Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Buxton for the (below) Avg. fan

A place to discuss the MN Twins
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Buxton for the (below) Avg. fan

Post by vikesbumeout »

i see he is hitting 270 and change. Did he learn to hit big league pitching finally? I was pretty concerned about that.

I also heard he put on weight?.......and had some crazy diet with steak and eggs or ?

I like the guy and wish him the best.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
64DegreeWedge

Re: Buxton for the (below) Avg. fan

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

Needs to be leading off!
Too Bad I Have To Destroy You Now
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

And next week he'll be on the DL because he thinks there is logic into running into a fence..

(Doesn't understand "angles"..)
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

64DegreeWedge wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:22 am Needs to be leading off!
That would be the ideal spot for him obviously. He keeps his strikeouts down like he’s doing and continues to hit around .270-.280 by the middle of May I’d move him to leadoff. Fingers crossed
Jack Hoff

Post by Jack Hoff »

He’s nothing but a .220 hitter who gets hurt every year. Deal with it
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

Jimtown guy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:10 pm
That would be the ideal spot for him obviously. He keeps his strikeouts down like he’s doing and continues to hit around .270-.280 by the middle of May I’d move him to leadoff. Fingers crossed
nothing to lose rn IMO

He's your top prospect treat him like it
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

buxton has been a piece to the early season pie that has made the baseball so enjoyable so far with the twins. i'm excited to follow this team as the season progresses and can't wait until they add sano to the lineup. :coolio:
stout93

Post by stout93 »

He's in the perfect spot now at #9. No way you move him up until you feel confident he's finally "got it."
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

stout93 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:46 pm
He's in the perfect spot now at #9. No way you move him up until you feel confident he's finally "got it."
Right now yes. But he keeps doing what he’s doing move him up. Obviously the more he’s on the base paths the better for the team
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

Only makes sense to keephim in the 9 hole if they played in the NL and batted the pitcher 8th.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

64DegreeWedge wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:20 am Only makes sense to keephim in the 9 hole if they played in the NL and batted the pitcher 8th.
As should be the case in every ballpark.
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:41 am
64DegreeWedge wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:20 am Only makes sense to keephim in the 9 hole if they played in the NL and batted the pitcher 8th.
Um. Welp. This is the last year the NL will bat the pitcher.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

64DegreeWedge wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:03 am
No it is not. That is not a change that can be that radically made over one off season. If it happens (and fuck Manfred if it does) It is a 2-3 year process.
BBG

Post by BBG »

I'm worried about moving him up and putting pressure on him. He is in a nice little groove so let's keep him where he's at and watch him shine
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

Pressure is not real
BBG

Post by BBG »

I think Buxton put tremendous pressure on himself the last 3 years and the difference now is how Rocco has managed him and let him be his own player.

He is an example of the long list of Twins players that have been pressured to be something they aren't
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:23 am
64DegreeWedge wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:03 am

No it is not. That is not a change that can be that radically made over one off season. If it happens (and fuck Manfred if it does) It is a 2-3 year process.
Inevitable that it happens....
What other leagues currently don't have the DH?

It's a relic....
Should players also leave their gloves on the field so the people coming out can use them?
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

BBG wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:03 pm I think Buxton put tremendous pressure on himself the last 3 years and the difference now is how Rocco has managed him and let him be his own player.

He is an example of the long list of Twins players that have been pressured to be something they aren't
Well, not sure if that conspiracy theory is correct but so far it does appear that BB has seemed to figure some things out. At one point we were hoping for the 2nd coming of Willie Mays, now I think we'd all be content with a guy that hits .270, steals 30 bases, gets a boat load of doubles, and plays gold glove type defense!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
salamander

Post by salamander »

BBG wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:03 pm I think Buxton put tremendous pressure on himself the last 3 years and the difference now is how Rocco has managed him and let him be his own player.

This is why I hate gambling everything on some young players to pan out. So much pressure.

You need better players already on the roster so all eyes aren't on them.
We finally have that this year on the offensive side.
Last edited by salamander on Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

buxton was responsible for insuring that one run win yesterday. put the ball in play-which means with him anything is possible. then taking those bases on the sac flies with his speed.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:54 pm buxton was responsible for insuring that one run win yesterday. put the ball in play-which means with him anything is possible. then taking those bases on the sac flies with his speed.
Not Rosario?
(I'd say his defensive play was the key play in preserving that win)
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

jakazz30 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:30 pm
weimy froob wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:54 pm buxton was responsible for insuring that one run win yesterday. put the ball in play-which means with him anything is possible. then taking those bases on the sac flies with his speed.
Not Rosario?
let's just say that buxton's run turned out to be very important and as was stated in the game thread-there's only a very select few players in the major leagues who could have advanced and scored on those fly balls.

it sounds like you're down on buxton. why?
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:50 pm
Not Rosario?
let's just say that buxton's run turned out to be very important and as was stated in the game thread-there's only a very select few players in the major leagues who could have advanced and scored on those fly balls.

