Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Buxton for the (below) Avg. fan

A place to discuss the MN Twins
jakazz30

Re: Buxton for the (below) Avg. fan

Post by jakazz30 »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:43 pm This kid is all class. I just wish he'd be able to stay healthy. Most of his injuries seem to be because he plays the game all out.
He plays it "all out", but not with much intelligence.
How many of his injuries result from plays he didn't make?
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:59 pm
Joboo wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:25 pm And he is hurt again.... jesus he is a superstar in the waiting if he can just stay healthy :(

Those who mention Mike Trout are unfair since that guy is the best player of this generation and will go down as one of the best to ever play the game. Mike Trout is unreal.
Before we call him a "Superstar", let's see him make a all star game first.

This is his first year where he has actually looked good.

Remember a couple years ago when Sano looked like a all generation talent? I do.
Nah, he was good in 2017 too.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
dennis1

Post by dennis1 »

The Twins are a much better team with him in the lineup. But here we are, huge series, and he's nowhere to be found because he can't stop running into walls. I'm tired of "that's who he is"! He needs to be aware of his surroundings, because he's just screwing the team by being unavailable as much as he is.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

2-0 versus the indians before he got injured on that saturday. 0-2 in the next two games.
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

it is RIDICULOUS how bad we are without him:

Twins overall:
118 games
71-47
60 win %

W/ Buxton:
82 games
57-25
69.5 win % (Dodgers are at 65.8% for best in ML)

w/o Buxton
36 games
14-22
38.9 win% (only 4 teams are worse than 40%, Det, Balt, Mia, KC)

so we are the best team in the league with him, and a bottom 5 team in the league when he's out.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

He's important.....
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

doesn't sound like buxton's going to be back anytime soon.

The Twins are 57-25 with Buxton, who injured his left shoulder in Miami, and 13-21 without him. Cruz had two three-homer games shortly before going on the 10-day IL with a wrist strain. Dyson was considered the best reliever traded at the deadline by FanGraphs, but struggled in his first two outings and is on the IL with right biceps tendonitis. Pineda had a 2.23 ERA in his last six starts before injuring his triceps.

Cruz, Dyson and Pineda are all expected to travel with the team to Milwaukee and Texas. Buxton is not.
dennis1

Post by dennis1 »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:47 am doesn't sound like buxton's going to be back anytime soon.

The Twins are 57-25 with Buxton, who injured his left shoulder in Miami, and 13-21 without him. Cruz had two three-homer games shortly before going on the 10-day IL with a wrist strain. Dyson was considered the best reliever traded at the deadline by FanGraphs, but struggled in his first two outings and is on the IL with right biceps tendonitis. Pineda had a 2.23 ERA in his last six starts before injuring his triceps.

Cruz, Dyson and Pineda are all expected to travel with the team to Milwaukee and Texas. Buxton is not.
Bad news. People can bitch all they want about the Pohlads, but this is the number one reason they're no longer in first place (nicely shown by Boxter a few posts earlier). He needs to be coached to be aware of his surroundings and not crash into walls or try killing himself in other ways. Game 7 of the World Series? Fine. Regular season against the Marlins? Dumb. You're doing the team no favors on the IL. As much as I love him as a player, I'm tired of him incurring an injury every time he makes a play.
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

it was said from the start that it would be weeks before he would maybe be able to come back. Sounds like Cruz is ready already though. Justin was mumbling something about cranking his wrist and it actually helped b/c it loosened up some ligaments or something and thinks Cruz is the same.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

dennis1 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:31 am
weimy froob wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:47 am doesn't sound like buxton's going to be back anytime soon.

Bad news. People can bitch all they want about the Pohlads, but this is the number one reason they're no longer in first place (nicely shown by Boxter a few posts earlier). He needs to be coached to be aware of his surroundings and not crash into walls or try killing himself in other ways. Game 7 of the World Series? Fine. Regular season against the Marlins? Dumb. You're doing the team no favors on the IL. As much as I love him as a player, I'm tired of him incurring an injury every time he makes a play.
Wrong... they are no longer in first because their pitching has been bad for 2 months, and the Indians have hit their stride. Please stop making excuses for management. From Lavine and Falvey’s paralysis by analysis, to Baldeli’s inability to manage a bullpen, I can’t believe this team squandered the best Twins lineup I’ve ever seen. Pathetic
Last edited by Small Hands on Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Lol. Good Lord. Buxton is not that big of a game changer. Some of you think this guy is a superstar.

Again, pitching is why they are wilting away.

If anything, maybe they should have shipped Buxton out for Thor.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
dennis1

Post by dennis1 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:27 pm

Lol. Good Lord. Buxton is not that big of a game changer. Some of you think this guy is a superstar.

