Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Draft chat

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Style

Draft chat

Post by Style »

Over the past few years, I've become more and more intrigued with the MLB draft and the process/strategy associated with it. The current regime has seemed to prioritize drafting bats high and looking for pitchers later or via other avenues such as trades.

Do we think that strategy will continue? Is this the year an arm is selected rd 1? Does it depend on the board?

In doing some mock draft searches, it appears that C from OSU is the runaway leader for the #1 overall pick. After that things seem to open up pretty quickly and lots of different scenarios could happen.

Josh Jung, 3B, Texas Tech appears to be a good fit in terms of positional need and skill level. Do we have any college/HS gurus that could shine a light on some of the other prospects that could be in play at #13?
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Car Ramrod

Re: Draft chat

Post by Car Ramrod »

Rece Hinds is a 6'4" 210 high school senior 3B/1B prospect out of IMG. He is committed to LSU but it has been said that a 1st round selection will get him to sign. He has A TON of power and was once (as early as last fall) considered a top 10 pick. Now he is projected middle to back end of the first round because there are a little bit of rumblings/concerns that he doesn't pick up spin well, leading to some strikeouts.

Still an intriguing prospect that has some crazy power potential.
Style

Post by Style »

That's a name I've read about too. Good info about him slipping a bit because of his poor pitch recognition.

I've also read a guy that might fit the Twins' brass style is the UNC 1B. I guess he's out of MN. I'm blanking on his name. He has that high exit velocity which seems to be what the regime craves.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Hinds and Jung as mentioned prior are on top of my list for us for positional players.

Gotta think they turn to pitching this year as its been so long since we've gone that route.(tyler jay over Benintendi)

Not a great a great class as far as top heavy but a good handful of SP prospects with mid first grades plenty are also lefties.
fatbastard

Post by fatbastard »

Totally f’d up that Jay pick. I was all for Benintendi that year. Oh well, our OF is pretty good right now. But we would of had one heck of a trade chip.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

I would guess they try and work out a below slot deal in the first round and sign 3-4 high upside HS pitchers overslot later. I heard college pitching crop is weak this year as well. Below is my likely most picks for the Twins:

3B - Josh Jung
3B - Rece Hinds
1B/OF - Michael Busch
Style

Post by Style »

I’d like to see some numbers on this, but it seems early round bats make it to the majors at a much higher rate than early round arms. Maybe it’s just our history with Johnson, Jay, Stewart, etc. that has me skeptical of drafting an arm at #13.
The Replacements

Style wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:53 am I’d like to see some numbers on this, but it seems early round bats make it to the majors at a much higher rate than early round arms. Maybe it’s just our history with Johnson, Jay, Stewart, etc. that has me skeptical of drafting an arm at #13.
College hitters have the highest hit rate. I would not be opposed to a college pitcher but that's a bigger crap shoot.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

fatbastard wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:58 pm Totally f’d up that Jay pick. I was all for Benintendi that year. Oh well, our OF is pretty good right now. But we would of had one heck of a trade chip.
Fatbastard is here!!!!! Nice to see u made it. :beer:
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

My strategy would largely be HS arms and college bats. Arms can be protected better, and bats are more developed. I am also a big proponent of going below slot in the 1st round or 2 in order to grab a player or 2 later who may have signability issues. Baseball, more that any other sport, is about the number of bullets you have in the gun as opposed to the caliber of those bullets.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

fatbastard wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:58 pm Totally f’d up that Jay pick. I was all for Benintendi that year. Oh well, our OF is pretty good right now. But we would of had one heck of a trade chip.
Welcome back, homes.

:bday:
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
The Replacements

First mock draft from MLB Pipeline:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-pipeline-s ... mock-draft

13. Twins: Bryson Stott, SS, Nevada-Las Vegas

The best of an unusually deep crop of college shortstops, Stott is a proven offensive performer and a good bet to stay at the position.

Scouting grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 45 | Run: 55 | Arm: 55 | Field: 55 | Overall: 55

College shortstops with solid all-around tools aren't always easy to find in any Draft class. That's why Stott, who looks and plays a lot like Giants shortstop Brandon Crawford, was high on lists entering this spring. The UNLV product has continued to perform as a junior, cementing his status as a potential top 10 pick.

