Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Falvine and 1 year contracts

A place to discuss the MN Twins
bubu dubu.

Falvine and 1 year contracts

Post by bubu dubu. »

I like the idea of finding one year flyers to hold the place for prospects...but who are the prospects they are expecting to step in?

They relying on a 20 year old Royce to take Schoop's spot next year? (well, actually have Polanco play 2B, and Royce SS)
Brent Rooker to take Cron's spot?
Kiriloff to take Cruz's spot?

From what I hear of Kiriloff, maybe he can take over full time DH/spot OF regularly, but for Cron and Schoop, I wish they were signed at least through next season.

Are Falvine just going to rely on these 1 year fillers every year? Again, I get the strategy, but I'm not sure our farm is ready for it.
ForCaleb

Re: Falvine and 1 year contracts

Post by ForCaleb »

Imo, the strategy of 1-year contracts will be effective because it gives the team more options/flexibility for the players and the front office. I don't think the Twins will have to rely on any of the prospects moving up if they're not ready. Yes, the FO might be paying more for 1-year instead of multiple year contracts, but it's not that much of a hit to the payroll.

If a prospect is having a breakout year and obviously ready for the majors, the FO can bring player up and the odd man out is only on a 1 year deal.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

ForCaleb wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:12 am Imo, the strategy of 1-year contracts will be effective because it gives the team more options/flexibility for the players and the front office. I don't think the Twins will have to rely on any of the prospects moving up if they're not ready. Yes, the FO might be paying more for 1-year instead of multiple year contracts, but it's not that much of a hit to the payroll.

If a prospect is having a breakout year and obviously ready for the majors, the FO can bring player up and the odd man out is only on a 1 year deal.
Agree. Also, I believe they have a team option on Cruz the following year.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

The Twins have done this b4....
The way the FA market works now.....
If a prospect isnt ready yet?
There will be another FA willing to sign a 1 year deal b4 2020..
Heck.....one of the best closers in MLB over the recent past is still a FA..
Would he take a 1 year deal at this point for a fair amount? Probably.

Unless you are a "Mike Trout".....I think the long-term contracts are history..especially for pitchers.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

jakazz30 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:55 pm The Twins have done this b4....

Unless you are a "Mike Trout".....I think the long-term contracts are history..especially for pitchers.
I do agree that long term contracts are mostly history...especially with pitchers. Long term contracts are better used on your own, young players.

I've stated since last season when they signed some 1 year contracts, that its a good strategy, however for this year, specifically with Schoop, I wish he was signed at least for two years. You are banking on him having a comeback year to help the team, and if he does, then he's likely gone, and there isnt much of a contingency plan. Just kind of wish they had someone in the waiting for middle IF, as I don't think Royce will be ready yet...maybe they are hoping for something with Gordon?
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:09 pm

I do agree that long term contracts are mostly history...especially with pitchers. Long term contracts are better used on your own, young players.

I've stated since last season when they signed some 1 year contracts, that its a good strategy, however for this year, specifically with Schoop, I wish he was signed at least for two years. You are banking on him having a comeback year to help the team, and if he does, then he's likely gone, and there isnt much of a contingency plan. Just kind of wish they had someone in the waiting for middle IF, as I don't think Royce will be ready yet...maybe they are hoping for something with Gordon?
The top guy's are still going to get paid.

Look at Machado, Harper and Trout.

Pitchers are a bit different but the very elite that are still at young age will be paid.

They need to add a salary cap.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:30 pm

Pitchers are a bit different but the very elite that are still at young age will be paid.

Top guys of course will get paid, and Azz brought that up too. But its about the other guys right now, who 5 or so years ago would get locked up on long term deals, who arent getting locked up now. Teams are too worried about a Yu Darvish or Chris Davis type deal.

Also, a salary cap mostly does exist in the MLB, with the guise of the Competitive balance tax...theres only a few teams this "salary cap" doesnt apply to, and those are the teams so rich, that they don't care if they go over the cap/tax threshold. Maybe the rule needs to be tweaked, so that the NY's and LA's of the league abide by the rules the rest of the league plays with, but I don't have a problem with teams willing to spend money when they see their window.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:38 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:30 pm

Top guys of course will get paid, and Azz brought that up too. But its about the other guys right now, who 5 or so years ago would get locked up on long term deals, who arent getting locked up now. Teams are too worried about a Yu Darvish or Chris Davis type deal.

Also, a salary cap mostly does exist in the MLB, with the guise of the Competitive balance tax...theres only a few teams this "salary cap" doesnt apply to, and those are the teams so rich, that they don't care if they go over the cap/tax threshold. Maybe the rule needs to be tweaked, so that the NY's and LA's of the league abide by the rules the rest of the league plays with, but I don't have a problem with teams willing to spend money when they see their window.
I can see that someone like Schoop probably should've been signed with at least a team option for 2020.
The Twins are providing the opportunity to "prove" himself...they should get something in return.
The Replacements

I think players like Shoop will be available every year at free agency. Without PED's, teams are not going to pay the majority of free agents into their 30s.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

The Replacements wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:01 pm I think players like Shoop will be available every year at free agency. Without PED's, teams are not going to pay the majority of free agents into their 30s.
Schoop is only 27 though
The Replacements

Schoop was available because his numbers were declining. He may not be in his 30s but he has to prove he's still an every day player. Look at how many 2B were available this year. None of them got big money. So glad they didn't extend Dozier after his 42 HR season.
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

ForCaleb wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:12 am Imo, the strategy of 1-year contracts will be effective because it gives the team more options/flexibility for the players and the front office. I don't think the Twins will have to rely on any of the prospects moving up if they're not ready. Yes, the FO might be paying more for 1-year instead of multiple year contracts, but it's not that much of a hit to the payroll.

Nobody should care if they cost a bit more if they aren't in contention somebody else is paying for the last couple months anyway after we trade the 1 year rental. I love their strategy. If the prospects aren't ready sign another stopgap next offseason.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

bombers3shooter wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:54 pm

Nobody should care if they cost a bit more if they aren't in contention somebody else is paying for the last couple months anyway after we trade the 1 year rental. I love their strategy. If the prospects aren't ready sign another stopgap next offseason.
Also love the idea that it might cost a bit more annually, but theres basically no risk, as theres no hard cap, and if they suck, you just cut ties with them. My only issue is that if one of these guys does breakout, you likely lose them.
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:28 pm
bombers3shooter wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:54 pm

Also love the idea that it might cost a bit more annually, but theres basically no risk, as theres no hard cap, and if they suck, you just cut ties with them. My only issue is that if one of these guys does breakout, you likely lose them.
Sure, but that's a pretty modest loss really if you have someone in the cupboard that is ready and needs the at bats every day the following year anyways. Not sure how free agency works in the MLB completely, but could a 1 year guy that signs a nice multi-year deal with another team the following year net is a early comp pick?