Again, pitching is why they are wilting away.

If anything, maybe they should have shipped Buxton out for Thor.
Look at the numbers.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Just you guys watch. My boy, Buxton will come back and well retake the division.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Small Hands wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:24 pm

Wrong... they are no longer in first because their pitching has been bad for 2 months, and the Indians have hit their stride. Please stop making excuses for management. From Lavine and Falvey’s paralysis by analysis, to Baldeli’s inability to manage a bullpen, I can’t believe this team squandered the best Twins lineup I’ve ever seen. Pathetic
i think that the FO failed in not bringing in better pitching in june-forget about the deadline. i think rocco has been pretty bad at handling a mediocre to poor bullpen. i think if you go back to the start of the season you can question his managing decisions in 10 plus losses. making decision b instead of decision a might have resulted in wins in five of those games. maybe more.

but to not consider the importance of buxton to this lineup in all the tangible and intangible ways-and not come to the conclusion that if he had been playing 90 percent of all those games that they wouldn't still be in first place by 3-4 games is wrong.

i think that they'd have overcome the FO and manager screw ups and would still be in first if he had played. i can't see it any other way.
dennis1

Post by dennis1 »

You do realize that part of what made the pitching staff better was better outfield play? His presence makes pitchers better. Again: They were winning at an almost 70% clip with him, 40% without. That's not a coincidence.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

dennis1 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:09 pm

You do realize that part of what made the pitching staff better was better outfield play? His presence makes pitchers better. Again: They were winning at an almost 70% clip with him, 40% without. That's not a coincidence.
How does Buxton stop the Grand slam on Sunday in extra innings? I agree that his glove is a big deal, but the pitching has been terrible. They've been giving up a ton of deep shots. Either way, I wish he was in the lineup, but he is injury prone, so you can't count on him.
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:58 am

How does Buxton stop the Grand slam on Sunday in extra innings? I agree that his glove is a big deal, but the pitching has been terrible. They've been giving up a ton of deep shots. Either way, I wish he was in the lineup, but he is injury prone, so you can't count on him.
either by starting the game and making the game completely different, or being the pinch runner instead of a slow Adrianza and thus there is no 10th inning? he is safe by 10 feet instead of being thrown out by 10 feet.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

boxter432 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:13 am

either by starting the game and making the game completely different, or being the pinch runner instead of a slow Adrianza and thus there is no 10th inning? he is safe by 10 feet instead of being thrown out by 10 feet.
All hypothetical situations. It's fine. Agree to disagree I guess. I like Buxton, but pitching is our problem.
dennis1

Post by dennis1 »

Obviously he can't stop a grand slam. But there have been other instances, one being Jake Cave's spectacular screw-up a couple of weeks back that probably cost them a game. It would not have happened if Buxton were in. Balls that get into the gap, often don't when Buxton is in. Yes, the pitching is a problem, but not as big of one when Buxton plays.
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

Ball's that drop and be a double are singles. Or ball's that would normally be a hit turn into an out.

Now instead of a guy going 2nd to home, he only gets third. Or a ball he only can make it to becomes an out and now they give up a solo home run and not a 2 run homer.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Minnesota Twins: Byron Buxton (shoulder) cleared for baseball activities

The Minnesota Twins outfielder has been out since early August with a shoulder injury but could be able to begin a rehab assignment soon.
The Minnesota Twins haven’t had much good news on the field this week, but they received some good news off of it prior to Friday’s loss to the Detroit Tigers. Byron Buxton, who has been out since Aug. 3 with a left shoulder subluxation, was cleared for all baseball activities and should be able to begin a rehab assignment soon as he targets a September return according to MLB.com’s Do-Hyoung Park.

The return of Buxton should help spark a Twins offense that will need to produce thanks to the ineffectiveness of their pitching staff. Before going down, Buxton was having a breakout season at the plate, hitting .262 with 10 home runs and 46 RBI and has been the Twins’ main source of speed on the bases, collecting 14 of the Twins MLB-low 25 stolen bases.

Where Buxton’s main issue right now is the style in which he plays defense. Buxton is an elite defender and thanks to his speed, he can get to balls that most outfielders can’t get to with an 8.4 UZR. While that rating is the second-highest of his career, his tendency to go all-out for catches has landed him on the injured list three times this season (with one from a hit by pitch in June).

With significant splits for the Twins with Buxton in and out of the lineup, it begs the question whether Buxton should tone down his approach in order to stay healthy for the most pivotal part of the season.

