Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gladden was talking during today's game about how the Twins hitters are much more aggressive and he credited this to

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Blandon

Gladden was talking during today's game about how the Twins hitters are much more aggressive and he credited this to

Post by Blandon »

... a new coaching philosophy. He mentioned that working the count isn't always to the advantage of the hitter because hitting with two strikes is so difficult. He also noted that the days of watching a first-pitch cookie down the middle are over.

I wonder if the absence of Joe Mauer is also playing a part in freeing hitters up to swing away rather than emulating the hitting approach of the team's "star."

Am I on to something or on something?
Initiated a thread that has been nominated for froob chat HOF.
Named by Nigel as a "froob to watch."
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Gladden was talking during today's game about how the Twins hitters are much more aggressive and he credited this to

Post by RubeTube »

Blandon wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:21 pm ... a new coaching philosophy. He mentioned that working the count isn't always to the advantage of the hitter because hitting with two strikes is so difficult. He also noted that the days of watching a first-pitch cookie down the middle are over.

I wonder if the absence of Joe Mauer is also playing a part in freeing hitters up to swing away rather than emulating the hitting approach of the team's "star."

It has nothing to do with Mauer. They finally cleaned out the last of the #TwinsWay guy's with the Roco move.

It's been all in house guy's for years with the same philosophy. Enter the new gms, manager and analytics playng a huge roll and this is what you get.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hornets

Re: Gladden was talking during today's game about how the Twins hitters are much more aggressive and he credited this to

Post by Hornets »

I noticed this same thing (and commented on it) after the first 4 or 5 games....yes, MUCH more aggressive and a lot of first pitch swings. I love it....if that first one is comin down the middle ya gotta take a whack at it!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

most of the players on the team are aggressive hitters. It has nothing to do with Mauer.
BBG

Post by BBG »

It's true that they are building a different identity from the Mauer era which is really exciting for the fans. Gone are the days of small ball and moving guys over and pitching to contact.

The Twins are finally playing a modern style of ball and they have been successful in this extremely small sample size
Blandon

Post by Blandon »

BBG wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:05 pm It's true that they are building a different identity from the Mauer era which is really exciting for the fans. Gone are the days of small ball and moving guys over and pitching to contact.

The Twins are finally playing a modern style of ball and they have been successful in this extremely small sample size
Agreed. It's a much more entertaining brand of baseball!
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

BBG wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:05 pm It's true that they are building a different identity from the Mauer era which is really exciting for the fans. Gone are the days of small ball and moving guys over and pitching to contact.

Well said BBG. Loving this new look Twins. Liked Roco the first time I heard him interviewed. :thumbsup:
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Blandon wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:21 pm I wonder if the absence of Joe Mauer is also playing a part in
Can we stop blaming Joe for EVERYTHING? He was literally one player. His approach at the plate didn't have any effect on any other players. That's all from the coaches instilling a "wait for your pitch" small ball philosophy because of the entire "Twins way" bullshit.

What's next? "Since Mauer retired, the Twins pitchers are a lot more aggresive!"
salamander

Post by salamander »

Blandon wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:21 pm ... a new coaching philosophy. He mentioned that working the count isn't always to the advantage of the hitter because hitting with two strikes is so difficult. He also noted that the days of watching a first-pitch cookie down the middle are over.

I liked Mauers approach at the plate other than watching that first pitch every time.

He got too much grief though. He's a great hitter. Imagine if he'd have played at Yankee stadium.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Blandon

Post by Blandon »

DC4MVP wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:15 pm
Blandon wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:21 pm I wonder if the absence of Joe Mauer is also playing a part in
Can we stop blaming Joe for EVERYTHING? He was literally one player. His approach at the plate didn't have any effect on any other players. That's all from the coaches instilling a "wait for your pitch" small ball philosophy because of the entire "Twins way" bullshit.

What's next? "Since Mauer retired, the Twins pitchers are a lot more aggresive!"
The idea that other players on a team (any team, any sport) might emulate that team's "best" player is pretty reasonable.
And my post doesn't blame Joe for ANYTHING, let alone everything.
D_H

Post by D_H »

salamander wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:00 pm

I liked Mauers approach at the plate other than watching that first pitch every time.

He got too much grief though. He's a great hitter. Imagine if he'd have played at Yankee stadium.
Joe Mauer is far from a great hitter he averaged approximately 8 home runs 65 runs scored and 60 RBI per year. He's a lifetime 306 hitter and if he would not have spent the majority of his career hitting on the cement hard Metrodome infield where those 18 hopper's got through ...he would have been a lifetime 290 hitter. People need to stop over estimating him because he was from Minnesota, he will NEVER come close to sniffing the Hall of Fame.

End of thread
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:47 pm

It has nothing to do with Mauer. They finally cleaned out the last of the #TwinsWay guy's with the Roco move.

It's been all in house guy's for years with the same philosophy. Enter the new gms, manager and analytics playng a huge roll and this is what you get.
It's only been the biggest bitch about the Twins for 20 years. Thank God for Rocco!