Too hyped...
I'm not a fan of being force-fed who I'm supposed to like.
He has played 18 games...and I'm supposed to throw out
the previous 300 and assume he has it "figured out"?
Get back to me at the AS break.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Not Rosario?

I’d say the both made a difference. Love the start Buxton is having and I’m not surprised with Eddie’s. Enjoy the start and let’s hope it continues
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

jakazz30 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:59 pm

Not Rosario?

Too hyped...
I respond to you with tip-toes, because I want to put our pettiness we have both had in the past aside, so dont take this as me coming at you...

But whats the difference between Buxton who you are taking the "lets wait and see" approach, and Hicks, who you always claim to have defended?
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:32 pm

Too hyped...
I respond to you with tip-toes, because I want to put our pettiness we have both had in the past aside, so dont take this as me coming at you...

But whats the difference between Buxton who you are taking the "lets wait and see" approach, and Hicks, who you always claim to have defended?
What's the difference?
Buxton gets a hit......he is the greatest player on the planet ever!!! He's figured it out!!!
Hicks was given the exact 180° of that...he was always given the critical comment.....and I said the exact same thing...lets wait and see.

Understand that Buxton should be, by the hype..Mike Trout by now, #1 prospect in all of baseball..the complete 5 tool player..Hicks was never at that level. He was the Twins #1 prospect, not MLBs.

I don't care if you question me bubu...I don't want to bitch with anyone from now on..
I'll blow off conflict basically. Will I debate back? Of course....but it's not getting personal. (With 2 exceptions)
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

jakazz30 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:15 am

Too hyped...

What's the difference?
Buxton gets a hit......he is the greatest player on the planet ever!!! He's figured it out!!!
Hicks was given the exact 180° of that...he was always given the critical comment.....and I said the exact same thing...lets wait and see.

Understand that Buxton should be, by the hype..Mike Trout by now, #1 prospect in all of baseball..the complete 5 tool player..Hicks was never at that level. He was the Twins #1 prospect, not MLBs.

I don't care if you question me bubu...I don't want to bitch with anyone from now on..
I'll blow off conflict basically. Will I debate back? Of course....but it's not getting personal. (With 2 exceptions)
I agree here. Hicks was never remotely as hyped as Buxton. I never even really gave much thought to him.

Buxton looked like the next Willie Mays. He's turned out to be a outfield version of Alexi Castilla.

Completely underwhelming. He's a good fielder and fast, that's about it.

Like Jack said, this guy was projected to be a 5 tool player. We are supposed to get excited when this guy makes contact? Naw.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:37 am

What's the difference?

I agree here. Hicks was never remotely as hyped as Buxton. I never even really gave much thought to him.

Buxton looked like the next Willie Mays. He's turned out to be a outfield version of Alexi Castilla.

Like Jack said, this guy was projected to be a 5 tool player. We are supposed to get excited when this guy makes contact? Naw.
You don't remember the Hicks hype? He was the named the Twins top prospect one year, and was a Baseball America top 100 prospect 4 times. Technically not as hyped as Buxton, but he was supposed to be a star for the Twins, and never lived up to the expectations.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:42 pm
What's the difference?

You don't remember the Hicks hype? He was the named the Twins top prospect one year, and was a Baseball America top 100 prospect 4 times. Technically not as hyped as Buxton, but he was supposed to be a star for the Twins, and never lived up to the expectations.
Saying the "Twins top prospect" doesn't mean much to me. Top 100? Buxton was the #1 at one point.

These guy's were all top 100 and complete duds

Arcia
Restovich
Gomez
Adam Johnson
Rivas
Durbin
Lecroy
Delois guerra
Slowey
Rivere
Crain
Matt moses
Blackburn

Guys who were major league players but nothing special

Ramos
Garza
Cuddyer
Liraiano
Kubel
Perkins

Top caliber players at one time.

Mauer
Morneau

That's the Twins list of the whole 2000's

Sorry if I didn't get excited for Hicks.

And cripes is that a ugly list! This team either doesn't have eye for talent and can't develop anyone.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:42 pm
What's the difference?

Twins top prospect compared to MLB top prospect is a pretty big difference.

This truly is a fair comparison by the expectations of each player....
Trout is only 2 years older then Buxton..
What had he accomplished by the time he was 25?
(only consider the accomplishments thru 2016)

All Star Games
2012 *
2013 (LF)
2014 (LF)
2015 (CF)
2016 (CF)
2018 (CF)

Awards
2012 AL Rookie of the Year
2012 AL Wilson Overall Def Player
2012 AL Wilson Def Player
2014 AL AS MVP