In any event, the Twins will welcome Buxton back to the lineup with open arms as they look to hold on in the American League Central race.
dennis1

Post by dennis1 »

What's the over/under for games he plays before getting hurt again?
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:06 pm Minnesota Twins: Byron Buxton (shoulder) cleared for baseball activities

The Minnesota Twins outfielder has been out since early August with a shoulder injury but could be able to begin a rehab assignment soon.
The Minnesota Twins haven’t had much good news on the field this week, but they received some good news off of it prior to Friday’s loss to the Detroit Tigers. Byron Buxton, who has been out since Aug. 3 with a left shoulder subluxation, was cleared for all baseball activities and should be able to begin a rehab assignment soon as he targets a September return according to MLB.com’s Do-Hyoung Park.

The return of Buxton should help spark a Twins offense that will need to produce thanks to the ineffectiveness of their pitching staff. Before going down, Buxton was having a breakout season at the plate, hitting .262 with 10 home runs and 46 RBI and has been the Twins’ main source of speed on the bases, collecting 14 of the Twins MLB-low 25 stolen bases.

Where Buxton’s main issue right now is the style in which he plays defense. Buxton is an elite defender and thanks to his speed, he can get to balls that most outfielders can’t get to with an 8.4 UZR. While that rating is the second-highest of his career, his tendency to go all-out for catches has landed him on the injured list three times this season (with one from a hit by pitch in June).

With significant splits for the Twins with Buxton in and out of the lineup, it begs the question whether Buxton should tone down his approach in order to stay healthy for the most pivotal part of the season.

In any event, the Twins will welcome Buxton back to the lineup with open arms as they look to hold on in the American League Central race.
Buxton should not tone down his approach in order to stay healthy. He makes game saving plays, ends rallies, and changes the way the defense sets up. I can't imagine Rocco going up to Buxton and say "hey, tone it down in the outfield so you don't get hurt".

I'm all for giving him extra rest if he needs it.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

ForCaleb wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:03 am
weimy froob wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:06 pm Minnesota Twins: Byron Buxton (shoulder) cleared for baseball activities

Buxton should not tone down his approach in order to stay healthy. He makes game saving plays, ends rallies, and changes the way the defense sets up. I can't imagine Rocco going up to Buxton and say "hey, tone it down in the outfield so you don't get hurt".

I'm all for giving him extra rest if he needs it.
Hey, stop turning routine singles into doubles like no player ever has.
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

Buxton is playing in a re-hab game today (Sunday Aug. 25th) in low 1A Cedar Rapids (Kernels).
Since I don't follow things very closely this news came as a big surprise to me. I figured he was at Triple A Rochester.
https://www.milb.com/cedar-rapids/news/ ... -310263126
By Andrew Pantini / Cedar Rapids Kernels | August 24, 2019 4:37 PM

Cedar Rapids, IA - The Cedar Rapids Kernels and Minnesota Twins announce that OF Byron Buxton will join the Kernels on a MLB rehab assignment which is scheduled to start on Sunday, August 25th.

While this is not an official move, the Twins have confirmed that he will be joining the Kernels for a rehab assignment. Buxton has played in 82 games with the Twins this season, batting .262 with 10 HR and 46 RBI. He was placed on the 10-day injured list on August 3rd with a left shoulder subluxation.

Buxton played for the Kernels during the 2013 season, batting .341 with 8 HR and 55 RBI in 68 games. He was named the MWL Prospect and Player of the Year for 2013 and led all of MiLB that season with 18 triples. He was selected by the Twins in the first round (second overall) of the 2012 First Year Player Draft out of Appling County HS in Baxley, GA.

The Kernels return to Perfect Game Field at Veterans Memorial Stadium on Saturday, August 24th to host Peoria at 6:35 PM for the start of a seven-game homestand that continues through Friday, August 30th
Sky Spy in the Sky !
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

Per fsn yesterdsy Could be up Tuesday if rehab today (hitting DHI believe) and tomorrow.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

How long until he's injured again?

I'll give it mid September.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

Today Buxton did not play outfield only DH.
He had a double, a walk and struck out. Then he left the game because I think they thought they had it won and another DH came to bat when they could have really used Buxton (for possible insurance runs) with runners on base because :
The Kernels lead 5-0 and only needed three outs to win. Instead they give up 9 runs in the top of the 9th and lose 9-5.
I'm not sure why he left the game. He is going to play outfield Monday night.

Sky Spy in the Sky !
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

See how much better the pitchers look with Buxton back in center and Max in right.
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

No Buxton in a Kernels uni tonight. Now they say Tuesday night he will play in Cedar Rapids, at least that's what someone trustable told me.
Sky Spy in the Sky !