Nearly all of Stott's tools grade out as at least above-average. He has the chance to be a plus hitter, with very advanced bat to ball skills. He's never overmatched and always seems comfortable in the box, handling good velocity and offspeed stuff equally well, while walking more than he's struck out in his college career. Even when he's off-balance, he keeps his hands back and shoots the ball the other way to left field. And while he'll never sell out his hit tool for power, he'll show pop in batting practice and it's easy to dream on 15-18 homers annually at the next level.

While Stott does show off a plus arm at times, the one area there's a split camp might be his ability to play shortstop in the big leagues. Most give him a chance to stick there, given his makeup and instincts, unless the team he's on has a better defender on the roster. At the very least, he'll be given the opportunity to do so after hearing his name called in the first round.
The Replacements

Top international prospect (#8) expected to sign with the Twins:

Enmanuel Rodriguez

Rodriguez has the potential to have above-average tools across the board, and that's great news for the team that signs him. The young left-handed hitter profiles as a center fielder, but he could end up at one of the corner outfield spots in the future.

Rodriguez is athletic with a strong body and a medium frame. He has shown a solid hitting approach and advanced knowledge of the strike zone for a player his age. He has an efficient swing that creates lots of backspin and generates power to all fields. He also has a real feel and natural instincts for the game and specifically, hitting.

Rodriguez can cover some ground in the outfield. He has a strong arm with an excellent action that could make him a plus defender in the future. He also runs the timed 60-yard run in 6.5 seconds and is a smart baserunner. Overall, he has a skill set comparable to a young Eddie Rosario. He trains with Alberto Fana in Santiago, Dominican Republic. The Twins are the favorites to sign the young outfielder.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Style wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:31 pm Over the past few years, I've become more and more intrigued with the MLB draft and the process/strategy associated with it. The current regime has seemed to prioritize drafting bats high and looking for pitchers later or via other avenues such as trades.

Do we think that strategy will continue? Is this the year an arm is selected rd 1? Does it depend on the board?

In doing some mock draft searches, it appears that C from OSU is the runaway leader for the #1 overall pick. After that things seem to open up pretty quickly and lots of different scenarios could happen.

Josh Jung, 3B, Texas Tech appears to be a good fit in terms of positional need and skill level. Do we have any college/HS gurus that could shine a light on some of the other prospects that could be in play at #13?
I generally don't know shit about the draft until I come here and see the names you guys throw out. Then a little research and I still don't know enough to have a real opinion as to individual players. But I have always had one thought about the draft backed by plenty of Twins evidence. Never take pitchers high. Ever. The odds of hitting on even just a major league pitcher vs a legit position player are tiny. Plus factor in the added money when they 100% need TJ surgery and you have a rule carved in stone.
Rock Me Abbrederis

Post by Rock Me Abbrederis »

In the mid-later rounds, the Twins should draft Northwestern State’s Nathan Jones
The Replacements

Thrillkill wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:31 am
Style wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:31 pm Over the past few years, I've become more and more intrigued with the MLB draft and the process/strategy associated with it. The current regime has seemed to prioritize drafting bats high and looking for pitchers later or via other avenues such as trades.

I generally don't know shit about the draft until I come here and see the names you guys throw out. Then a little research and I still don't know enough to have a real opinion as to individual players. But I have always had one thought about the draft backed by plenty of Twins evidence. Never take pitchers high. Ever. The odds of hitting on even just a major league pitcher vs a legit position player are tiny. Plus factor in the added money when they 100% need TJ surgery and you have a rule carved in stone.
I doubt the Twins pick a pitcher with their first pick. This is suppose to be a really weak draft for college pitchers. My guess would be a college hitter or go under slot on a HS hitter. They have picks 39 and 54 which could be for pitching.
The Replacements

With just over a week until the draft, here's the latest from Jonathan Mayo:

13. Twins: Shea Langeliers, C, Baylor

The Twins like Carroll, but with him off the board, they could set their sights on Langeliers, a terrific defensive catcher who has shaken off a hamate injury to come on with the bat of late this spring. He also homered to open up the Big 12 tournament.
Style

Post by Style »

I literally wouldn’t be able to spot a single draft prospect if they were standing next to me in the grocery store, yet I’m super jacked for the draft anyway. Still hoping for a bat!
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

So, MLB could do something smart, like hold the draft tonight, and go through the weekend...but, they start it on Monday for some reason.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:36 am So, MLB could do something smart, like hold the draft tonight, and go through the weekend...but, they start it on Monday for some reason.
Yeah, I never got that. I know only diehards will follow it, but having it on a Monday afternoon/evening just isn't a good way to market it.
The Replacements

Here's a possible name (late riser) to know:

Keoni Cavaco

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 55 | Run: 60 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50 | Overall: 50

Eastlake High School in Chula Vista, Calif., hasn't had a player taken in the top few rounds since Adrian Gonzalez was the somewhat surprising No. 1 overall pick of the Marlins back in 2000. Thanks to a breakout fall and a consistently solid spring, Cavaco has popped up to be the next from Eastlake to likely go in the early stages of the Draft.

