up now for the present.
salamander

Post by salamander »

The Replacements wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:40 pm
Night Train wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:03 pm

At the time I wrote that comment the Twins were 17-10 and just lost 11-0 to the Astros. Now we know they will win the division. Most everyone here believes the Astros and Yankees are better. The tough question is how much of your future do you want to give up now for the present.
This is why I wanted Kimbrel. I understand the logic of him sitting for so long and that he's declining. He's still an upgrade.
I think I'm coming around on our starters, we probably don't need to find one.

So all in all, 2 relief arms? Good relief arms. For a shot at the world series when we haven't even come close in 30 years?
I'm willing to give up a lot as long as the return pieces are legitimately boss.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Southpaw23

Post by Southpaw23 »

jakazz30 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:31 pm
salamander wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:25 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:43 pm You'd think the offense would put more fans in the stands. After all chicks dig the long ball.
They'll come. Fans hate how this team is run so they need more than 1 good stretch.
Or maybe the weather has been a factor?

Only a dumazz thinks that this team is poorly run.
I will say that not having a LH reliever cost them the Seattle game. No excuses for that.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

These guys are grinding into July. Managers are maximizing them with what they’re working with.

Help is one the way. Leggo
salamander

Post by salamander »

This team is poorly run by ownership.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

They've come a long way. Used to be you would get the feeling that the game was gonna be given away if they had to give the ball to anyone but Rogers. Now #10 in the league in BP ERA.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:56 pm They've come a long way. Used to be you would get the feeling that the game was gonna be given away if they had to give the ball to anyone but Rogers. Now #10 in the league in BP ERA.
The starting rotation is the bigger problem.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:59 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:56 pm They've come a long way. Used to be you would get the feeling that the game was gonna be given away if they had to give the ball to anyone but Rogers. Now #10 in the league in BP ERA.
The starting rotation is the bigger problem.
Kind of flip-flopped, where the starters were carrying the pitching earlier in the season, and the BP was losing games. I like Odo, and I'm gaining confidence in Berrios again. Its a shame that Pineda is a dirty cheater. Starting rotations tighten in the post-season. It wouldn't have been an elite rotation with Berrios/Odo/Pineda, but it would have given us a chance.
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

Oh well at least we're in the playoffs even if it might be wild card you never know they could blow this thing. Other than hitting home runs I don't see anything really super duper about this team.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Hummdrum wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:41 pm Oh well at least we're in the playoffs even if it might be wild card you never know they could blow this thing. Other than hitting home runs I don't see anything really super duper about this team.
The thing they are super duper at though, they are extremely super duper at.

No way I'd put money on this team to win the World Series, but its a very good team.
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

I hope you are right, let's have a Miracle on Ice 1980 5 game series and go to the ALCS like 2002. Have you ever looked at the roster on the 2002 twins ? There were a few old farts like former Met pitcher Rick Reed but most of them were guys that weren't anywhere near their prime that ended up being all stars later on , on some team.
Ortiz.... Didn't need him ha
Sky Spy in the Sky !
full force five

Post by full force five »

I thought Pineda could pitch in the post season?

With Brusdar Graterol there now, we have some serious depth!
D_B_U

Post by D_B_U »

The bullpen struggled last night but I have to say I am pretty damn impressed how they didnt let the wheels come off.

Trevor May has been really good as of late, and yes, he struggled like hell but he didnt give up 10 runs... He settled in.

Littel has been mostly awesome and he gives up a homer and yet fought to get out of the inning to keep it at 1 run.

Ryne Harper was mostly awful but he was able to get us out of the inning.

Examples of the fight people are talking about. The guys didnt let it go completely off the rails and gave the boys a chance to compete back.

Its not all sunshine, they have to be better, but I think it shows improvement. Also, no chance Ryne is on the playoff roster... but May and Littel both should be.

One other big thing is Sergio Romo's leadership. The dude is in pain but refuses to come off the mound. It shouldnt be a shock that the bullpen is better with him in it from both a pitching aspect but also leadership. Seems like the confidence has sky-rocketed....

Also, how long till Duffey is closing games? Situational closer alongside Rogers?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

D_B_U wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:58 am The bullpen struggled last night but I have to say I am pretty damn impressed how they didnt let the wheels come off.

Trevor May has been really good as of late, and yes, he struggled like hell but he didnt give up 10 runs... He settled in.

Littel has been mostly awesome and he gives up a homer and yet fought to get out of the inning to keep it at 1 run.

Ryne Harper was mostly awful but he was able to get us out of the inning.

Examples of the fight people are talking about. The guys didnt let it go completely off the rails and gave the boys a chance to compete back.

Its not all sunshine, they have to be better, but I think it shows improvement. Also, no chance Ryne is on the playoff roster... but May and Littel both should be.

One other big thing is Sergio Romo's leadership. The dude is in pain but refuses to come off the mound. It shouldnt be a shock that the bullpen is better with him in it from both a pitching aspect but also leadership. Seems like the confidence has sky-rocketed....

Also, how long till Duffey is closing games? Situational closer alongside Rogers?
he's been their best BP guy for quite awhile now. this isn't a bad thing for rocco to contemplate when he gets ready to manage the playoff games. they're going to have to go into them with the mindset that anything after five innings from a starter is a bonus though. every inning is going to be important after that and the big bats might be coming up in the 7th or 8th.

and harper shouldn't even see the mound again until it's mop up time with the division clinched.
Rock Me Abbrederis

Post by Rock Me Abbrederis »

The bullpen is great when we don't have to bring in Ryne Harper haha
D_B_U

Post by D_B_U »

Rock Me Abbrederis wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:22 pm The bullpen is great when we don't have to bring in Ryne Harper haha
He did have some decent moments early in the year but mostly it looks like a college pitcher out there.

It is fine to throw some slower breaking balls-- Look at Romo but the problem is too many times he leaves a 75 MPH curve right in the middle of the plate.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Twins Bullpen is... no longer the weakness of the team.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

salamander wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:06 pm Twins Bullpen is... no longer the weakness of the team.
Yeah, starting pitching is by far now.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Rock Me Abbrederis wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:22 pm The bullpen is great when we don't have to bring in Ryne Harper haha
"It's not Ryan, it's Ryne."

Seriously though, he's not Ryne Sandberg.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

really good
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
salamander

Post by salamander »

minnemike wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:41 am
salamander wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:06 pm Twins Bullpen is... no longer the weakness of the team.
Yeah, starting pitching is by far now.
Sucks but hopefully that SP staff can get red hot in the playoffs.