Cavaco first started getting attention for his complete tools package at the Angel Elite showcase in the fall, where his tremendous raw power particularly stood out. The only question about his offensive profile is how consistently he'll hit to get to that power, as there is some swing and miss to his game. Beyond the bat, Cavaco will show flashes of plus tools across the board. He's clocked sub four-second times home to first out of the box and he has the chance to be a plus defender at third, with very good hands, footwork, a plus arm and a willingness to stick his nose in the dirt.

The industry was sleeping on Cavaco, who wasn't invited to most of the summer showcase circuit events, so there is a lack of track record and the infielder hasn't been challenged against tough competition like some have. But scouts are awake now, pouring in to see this pop-up prospect, one who is now likely to go early enough to forego his commitment to San Diego State.

From MLB.com

In his most recent projection, MLB Pipeline expert Jim Callis had the Twins taking third baseman Keoni Cavaco of Eastlake High School in Chula Vista, Calif., writing, "No first-rounder has more helium at the moment." Jonathan Mayo landed on Baylor catcher Shea Langeliers, who boasts a tremendous arm as part of a strong defensive skill set to go with a solid hitting record but dropped on many Draft boards after breaking his hamate bone earlier this season. Callis and Mayo had previously projected that the Twins could take Bryson Stott, a college shortstop out of UNLV, or Corbin Carroll, an outfielder from Seattle with one of the most advanced high school bats in the Draft.
Style

Post by Style »

Nice info!
Style

Post by Style »

Baylor catcher Langeliers with 3 HRs and 11 RBIs yesterday!
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Will be watching tonight!!!

:drinky:
The Replacements

5 most likely names to be the pick at #13:

Shea Langeliers, C, Baylor
Bryson Stott, SS, UNLV
Keoni Cavaco, 3B, Eastlake HS (Chula Vista, Calif.)
Corbin Carroll, OF, Lakeside HS (Seattle)
Alek Manoah, RHP, West Virginia
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

The Replacements wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:58 am 5 most likely names to be the pick at #13:

Bryson Stott, SS, UNLV
I would be happy with Langeliers, Cavaco, or Stott. Jung could be on that list as well.

I think they should stay away from Carroll at 13, 5'10" 160-170 with a frame that suggests he cant get much bigger. Hits a lot of ground balls. Is considered old for a prep player which teams are known to dislike.
The Replacements

Car Ramrod wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:29 am
The Replacements wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:58 am 5 most likely names to be the pick at #13:

Bryson Stott, SS, UNLV
I would be happy with Langeliers, Cavaco, or Stott. Jung could be on that list as well.

I think they should stay away from Carroll at 13, 5'10" 160-170 with a frame that suggests he cant get much bigger. Hits a lot of ground balls. Is considered old for a prep player which teams are known to dislike.
I heard they really like Carroll. Sounds like he can really hit but the power is the question. Jung is a possibility as well. I'm more curious about the their next two picks. If they pick Cavaco, can they save money for a couple of overslot HS arms?
Style

Post by Style »

Bryson Stott, SS, UNLV

Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat. The Carroll connection seems odd. This FO seems to favor power bats.
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

The Replacements wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:47 am

Bryson Stott, SS, UNLV

I heard they really like Carroll. Sounds like he can really hit but the power is the question. Jung is a possibility as well. I'm more curious about the their next two picks. If they pick Cavaco, can they save money for a couple of overslot HS arms?
I've read Benintendi comps with Carroll but man, that size does raise some eyebrows. I might be wrong but guys that size that make it seem to be the exception to the rule.
The Replacements

Car Ramrod wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:55 pm
The Replacements wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:47 am

I've read Benintendi comps with Carroll but man, that size does raise some eyebrows. I might be wrong but guys that size that make it seem to be the exception to the rule.
I heard Jonathan Mayo say he's one of his favorites and could go top 10.